You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2019
    Rainman said :
    "What percentage of tax did Sir Dyson pay ? (i am assuming you know).
    Blatant lie Sir Dyson has packed up his business and moved abroad".

Bandwagon jumpers as usual ! ...the fact is Dyson still continues to invest strongly in our economy and has pledged to continue doing that . If the best the remain camp can come up with is to knock bastions of our industry , then there can't be any complaints when they decide to move on .
    edited January 2019
    James dyson paid £128.7 million last year in taxes ...tomgoodun and the rest of the knockers individually paid ??
    https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-27/beckhams-dyson-boss-and-easyjet-founder-among-britons-paying-the-most-tax/

And now to Brexit !
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750

tomgoodun said:

The business continues to invest millions in this country when others have jumped ship big style . People want to keep knocking that , don't whinge when they decide , enoughs , enough . Incidentally , how much tax have you paid this year ? :D While we are at it as you seem keen to point out the relevance to Brexit ...dysons tax liabilities or company policies don't really have anything to do with it either .
    You agree that Rainmans post had nothing to do with Brexit then., he has form for that.

In answer to how much tax I paid- the full amount as decided by the tax man,I don’t employ anyone to find loopholes, or have off shore funds.

Back to Brexit now ey.
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186

You agree that Rainmans post had nothing to do with Brexit then., he has form for that.

In answer to how much tax I paid- the full amount as decided by the tax man,I don’t employ anyone to find loopholes, or have off shore funds.

Back to Brexit now ey.

And you have form for telling blatant lies. :):)
    edited January 2019

Back to Brexit now ey.

You also obv don't pay enough tax ( like most of us) to knock people who do and contribute heavily to this economy . I don't think anything to do with Dysons hq move has anything to do with Brexit ..but you wanted to make it an issue of it ....I've already made my points regarding this , but i fully expect remainers to make a meal out of it !
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750

Back to Brexit now ey.

You also obv don't pay enough tax ( like most of us) to knock people who do and contribute heavily to this economy . I don't think anything to do with Dysons hq move has anything to do with Brexit ..but you wanted to make it an issue of it ....I've already made my points regarding this , but i fully expect remainers to make a meal out of it !

Sorry for being a bit slow- are you saying Rainmans post was definitely not about Brexit, are was about Brexit?
    You tend to point the finger in a different direction when his name is mentioned...,
    tomgoodun said:

As James Dysons name has been mentioned in relation to Brexit, the following was posted in 2016, if true it would seem to be rather a kick in the teeth to our government, and those people that complain that eu funding goes abroad putting “ our firms” out of business..

"The government is funding Dyson to develop a new battery electric vehicle at their headquarters in Malmesbury, Wiltshire. This will secure £174m of investment in the area, creating over 500 jobs, mostly in engineering."

My lack of skill on posting links to the article in question means ...well.. I can’t , but google is available., I would welcome any opposing views on this.

For reference ..this is you trying to get the subject away from Brexit
    edited January 2019
    tomgoodun said:

Back to Brexit now ey.

Sorry for being a bit slow- are you saying Rainmans post was definitely not about Brexit, are was about Brexit?
    You tend to point the finger in a different direction when his name is mentioned...,

Sorry I only speak English
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186

tomgoodun said:

Back to Brexit now ey.

Sorry I only speak English

tom why ask someone else if my post was about BREXIT, why not ask me instead.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,906

Stop right now.

There was clear evidence of trolling on this thread by one individual yesterday, & the result is what we are seeing today.

This is a good definition of trolling;

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

If there are any further examples of trolling, it's going to end badly for the troll.

There will be no further warnings.

Now let's step back for an hour or two, then get the thread back on topic.

TIA.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,834
    As stated a number of times previously This is a Brexit thread.

I have recently criticised 3 people, in regard to Brexit.

I will cover James Dyson first.

