You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,829

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Since when did democracy equal prosperity?
    Have a listen to this nonsense.

This was one year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Kxt8E8kGs

Get stuck into this >>>>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265578249_WHY_DEMOCRACY_IS_CENTRAL_TO_PROSPERITY_AND_PEACE_1
    He is not exactly famous for overpaying his employees.
    Hardly alone in that .
    So maybe he should have said, democracy equals prosperity, unless you have a mean boss.
    Prosperity is relative , If as a democratic country we compared our general standard of living to that of living in an autocratic society we might view ourselves as being more prosperous.

"Democratic countries are richer – the exception are fossil-fuel exporters
    The scatter plot below shows the latest observations for GDP per capita and the Polity IV score. No country that is an autocracy (score between -10 and -6) has an income of more than 15,000 international-$ if it is not heavily dependent on fossil-fuel exports. Countries that are autocratically ruled and do not have the option to export fossil fuels are poor."

"Democratic countries are healthier
    As a measure for the health situation in a country I am looking at child mortality.

What we can see from the scatter plot below is that autocratic countries rarely have a healthy population. Few autocratic countries achieved a child mortality below 10 per 1,000. Democratic countries – Polity score of 7 or higher – on the other hand often have child mortality rates below 10 or even 5 per 1,000.

This cross section at one point in time does not tell us anything about the length of time that a country was ruled by a democratic government – for this we have to study the link between democratisation and health in more detail and more carefully."

Just a couple of excerpts above from this article >>>>https://ourworldindata.org/democracy

So in essence , you can't just dismiss the notion that democracy aids prosperity ...and back to Brexit :)
    I think that this is a ridiculous argument.
    The man is an idiot.
    He was purely referring to this country.
    He was debating Brexit.
    The argument above cant be applied to this country, as we are already a democracy.

He is clearly making out that we are not a democracy, as we are ruled by The EU. He is inferring that we will become a democracy on leaving. This is absolute nonsense as only 7% of our Primary Legislation has come from The EU.

A much more serious argument would be that the gap between the haves and the have nots is wider than ever before.

You have to go back 50 years to find a period where we paid more tax than we are currently paying.

Many people would see the fact that the 26 richest people in the world have more money than the poorest 50%, as obscene.

We are in the 11th year of austerity measures imposed by successive Tory Governments, under which many people are still suffering, and feel forgotten about.

None of this has anything to do with the fact that we are a democracy, The EU, or the current Brexit mess.

Only that Brexit may well have happened because of these circumstances.

I cant see how you could possibly think that the above article was at all relevant.

Have you even looked at the tape and seen how stupid he was made to look.

This should happen more often.

These silly Brexiteers appear on the media every day, spouting off about a no deal Brexit, and their plan that clearly doesn't work.

I also find it incredible that this red herring is the point that you would wish to debate out of all the nonsense that he spouted.

How could leaving The EU with no deal, create prosperity. Being a democracy will not have a bearing. Our economy would suffer badly.

This will leave us with less prosperity, whilst still being a democracy.

He was saying we should have walked out of the negotiations, forgotten about The Brits leaving in The EU, The EU citizens living here, and the Irish Border. That would have been a very cunning plan.

I was actually addressing your uneducated open ended question " since when did democracy equal prosperity? " ....not his . Please do your best to keep up .
    As far as the bolded bit is concerned , calling a successfull business man an idiot because his views differ from yours is just plain ignorant !
    I was quoting him.
    You cant have watched the interview.
    Being a successful business man doesn't mean he is right about everything.
    I was calling him an idiot because his views on Brexit are idiotic.
    This has nothing to do with the success of his business.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

This was one year ago.

Get stuck into this >>>>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265578249_WHY_DEMOCRACY_IS_CENTRAL_TO_PROSPERITY_AND_PEACE_1
    Hardly alone in that .
    So maybe he should have said, democracy equals prosperity, unless you have a mean boss.
    Prosperity is relative , If as a democratic country we compared our general standard of living to that of living in an autocratic society we might view ourselves as being more prosperous.

The scatter plot below shows the latest observations for GDP per capita and the Polity IV score. No country that is an autocracy (score between -10 and -6) has an income of more than 15,000 international-$ if it is not heavily dependent on fossil-fuel exports. Countries that are autocratically ruled and do not have the option to export fossil fuels are poor."

