You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fat Club - let's lose weight, quit smoking & be more healthy in 2018.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,221
    edited January 2018
    Was hoping for a few more, but we have enough to make something of this now.

Phantom, Phil & me are in Fat Club, with Marky & Ryan both having joint membership of the Fat & Tab Club.

First official update from everyone is next Friday, but feel free to update as often as you like.

Marky is planning to quit smoking tomorrow - good luck mate. If he succeeds, the thread will have been worthwhile already.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Welcome to Waller. I am keeping up with the exercise and the healthy eating starts properly for me tomorrow.
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    I'm in please - for stopping smoking. Hope I'm not too late to the party.

I've already made a few positive lifestyle changes this year - meditation, cold showers*, meat reducing, reading more, less social media, less booze, more exercise - but feel I'm going to really struggle to quit tabs. Perhaps this thread will give me the impetus I need. Haven't got a quitting date (end of Feb?) yet but I've been cutting down significantly for the last week or so.

Best of luck everyone - will follow with interest.

*these are the absolute nuts, btw.
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    Oh, and I'm underweight, if anything. Hoping to put on a few kilos of muscle over the next handful of months.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    Welcome aboard SR23 and best of luck!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Is this likely to undo the good I done by cutting the sugars in my coffee from 2 to 1?

On a more positive note... I am down to 6 ciggies and have intentionally not bought another packet. Going for it after these 6.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,039
    edited January 2018
    Weighed myself today, shocking.

My start weight is 19st 9lbs, I knew I had put a bit more timber on over Christmas but was genuinely wounded!

Target weight is 15st, I'm fairly tall at 6'3 so this would be a fairly healthy weight to aim for especially as I hope to turn some of that fat into muscle with the exercise regime that I will be trying to keep to.

I'm Best Man at my mates wedding in September so hope to have shifted a good couple of stone by then.

It's going to be tough and even tougher if marky continues to post photos of takeaways haha ;)

Back on the vape today also.

Good luck all, we can do this.

Hope we are all happy with our progress on Friday.
  • Options

Roll on Friday.
  • Options

Wonder how Marky got on yesterday - he was due to have his last ever ciggie.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Tikay10 said:

Fair play to you for going cold turkey. Any tips for dealing with cravings? The vape does take the edge off slightly but there are times when I could murder a smoke, and I did indeed end up having a blip and pretty much started smoking again over Christmas.

In the past I've had a packet of crisps or something similar instead of a smoke to try and deal with any cravings and obviously that is no longer an option.

I know your health scare is a pretty big motivator, is it that alone that has dealt with any cravings?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

It is weird. I am so determined to quit this time that I am scared to start... I haven't failed yet but mostly because I haven't 'started stopping'. I am going to do it, I just keep delaying d-day for another day or 2.

I will get to it! The inhalator is sitting on the coffee table waiting to be opened. Just struggling to find the courage to take the plunge as I know when I do quit I am going to stick to it, which rather pathetically, seems scary...

I will watch that Alan Carr audio book very soon and hopefully it improves my psychology and gives me that kick start.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    waller02 said:

It's going to be tough and even tougher if marky continues to post photos of takeaways haha ;)

The psychology of all this is very interesting.

I have approached studies, work and most other aspects of my life in such a logical and dedicated way for the last few years but when it comes to this stuff I feel like the troublesome kid up the back of the class who nobody can get through to.

#WillEndUpGettingKickedOutOfFatClub

#WillPowerOfASmallChild

• Options
    I can't help thinking of bullseye everytime I look at your photo of the curry (which is daily, numerous times).

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Healthy eating has started now. Hopefully we can move on to page 4 and away from the curry pic soon!

Breakfast = Porridge
    Lunch = soup OR one round sandwich
    Tea = healthy meal (e.g. yesterday was sea bass fillet with noodles, tonight it's a chicken casserole)

Most importantly no cakes/chocolate - I do have some clementines and a packet of cranberries+cashews to counter any between meal pangs.

And I am keeping up with the walking.

Fingers crossed for sub 15st 2lb on Friday.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,339
    Phantom66 said:

Healthy eating has started now. Hopefully we can move on to page 4 and away from the curry pic soon!

Breakfast = Porridge
    Lunch = soup OR one round sandwich
    Tea = healthy meal (e.g. yesterday was sea bass fillet with noodles, tonight it's a chicken casserole)

Most importantly no cakes/chocolate - I do have some clementines and a packet of cranberries+cashews to counter any between meal pangs.

And I am keeping up with the walking.

Fingers crossed for sub 15st 2lb on Friday.

10/10 for the plan, if that doesn't work in the long term I would suggest amputation of one or more limbs to reach you target weight.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Tikay10 said:

Fair play to you for going cold turkey. Any tips for dealing with cravings? The vape does take the edge off slightly but there are times when I could murder a smoke, and I did indeed end up having a blip and pretty much started smoking again over Christmas.

In the past I've had a packet of crisps or something similar instead of a smoke to try and deal with any cravings and obviously that is no longer an option.

I know your health scare is a pretty big motivator, is it that alone that has dealt with any cravings?

Yeah, have a heart attack & owe your life to prompt action by the NHS.

So, I was in hospital briefly, & then when I got home, Gill was there to look after me.

I cam honestly say I had zero cravings - at the time.

Now, however, I miss smoking so badly, & all the time.

Don't think there is an easy path, you just gotta do it. Before you have a heart attack, ideally........
  • Options

Reminders to:

Fat Club;

@Essexphil

@waller02

@Phantom66

@Tikay10

Smokies Club

@markycash

@SR23

Tomorrow - Friday - is "Weekly Report" day.

We have all gotta be honest. There's no thread penalty for failing, we just all gotta try & help each other.
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    edited January 2018
    Smoked all my life,tried to give it up a few years ago,managed to stay of the cigs for 18 months (with the help of a puffer) stupidly went back on the cigs ,costing me about £600 a month, really need to give it another go.
  • Options
    ^^^^

We are here, waiting for you.......
  • Options
    Welcome Mad Monk!