You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2019

This brings me on to Tim Martin, person number 3

I am really motivated by the fact that out of all this the above is the only thing that you could pick holes in.
    Unfortunately it just shows that you don't seem to be keeping up
    I posted an article recently which said this,

But the moment we leave the EU, this stops. Your component manufacturer may still comply with exactly the same standards, but if the product requires independent testing , any testing houses and the regulatory agencies are no longer recognised. The consignment has no valid paperwork. And, without it, it must be subject to border checks, visual inspection and physical testing.

What that means in practice is that the customs inspector detains your shipment and takes samples to send to an approved testing house (one for the inspector, one for the office pool, one for the stevedores and one for the lab is often the case). Your container inspection is typically about £700 and detention costs about £80 a day for the ten days or so it will take to get your results back. Add the testing fee and you’re paying an extra £2,000 to deliver a container into the EU.

So all products that require testing WILL BE DELAYED by up to 10 days. They will be just sitting there waiting for the tests to be carried out and costing around 2k extra per container.
    This a fact, not an opinion.

In addition to this, if we just think about Dover.

Around 11,000 trucks pass through Dover on a daily basis.

Leaving on a no deal Brexit will mean that these trucks will have to be checked.

This is a fact not an opinion.

Hauliers were impressed by what they heard in Lille on Monday but said much more needed to be done in Britain.
    As it stands, each haulier entering Britain will be required to submit a 40-field declaration form per consignment before travel.
    “The form takes 10 minutes to fill out. If you take a large retailer who has 8,000 consignments [in one lorry], that would take 170 people eight hours to process one trailer,” said Richard Burnett, RHA chief executive.
    “That is the worst-case scenario. But even if you took the average trailer which has 400 consignments per delivery, that would take nine people eight hours to process.”
    “I can’t for the life of me see how this is going to work,” Burnett added, pointing out that 11,000 trucks a day use Dover, triple the amount pre-single market in 1993.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/11/dover-checks-would-take-eight-hours-per-lorry-in-no-deal-brexit

There will be border delays.

This doesn't even take into account where we would find 8,000 customs officers, and train them, to cover all our ports between now and the end of March.

There are many predictions from animals dying in transit, to 30 minute delays causing one in ten companies to go bankrupt but there will be delays.

Brexiteers 'not telling the truth' on no-deal consequences for UK food exports, says French regional president
    Hervé Morin, president of the Normandy region, insisted checks would be unavoidable due to EU customs union and single market rules
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-no-deal-normandy-customs-checks-france-herve-morin-third-country-food-a8644736.html

Actually what it shows is that I have other things to do with my time ..if I was to come on this thread and pull you up on every thing I disagree with or is wrong or a "remain" exaggeration , I would run out of hours in the day .

Second bolded part Predictions and worst case scenarios , not fact !
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,836

Haven't got any real enthusiasm to counter the accusations against JRM , as I'm not a big fan of his . However one thing I would quote in his defence :

Mr Rees-Mogg was asked about the claim by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)_ that leaving on WTO terms would damage the economy.

In response he went on the attack saying: “The CBI’s record is even worse than the Treasury’s.

“The CBI thought we should join the ERM, it thought we should join the Euro.”

He also noted that the CBI had predicted the UK economy would shrink by 3.6 percent to 6 percent if there was a Brexit vote, and that unemployment would increase by between 500,000 and 800,000.

Neither of these have taken place.

What they keep managing to do is write off anything that doesnt support their view as project fear.
    David Cameroon and George Osbourne mistakenly produced some forecasts which were maybe designed to scare people into voting remain.
    This was a huge mistake.
    I not sure how you could argue that a leave vote on its own could possibly create such a large increase in unemployment. What would cause it?
    However he is part of The Government, and their own projections show that every Brexit option leaves our economy worse off.
    Now I can understand that, and the reason for it will be that we will be doing less trade with The EU. Therefore less jobs and more unemployment.

I dont understand why an economy would shrink on the result of a vote.

I could understand the pound falling which it did, and the markets dipping, because both of these are affected by confidence in the future of our economy, these could be affected by the result of a vote that was expected to cause future damage.
    edited January 2019

This brings me on to Tim Martin, person number 3

I am really motivated by the fact that out of all this the above is the only thing that you could pick holes in.
    Unfortunately it just shows that you don't seem to be keeping up
    I posted an article recently which said this,

But the moment we leave the EU, this stops. Your component manufacturer may still comply with exactly the same standards, but if the product requires independent testing , any testing houses and the regulatory agencies are no longer recognised. The consignment has no valid paperwork. And, without it, it must be subject to border checks, visual inspection and physical testing.

