You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fat Club - let's lose weight, quit smoking & be more healthy in 2018.

Comments

• Options
    IH8UButlerIH8UButler Member Posts: 196
    Was dreading the lunchtime weigh in today as not made as much effort as I should have, failed to do any proper workouts and had a pizza on Wednesday, with a few biscuits most nights.

Was therefore surprised to see this

For a drop of 4lbs to 15st 5lbs. Have made some changes, think drinking more water has led to less mindless snacking, and managed a walk every lunchtime. Also been having either porridge or smoothie for breakfast, and cut down on bread, swapping sandwich at lunch for sushi or a salad.

Tip of the week: - For days you dont have time to make a salad at home, Morrisons salad bar is a good bet, as you can build your own salad and keep it healthier than the pre packaged ones which tend to have pasta in. Alternatively M+S also have 2-4-1 salad boxes as well, the super green one tastes quite good!

Results:
    Week 1: 15st 9lbs
    Week 2: 15st 5lbs

Strategy here is to be a little bit better each week, so will try and keep snacks to a minimum, and add a couple of workouts into the schedule for next week
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250

Well done Butler, good work.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,039
    Well done guys. Another good week and good to see phantom back on track. Agree with butler regarding drinking more water to help avoid snacking, it's the tactic that I have been using when facing the mid evening hunger pangs.

Update:
    Start Weight: 19st 9lbs
    Last Week: 18st 13lbs
    Current Weight (week 4):

So, only another pound loss but, as others have mentioned, this is the norm after the first 2 or 3 weeks so no complaints. Will always be happy with any loss no matter how small.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Total loss: 11lbs.....3lb off the first stone.

Also, still not smoking!

Keep up the good work all, a great effort by everyone.
  • Options

Well done Ryan, & yeah, slow & steady works best.

Just 3lbs more & that'll be a stone. Top work.

Even better, no ciggies. It's really hard to diet AND quit smoking, so you are doing just great.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    "I'm certain you will give up when you want to Marky, I wonder if attempting to associated smoking with a negative feeling might help. I.e what would happen if you bought a packet of strong smokes (unfiltered) sat in your car and didn't leave it until you had smoked the whole packet, would this make you feel ill enough to not want to pick up another **** for a good while?" - omm

If you threw in some coffee I would be probably be as happy as a pig in *****

I used to smoke these things which are rather awful...

I will get to this. If I put my mind to something I don't let go easily. It is just putting my mind to it that has proven hard.

As for the weight...

This is unchanged this week at 17 st 3 lbs so still a 5lb loss overall.

Brilliant effort everyone!
  • Options
    ommomm Member Posts: 444
    Let's do this guys, starting weight and actually quiet pleased as I've definitely already lost weight the last couple of weeks. It may mean that I don't get the initial load of weight falling off but will give it a go. Well done everyone.

• Options

Good luck Ommy, be interesting to see what next Friday brings.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Good luck Ommy, be interesting to see what next Friday brings.

Thanks Tikay, glad you gave me a nudge in the right direction.

Aren't kids great?

My three are Oliver (10), Madison(8) and Mitchell (6), (Hence Omm)

Me and Madison started Project O (Get OReilly's fit) two days ago by doing a 5 minute HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training, all the rage at the moment) work out at home - 1 min Star Jumps, 20 secs rest, 1 min Squats , 20 sr, 1 min running on spot and the repeat 1st two. Then went for a short power walk. The plan is as we get fit to start doing longer workouts and longer walks. The boys saw us having so much fun that today they decided too join us and brought with them two different exercises of their choice (much better commitment this way).

It's been an absolute delight doing this with them and as Madison is so strong willed I can't see us missing a session 🙂. (The kids are doing it for fun as they do not need to lose any weight, but just the fact that they want to do it to support me makes my heart melt)

Haven't been this out of breath in years. Food is a weakness for me, since I had a life changing illness a few years ago I have now become an insulin dependant so it's even more important for me to look after myself so that I can enjoy being with my children as Adults as much as I do now.

I'm not one for forcing my will onto people but I'm now hoping my wife will see how much fun we are having and join in, can see the summer being so much fun for us as a family if we are all much healthier.
  • Options
    ^^^^^

Wow, what a satisfying post that is to read, thanks Omm.

Who'd have thought so many benefits could accrue from a bunch of lads trying to lose a bit of weight?

Cracking post.

• Options
    Little bit of a fail today, wasn't feeling too well this morning before work so didn't eat breakfast (naughty as I should have something to take my insulin). Then only brought a pear to work and get extremely hungry and ended up having 5 chocolate digestives with a coffee.

Really need to plan better if I'm going to be successful. Added an extra minutes exercise with the kids and will be having Soup for tea.

One day at a time so will so will prepare better for tmrw.