He was accused in much of the press of staggering hypocrisy, after announcing the transfer of his HQ to Singapore. This was meant to be offset by the fact that only two employees would be transferred. Less prominent was that the company registration would also be transferred to Singapore.

The hypocrisy referred to was that he was one of the few business people that actively, and publicly supported Brexit “We will create more wealth and more jobs by being outside the EU,”
    I think there is no doubt that he is influential, and respected, and that the leave campaign must have been boosted by his support.

When he subsequently decided to build his car factory, and set up his HQ in Singapore, it is easy to see why many people saw this as hypocrisy.

When the building of a new car factory, and maintaining his HQ in the UK, would have helped create the Post Brexit jobs, and prosperity, that he talked about.

I suppose you could see the fact that Singapore have just done a deal with The EU as coincidental, although many wouldn't.

What you cant then do in my view is defend him by saying, but he is a nice bloke, he has been knighted, he put money into the UK economy,he pays tax, and employs people in this country, these and all the other irrelevant arguments have nothing to do with what he was accused of. Some of which have just been used on this thread to create an argument.

If staggering hypocrisy over Brexit was a criminal offence, I think he would have been found guilty. These other arguments could not have been used as a defence, but rather in mitigation for a lighter sentence.

I am certain that many Brits would prefer it if he did all his manufacturing in the UK, rather than doing it all abroad. Thus providing more jobs and prosperity in this country.
    I am sure The Treasury is glad of the tax he pays, although some have suggested that the movement of the companys registration to Singapore is the first step towards changing the companys tax affairs. All of which is irrelevant to Brexit.

James Dyson’s decision to relocate reveals the hot air blown during Brexit debate

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/james-dyson-s-decision-to-relocate-reveals-the-hot-air-blown-during-brexit-debate-1.3770616
    edited January 2019
    To counter the above which accuses Dyson of hypocrisy , seen as he seems to have been brought into the debate ..this is a surprisingly really good level headed article from the sun and a journalist for the spectator https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8265999/james-dyson-brexit-trade-ross-clark-opinion/

To counter the above which accuses Dyson of hypocrisy , seen as he seems to have been brought into the debate ..this is a surprisingly really good level headed article from the sun and a journalist for the spectator https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8265999/james-dyson-brexit-trade-ross-clark-opinion/

A quick search would seem to show that the majority don't share this view.

Brexiteer James Dyson 'moved to Singapore over fears of a Corbyn government'
    The Sun· 15 hours ago
    BREXITEER James Dyson moved his multi-billion pound empire out of Britain because of his fears about...

Sir James Dyson's Post-Brexit Vision Is Under Fire (Again) As Entrepreneur Quits UK
    The Huffington Post UK· 6 days ago
    Sir James Dyson presents the Special Recognition award for Innovation on stage during The Fashion...

James Dyson’s decision to relocate reveals the hot air blown during Brexit debate
    The Irish Times· 3 days ago
    If James Dyson is as enthusiastic about the UK’s prospects when it leaves the European Union as he...

Brexit-backing James Dyson accused of ... - mirror.co.uk
    www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-backing...

Brexiteer James Dyson accused of 'staggering hypocrisy' after moving HQ to Singapore. It is the second blow Dyson has dealt to Brexit Britain after last year's announcement that it will ...
    Brexit cheerleader Sir James Dyson relocates firm’s ...

www.independent.co.uk › … › Business › Business News
    Brexit supporter Sir James Dyson has been accused of hypocrisy after announcing his firm would move its headquarters to Singapore ahead of the UK’s exit from the EU. The billionaire inventor ...

James Dyson is no Brexit hypocrite for moving HQ to Singapore ...
    www.thesun.co.uk/news/8265999/james-dyson-brexit...
    THE hysterical Remainers who took a smug pride in Dyson’s decision to move his company's HQ to Singapore have fundamentally misread the opportunities that Brexit presents to us and the reason so ...