What that means in practice is that the customs inspector detains your shipment and takes samples to send to an approved testing house (one for the inspector, one for the office pool, one for the stevedores and one for the lab is often the case). Your container inspection is typically about £700 and detention costs about £80 a day for the ten days or so it will take to get your results back. Add the testing fee and you’re paying an extra £2,000 to deliver a container into the EU.

So all products that require testing WILL BE DELAYED by up to 10 days. They will be just sitting there waiting for the tests to be carried out and costing around 2k extra per container.
    This a fact, not an opinion.

In addition to this, if we just think about Dover.

Around 11,000 trucks pass through Dover on a daily basis.

Leaving on a no deal Brexit will mean that these trucks will have to be checked.

This is a fact not an opinion.

Hauliers were impressed by what they heard in Lille on Monday but said much more needed to be done in Britain.
    As it stands, each haulier entering Britain will be required to submit a 40-field declaration form per consignment before travel.
    “The form takes 10 minutes to fill out. If you take a large retailer who has 8,000 consignments [in one lorry], that would take 170 people eight hours to process one trailer,” said Richard Burnett, RHA chief executive.
    “That is the worst-case scenario. But even if you took the average trailer which has 400 consignments per delivery, that would take nine people eight hours to process.”
    “I can’t for the life of me see how this is going to work,” Burnett added, pointing out that 11,000 trucks a day use Dover, triple the amount pre-single market in 1993.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/11/dover-checks-would-take-eight-hours-per-lorry-in-no-deal-brexit

There will be border delays.

This doesn't even take into account where we would find 8,000 customs officers, and train them, to cover all our ports between now and the end of March.

There are many predictions from animals dying in transit, to 30 minute delays causing one in ten companies to go bankrupt but there will be delays.

Brexiteers 'not telling the truth' on no-deal consequences for UK food exports, says French regional president
    Hervé Morin, president of the Normandy region, insisted checks would be unavoidable due to EU customs union and single market rules
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-no-deal-normandy-customs-checks-france-herve-morin-third-country-food-a8644736.html

Actually what it shows is that I have other things to do with my time ..if I was to come on this thread and pull you up on every thing I disagree with or is wrong or a "remain" exaggeration , I would run out of hours in the day .

Second bolded part Predictions and worst case scenarios , not fact !

Carrying out customs checks on 11,000 trucks per day just at Dover and causing no delays, would be a miracle of loaves and fishes proportions.

I never presented them as facts. They are the predicted results of the delays.

What I said is that there will be delays is a fact, contrary to what the man in the pub said.
    edited January 2019
    What I find more and more irritating as the days go on , throughout the media , is the constant stream of " what if's " in the case of no deal .
    This scenario is not going to happen for 2 very simple reasons :
    a) The politicians know that it would be mass political suicide for all of them if they allowed it to happen ..( and their first concern is to save their own necks) , and

b) If it did happen , there would be chaos ( so yea I disagree with the likes of Tim Martin on that point )

So all of this stirring people up by the media , into a frenzy of "them or us " sides , is just pathetic . If anyone thinks that no deal might happen , I suggest you get yourself onto the exchanges and get some of the 3/1 i think is still available , make a killing and leave the country before you get sucked into the maelstrom you might view as imminent.
    edited January 2019
    The other amazing thing about this video is that he incredibly asks the question "Why is there a tariff on New Zealand wine"
    This is the man that thinks we should have walked out of the EU talks, and traded with them on WTO rules.
    The answer to his question is that we trade with New Zealand on WTO rules, that's why there is a tariff.
    Nothing to do with The EU.
    We trade with New Zealand in a way that he advocates going forward.
    So accepting his advice going forward we would have tariffs imposed on French, German, and Italian wine, where there are none now.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Of course you could reduce the tariffs, or even do away with them, by doing a free trade deal, but that wouldn't then be a no deal, would it?

He wants to do away with tariffs by doing free trade deals, but there is no point in doing trade deals with a country that has no tariffs because you can trade with them tariff free anyway.
    WTO rules dont allow you to differentiate your tariffs from one country to another.

