You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,835

Just had a wetherspoons news shoved through my letter box ...when did this start happening ? Thought they were just in the pubs ?

He is deluded.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    haha >>

Duncan Weldon

Verified account

@DuncanWeldon
    Follow Follow @DuncanWeldon
    More
    The Malthouse Compromise. The Grieve Amendment. The Backstop. The Salzburg Summit. The Implementation Period.

Brexit is basically a never ending series of bad airport spy thriller titles.

12:10 AM - 29 Jan 2019
    It would appear that The Speaker will choose to debate around 6 of the 15 or so amendments that have been proposed.
    As usual Labour have not yet decided which they will support, or their whipping arrangements.

haha >>

Duncan Weldon

Verified account

@DuncanWeldon
    Follow Follow @DuncanWeldon
    More
    The Malthouse Compromise. The Grieve Amendment. The Backstop. The Salzburg Summit. The Implementation Period.

Brexit is basically a never ending series of bad airport spy thriller titles.

12:10 AM - 29 Jan 2019

Very appropriate.
    edited January 2019
    Labour now plan to support the Cooper amendment, but shorten the extension period.
    Labour members pile pressure on Corbyn to back second referendum

Labour chiefs are being flooded with demands for the party to move towards backing a second referendum.
    Party members are piling pressure on Jeremy Corbyn and the ruling National Executive Committee, which was meeting this morning, to support another public say on Brexit. The issue may be raised, though was not on the agenda.
    So far, the Labour leader has refused to adopt such a stance amid fears that it could alienate Leave voters.
    A startling 13,000 submissions have now reportedly been made to the party urging it to shift to backing another referendum and a delay to Brexit so it no longer happens on March 29. Labour MP Yvette Cooper has put down an amendment that would extend Article 50, thereby delaying leaving the EU

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-members-pile-pressure-corbyn-111826282.html
    HAYSIE said:

Labour now plan to support the Cooper amendment, but shorten the extension period.

He is obviously afraid of his leave supporting MPs, and voters.

A 9 month extension would allow the time required for another referendum, whereas a shorter extension wouldn't.

A compromise to try to keep both sides happy.

Where have we seen that before?

Usually results in both sides being unhappy.

The members wont be.
    Labour to back Brexit amendment to stop no-deal

Labour has thrown its weight behind a plan to prevent a no-deal Brexit and give MPs the power to request an extension to Article 50.
    The proposal from the Labour MP Yvette Cooper, calls for a vote on a draft Bill that would give parliament control over the Brexit process if the prime minister fails to secure backing for her deal by 26 February.
    If passed and Ms May fails to rally support before the deadline, MPs would then get a vote on requesting an extension to Article 50 - delaying the day Britain leaves the EU, which is currently due to happen on 29 March.
    A Labour source told The Independent: “We are backing the [Yvette] Cooper amendment to reduce the threat of the chaos of a no-deal exit.
    “The Cooper Bill could give MPs a temporary window to agree a deal that can bring the country together.”
    The source made clear the party would attempt to shorten the proposed extension period in Ms Cooper’s Bill which currently stands at nine months.
    Ms Cooper’s plan, which also has the backing of some senior Conservative MPs such as Nick Boles, now appears likely to pass given the support from Labour's frontbench —if it selected for voting on by the Commons speaker John Bercow on Tuesday
    Any request to extend Article 50, however, would ultimately have to receive the unanimous backing of the EU 27, who have the power the grant or refuse an extension to the two-year timeframe of the negotiations.
    The decision from Labour came as Ms May told her cabinet that she is prepared to reopen the withdrawal agreement to seek legally-binding changes to the backstop.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-back-brexit-amendment-stop-121500908.html
    How May could have avoided Tory revolt
    Norman Smith

Assistant political editor

"Mrs May seems to have averted a threatened revolt by Tory Brexiteers who - only last night -were saying they were going to rebel because they thought her approach to renegotiation of the backstop was frankly too flimsy and not good enough.

"Now they're all lovey-dovey, with Boris Johnson saying he'll gladly support the prime minister.

"Why? Because Mrs May has taken an almighty hop, skip and jump in the direction of the Brexiteers by telling cabinet this morning she will go to Brussels and ask them to reopen the withdrawal agreement and to agree to legally binding guarantees against the backstop - what the Brexiteers have demanded for yonks she should do and the European Commission has consistently said no to."

How May could have avoided Tory revolt
    Norman Smith

Assistant political editor

"Mrs May seems to have averted a threatened revolt by Tory Brexiteers who - only last night -were saying they were going to rebel because they thought her approach to renegotiation of the backstop was frankly too flimsy and not good enough.

