You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,926
    Maybe you could explain how that would affect your life in a positive way?
    FCHD said:

Can this be moved to the Rail please? No problems having such a thread, but "Poker Chat" it isn't.

Maybe you could explain how that would affect your life in a positive way?
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    edited September 2018
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Personally I hope Brexit happens quickly , if only so you can move swiftly on to your next obsession , because this one like the last couple is boring me to tears ! Incidentally , why the **** is this in poker chat and not with the rest of the drivel in the rail ?

You have my sympathy if someone is forcing you to read it.
    Apology accepted ...now get a life !
    An internet forum is a terrific place to debate the pros and cons of practically any particular subject.
    However, a small group of people seem to have taken on the role of self appointed critics.
    Yet they don't seem to have a wish to express personal views on any topic.
    They will never start a thread on any subject.
    Their criticism never seems to be constructive, and often, nothing to do with the content of a particular thread.

If you had no interest in Brexit, what would encourage you to clink on a thread that was clearly entitled Brexit?

If you had done so accidentally, what would then inspire you to criticise the topic, or contributors?

Its all beyond me.

Whether the people that have no interest in Brexit, deserve to be poorer as a result of it, is another debate.
    Haysie
    The trouble is, you won’t actually debate with anyone. You are entirely fixed in your views and won’t enteratin any other views. Instead you are rude to anyone who disagrees with you and just claim that they aren’t very bright.
    It makes the whole thread rather pointless.

I also understand why people want the thread moved. It has nothing to do with poker and there are other areas of the forum better suited to a thread such as this. I get your point about people don’t have to open the thread but even so with your very regular contributions, it is always at the top of poker chat.

As it happens i think that us leaving is disastrous and so do agree with a lot of what you write. But i also respect other people’s views on leave and they have many points that are valid.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Jac35 said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Personally I hope Brexit happens quickly , if only so you can move swiftly on to your next obsession , because this one like the last couple is boring me to tears ! Incidentally , why the **** is this in poker chat and not with the rest of the drivel in the rail ?

An internet forum is a terrific place to debate the pros and cons of practically any particular subject.
    However, a small group of people seem to have taken on the role of self appointed critics.
    Their criticism never seems to be constructive, and often, nothing to do with the content of a particular thread.

If you had no interest in Brexit, what would encourage you to clink on a thread that was clearly entitled Brexit?

If you had done so accidentally, what would then inspire you to criticise the topic, or contributors?

Its all beyond me.

Whether the people that have no interest in Brexit, deserve to be poorer as a result of it, is another debate.
    Haysie
    The trouble is, you won’t actually debate with anyone. You are entirely fixed in your views and won’t enteratin any other views. Instead you are rude to anyone who disagrees with you and just claim that they aren’t very bright.

I also understand why people want the thread moved. It has nothing to do with poker and there are other areas of the forum better suited to a thread such as this. I get your point about people don’t have to open the thread but even so with your very regular contributions, it is always at the top of poker chat.

As it happens i think that us leaving is disastrous and so do agree with a lot of what you write. But i also respect other people’s views on leave and they have many points that are valid.
    Jac,

I am prepared to debate with anyone.

I think that on this topic most people are fixed in their views, you are either for or against. I am fully prepared to entertain other views, otherwise it wouldn't be a debate.

I may have been rude to one person, but in my opinion, with just cause, and was not alone in the comments I made.
    I will admit to treating comments like the fact that one in six British families are in debt, because we are in the EU, with the ridicule they deserved.
    Undeniable proof that some of the comments haven't been very bright,
    I did find communication with one person particularly frustrating.

I posted this thread in Poker chat by mistake. This was pointed out in a light hearted way very early on. Tikay replied to their post, saying he was going to leave it where it was.
    I have no idea why this decision was made, but I absolutely wouldn't care where it was. I just think disinterested people should find it very easy to avoid.
    If the biggest problem you have in your life is that a thread is in the wrong place, you are very lucky.
    I don't really understand the implication of it being at the top of poker chat.

