You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Help with new tables/Software please

JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
Hi all,

I am looking for someone who is a bit more tech savvy than myself to help me with upgrading my laptop/internet browser for the new tables. I'm afraid although I know my way around the poker software, I don't know my way around a computer or my google chrome very well.

I use a Windows 7 Acer Aspire V 17 Nitro (its a decent-ish large and powerful laptop) and I use chrome - not sure which version. I also use the download version of Skypoker (not the browser).

The problems with the new tables I have are numerous - firstly it takes more than one click to make an action on the function buttons, secondly though and perhaps more importantly - every 45 minutes the software cuts out.

This is ontop of the bright colours and general functionality which I don't think is very good - but first it would be nice to see if it will work better if I have the right upgrades?

I tried getting help from the live chat - but they were utterly useless (no clue, and said there was no technician who could help me - even suggested asking a friend or family member to help haha!).

I absolutely loved the old tables and could multi table 12 of them with ease - but I am struggling with even 6 of the new tables.

If anyone could help me with where to go, what to download, etc to avoid these cut outs and misclicks I would be very grateful.

Ps My apologies to VIallia who bubbled a DYM after I misclicked fold (due to problems above).

Comments

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,165
    edited April 2018
    Hi @Jacquelyn

I don't think you'll ever get a fix for that (other than hopefully the new software that's coming along). I've not tested it for a little while, but I assume there's still a memory leak problem with the DC.

If you do a search for 'memory leak' you'll see a few posts by me over the years.

Basically the more tables you run the quicker the available memory will get gobbled up by the leak until the program crashes as per your post. You can watch it happening using Task Manager.
  • JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    Hi Nosey,

Thank you for the reply... It is so so so frustrating having the software close down every 30 minutes.

When is the new software out, and how will that help? What is 'DC'?

Are you sure there is no fix for this? Anyone else got any advice? I'm about to take my bankroll elsewhere for the summer!

Thankyou x
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    DC means download client.

Is that memory leak ram specific, i.e single channel? Because my client almost never crashes. It has crashed a handful of times in a year or so.

Jacquelyn the only thing I can suggest is uninstalling the software with revo or something similar, and then reinstalling. It's so difficult to know why this happens without more info.

Does anyone know if the sky software produces error reports?
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    I got froze out 4 times during the Mini last night , the last time being when there was 7 players left and I was on a table of 3 , dont know how many thousands of chips I lost, but I was sitting 6th and needed every one of them , It says " Reload table, communication error. " I know my internet is fine, its happening on my PC and mobile app.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,813

Morning.

Firstly, apologies to those inconvenienced by this issue. I will pass the thread (together with the other, now closed thread) up to the Techies in the Office.

I'd like to say reassuring "it'll be sorted soon" words, but in truth, I'm not confident, as the problem seems to have affected a relatively small but significant % of users for some considerable time.

I am not an IT expert, nor any many who have reported the issue, but simple logic explains why it is such a difficult problem to fix - some players - most, I would say - are not affected by it at all.

As @kapowblamz notes above, it almost never affects him, just a handful of times in a year or so.

For a slightly better sample size, look at the DYM Challenge, where the leading players are playing monstrously huge volume. A quick look at Sharkscope tells us that, for example, Vlallia played 260 DYM's in 8 hours yesterday, whilst GSmith13 played 350 (approx.) in 12 hours. So those guys are playing 30 games per hour for sustained periods every day. It would be simply impossible to do that if they were experiencing these issues.

And, I suspect, THAT is why it is proving such a difficult problem to solve. If it affected everyone it would be easy, or easier, but it is not.

It's real hard, using logic, to explain why it affects some users & not others.

Anyway, let's hope the mystery can be solved soon & the problem sorted.

Again, apologies to those affected.
  • ITSQUADSYITSQUADSY Member Posts: 55
    How many people report issues though? It's been happening to me all week, 5/6 times a day but I didn't report it, I'm sure many are in the same boat.