James Dyson relocates to SINGAPORE despite voting for Brexit ...
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6619953/James...
    Brexit-backing businessman Sir James Dyson is to relocate the Dyson head office from the UK to Singapore. The bombshell announcement will mean Dyson is no longer a British registered company and ...

James Dyson Brexit: Why Brexiteer chose Singapore for EV ...
    www.verdict.co.uk/james-dyson-brexit-2

In recent years Dyson has been an outspoken Brexiteer, believing that the UK would benefit from setting its own trade policies and regulations independent of the EU.
    James Dyson declares Brexit will be a ... - Express.co.uk
    www.express.co.uk/news/politics/881043/brexit...

SIR JAMES Dyson believes Britain will leave the European Union without a deal in what will be a “disaster for Europe”.
    James Dyson moves company out of UK despite backing Brexit
    www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/james...

Vacuum maker Dyson has announced it will no longer be a British registered company and instead make Singapore its main tax base. The headquarter switch from ...
    James Dyson: If Brexit talks fail with the EU it’s ‘no big ...
    www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/james-dyson-on...

Sir James Dyson would make a good therapist for anxious Brexiteers. Everything about him is comfortingly precise — his manner and way of speaking, his owlish round glasses and blow-dried white hair.
    Wealthy Brexiteers like James Dyson are jumping ship. Why ...
    www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/23/...

Dyson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nigel Lawson – the leave elite appears to want Brexit for everyone else but themselves, says Guardian columnist Jonathan Freedland
    Dyson Singapore move explained: Why is Sir James Dyson ...
    www.standard.co.uk › News › UK

Billionaire businessman Sir James Dyson is relocating his company's head office from the UK to Singapore in a blow to Brexit Britain. The move, announced on Tuesday, means Dyson is no longer a ...

YahooHelpSuggestionsPrivacy(Updated)Terms(Updated)AdvertiseAbout adsPowered by Bing™
    "Sir James Dyson has defended himself against accusations of hypocrisy following the decision to move his tech company’s HQ from Wiltshire to Singapore.

The billionaire inventor, who has been a vocal support of Brexit, came under fire earlier this week as critics said the relocation contradicted Mr Dyson’s claim that he was “enormously optimistic” about the UK’s trading future post-Brexit.

The company had previously revealed that its new electric car would be built in Singapore.

Mr Dyson wrote in the Telegraph that Brexit played no part in his firm’s plan to move out of the UK. Instead, the decision was made because Dyson has “amassed great manufacturing and operations knowledge over time in Singapore”.

“Though Singapore has a comparatively high cost base, it also has great technology expertise meaning it is the right place to make a high quality, technology loaded, electric vehicle.

“It would be downright stupid to think we could build our own automotive manufacturing plant from scratch, procure billions of pounds worth of components, and establish new production methods for automotive and battery technology, while our management team sat 7,000 miles away with an eight hour time difference. That would be reckless,” he said.
    Mr Dyson said most of the criticism of his decision was “missing the point entirely”.

“Success abroad means we can invest more here, as we’re doing, with new money going into research and development, building new campuses, educating a future generation, and creating new jobs.

“Every pound of investment and employment we spend in Britain is a vote of confidence in Britain,” he said.

“The future is incredibly exciting, I accept that I may be ambitious to get there faster than some, but please don’t take it the wrong way: these are not the actions of a hypocrite but someone wanting to invest more in the UK post-Brexit, not less.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-supporter-james-dyson-denies-moving-hq-from-britain-to-singapore-is-hypocritical/ar-BBSFeDa
    The second person I criticised was Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Phil christened him Lord Snooty.

I thought this fitted him perfectly and continued to use it.

He has faced similar criticism to other Brexit supporters that have set up businesses outside the UK, subsequent to the referendum.

To set up a couple of hedge funds in Ireland would seem less important than a car factory.

Although if he is doing this to get access to The EU, while advocating that the UK should leave, will leave him open to accusations of hypocrisy.