So he sees our ability to do a trade deal with New Zealand in a few years time, and import tariff free wine, as a major benefit of crashing out of The EU.

He doesnt really seem to grasp the Single Market concept nor WTO rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQVfaYjEFc

What I find more and more irritating as the days go on , throughout the media , is the constant stream of " what if's " in the case of no deal .
    This scenario is not going to happen for 2 very simple reasons :
    a) The politicians know that it would be mass political suicide for all of them if they allowed it to happen ..( and their first concern is to save their own necks) , and

b) If it did happen , there would be chaos ( so yea I disagree with the likes of Tim Martin on that point )

So all of this stirring people up by the media , into a frenzy of "them or us " sides , is just pathetic . If anyone thinks that no deal might happen , I suggest you get yourself onto the exchanges and get some of the 3/1 i think is still available , make a killing and leave the country before you get sucked into the maelstrom you might view as imminent.

There seems to be a majority in Parliament against no deal.
    Despite the efforts of Lord Snooty and his gang.
    The problem is that I dont think anyone is certain that they have a clear means to stop it.
    The law that says we leave on 29th of March has already been passed, and it is therefore the default position.
    Tomorrow is a big day.
    Some MPs are arguing that Yvette Coopers amendment is a means to get a second referendum, because it is suggesting a delay til December.

The PM is keen to keep it on the table as a threat to those refusing to vote for her deal.

The EU have said a number of times that they would extend, but not for just more thinking time.

They certainly would for a General Election, or referendum.

I think it is still possible to get there accidently.
    The obvious thing is that they cant actually get no deal off the table, all they can do is delay it.
    An extension to Article 50 just delays no deal for a few months.
    Maybe until December, or perhaps July, when the new MEPs take their seats.
    What happens next.
    They seem to be going backwards.
    One of the amendments being voted on tomorrow is to do away with The Backstop.

The EU, and the Irish both seem adamant that this wont happen.
    Yet a vote in favour would involve more trips to Europe, and us getting closer to a crash out.
    HAYSIE said:

The obvious thing is that they cant actually get no deal off the table, all they can do is delay it.
    What happens next.

Yet a vote in favour would involve more trips to Europe, and us getting closer to a crash out.

Is it possible for Theresa May to do as Jeremy Corbyn asks and to “take no deal off the table” – his precondition before entering talks with the Prime Minister to resolve the Brexit crisis? He has now gone one further and asked Labour MPs not to engage in negotiations with the government until the threat is off the table either. Hilary Benn and Yvette Cooper, who had gone to meet with ministers before Corbyn's request arrived with MPs, have both repeated Corbyn's call for no deal to be ruled out. Can it be done?

Well, sort of. The only way to prevent the United Kingdom leaving without a deal is for Parliament – not the government, but Parliament – to vote for something in its place, whether that is a negotiated deal with the European Union or no Brexit at all. Otherwise, the United Kingdom will leave the European Union without a deal.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/01/can-theresa-may-take-no-deal-table

HAYSIE said:

What happens next.

Is it possible for Theresa May to do as Jeremy Corbyn asks and to “take no deal off the table” – his precondition before entering talks with the Prime Minister to resolve the Brexit crisis? He has now gone one further and asked Labour MPs not to engage in negotiations with the government until the threat is off the table either. Hilary Benn and Yvette Cooper, who had gone to meet with ministers before Corbyn's request arrived with MPs, have both repeated Corbyn's call for no deal to be ruled out. Can it be done?

Well, sort of. The only way to prevent the United Kingdom leaving without a deal is for Parliament – not the government, but Parliament – to vote for something in its place, whether that is a negotiated deal with the European Union or no Brexit at all. Otherwise, the United Kingdom will leave the European Union without a deal.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/01/can-theresa-may-take-no-deal-table
    They have to find a solution at some point.
    It doesnt look very encouraging.
    An extension just kicks the can down the road again, but will avoid no deal for a minute.
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    UK NEWS
    Gary Lineker SLAMMED by NHS for spreading Fake News LIES!

FacebookTwitter
    Controversial BBC pundit Gary Lineker has been at the centre of a ferocious twitter firestorm after promoting a leaflet that contained blatant inaccuracies about what could happen in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

Project fear from jug ears.
    The PM has apparently said today that she wants her MPs to vote for the Graham Brady amendment tomorrow, which is to replace The Backstop with alternative arrangements.
    This would obviously mean a bit more back and for with The EU, and Ireland, whatever these alternative arrangements might be. The clock is ticking.