To be fair it's a new problem on my end since I've been playing more tables than usual for the SPT micro madness challenge, it did happen before when I played only 6-8 tables but very rarely. I've been keeping all other applications and programs closed except Sky poker but it hasn't seemed to have made a difference.
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    edited April 2018
    Hopefully you’re correct that it doesn’t affect everyone Tikay but I’m not sure that you are.
    I know a fair few people who play on Sky. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t get kicked out on a nightly basis when multitabling.

People do workarounds to combat it as best they can such as logging out and back in again on Mtt breaks. Obviously as a dym player this isn’t an option for me. If I play 8+ tables and haven’t had the chance during a quiet period to shut down sky and reload, I will be kicked out at least once a night.

I take your point about some of the high volume players but disagree a little. Reflex put in extraordinary volume last week. There were s fair few occasions when he was ‘away’.

I would say that it has improved a bit. There was a period where even if we weren’t kicked out then there would be terrible lag. That seems to have been rectified and I rarely experience lag now

It’s not the end of the world though. I can normally get back in within a minute and so it’s only the odd occasion when I’ve made the bubble that it can be really problematic

Edit
    I think quads nails it
    If people don’t report then it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Unless I’ve been kicked out for a significant amount of time I don’t bother reporting it. It’s fairly tiresome to be told each time that it must be a problem with my end and to clear my cookies
    I’m confident it applies mainly when multi tabling
  • nickd49931nickd49931 Member Posts: 123
    Not sure if people already know this but I tend to find things run slightly better if I never press the tile tables button and always leave them in mini view
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    If we are using the DYM challenge as the example then I know someone who had to give up on the challenge after experiencing a couple of crashes in the first few hours of going for the promo.

Saying a small % are effected is a bit misleading as its effected by the number of tables so the issue isn't relevant for the majority of players who are playing the odd table. I would suggest of the mass tablers the % effected is extremely high.

It has been an issue for an extremely long period of time. Players just need to know what workarounds work for them and grin and bear it until the new software comes in.
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,165

Is that memory leak ram specific, i.e single channel? Because my client almost never crashes. It has crashed a handful of times in a year or so.

Hi @kapowblamz

I don't know how much you play but if you have some spare time then try launching say 8 active cash tables to view only, then just minimise them and keep an eye on the amount of memory skypoker.exe is using in Task Manager in the Processes tab. On every single PC I've ever tested it on it goes up and up and up until it eventually soils itself :smile:

The time required varies depending on how many concurrent tables you test with, and how much available memory you have. One table + considerable amounts of free memory and you may never see an issue.

• Nutter5932Nutter5932 Member Posts: 349
    I can actually confirm this problem happens to nearly everyone if they turnover or play enough tables to hit the memory threshold for it to crash relative to there computer setup. Timmy / reflex both crashed multiple times a day when they was doing the promo. I had to give up going for the promo this week because of it as I crashed out twice in the first hour, the first costing me over £100 because of the bubble crash timing on higher games, multiply that 5 times a day 7 days a week it’s unjustifiable to even carry on.

Gsmith has been crashing this week aswell and I’m sure johnmonty is, its very very difficult to do something like this weeks promo when this constantly happens. Next week after upgrading my desktop components this week I still fully expect to crash every 2 hours I’m playing but hopefully manage my way around it to limit the damage. I know it’s not intentional on skys front but I’m amazed it’s still happening after 5 years. It affects people that turn over a lot of games like dym players particularly worse than say a cash player playing the same 6-10 tables I think.
  • cpfc_2010cpfc_2010 Member Posts: 316
    Copied from another thread but equally at home here...

The software freezes/ crashes every 2 1/2 or 3 hours for me. 
    It's extremely frustrating and a bit ridiculous that it's ignored to a large extent. 
    I don't think it's a coincidence that every other site I play on has regular software updates that you have to download. 
    Sky software updates are about as common as a jac35 mtt win.
  • TsaaaarTsaaaar Member Posts: 366
    It's THE most annoying/frustrating thing about playing on Sky and I include playing against Matt in that :smiley:
  • loolololloloololollo Member Posts: 929
    Tikay10 said:

Morning.