How many similar companies will feel it is in their interests to follow suit.

However my main areas of disagreement with are,

The fact that he has continued to advocate that we are better off with no deal.

His WTO pitch is not true.

The fact that he said that the benefits of leaving the EU may not be felt for 50 years. I don't remember that being pointed out in the referendum campaign.

He sees leaving The EU as an opportunity to reduce workers rights, as well as slashing environmental, and safety laws.

In addition to this and nothing to do with Brexit, I think it peculiar that we would elect as an MP, someone who sees nothing wrong in running his company from the tax havens of The Cayman Islands, and Singapore.
    Singapore seems to be cropping up a lot.

This is an interesting profile.
    https://badboysofbrexit.com/2018/01/13/jacob-rees-mogg/

This picks apart his Brexit pitch
    https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/debunking-the-paper-championed-by-jacob-rees-mogg-claiming-a-no-deal-brexit-would-boost-the-economy/

Two, 50 or 100 years: when do leavers think Brexit will pay off?
    Jacob Rees-Mogg says the benefits of leaving the EU may not be felt for 50 years – and he’s not the only Eurosceptic asking the people of Britain to wait patiently
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2018/jul/24/two-50-or-100-years-when-do-leavers-think-brexit-will-pay-off
    The Irish, and The EU don't seem keen.
    Haven't got any real enthusiasm to counter the accusations against JRM , as I'm not a big fan of his . However one thing I would quote in his defence :

Mr Rees-Mogg was asked about the claim by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)_ that leaving on WTO terms would damage the economy.

In response he went on the attack saying: “The CBI’s record is even worse than the Treasury’s.

“The CBI thought we should join the ERM, it thought we should join the Euro.”

He also noted that the CBI had predicted the UK economy would shrink by 3.6 percent to 6 percent if there was a Brexit vote, and that unemployment would increase by between 500,000 and 800,000.

Neither of these have taken place.

He does as already been documented continue to invest in this country though.

HAYSIE said:

The man is dangerous.

He is going around the country telling lies, and clearly hasn't a clue.

The fact that much of what he was saying wasn't true was pointed out to him in the first pub.

He ends up discouraging questions, because he has been found out.

Despite this, some members of the public, haven't seen through him and are still regarding him as credible.

This is what is dangerous. some of the public are believing his lies.

These are not opinions, these are lies that are being presented as the truth.

In the second pub his opening statement is all lies.

The ports wont block up. A lie. The Governments own report says that freight trade could drop by between 75% and 87% for up 6 months. So the ports will block up. We have to find, and train 8,000 customs officials to cope with the extra checks. We cant do this before March, so there will be delays.

Planes will fly. It would be true to say that some planes will fly. However in his no deal scenario, some of them wont. There will not be a problem for planes flying into Europe, provided an agreement is reached. However there will be a problem for our planes flying within Europe ie between two European airports. Five million flights may have to be cancelled.

Food in the shops will not be cheaper, as tariffs will have been imposed on imported food. So food in the shops will be more expensive.

We will not save the money, as we have a legal obligation to pay it.

Amazingly he got a round of applause for that nonsense.

The most truthful thing he says, comes right at the very end where he says "Ive got to find out where I am going here"

Purely with Brexit in mind, I have no respect for the man whatsoever, if it were a matter of opinions, and I disagreed with his, I would just be happy to argue about them.

However he has embarked on a Brexit tour assuring the general public that his lies are in fact the truth, and giving them a false sense of security.

He should stick to pubs.

However, airlines operating inside the EU (between member countries like France and Germany for example, without going through the UK) will have to comply with EU majority ownership rules. These rules say that the majority of shareholders in an airline have to be based in the EU—UK shareholders will no longer count towards that threshold after 29 March 2019. In order to operate flights within the EU, air carriers with UK shareholders will have to change their ownership structure to ensure they meet that threshold.

this is on youguv.
    If the UK leaves the EU in March 2019 with no agreement in place, UK and EU licensed airlines would lose the automatic right to operate air services between the UK and the EU without seeking advance permission. This would mean that airlines operating between the UK and the EU would need to seek individual permissions to operate. EU-licensed airlines would lose the ability to operate wholly within the UK (for example from Heathrow to Edinburgh) and UK-licensed airlines would lose the ability to operate intra-EU air services (for example from Milan to Paris).

