You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,038
    The people that are really getting on my nerves are the Brexiteers that say that they are outraged by the thought of another referendum, and describe it as a betrayal of democracy.
    Yet most people would agree that the electorate are far more educated on the implications of leaving, and are much better placed to make an informed decision than they were two years ago.

People would be able to disregard the lies that were told, and the forecasting that was incorrect.

If none of the people that voted to leave in the last one have changed their minds, we would get the same result.

So why not have one?
    lucy4 said:

Can anyone explain in simple terms what would happen if there is no trade deal agreed upon? The way I understand it,is that the EU wants the UK to pay a sum of money to be able to trade with Europe(I may be wrong on that as it's totally confusing).How would that work out with EU countries wishing to sell their goods to the UK,would they have to pay a tariff to trade with the UK? Like I said,I may be totally wrong in my thinking.

Before we discuss a possible trade deal, we have to conclude the Withdrawal Agreement.
    The Withdrawal Agreement is apparently 90% agreed and includes,
    The future of EU citizens living in the UK, and Brits living in Europe
    The money that we owe them.
    The Irish border.
    Out of these it is the Irish border that is not yet agreed, and the money that people are taking about, is money that we owe them.

The money that we owe them is for projects that we have already committed ourselves to, future pension contributions etc. Also included in the 39 billion we have agreed to pay them is two years of our normal contributions during the transition period. If there was no deal, and therefore no transition period the figure would be reduced to about half of the 39 billion.

Leave without a deal
    A clean break with the EU. The UK would fall back on its membership of the World Trade Organization (WTO), the global body governing international trade.
    UK exports to the EU would be subject to the same customs checks and taxes the EU currently imposes on countries like the United States.
    Those arguing for this option - the so-called "hard Brexiteers" - say it would create a truly independent nation able to strike its own beneficial trade deals around the world.
    But opponents say it would be catastrophic for British business and have warned about chaos at the borders, higher food prices and shortages in the shops

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44858385

lucy4 said:

Can anyone explain in simple terms what would happen if there is no trade deal agreed upon? The way I understand it,is that the EU wants the UK to pay a sum of money to be able to trade with Europe(I may be wrong on that as it's totally confusing).How would that work out with EU countries wishing to sell their goods to the UK,would they have to pay a tariff to trade with the UK? Like I said,I may be totally wrong in my thinking.

The transition period is just a 2 year period, which has been agreed, where we would carry on as we are now, allowing business time to ready themselves for any new rules which may apply to our future trading arrangements.
    Here is something not many people are aware of.

The United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, also known as the EU referendum and the Brexit referendum, took place on 23 June 2016 in the United Kingdom (UK) and Gibraltar to gauge support for the country either remaining a member of, or leaving, the European Union (EU) under the provisions of the European Union Referendum Act 2015 and also the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000. The referendum resulted in a simple majority of 51.9% being in favour of leaving the EU. ALTHOUGH LEGALLY THE REFERENDUM WAS NON-BINDING

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Labour have now got double the number of standard answers to any question regarding Brexit.

They used to have one, now they have two.

Either, we are not ruling it out, or, we are not taking it off the table.

Will they ever become a credible opposition.

That is what the Opposition (of any party) have always done. Not their fault-we as an electorate vote against things rather than for them, so Opposition do nothing but s lag off everything the Government does...
    They don't seem clear that if the deal is voted down in Parliament, it automatically becomes no deal, and the disaster that brings.

British parliament will get vote on final Brexit deal

Jones said the final vote would be “either to accept the deal that the government has achieved …or no deal.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/british-parliament-will-get-vote-on-final-brexit-deal-theresa-may/
    Our post Brexit immigration plan is to attract the brightest and the best, so we can have much cleverer people picking fruit.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,519

That is what the Opposition (of any party) have always done. Not their fault-we as an electorate vote against things rather than for them, so Opposition do nothing but s lag off everything the Government does...

They don't seem clear that if the deal is voted down in Parliament, it automatically becomes no deal, and the disaster that brings.

Jones said the final vote would be “either to accept the deal that the government has achieved …or no deal.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/british-parliament-will-get-vote-on-final-brexit-deal-theresa-may/

"No deal" will ensure that Corbyn is our next PM. It is a ridiculous state of affairs for our Government to say that everyone must play their way or it's no deal. This isn't a game of football in the park, and it's not their ball.