As a measure for the health situation in a country I am looking at child mortality.

What we can see from the scatter plot below is that autocratic countries rarely have a healthy population. Few autocratic countries achieved a child mortality below 10 per 1,000. Democratic countries – Polity score of 7 or higher – on the other hand often have child mortality rates below 10 or even 5 per 1,000.

This cross section at one point in time does not tell us anything about the length of time that a country was ruled by a democratic government – for this we have to study the link between democratisation and health in more detail and more carefully."

Just a couple of excerpts above from this article >>>>https://ourworldindata.org/democracy

So in essence , you can't just dismiss the notion that democracy aids prosperity ...and back to Brexit :)
    The man is an idiot.
    He was debating Brexit.
    The argument above cant be applied to this country, as we are already a democracy.

He is clearly making out that we are not a democracy, as we are ruled by The EU. He is inferring that we will become a democracy on leaving. This is absolute nonsense as only 7% of our Primary Legislation has come from The EU.

A much more serious argument would be that the gap between the haves and the have nots is wider than ever before.

You have to go back 50 years to find a period where we paid more tax than we are currently paying.

Many people would see the fact that the 26 richest people in the world have more money than the poorest 50%, as obscene.

We are in the 11th year of austerity measures imposed by successive Tory Governments, under which many people are still suffering, and feel forgotten about.

None of this has anything to do with the fact that we are a democracy, The EU, or the current Brexit mess.

I cant see how you could possibly think that the above article was at all relevant.

These silly Brexiteers appear on the media every day, spouting off about a no deal Brexit, and their plan that clearly doesn't work.

I also find it incredible that this red herring is the point that you would wish to debate out of all the nonsense that he spouted.

How could leaving The EU with no deal, create prosperity. Being a democracy will not have a bearing. Our economy would suffer badly.

He was saying we should have walked out of the negotiations, forgotten about The Brits leaving in The EU, The EU citizens living here, and the Irish Border. That would have been a very cunning plan.

I was actually addressing your uneducated open ended question " since when did democracy equal prosperity? " ....not his . Please do your best to keep up .
    As far as the bolded bit is concerned , calling a successfull business man an idiot because his views differ from yours is just plain ignorant !
    I was quoting him.
    Calling individuals/groups stupid or idiotic because their views differ from yours shows a lack of being able to reason and explain yourself in a socially acceptable manner and ultimately makes people view you as being self righteous and condescending . Have a good evening arguing .

HAYSIE said:

you are obviously not a business minded person, if you think he should overpay his employees.
    You don't know anything about me.
    I know you want to stay in Europe, and dont believe in the Peoples vote.
    I know you have an unhealthy obsession with Mr Martin.
    I have more if you would like to hear?

go on then

You also like to insult People who have opposing views.

like who?

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

This was one year ago.

Hardly alone in that .

The man is an idiot.
    He was debating Brexit.

I was quoting him.
    Calling individuals/groups stupid or idiotic because their views differ from yours shows a lack of being able to reason properly and ultimately makes people view you as being self righteous and condescending .
    I have called one person idiotic.
    Only because the "facts" that he persists in quoting are patently incorrect.
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

you are obviously not a business minded person, if you think he should overpay his employees.
    go on then

like who?

The Right Honourable Jacob Rees Mogg for one, and not forgetting Mr Martin.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

go on then

like who?

I have only called one of them an idiot.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

go on then
    like who?

Calling someone Lord Snooty is insulting.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

go on then
    like who?

Someone else did that. I just thought it was appropriate, and continued.
    Many people would think that politicians and public figures are fair game.
    Lord Snooty continuing to advocate a no deal Brexit, when it wont affect him as he is very rich, after opening an office in Ireland, is in my view irresponsible, and hypocritical.

Mr Martin dispensing advice on Brexit, when he hasn't a clue what he is talking about, is irresponsible and dangerous.

Lord Snooty continuing to advocate a no deal Brexit, when it wont affect him as he is very rich, after opening an office in Ireland, is in my view irresponsible, and hypocritical.

Mr Martin dispensing advice on Brexit, when he hasn't a clue what he is talking about, is irresponsible and dangerous.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

go on then
    like who?