As many as 5 million airline tickets could be canceled in the event of a no-deal Brexit, according to the aviation trade group International Air Transport Association (IATA).
    In the event of a hard Brexit, the number of flights between the UK and the rest of Europe would be capped at 2018’s level, meaning that UK-based carriers could not add any new flights for 2019. That potentially means that UK airlines could not operate thousands of new flights they have scheduled for 2019 and would have to cancel them.
    IATA’s research estimates that there up to 5 million extra seats on these new flights added by airlines to their 2019 schedules to meet consumer demand. “Many of these will be in the peak summer season when families will be booking holidays,” the group said in a recent statement. “These are at risk if a ‘no deal’ Brexit occurs.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQVfaYjEFc

Note the bolded bits at the top.....it's not a lie , it's an opinion ! , also pay attention to your own quote regarding the governments report saying " could" ...then you need to google the word " could " and realise that is not the same as " will " . Also I fail to see how an opinion that port freight trade will drop and ports will block up correlate.

This brings me on to Tim Martin, person number 3

I am really motivated by the fact that out of all this the above is the only thing that you could pick holes in.
    Unfortunately it just shows that you don't seem to be keeping up.
    I posted an article recently which said this,

But the moment we leave the EU, this stops. Your component manufacturer may still comply with exactly the same standards, but if the product requires independent testing , any testing houses and the regulatory agencies are no longer recognised. The consignment has no valid paperwork. And, without it, it must be subject to border checks, visual inspection and physical testing.

What that means in practice is that the customs inspector detains your shipment and takes samples to send to an approved testing house (one for the inspector, one for the office pool, one for the stevedores and one for the lab is often the case). Your container inspection is typically about £700 and detention costs about £80 a day for the ten days or so it will take to get your results back. Add the testing fee and you’re paying an extra £2,000 to deliver a container into the EU.

So all products that require testing WILL BE DELAYED by up to 10 days. They will be just sitting there waiting for the tests to be carried out and costing around 2k extra per container.
    This a fact, not an opinion.

In addition to this, if we just think about Dover.

Around 11,000 trucks pass through Dover on a daily basis.

Leaving on a no deal Brexit will mean that these trucks will have to be checked.

This is a fact not an opinion.

Hauliers were impressed by what they heard in Lille on Monday but said much more needed to be done in Britain.
    As it stands, each haulier entering Britain will be required to submit a 40-field declaration form per consignment before travel.
    “The form takes 10 minutes to fill out. If you take a large retailer who has 8,000 consignments [in one lorry], that would take 170 people eight hours to process one trailer,” said Richard Burnett, RHA chief executive.
    “That is the worst-case scenario. But even if you took the average trailer which has 400 consignments per delivery, that would take nine people eight hours to process.”
    “I can’t for the life of me see how this is going to work,” Burnett added, pointing out that 11,000 trucks a day use Dover, triple the amount pre-single market in 1993.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/11/dover-checks-would-take-eight-hours-per-lorry-in-no-deal-brexit

There will be border delays.

This doesn't even take into account where we would find 8,000 customs officers, and train them, to cover all our ports between now and the end of March.

There are many predictions from animals dying in transit, to 30 minute delays causing one in ten companies to go bankrupt but there will be delays.

Brexiteers 'not telling the truth' on no-deal consequences for UK food exports, says French regional president
    Hervé Morin, president of the Normandy region, insisted checks would be unavoidable due to EU customs union and single market rules
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-no-deal-normandy-customs-checks-france-herve-morin-third-country-food-a8644736.html

He could be right, but all these are wrong.