In reality, big business will be banging heads together PDQ (us and EU) while stupid politicians try and outstare one another, while the Tory party will implode.

Meanwhile, it amuses me that latest proposals appear to include removing any cap on immigration...
    Essexphil said:

"No deal" will ensure that Corbyn is our next PM. It is a ridiculous state of affairs for our Government to say that everyone must play their way or it's no deal. This isn't a game of football in the park, and it's not their ball.

In reality, big business will be banging heads together PDQ (us and EU) while stupid politicians try and outstare one another, while the Tory party will implode.

Meanwhile, it amuses me that latest proposals appear to include removing any cap on immigration...

On the last point, I think they are trying to increased skilled migration, and reduce unskilled. So they would prefer Indian doctors to be picking our fruit.

On Brexit I am not so sure.

The last thing the Tories want is an election. There are a lot of brave politicians out there at the moment, but it will be interesting how many stick to their guns. Lots of them are threatening to vote against any deal that we get.

However, if the deal is voted down by Parliament, we get no deal which will be a disaster for the country. Everybody except Jacob Rees- Mogg and his lot seem to agree on that. But when it comes down to it how many Tories will actually vote against the Government. How many Labour rebels will vote with them. Its all very well to threaten, but how many will, when there is so much at stake. Any Tories voting against, will end their careers. If Labour were seen to be to blame, how badly would it affect their election chances.

Assuming Theresa May comes back with a deal, she could probably avoid the blame for it being voted down.

The voting down of the deal will not necessarily lead to an election. I don't think Theresa May has any plans to stand down, but I think the Tories will replace her, rather than have an election.

Neither Theresa May standing down, being replaced, or a General Election, are likely to solve the problem. That just means a new Prime Minister starting negotiations from scratch with so little time left.

The most urgent problem is that the EU have said that if we cant sort out the Irish Border next month, there wont be any negotiations for a trade deal. Hence her hints at a border in the Irish Sea the other day, this was previously an uncrossable red line.

Reality Check: What is Labour's Brexit plan?

Labour has now published a report, which says all six of the tests are "on course to be failed".
    "Let me be very clear - right here, right now," Sir Keir told the BBC. "If Theresa May brings back a deal that fails our tests - and that looks increasingly likely - Labour will vote against it. No ifs, no buts."

Well there's only really one way to achieve the "exact same benefits" and that's staying in the single market and the customs union, which is not official Labour policy. Labour says it wants to stay in "a" customs union, and stay as close to the single market as possible.
    That is not the same as membership, so you can argue that even current Labour policy would fail its own test.

Sir Keir confirmed that Labour wanted a general election if the government was defeated in a "meaningful vote" on Brexit, although Jeremy Corbyn later said he would also try to send the government back to Brussels to negotiate again.
    In other words, very little in Labour's Brexit strategy appears to be set in stone.
    The trouble with the idea of calling for another election is that it's not in Labour's gift. If Prime Minister Theresa May decided to call for an election, under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act two-thirds of MPs would have to vote in favour (or go through a no-confidence procedure).
    And even if a snap election were to take place, it's not clear what would be in a Labour manifesto. Would it include explicit support for another referendum? Would it openly support staying in the single market, even on an interim basis?
    What we do know is that under the terms of the EU Withdrawal Act, the government would have 21 days to tell Parliament what it intended to do next if MPs rejected a Brexit deal in a "meaningful vote". Debates would have to take place in the House of Commons and the House of Lords within seven days.
    But what would be debated?
    These are obviously uncharted waters, and it may be up to the Speaker to decide whether any motions to be considered in parliament at that time could be amended, to allow, for example, for MPs to call for another referendum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45640548
    Brexit customs delays of 30 minutes could bankrupt one in 10 UK firms, survey suggests

One in 10 UK businesses say customs delays of just 10 minutes to half an hour are likely to push them into bankruptcy, according to a survey.
    The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (Cips) polled 1,310 UK and EU-based supply chain managers – the professionals responsible for navigating customs and negotiating with suppliers