So someone else uses an insult and you follow like a sheep.
    JRM has opened a satellite office in Ireland, why is that wrong ?

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

go on then
    like who?

So someone else uses an insult and you follow like a sheep.
    JRM has opened a satellite office in Ireland, why is that wrong ?

What I said was that I thought Lord Snooty was appropriate, nothing to do with sheep.
    Lord Snooty has been offering advice on Brexit, which is meant to benefit the country, because that's his job.
    However he has opened an office in an EU country to protect him own business.

Some people may question the fact that if a no deal Brexit was good for the country, why would there suddenly be a need to open in Ireland.

More suspicious people may see it as hypocritical.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750
    As James Dysons name has been mentioned in relation to Brexit, the following was posted in 2016, if true it would seem to be rather a kick in the teeth to our government, and those people that complain that eu funding goes abroad putting “ our firms” out of business..

"The government is funding Dyson to develop a new battery electric vehicle at their headquarters in Malmesbury, Wiltshire. This will secure £174m of investment in the area, creating over 500 jobs, mostly in engineering."

My lack of skill on posting links to the article in question means ...well.. I can’t , but google is available., I would welcome any opposing views on this.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2019
    tomgoodun said:

As James Dysons name has been mentioned in relation to Brexit, the following was posted in 2016, if true it would seem to be rather a kick in the teeth to our government, and those people that complain that eu funding goes abroad putting “ our firms” out of business..

"The government is funding Dyson to develop a new battery electric vehicle at their headquarters in Malmesbury, Wiltshire. This will secure £174m of investment in the area, creating over 500 jobs, mostly in engineering."

My lack of skill on posting links to the article in question means ...well.. I can’t , but google is available., I would welcome any opposing views on this.

Dyson refused to comment on the document and said it never commented on products under development. The government document was later updated to remove references to the Dyson car.
    https://www.ft.com/content/ad078d22-f127-11e5-9f20-c3a047354386

He does , as already been documented , continue to invest strongly in this country though.

As haysie likes to bring up certain peoples business ethics, how about dominic grieve and his connection to Zimbabwe ?
    Brexit: Irresponsible not to plan border vote, says Sinn Féin leader

It is "irresponsible" for the Irish government to say a border poll should not be held at the moment due to uncertainty about Brexit, Sinn Féin president Mary Lou McDonald has said.
    She said the Irish government should urgently convene a forum to plan for Irish reunification.
    She was speaking at a Beyond Brexit event in Belfast, looking at Ireland's future after the UK leaves the EU.
    About 1,600 people attended, including Irish politicians and academics.
    Brexit 'could create majority for united Ireland'
    Sinn Féin has previously said that if there is a no-deal Brexit, then the Northern Ireland secretary should immediately call a border poll.
    Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) Leo Varadkar has said a number of times that a border poll right now would be "disruptive".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47014835
    The Tories' new shadow home secretary is among seven MPs facing questions over financial links to dictator Robert Mugabe.

David Cameron said last week that individuals with dealings in Zimbabwe must 'examine their own responsibilities' and not make investments which could prop up the regime.

But yesterday it emerged that six Tories and one LibDem MP have investments in the country worth at least 1million.

On the spot: Six MPs in David Cameron's party have dealings worth £1m or more with companies in Zimbabwe
    On the spot: Six MPs in David Cameron's party have dealings worth £1m or more with companies in Zimbabwe

Among them is shadow home secretary Dominic Grieve, who holds at least 240,000 of shares in mining firms Anglo American and Rio Tinto, bank Standard Chartered and oil giant Shell - all of which work in Zimbabwe.

Yesterday he defended his position, saying all the shares had been properly declared.

'The Conservative Party has made it clear that companies operating in Zimbabwe must adhere to the highest ethical standards and I fully endorse that view,' said Mr Grieve who was promoted by David Cameron when David Davis resigned to fight a by-election over the 42-day limit on detaining suspects.

Mr Mugabe was sworn in as president yesterday after a meaningless election 'run-off' in which his only opponent had pulled out after weeks of violence and intimidation.

It was the sham poll which prompted Mr Cameron to appeal to businesses and investors.

The revelation that members of his party are such investors will be an embarrassment.

