You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,906
    Type your comment

Not going to get embroiled in it ...but just to say , threads do go off piste sometimes.
    As an OP this might be frustrating , however you don't show yourself in the best light, if as a consequence , you throw your doll out of the pram and try and suggest that people have broken any rules . We all the name of a certain person who we cant talk about any more on here , and that is fair enough as it caused a lot of arguing , but no one has said RM or anyone can't mention the horrible abuse that has gone on and continues to go on , in fact you yourself created a thread about a paedophile .
    I would suggest that we act like adults if we wish the forum to continue in the relative peace that has ensued lately . My only word on the subject.

Generally agreed, but most especially the part I have bolded.

My very strong suggestion to @rainman215 is that if he really wishes to discuss the BBC & his justification for allegedly not paying his licence fee, he starts a new thread, it really has no relevance whatsoever to Brexit & he knows that.

I hope we can all move on sensibly now in line with your penultimate sentence.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,906

HAYSIE said:

I know, but as you mentioned the bbc, i thought i would enlighten of their lack of morals.

I mentioned the BBC with reference to their Brexit plans.
    Your post had nothing to do with Brexit.
    If you intend using me mentioning the BBC, as an excuse to post your pathetic vitriolic nonsense, then that's fine. You just carry on.
    I will have a break, and come back when you have finished amusing yourself.

I thought Tikay made it crystal clear, very recently that this wasn't acceptable.
    Haysie, what part of my post has broke the forum rules ?
    Please show where Tikay makes it crystal clear that my post on the bbc is unacceptable ?
    @rainman215

If you wish to discuss the BBC, I suggest you start a new thread please.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,825
    edited January 2019

Not going to get embroiled in it ...but just to say , threads do go off piste sometimes.
    As an OP this might be frustrating , however you don't show yourself in the best light, if as a consequence , you throw your doll out of the pram and try and suggest that people have broken any rules . We all the name of a certain person who we cant talk about any more on here , and that is fair enough as it caused a lot of arguing , but no one has said RM or anyone can't mention the horrible abuse that has gone on and continues to go on , in fact you yourself created a thread about a paedophile .
    I would suggest that we act like adults if we wish the forum to continue in the relative peace that has ensued lately . My only word on the subject.

Before continuing, I would just like to point out that the paedophile thread I created referred to one particular case.

Anyone reading the post will have realised that the article was more about the failure of The Great British Justice System to deal with him.

The Man was described as a high risk offender.

The judge was quoted as saying, if he was jailed he would be crushed.

Yet he was on his fourth breach of a Court Order since September 2017.

Onwards and upwards.

As a European Union member, the UK is part of about 40 trade agreements which the union has with more than 70 countries. If the UK leaves the EU in a no-deal Brexit on 29 March, it will immediately lose these deals.

Last year, the UK government said it wanted to replicate the EU's trade agreements "as far as possible" and have them ready to go immediately in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

So how much progress has the government made?

'No deals yet'
    Being a part of the EU means the UK (or any other EU member) cannot implement its own trade deals. Trade negotiations are instead handled by the EU on behalf of its members.

These existing arrangements are designed to make trade easier between the EU and the rest of the world. This could include: relaxing certain rules, reducing taxes (tariffs) on imports and exports, or granting easier market access.

The government estimates that about 11% of UK's trade relies on the EU's agreements with other countries.

But on Thursday, International Trade Minister George Hollingbery told the Commons: "There are no deals yet that have been actually signed."

However, the minister added that he was confident "the majority of those will be in place by 29 March"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46949431

The article I posted yesterday claimed that he now has one deal.
    The BBC article that I posted yesterday merely pointed out that they would have to open offices in an EU country to be allowed to continue to broadcast to EU countries.

Many people that support Brexit are reluctant to admit that we will lose benefits after we leave. When this is absolutely guaranteed.

It is not only the BBC involved in this,

As a result, to secure a pan-EU broadcast licence, the corporation will need to have the head office of the international operations in a member state, and locate a significant part of its workforce there.
    More than 500 pan-European channels currently use licences issued by the British regulator Ofcom. International media companies reportedly spend about £1bn a year in the UK, making it the most significant such hub.
    After Brexit the licences are likely to be invalid, however, as the UK will have left the EU’s single market.
    Last September, the British online sports channel DAZN said it was opening a development centre in Amsterdam as it sought to realise its ambition of becoming the “Netflix of sports”. The channel provides livestreams of Champions League football, Formula One and the ATP tennis tour in both English and German-speaking countries plus Japan.
    Turner Broadcasting System Deutschland and NBC Universal Global Networks Deutschland have also taken steps to secure EU licences.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/bbc-looks-at-setting-up-international-hq-in-belgium-after-brexit/ar-BBSG7Mt?ocid=spartandhp
    This is incredible.