Firstly, apologies to those inconvenienced by this issue. I will pass the thread (together with the other, now closed thread) up to the Techies in the Office.

I'd like to say reassuring "it'll be sorted soon" words, but in truth, I'm not confident, as the problem seems to have affected a relatively small but significant % of users for some considerable time.

I am not an IT expert, nor any many who have reported the issue, but simple logic explains why it is such a difficult problem to fix - some players - most, I would say - are not affected by it at all.

As @kapowblamz notes above, it almost never affects him, just a handful of times in a year or so.

For a slightly better sample size, look at the DYM Challenge, where the leading players are playing monstrously huge volume. A quick look at Sharkscope tells us that, for example, Vlallia played 260 DYM's in 8 hours yesterday, whilst GSmith13 played 350 (approx.) in 12 hours. So those guys are playing 30 games per hour for sustained periods every day. It would be simply impossible to do that if they were experiencing these issues.

And, I suspect, THAT is why it is proving such a difficult problem to solve. If it affected everyone it would be easy, or easier, but it is not.

It's real hard, using logic, to explain why it affects some users & not others.

Anyway, let's hope the mystery can be solved soon & the problem sorted.

Again, apologies to those affected.

It's probably the most serious and most common issue on this site. This has been ongoing ever since I've started playing on here and has been happening to most if not all people I speak to that use this site.

I'm not usually one to rant but saying this happens to only a small % of players is extremely ignorant (not a dig at you TK, it's not your job to know).

Hopefully this thread leads to something getting done :| .
  • heddoh18heddoh18 Member Posts: 43
    +1 to what loololollo said. It's frustrating to say the least when you have 100's of pounds worth of games on the go to have to restart the software. Another thing is sometimes you appear to be away when you have the table open, and you must close and reopen said table. Very annoying! Occasionally you will be moved table and cant see your holding cards.. Other things such as having a bet slider would improve the software so much, when multi tabling it can cause severe misclicks that could spoil your tournament.
  • PkDevilPkDevil Member Posts: 147
    I don't personally experience the issue of being thrown out of games very often. The only issue I get is sometimes I miss the first hand or it puts me in with half the clock. This is on the website rather than download client. I only multi-table 3x tables however so not very many really.

What is the benefit of the download client again?
  • SMARTGOATSMARTGOAT Member Posts: 477
    I've also experienced this issue frequently while multi-tabling 10+ tables, In recent weeks, since I returned to the skypoker grind I have noticed the frequency of the crashes have increased. I assumed it was an issue my end but clearly it is a site wide issue. Hopefully this thread will highlight the problem.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    From what I can gather from very limited googling Adobe Air still runs as 32 bit on a 64 bit system and any Air app will crash at 2gb RAM usage. That's the cap Air will allow at 32 bit.

Naturally, adding more tables will use more RAM and with probably slightly imperfect software code/design causing memory 'leaks'.

Devs can profile the Sky Poker app and potentially find out how to cut out the memory issues but as this is probably outsourced and with work on the whole new software underway I'm going to hazard a guess that this issue won't be fixed.

Was there a rumor that Sky were putting a table cap of 6 in? Might be a fantastic idea!
  • edrichedrich Member Posts: 1,899
    Just as a bit of balance, I can 6/8 table on the download for up to 10 hours without the site crashing. The last problem I had was when the Adobe update problem happened last year.

My son builds my computers, I just use them, but I would be willing to share any spec details that might help to point out why I don't get the same problem if this would help.
    Someone would have to tell me where to look though.
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118

From what I can gather from very limited googling Adobe Air still runs as 32 bit on a 64 bit system and any Air app will crash at 2gb RAM usage. That's the cap Air will allow at 32 bit.

Naturally, adding more tables will use more RAM and with probably slightly imperfect software code/design causing memory 'leaks'.

Devs can profile the Sky Poker app and potentially find out how to cut out the memory issues but as this is probably outsourced and with work on the whole new software underway I'm going to hazard a guess that this issue won't be fixed.

Was there a rumor that Sky were putting a table cap of 6 in? Might be a fantastic idea!

There was an announcement about this rumour on the first day of this month.