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/brexit-customs-delays-30-minutes-123052312.html
    Anthony Hilton: Brexit decline threatens the City’s talent for survival

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/anthony-hilton-brexit-decline-threatens-114300497.html
    630 finance jobs relocated since Brexit vote, survey finds

Around 630 finance jobs have been relocated out of Britain since the Brexit vote - significantly lower than banks warned - according to a survey.
    The companies said they were hoping for a last-minute political deal that would save access to the EU's £14.9tn-a-year economy.
    But in the run up to Brexit day, banks cautioned that under a "hard" divorce settlement around 5,800 would move out of the UK.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/630-finance-jobs-relocated-since-190600609.html
    UK appoints food supplies minister amid fears of no-deal Brexit

The government has appointed a minister to oversee the protection of food supplies through the Brexit process amid rising concerns about the effect of a no-deal departure from the European Union.

One food industry business leader said: “The issue at the ports is a big threat. The UK always has been a net importer of food. If the ports don’t work then exporters will be struggling and importers will have a challenge too.”
    The executive said that while some food manufacturers were already setting aside additional supplies, stockpiling was not possible for products with a short shelf life, such as milk or vegetables

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-appoints-food-supplies-minister-170656126.html

U.S. business asks British PM May: how bad can Brexit get?7

NEW YORK, Sept 26 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May was reminded of how worried businesses are about Brexit on Wednesday when a rallying speech to executives in New York was met with a single stark question from the floor - just how bad can things get

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/u-business-asks-british-pm-150723896.html
    Conservative MEP under fire for displaying ‘ignore the Irish’ poster amid Brexit tension

A prominent Brexit-supporting politician has come under fire for displaying a poster that says “ignore the Irish” in his office.
    The placard was spotted propped up against a window in a European parliament office that belongs to Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/conservative-mep-fire-displaying-ignore-irish-poster-amid-brexit-tension-105417446.html
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,400
    Wow-a sensible debate with lots of interesting, relevant and up to date contributions..my how the tone and intelligence of the thread has changed....( for the better I might add)
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,264

As a minor aside, I went to Brussels yesterday via the excellent & seamless Eurostar. Get on in London, ride though England & France, arrive in Belgium (in fact, could continue on to Amsterdam in Holland) without being troubled by Customs posts. All very civilised & convenient.

Presumably, in the event of "No Deal", all that would change & we'd have to go through Customs at each border?
    No-deal Brexit to cost food and drink retailers £9.3bn, with most to be passed on to customers

The food and drink industry will take a £9.3bn hit from a no-deal Brexit, with much of the additional cost being passed on to consumers, a study suggests.
    Barclays calculates that retailers will face a massive 27 per cent tariff on average for food and drink products imported from the EU, making it one of the worst-affected sectors. Tariffs for non-food products are in line for an average rise of between 3 and 4 per cent.
    Every consignment of goods from the EU will also require a customs declaration which costs a minimum of £50.
    The UK imported £48bn of food and drink last year, about 40 per cent of the total amount sold.
    Fully processed food and drink products, such as orange juice, will be hit with the highest tariff rate of 31 per cent compared to 29.5 per cent for semi-processed food and drink such as white sugar. Unprocessed goods will face a 9.7 per cent tariff.
    Some products will also attract “specific duties” which are levied by weight or volume. These charges place a higher burden on lower-value transactions and will disproportionately add to the cost of products like meat, cereal, olive oil and wine, Barclays said.
    Frozen beef has a specific duty of three times the cost of the product itself while beef cuts face a 101 per cent tariff. Cream and garlic both attract high specific duties of 81 per cent and 71 per cent respectively.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/no-deal-brexit-cost-food-172050485.html
    madprof said:

Wow-a sensible debate with lots of interesting, relevant and up to date contributions..my how the tone and intelligence of the thread has changed....( for the better I might add)

Tell Jac.
    Tikay10 said:

As a minor aside, I went to Brussels yesterday via the excellent & seamless Eurostar. Get on in London, ride though England & France, arrive in Belgium (in fact, could continue on to Amsterdam in Holland) without being troubled by Customs posts. All very civilised & convenient.

Presumably, in the event of "No Deal", all that would change & we'd have to go through Customs at each border?

So many disadvantages, and it is a struggle to find any advantages.