The tape features Andrew Neil questioning a reporter about Brexit.
    Immediately prior to the questions, the reporter had done a presentation, stating that the only way to properly honour the referendum, would be to leave with no deal in March, and trade with the EU on WTO rules.

The questions showed his staggering lack of knowledge of how this would actually work.

Brexiteers spout out this nonsense every day and go unchallenged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgXCKqdtBXU
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,497
    HAYSIE said:

The BBC article that I posted yesterday merely pointed out that they would have to open offices in an EU country to be allowed to continue to broadcast to EU countries.

Many people that support Brexit are reluctant to admit that we will lose benefits after we leave. When this is absolutely guaranteed.

As a result, to secure a pan-EU broadcast licence, the corporation will need to have the head office of the international operations in a member state, and locate a significant part of its workforce there.
    More than 500 pan-European channels currently use licences issued by the British regulator Ofcom. International media companies reportedly spend about £1bn a year in the UK, making it the most significant such hub.
    After Brexit the licences are likely to be invalid, however, as the UK will have left the EU’s single market.
    Last September, the British online sports channel DAZN said it was opening a development centre in Amsterdam as it sought to realise its ambition of becoming the “Netflix of sports”. The channel provides livestreams of Champions League football, Formula One and the ATP tennis tour in both English and German-speaking countries plus Japan.
    Turner Broadcasting System Deutschland and NBC Universal Global Networks Deutschland have also taken steps to secure EU licences.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/bbc-looks-at-setting-up-international-hq-in-belgium-after-brexit/ar-BBSG7Mt?ocid=spartandhp

This is correct. Every UK business that wishes to trade in the EU will have to open an office in a Member state after we leave. Not only that, savvy businesses will choose the member state that can best meet its needs. And if that country offers cheaper labour, or cheaper skilled labour, or better qualified staff, it will be easier to transfer the business there.

Then there is the question of external multinationals setting up in Europe, particularly from the Far East. At present, Germany is far and away the most successful in persuading such companies to open up there. But the second most successful has been the UK.

Our refusal to join Schengen has always been a disadvantage in attracting Far Eastern business. Imagine having to choose between Germany, France, Italy and the UK, only to be told that a visa for any 1 of the first 3 will be valid for the other 2, but there are totally separate forms and fees for the UK. But now we won't even be in the mix for a first European base, as it would only facilitate trade in 1 country, rather than 27.
    edited January 2019
    A few MPs have said that they will struggle to get all the legislation through in time, and an extension to Article 50 may be needed for this.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

This is correct. Every UK business that wishes to trade in the EU will have to open an office in a Member state after we leave. Not only that, savvy businesses will choose the member state that can best meet its needs. And if that country offers cheaper labour, or cheaper skilled labour, or better qualified staff, it will be easier to transfer the business there.

Then there is the question of external multinationals setting up in Europe, particularly from the Far East. At present, Germany is far and away the most successful in persuading such companies to open up there. But the second most successful has been the UK.

Our refusal to join Schengen has always been a disadvantage in attracting Far Eastern business. Imagine having to choose between Germany, France, Italy and the UK, only to be told that a visa for any 1 of the first 3 will be valid for the other 2, but there are totally separate forms and fees for the UK. But now we won't even be in the mix for a first European base, as it would only facilitate trade in 1 country, rather than 27.
    Many of the multinationals that are already set up in The UK, may also decide they are better moving to one of the 27.
    This will obviously depend very much on how we exit.
    edited January 2019
    Brexit news latest: Emmanuel Macron says EU divorce has 'torn British society apart' and 'can't be delivered' in blistering attack

French president Emmanuel Macron has delivered a blistering attack on Brexit, claiming it has “torn British society apart” and that it “can’t be delivered”.
    Mr Macron blasted “false” figures given by the Leave campaign ahead of the 2016 referendum, saying the EU divorce that people voted for won’t happen.
    He was reported as saying: “People are starting to realise that all the figures they were given are entirely false, and what they were told could be done overnight in fact can't be delivered.

“No, because it didn't allow for an informed, transparent and calm debate. It's torn a society apart, and it's left it open to disinformation coming from abroad, or terrible manipulation.”
    Mr Macron’s attack came amid bitter divides on Brexit in the UK, which have included Leavers and Remainers screaming at each other in the streets outside Parliament.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexit-news-latest-emmanuel-macron-says-eu-divorce-has-torn-british-society-apart-and-cant-be-delivered-in-blistering-attack/ar-BBSIfyW?ocid=spartandhp
    edited January 2019
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Many of the multinationals that are already set up in The UK, may also decide they are better moving to one of the 27.
    The ones that are only in the UK will have to open a new business in the EU. So (for example) the Hong Kong based businesses will often lose ground to the wishes of Chinese-based economic interests.