Lord Snooty has already said no.
    Next Meaningful Vote is on 13th February.
    Merrill Lynch set to move hundreds of jobs to Paris in Brexit hammerblow

Bank of America Merrill Lynch is poised to move hundreds of London staff to Paris next week as it implements its Brexit plans.
    The Standard understands about 200 London sales and support staff will start moving to the bank’s newly refurbished offices in the French capital from next Monday as the bank moves its European broker-dealer hub from London.
    Although broker-dealing will be run out of new offices in Paris’s Rue La Boétie, BAML’s European headquarters will be run from Dublin, where 100 staff have already moved.
    Like most investment banks with European headquarters in London, BAML has set its Brexit contingency planning for a no-deal exit.
    BAML joins Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Citigroup and other major banks in moving of staff out of London, with little likelihood of their returning. One senior executive working on his bank’s Brexit preparations said: “Over the past decade, banks have been concentrating their European businesses in London, but that’s over. The political instability in the UK has shown us the dangers of putting all our eggs in one basket. We have passed Peak City.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/merrill-lynch-set-move-hundreds-120200633.html
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited January 2019
    https://youtu.be/gATL3luS5W8
    Steptoe is looking rough.
    Just been listening to a Brexit voting politics student on Sky News.

She claimed that we were better leaving with no deal, and doing separate trade deals with each of the other 27.

As members we are unable to negotiate individual trade deals, as The EU do that centrally.

So how would it therefore be possible for the 27 individual countries to agree trade deals with us.

The fella that was stood next to her agreed.

They just make it up as they go along.
    edited January 2019
    This lays out the amendments, exactly what they consist of and who's proposing them pretty well >>>>

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/parliament-next-steps-brexit

Prob the key one >>>

Yvette Cooper, Labour MP and Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee
    Would suspend Standing Order 14(1) (which gives government business precedence in the House) on 5 February 2019.

On that day, a business of the House motion (which sets out how business proceeds) connected to a new piece of legislation – the EU Withdrawal No.3 Bill – which has the support of at least 10 MPs from four different parties would be the first item of business.

After the House has voted on the motion, it will then move on to the second reading of the EU Withdrawal No.3 Bill. Amendments to the bill will be accepted before it has had its second reading.

What does this mean?

The EU Withdrawal No.3 Bill compels the Prime Minister to hold a vote on a motion which would direct her to seek an extension of Article 50 if the Commons has not approved her deal by 26 February. This is very similar to Rachel Reeves’ amendment, but if the legislation is passed in the separate vote Cooper envisages, then it would be legally binding on the Government.

The purpose of amending Commons procedure for the 5 February is to give time to debate the bill (which is normally only in the gift of the Government). The business motion could allow the bill to complete all Commons stages in one day. However, the bill would still need to pass in the Lords.

Support ,
    MPs from six political parties, including former ministers

This lays out the amendments, exactly what they consist of and who's proposing them pretty well >>>>

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/parliament-next-steps-brexit

Prob the key one >>>

Yvette Cooper, Labour MP and Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee
    Would suspend Standing Order 14(1) (which gives government business precedence in the House) on 5 February 2019.

On that day, a business of the House motion (which sets out how business proceeds) connected to a new piece of legislation – the EU Withdrawal No.3 Bill – which has the support of at least 10 MPs from four different parties would be the first item of business.

After the House has voted on the motion, it will then move on to the second reading of the EU Withdrawal No.3 Bill. Amendments to the bill will be accepted before it has had its second reading.

What does this mean?

The EU Withdrawal No.3 Bill compels the Prime Minister to hold a vote on a motion which would direct her to seek an extension of Article 50 if the Commons has not approved her deal by 26 February. This is very similar to Rachel Reeves’ amendment, but if the legislation is passed in the separate vote Cooper envisages, then it would be legally binding on the Government.

The purpose of amending Commons procedure for the 5 February is to give time to debate the bill (which is normally only in the gift of the Government). The business motion could allow the bill to complete all Commons stages in one day. However, the bill would still need to pass in the Lords.

Support ,
    MPs from six political parties, including former ministers

It will be interesting to see which of the amendments The Speaker selects.
    There was a programme on last night, called Inside Europe, which is supposed to explain how we got where we are.
    Just had a wetherspoons news shoved through my letter box ...when did this start happening ? Thought they were just in the pubs ?