As I said I would have absolutely no objection to the thread being moved. Why would I? Someone from Sky would obviously have to do this. So you would need to take it up with them.

Maybe you could have made the valid points for leaving?

ps I am genuinely interested in the reasons why leave voters did so.
  • Options
    pps If you were making any reference to the discourse between me and misty, we worked together for years, have a relationship, and the communication is probably reflective of what a **** useless salesperson he was.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,148
    edited September 2018
    I'm as puzzled as anyone why it matters if this is in Poker Chat, especially as a) it is a VERY important topic which is going to affect every one of us (negatively, imo) quite soon, & b) whilst we might not agree with the debating style of the Welsh octogenarian, at least he is contributing handsomely to the Forum, & if we had 10 more like him the Forum would be a far better place.

One reason it does not matter to me (& many others) where it is, is that I use the "Discussions" tab at the top of the Forum. That effectively removes threads from different Boards & all threads which have been posted on automatically go to the top in time order, latest post at the top. So those of us who use Discussions don't ever see "Boards" as such. It's a much better way of viewing the Forum imo.

Anyway, having said all that, as the Old Boy wrote.

"...As I said I would have absolutely no objection to the thread being moved. Why would I?...."

So I'm going to move it to The Rail.

I very much hope the thread continues to deliver, & folks continue to read it. It's a VERY important topic. If only debates of this nature, here & elsewhere, had taken place before the vote took place.

It has over 7,000 views, & is therefore perhaps the most read thread on the whole Forum, so plenty of folks presumably enjoy the thread.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Finally someone has taken back control and moved this to the rail. Is it possible the thread could be coloured blue so we really know we have control!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    HAYSIE said:

pps If you were making any reference to the discourse between me and misty, we worked together for years, have a relationship, and the communication is probably reflective of what a **** useless salesperson he was.

To be fair, this post does contain some poetic licence, as he was our top man one year.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Tikay10 said:

I'm as puzzled as anyone why it matters if this is in Poker Chat, especially as a) it is a VERY important topic which is going to affect every one of us (negatively, imo) quite soon, & b) whilst we might not agree with the debating style of the Welsh octogenarian, at least he is contributing handsomely to the Forum, & if we had 10 more like him the Forum would be a far better place.

One reason it does not matter to me (& many others) where it is, is that I use the "Discussions" tab at the top of the Forum. That effectively removes threads from different Boards & all threads which have been posted on automatically go to the top in time order, latest post at the top. So those of us who use Discussions don't ever see "Boards" as such. It's a much better way of viewing the Forum imo.

"...As I said I would have absolutely no objection to the thread being moved. Why would I?...."

I very much hope the thread continues to deliver, & folks continue to read it. It's a VERY important topic. If only debates of this nature, here & elsewhere, had taken place before the vote took place.

It has over 7,000 views, & is therefore perhaps the most read thread on the whole Forum, so plenty of folks presumably enjoy the thread.

Thankyou, I don't intend even moaning about the octogenarian bit.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Finally someone has taken back control and moved this to the rail. Is it possible the thread could be coloured blue so we really know we have control!

Not sure what those that have only whinged about it being in poker chat will do now, but I suppose if you try hard enough there is always something to moan about.
  • Options
    I thought Mrs Mays speech the other day was peculiar.

Many papers were carrying stories about the prospect of dedramatizing the negotiations.
    Yet the way in which she strode up to the lectern, delivered the speech, and stamped off at the end, seemed very dramatic.

Some of the content surprised me.

She is absolutely the only person left in the world that still likes her Chequers plan. Yet she is adamant she is sticking with it, like a lemming at the cliff edge.

She says the onus is now on the EU to come up with a new plan.
    Why on earth would that be the case. We chose to leave, so why do the EU have to come up with a plan?

Article 50 is now law. So we will be leaving in March next year. If a deal is not agreed in the meantime, we will leave without one. You would think that the disastrous effect that this is likely to have on our economy, would be inspiring some determination on our side to come up with a plan, rather than hoping that the EU might.