No-deal Brexit could hit food prices and availability, retail chiefs warn
    PA Ready News UK via Yahoo News UK· 19 minutes ago
    Leading retailers have warned that a no-deal Brexit will drive up food prices and pose a...

'No-deal' Brexit would leave shelves empty, British Retail Consortium warns
    Sky News via Yahoo News UK· 30 minutes ago
    A 'no-deal' Brexit would lead to higher prices, empty shelves and pose a threat to the UK's food...

Major Supermarkets Warn No-Deal Brexit Will Lead To Empty Shelves
    HuffPost UK via Yahoo News UK· 16 minutes ago
    The letter said that despite having worked on contingency plans, their ability to to mitigate the...

Brexit: Britons travelling to EU face 'delays and questioning ...
    www.independent.co.uk › News › UK › UK Politics
    Britons travelling to EU countries face major delays and questioning by border officials if there is a no-deal Brexit, a leaked official document reveals. The UK would also suffer a “degradation ...

EU warns of transport delays, border checks, with no-deal Brexit
    www.france24.com/en/20181219-brexit-eu-warns...
    However, in a sign that a no-deal Brexit would not be business as usual, there would be new checks to currently frictionless trade, which could lead to tail-backs near ports and delays to deliveries.

Brexit customs delays of 30 minutes could bankrupt one in 10 ...
    www.independent.co.uk › … › Business › Business News

Despite the potential chaos of a no-deal Brexit, ... John Glen, an economist at Cips, said the UK economy could “fall off a cliff” as a result of border delays of just 10 minutes ...
    No-deal Brexit 'WILL mean hard border on island of Ireland ...
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6619073/No-deal..
    Leo Varadkar today said Ireland and the UK will have to strike a customs deal to keep the Irish border open if there is a no deal Brexit. ... the Government to delay Brexit if a deal has not been ...
    Border Delays No Deal Brexit - Video Results

No-deal Brexit: UK holidaymakers face three-hour delays at airport security, warns travel association boss
    independent.co.uk

Delays at Calais border will last weeks says expert
    express.co.uk

Brexit DELAY: Ireland calls for Article 50 EXTENSION as deadline for deal looms
    express.co.uk

Brexit: Population respond to border traffic jam risks
    express.co.uk

More Border Delays No Deal Brexit videos
    Govt warns of six-month border disruption under 'no-deal' Brexit
    news.sky.com/story/government-warns-of-six-month...

Medical suppliers have been warned of border disruption for up to six months in the event of a "no-deal" Brexit. In a series of letters to industry, Health Secretary Matt Hancock set out "revised ...
    Food safety controls could be SUSPENDED to prevent border ...
    www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/food-safety...

Food safety controls could be SUSPENDED to prevent border delays in no deal Brexit. The warnings are contained in a new government briefing on 'food security after Brexit'
    UK border 'not ready for no-deal Brexit' - report - news.sky.com
    news.sky.com/story/uk-border-not-ready-for-no...

UK border 'not ready for no-deal Brexit' - report. Eleven out of the 12 big projects to replace or change key border systems are at risk of being inadequate or unfinished.
    No-deal Brexit will bring tangle of red tape, Britain warns ...
    www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-idUSKCN1L72AA

Britain on Thursday told companies trading with the European Union they would face a tangle of red tape, possible border delays and more costly credit card payments if the government fails to ...
    No-deal Brexit 'means hard border' - European Commission ...
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46961982

Media caption'In a no-deal, you will have a hard border' It is "obvious" there will be a hard border in Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the European Commission's chief spokesman has said ...
    What is a 'no deal' Brexit? Consequences of UK leaving …

inews.co.uk/news/brexit/no-deal-brexit-what...
    While physical infrastructure has been vetoed, the border would become an external frontier for the EU in the event of a no deal Brexit. There would be pressure to enforce customs and immigration ..