Also i remembered that I'm at a work conference this week weds to Friday so will have to weigh in Saturday morning. Not too worried about the conference as I don't drink and I've tried to order the healthiest option on the menu.
  • Options
    Have loosely penciled myself in for a weekly 5km run at a local park each Saturday morning. Will go and give it a whirl from either this Saturday or the following Saturday.

Local park won't know what hit them...

• Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,265
    Managed to get to the gym today for 1st time in 3 months. Did a little stretching class and light weights for 30 mins then used the weight machines for an hour
    Legs feel like jelly now but well worth it.

Smoking was going ok ( 4 days on e-cig) but had a stumble yesterday when i smoked 4 off my girlfriends ciggies. I,m hoping it will giver her an extra incentive to quit by me keep helping myself. Its frustrating tho been around ppl smoking

GL with the 5k Marky - Have you done much running?. I,m hoping to do a 5k run but need to build up to it 1st

• Options
    Been a good week... Job done!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Oh wait... wrong image :(

Static at 17 stone 3 lbs and still puffing away.

5k run and a football match to come in the next 9 days though so there is some hope.

Hope it has been a good week for you all!

P.S. I was at 17 stone 2lbs this morning but have somehow gained 1lb since then.
  • Options
    MP33 said:

GL with the 5k Marky - Have you done much running?. I,m hoping to do a 5k run but need to build up to it 1st

Cheers MP33

No, not done any running. Unless we are counting a 2km drive to pick up my breakfast rolls.

I do play football with my dogs every day though and am constantly on the move. For a 17st+ smoker I am probably quite fit, very relatively speaking.
  • Options
    SnufferSnuffer Member Posts: 3,057
    markycash said:

MP33 said:

Cheers MP33

No, not done any running. Unless we are counting a 2km drive to pick up my breakfast rolls.

I do play football with my dogs every day though and am constantly on the move. For a 17st+ smoker I am probably quite fit, very relatively speaking.
    I would really advise against attempting the 5k without a proper build up to it giving your lack of training.

There is a free app called "couch to 5k" which is done by the NHS which will get you there steadily and more important safely in 10 weeks.

It took me a bit longer through injury (knees and ankles mainly) but got there after 13 weeks and have been running 6K three times a week ever since.

I gave up smoking (after 30 years) and changed my diet drastically to give myself the best chance of achieving the 5K. Best thing I have ever done as I haven't felt this fit since my teens (i'm 45 now).

GL.

• Options
    Snuffer said:

markycash said:

MP33 said:

Cheers MP33

I would really advise against attempting the 5k without a proper build up to it giving your lack of training.

There is a free app called "couch to 5k" which is done by the NHS which will get you there steadily and more important safely in 10 weeks.

It took me a bit longer through injury (knees and ankles mainly) but got there after 13 weeks and have been running 6K three times a week ever since.

I gave up smoking (after 30 years) and changed my diet drastically to give myself the best chance of achieving the 5K. Best thing I have ever done as I haven't felt this fit since my teens (i'm 45 now).

GL.

+1 to the advice by @Snuffer .

I completely get Marky's desire & determination, but attempting a 5k without prep, as a 30 a day smoker & carrying a bit of surplus timber is seriously dangerous.

As to Snuffer, wow, well done mate. Bet you are pretty pleased with yourself? Quite right too.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,368
    Start weight:-20-2
    Last week:-19-2
    This week:-19-2

Plateau? Trough? Not sure. what I DO know is that 2 weeks ago the scales were saying I'd lost weight, but i didn't feel I had. Now I do feel merely obese, as opposed to morbidly obese-thought I saw a toe the other day :)

Good luck all

PS-timbey de weekend for me is the Warm-Up at Aspers Stratford (start for me is Saturday)-if I am grinding on Sky over the weekend you know it didn't go well-probably saving my run-good for the SPT...
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,039
    Essexphil said:

Start weight:-20-2
    Last week:-19-2
    This week:-19-2

Plateau? Trough? Not sure. what I DO know is that 2 weeks ago the scales were saying I'd lost weight, but i didn't feel I had. Now I do feel merely obese, as opposed to morbidly obese-thought I saw a toe the other day :)

Good luck all

PS-timbey de weekend for me is the Warm-Up at Aspers Stratford (start for me is Saturday)-if I am grinding on Sky over the weekend you know it didn't go well-probably saving my run-good for the SPT...

Take the positives Phil. You have shifted a stone and you're not putting weight on.

Keep the faith. Good luck in Stratford.
  • Options

I agree with waller-bloke - EssexPhil has lost a stone & that's just fantastic.

Weight loss is never constant, but just keep doing the right things & slowly slowly the weight will fall off.

Good luck to @Essexplil at Aspers over the weekend - keep us informed please mate.