She also made a big deal about the fact that the EU should be showing her more respect. In my experience respect is always earned rather than just given.

It appears to me that the major things getting in the way of fruitful negotiations are firstly, the typical British arrogance, and secondly deaf ears. We are not listening.

The EU have said from the start that the 4 freedoms are indivisible, yet 2 years later we are still trying, because we are arrogant and not listening. If a new member country joined the EU today, they would have to agree to all 4 freedoms, without question.

We cant stay in the Single Market, and the Customs Union, because that wouldn't suit Jacob Rees-Mogg and his disciples, so we have spent two years trying to come up with a plan that keeps us as close as possible, but not in either.

However if we remained in both, trade would continue pretty much as it is now, there would be no need for an Irish border, and the whole thing would have taken about 5 minutes.

A Blind Brexit, or no deal, seem to be becoming more probable.
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Its all beyond me.

Haysie

I could say, well that told you then, but I am not one for rubbing it in.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Jac35 said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Its all beyond me.

Haysie

I could say, well that told you then, but I am not one for rubbing it in.
    What told me what?
    You’ve quoted my post. Did I tell myself?
    What would there be to rub in if you so wished?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

What told me what?
    You’ve quoted my post. Did I tell myself?
    What would there be to rub in if you so wished?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,621
    If people are forced to live in a Slum for 40 years they don't need a debate about wishing to leave.

" Leaver Believer " ........ "Remainer Complainer" cough!
  • Options
    goldon said:

If people are forced to live in a Slum for 40 years they don't need a debate about wishing to leave.

" Leaver Believer " ........ "Remainer Complainer" cough!

Seriously, what contribution do you think the EU would have had in forcing someone to live in a slum in this country for 40 years?

In which way do you think that leaving the EU will help them move out of the slum?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    As you seem reluctant to answer any serious question I will try to explain a bit of it.

You seem unable to grasp the difference between the effect that the EU has on our daily lives, and what control our own Government has.

Our own Government control just about all the important things, like how much tax we pay, duty on a pint of beer, or gallon of petrol, vat, etc.
    They also completely control what this money is spent on. Like less on the police losing 21,000 officers, less to Local Authorities, resulting in cuts in services etc.
    They have imposed 10 years of austerity measures, including a public sector pay freeze, resulting in many millions of people effectively earning less than they were 10 years ago. They are also responsible for the hardship caused to many people through the launch of the Universal Credit benefit.

These are all measures imposed by our Government, and have nothing to do with the EU.

If you wish to talk about housing. Even though we were members of the EU at the time, it was Margaret Thatchers Government that implemented the Right to Buy scheme. This enabled tenants to buy council houses at a discounted price. If you had been a tenant for 2 years you qualified for the right to buy and got a 32% discount. This increased to a maximum of 60% on houses, and 66% on flats according to the length of your tenancy. Fantastic for those that bought them, but not so good for those that may need one in the future.
    This resulted in the council houses being sold off for less than the cost of a building a replacement house.
    Also the majority were sold in the better areas, but few in the rougher districts.
    In addition to this they prohibited the Local Authorities from spending the proceeds of the sales.
    A total of around 5,000 council houses were built in the whole of the country last year, so you have probably got a better chance of winning the lottery, than getting a council house these days.

So if you knew someone who had been forced to live in a slum for 40 years, it would not have been the fault of the EU, and leaving the EU is unlikely to benefit them in any way.

In fact leaving the EU is likely to result in more people living in slums, due to the economic impacts.

It is a mistake to blame the EU for the actions of our Government.

The Brexit vote has already caused many products to become more expensive, as the fall in the pound has affected the price of our imports.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Jac35 said:

Posting abuse that gets deleted, is an ingenious way of encouraging debate.
  • Options
    I believe that some of the poker chat posters have organised a party, to celebrate this thread being moved after 5 months.
    What they going to moan about now?
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,621
    HAYSIE said:

I believe that some of the poker chat posters have organised a party, to celebrate this thread being moved after 5 months.
    What they going to moan about now?

<Think it's called " Leaving Party " You must feel moved by it.