It amazes me that Brexit is likely to cause greater losses to British workers than anything else in living memory, and the leader of the Labour party sits on his hands and does nothing.
    PM ‘fails’ to give guarantees on jobs and workers’ rights after Brexit

Prime Minister Theresa May was accused of failing to guarantee jobs and workers’ rights when the UK leaves the EU after she held a series of face-to-face meetings with union leaders in Downing Street.
    Theresa May was urged to delay Brexit until the summer, take a no-deal off the table and tackle the genuine concerns of workers over their jobs and rights.
    The rare meetings lasted over four hours, giving union leaders the chance to lay out their priorities on behalf of millions of workers.
    TUC general secretary Frances O’Grady said she did not receive the guarantees she was seeking.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/pm-fails-guarantees-jobs-workers-160627206.html
    Pound rises against dollar amid reports DUP will back Theresa May's Brexit deal

The pound rose against the dollar and the euro on Friday, putting it on track for its best week since 2017, as speculation grew that a no-deal Brexit is becoming less likely.
    Sterling was boosted by a report that the Democratic Unionist Party has agreed that it will back Theresa May’s Brexit deal if it includes a clear time limit to the Irish backstop.
    The DUP voted against Ms May’s deal when it was put to parliament earlier this month but will support her “Plan B” in next Tuesday’s Commons vote, The Sun reported.
    While the EU ruled out a time limit, the news helped to increase optimism that some form of compromise can be reached in order to get the deal through.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/pound-rises-against-dollar-amid-125100182.html
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    >Brexit news latest: Emmanuel Macron says EU divorce has 'torn British society apart' and 'can't be delivered' in blistering attack

French president Emmanuel Macron has delivered a blistering attack on Brexit, claiming it has “torn British society apart” and that it “can’t be delivered”.
    Mr Macron blasted “false” figures given by the Leave campaign ahead of the 2016 referendum, saying the EU divorce that people voted for won’t happen.
    He was reported as saying: “People are starting to realise that all the figures they were given are entirely false, and what they were told could be done overnight in fact can't be delivered.

“No, because it didn't allow for an informed, transparent and calm debate. It's torn a society apart, and it's left it open to disinformation coming from abroad, or terrible manipulation.”
    Mr Macron’s attack came amid bitter divides on Brexit in the UK, which have included Leavers and Remainers screaming at each other in the streets outside Parliament.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexit-news-latest-emmanuel-macron-says-eu-divorce-has-torn-british-society-apart-and-cant-be-delivered-in-blistering-attack/ar-BBSIfyW?ocid=spartandhp
    https://youtu.be/lz0ben8koGo
    And macron thinks we are a broken society, get ready for FREXIT. :)
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

The ones that are only in the UK will have to open a new business in the EU. So (for example) the Hong Kong based businesses will often lose ground to the wishes of Chinese-based economic interests.

It amazes me that Brexit is likely to cause greater losses to British workers than anything else in living memory, and the leader of the Labour party sits on his hands and does nothing.
    I was think about car manufacturers. Should there be any complications, surrounding supply chains, border delays etc.

>Brexit news latest: Emmanuel Macron says EU divorce has 'torn British society apart' and 'can't be delivered' in blistering attack

Wrong thread again.

You cant quite get the hang of this can you.
    This is The Brexit Thread.
    Not the Riots in France Thread.
    Nor the Jimmy Saville Thread.
    Or even the I am not paying my tv licence thread.
    It is The Brexit Thread.

Why don't you start your own French Riots Thread?
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I was think about car manufacturers. Should there be any complications, surrounding supply chains, border delays etc.
    Yes, agreed. A lot has been written about that.

What people are not talking about is the longer-term damage. A "Nissan" would not now be considering setting up a similar plant in the UK, while various major UK and external businesses have been given a perfect excuse to look to outsource jobs somewhere cheaper.

You can hear it now "Oh, I didn't want to transfer my workforce to a country with minimal pay/protection for workers, but once I was forced to open the 2nd plant in X, it was the only way to remain competitive/maintain my lavish lifestyle* (delete as applicable).

If we leave with no deal, things will happen that much quicker, but they are going to happen anyway. The best hope (from a UK perspective) is that the EU implodes, but I don't think that is likely.
    Goldman Sachs warns UK investment could take a Brexit hit

The new chief executive of Goldman Sachs says that a "difficult" Brexit will negatively affect its investment plans in the UK.
    David Solomon told the BBC that while there has been a frozen headcount in the UK, the bank has been adding staff in the EU over the last two years.
    The outcome of Brexit would affect decisions about Goldman's people and resources, he said.
    The Wall Street giant employs 6,000 people in the UK.
    Speaking at the World Economic Forum, in Davos, Mr Solomon said: "If this [Brexit] is resolved in a difficult way, or in a hard way, I do think it'll have an impact on where we invest in where we put people.
    "All these things ultimately have an impact on the investment decisions and the business decisions that all of us as business leaders make."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46996122
    On a related issue, interested to see what Ireland will do.

If there is a hard border, it is likely to make a lot of sense for Ireland to leave the EU.