Last night shadow roads minister Robert Goodwill admitted he 'did not feel particularly proud to be a Barclays shareholder' at the present time. He added: 'Anything we can do to bring pressure to bear on this dreadful regime and evil man needs to be done - but I think it is betterto bring pressure to bear as a shareholder. And probably because it is not a very good time to sell the shares.'

Shadow business minister Jonathan Djanogly, who owns shares in Barclays, BP, Shell and Tesco, said shareholders 'should be encouraged to make representations' but made no comment on his own holdings.

Totnes MP Anthony Steen said he was unaware of the Zimbabwe links to his investments in Unilever and Shell and would talk to Mr Cameron about getting rid of the 'evil regime'.

The other MPs involved are Tories Tim Boswell (Barclays and Tesco) and Sir John Stanley (Shell) and Lib Dem Sir Robert Smith (Rio Tinto and Shell). Foreign Office minister Lord Malloch Brown said they had done nothing technically wrong but should 'look carefully' at their investments 'as a matter of conscience and political judgment'.

The Tories' new shadow home secretary is among seven MPs facing questions over financial links to dictator Robert Mugabe.

David Cameron said last week that individuals with dealings in Zimbabwe must 'examine their own responsibilities' and not make investments which could prop up the regime.

But yesterday it emerged that six Tories and one LibDem MP have investments in the country worth at least 1million.

Among them is shadow home secretary Dominic Grieve, who holds at least 240,000 of shares in mining firms Anglo American and Rio Tinto, bank Standard Chartered and oil giant Shell - all of which work in Zimbabwe.

Yesterday he defended his position, saying all the shares had been properly declared.

'The Conservative Party has made it clear that companies operating in Zimbabwe must adhere to the highest ethical standards and I fully endorse that view,' said Mr Grieve who was promoted by David Cameron when David Davis resigned to fight a by-election over the 42-day limit on detaining suspects.

Mr Mugabe was sworn in as president yesterday after a meaningless election 'run-off' in which his only opponent had pulled out after weeks of violence and intimidation.

It was the sham poll which prompted Mr Cameron to appeal to businesses and investors.

The revelation that members of his party are such investors will be an embarrassment.

Last night shadow roads minister Robert Goodwill admitted he 'did not feel particularly proud to be a Barclays shareholder' at the present time. He added: 'Anything we can do to bring pressure to bear on this dreadful regime and evil man needs to be done - but I think it is betterto bring pressure to bear as a shareholder. And probably because it is not a very good time to sell the shares.'

Shadow business minister Jonathan Djanogly, who owns shares in Barclays, BP, Shell and Tesco, said shareholders 'should be encouraged to make representations' but made no comment on his own holdings.

Totnes MP Anthony Steen said he was unaware of the Zimbabwe links to his investments in Unilever and Shell and would talk to Mr Cameron about getting rid of the 'evil regime'.

The other MPs involved are Tories Tim Boswell (Barclays and Tesco) and Sir John Stanley (Shell) and Lib Dem Sir Robert Smith (Rio Tinto and Shell). Foreign Office minister Lord Malloch Brown said they had done nothing technically wrong but should 'look carefully' at their investments 'as a matter of conscience and political judgment'.

This must pre 2010.

I am not sure about the point of this,

These are multi national companies that operate all over the world, and the article is almost 11 years old.

Mr Grieve owns at least £240,000 worth of shares in companies operating in the southern African country such as Shell, mining firms Rio Tinto and Anglo American and the Standard Chartered bank.
    Defending his position, Mr Grieve said: "The Conservative Party has made it clear that companies operating in Zimbabwe must adhere to the highest ethical standards and I fully endorse that view."

Sunday, 29 June 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7479634.stm
    Forget politicians - here's the experts' view of a No-Deal Brexit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLj6GHb1tt0

I am not sure about the point of this,

These are multi national companies that operate all over the world, and the article is almost 11 years old.

Mr Grieve owns at least £240,000 worth of shares in companies operating in the southern African country such as Shell, mining firms Rio Tinto and Anglo American and the Standard Chartered bank.
    Defending his position, Mr Grieve said: "The Conservative Party has made it clear that companies operating in Zimbabwe must adhere to the highest ethical standards and I fully endorse that view."

Sunday, 29 June 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7479634.stm

Its called Morals.