"Now they're all lovey-dovey, with Boris Johnson saying he'll gladly support the prime minister.

"Why? Because Mrs May has taken an almighty hop, skip and jump in the direction of the Brexiteers by telling cabinet this morning she will go to Brussels and ask them to reopen the withdrawal agreement and to agree to legally binding guarantees against the backstop - what the Brexiteers have demanded for yonks she should do and the European Commission has consistently said no to."

You couldn't make it up.
    tbf ..thought that was an ok performance by Corbyn ...liked this one :smile:

Environment Secretary Michael Gove intervenes to ask why Jeremy Corbyn is scared to take an intervention from Labour MP Angela Smith, believed to be wanting to ask a question about a second referendum.

Jeremy Corbyn thanks Michael Gove for "that brief statement of his leadership intentions".

tbf ..thought that was an ok performance by Corbyn ...liked this one :smile:

Environment Secretary Michael Gove intervenes to ask why Jeremy Corbyn is scared to take an intervention from Labour MP Angela Smith, believed to be wanting to ask a question about a second referendum.

Jeremy Corbyn thanks Michael Gove for "that brief statement of his leadership intentions".

Yeah, saw it, very entertaining
    Sajid Javid confirms ‘unlimited numbers’ of EU migrants will still be able to enter the UK for up to three years after Brexit even if there is No Deal

Unlimited numbers of EU migrants will still be able to come to Britain for up to three years even if there is no deal, the Government admitted last night.
    Sajid Javid said that citizens from the bloc would be allowed to enter the UK to visit, work or study after Brexit day on March 29.
    Outlining immigration arrangements for ‘no deal’, the Home Secretary said he was committed to honouring the referendum result by ending free movement.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/sajid-javid-confirms-‘unlimited-numbers’-of-eu-migrants-will-still-be-able-to-enter-the-uk-for-up-to-three-years-after-brexit-even-if-there-is-no-deal/ar-BBSSbEt?ocid=spartandhp
    Posted at 15:5415:54
    May 'already spoken to Juncker'
    According to Reuters, Theresa May spoke to the president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, before making her statement to Parliament.

Wonder how that phone call went :smile:

" Hi Jean Claude , it's theresa "

" Theresa let me stop you right there , nothings changed "

Awkward silence ....." Ummm ok , I will work on plan z and speak to you soon "

Phone gets hung up before she manages to get the word "speak" out .

According to Reuters, Theresa May spoke to the president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, before making her statement to Parliament.

Its just embarrassing.
    HAYSIE said:

Its just embarrassing.
    Although the underlying point was that he was dodging a referendum intervention
  • HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 898
    I will admit I really do not care one way or the other about this Brexit debate its been going on now for 2 yrs as you seem to know a awful lot HAYSIE, which I do not can you explain to me what the Lisbon treaty will entail for the UK if the UK ends up remaining in the EU .. I have asked my local MP to explain but as all good politicians, would not give me a clear answer only that no deal would be bad and I mean really bad but ive read on other forums that this Lisbon treaty if we stay in the EU will be even worse than leaving as I said this is only what I have read and my local MP which is Amber Rudd is not very clear on the implications who do I believe .. hopefully you have some sort of understanding and can explain
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,681
    Can someone explain why Theresa May thinks she can go back to the EU and start renegotiating when the EU have stated time and time again that there is no renegotiation.
    lucy4 said:

Can someone explain why Theresa May thinks she can go back to the EU and start renegotiating when the EU have stated time and time again that there is no renegotiation.

She doesn't really , its just a political move to keep the party together and delay the whole process further imo
    edited January 2019
    Donald Tusk: Withdrawal Agreement is not open for renegotiation
    The European Council president reacts to events in the Commons

“We welcome and share the UK Parliament's ambition to avoid a no-deal scenario," says a spokesman for Donald Tusk.

"We continue to urge the UK government to clarify its intentions with respect to its next steps as soon as possible.

"The Withdrawal Agreement is and remains the best and only way to ensure an orderly withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.

"The backstop is part of the Withdrawal Agreement, and the Withdrawal Agreement is not open for re-negotiation.

"The December European Council Conclusions are very clear on this point.

"If the UK's intentions for the future partnership were to evolve, the EU would be prepared to reconsider its offer and adjust the content and the level of ambition of the political declaration, whilst respecting its established principles.

"Should there be a UK reasoned request for an extension, the EU27 would stand ready to consider it and decide by unanimity.

"The EU27 will adopt this decision, taking into account the reasons for and duration of a possible extension, as well as the need to ensure the functioning of the EU institutions.

"We will continue our preparations for all outcomes, including a no-deal scenario. We will also continue the EU´s process of ratification of the agreement reached with the UK government."