You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,038
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Not going to name him, as "the mad plumber guy" might be the sort of person who loves going to Court.

He has been spending a great deal of time in Employment Tribunals lately, because he seems to have a problem abiding by various employment legislation introduced by Europe....

Good point. They used to be interviewing the pair of them almost on a daily basis.
    Also I thought poker players on the Sky Poker Forum, had similar immunity to those enjoyed by MPs in the Houses of Parliament.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,268
    I've never touched a Blow-Up doll in my life Rodders..... have never needed to tbh. I'm going to have to trail thru' the thread to find what it relates to. Can you narrow it down and give me a page no. please :s

Tim Martin was on BBC Breakfast just a couple of weeks ago, probably before you got up
    'Retired Tony'...... and having visited 3 different Brighton Wetherspoons last week, I can assure you they have nothing to worry about, unless of course you prefer empty Pubs with no atmosphere where they charge you an 'arm and a leg' for exactly what you're getting elsewhere..... much like the similarly successful Supermarkets ALDI and LIDL. Mind you there was definitely no German Shepherds in any of these establishments :D

Bargain Lovin Brit's are the mainstay of all Wetherspoons pubs, including quite a few 'Old Yoghurts' spending their pensions.

As for the reasons behind more food banks and people being potless and hungry, and austerity, this has been going on for the last 10 years, ever since the financial crash caused by the World's Banks and their greed. It's amazing how many of these 'Potless and Hungry' people own i-phones, 55"TVs and smoke :)

......just saying B):)

With regards to the border issue, why do immigrants 'living' in France, want to risk their lives jumping into moving lorries just to try and get to the UK? Why don't they just stay in France?
    MISTY4ME said:

With regards to the border issue, why do immigrants 'living' in France, want to risk their lives jumping into moving lorries just to try and get to the UK? Why don't they just stay in France?

Are you a Tommy Robinson fan? A UKIP member?
    The people you refer to "live" in France, to the extent that they may have a sleeping bag, and sleep in the undergrowth. They will be trying to get to the UK, to better their lives, or may have family here.

If this winds you up, do not expect it to end any time soon. They will not just give up after we Brexit.
    MISTY4ME said:

I've never touched a Blow-Up doll in my life Rodders..... have never needed to tbh. I'm going to have to trail thru' the thread to find what it relates to. Can you narrow it down and give me a page no. please :s

Tim Martin was on BBC Breakfast just a couple of weeks ago, probably before you got up
    'Retired Tony'...... and having visited 3 different Brighton Wetherspoons last week, I can assure you they have nothing to worry about, unless of course you prefer empty Pubs with no atmosphere where they charge you an 'arm and a leg' for exactly what you're getting elsewhere..... much like the similarly successful Supermarkets ALDI and LIDL. Mind you there was definitely no German Shepherds in any of these establishments :D

Bargain Lovin Brit's are the mainstay of all Wetherspoons pubs, including quite a few 'Old Yoghurts' spending their pensions.

As for the reasons behind more food banks and people being potless and hungry, and austerity, this has been going on for the last 10 years, ever since the financial crash caused by the World's Banks and their greed. It's amazing how many of these 'Potless and Hungry' people own i-phones, 55"TVs and smoke :)

......just saying B):)

Strange post.

Firstly, many experts have found evidence via polling, that a large number of leave voters did so as a protest.

Both the major political parties acknowledge that many people have been left behind.

Many people are worse off financially than they were 10 years ago, because of austerity measures, and the Public Sector pay freeze. Whether they possess iphones or not.

The growth of food banks is undeniable, and I believe that they "means test" potential customers, although I am not sure if the size of their tv comes into it. A massive scandal in this respect, is that they are used by many nurses. This is something we should be ashamed of.

Pay day loan companies became the last resort for the people that the average bank wouldn't entertain. The least well off in our society. The people that could least afford to be borrowing money. Yet when Wonga started they were offering loans with APRs in excess of 5000%. Even if they smoked.

When the pound falls it affects our imports in an adverse way. We import many foods. These items become more expensive. Even the poorest in our society need food. If our economy suffers as a result of Brexit, the pound will fall further, and imports will become more expensive. No deal will be a disaster.

All the above are facts. I can understand why many feel "left behind", and even though voting for Brexit wont help them, I comprehend why they did it.

The ironic thing is that the very thing they voted for has been all consuming on the Government for the last 2 years.

Theresa May spoke about the burning injustices on the steps of Downing St after the election. Yet none have been dealt with because of Brexit.

So had there been no protest vote, we would be staying in, and the Government might have spent the last 2 years dealing with these burning injustices. Or at least have no excuse for not doing so.

Tim Martin is an idiot that has nothing to contribute to the Brexit debate.
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

The people you refer to "live" in France, to the extent that they may have a sleeping bag, and sleep in the undergrowth. They will be trying to get to the UK, to better their lives, or may have family here.

If this winds you up, do not expect it to end any time soon. They will not just give up after we Brexit.
    Neither of the above. I'm a floating voter and vote for the party who have the manifesto and policies that I most agree with at the time of the election. Liberal Democrats for last 2 or 3 elections. I also really liked Nick Clegg, and thought he always talked a lot of sense, (and as it happened he was MP for Hallam in Sheffield, the area I grew up and went to school). I thought he did well whilst in coalition with the Tories, and at least had some sort of influence on Government policy, which is something that the Lib. Dems. had never had before, and definitely haven't since and probably never will have. I noticed it was him debating for staying in Europe against Nigel Farage in the video you posted, rather than David Cameron. Sadly in the end it cost him his job and Political career (for now), but hopefully one day he will be back to lead the younger generation on the path they want to take.

I put "live" in inverted commas for the exact reason you pointed out, as all they do is exist, but why can't they better their lives in France, (or Germany, Belgium or other countries in Europe) where they are? Why do they all want to come to the UK? If they have family who live here legitimately, then if they go through the correct processes they should be able to come here eventually.
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,183
    edited October 2018
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Neither of the above. I'm a floating voter and vote for the party who have the manifesto and policies that I most agree with at the time of the election. Liberal Democrats for last 2 or 3 elections. I also really liked Nick Clegg, and thought he always talked a lot of sense, (and as it happened he was MP for Hallam in Sheffield, the area I grew up and went to school). I thought he did well whilst in coalition with the Tories, and at least had some sort of influence on Government policy, which is something that the Lib. Dems. had never had before, and definitely haven't since and probably never will have. I noticed it was him debating for staying in Europe against Nigel Farage in the video you posted, rather than David Cameron. Sadly in the end it cost him his job and Political career (for now), but hopefully one day he will be back to lead the younger generation on the path they want to take.

I put "live" in inverted commas for the exact reason you pointed out, as all they do is exist, but why can't they better their lives in France, (or Germany, Belgium or other countries in Europe) where they are? Why do they all want to come to the UK? If they have family who live here legitimately, then if they go through the correct processes they should be able to come here eventually.
    They don't Jez, Germany and France both take more than the UK (in total numbers and as a percentage relating to populaton), but obviously the cream teas in Cornwall are a huge pull ;-)
    edited October 2018
    MISTY4ME said:

I am not sure how many people understand the difference between, legal immigrants, illegal immigrants, freedom of movement, asylum seekers, and refugees.
    Many of the people on the French border are asylum seekers
    Many people in the UK don't want anyone coming in.
    Asylum seekers may be escaping persecution, or war zones, and were in danger. Many of them die, or witness friends and family dying on the journey.
    That's how desperate they are.

We cant organise any of it.
    I posted an asylum seekers thread, which pointed out how long this country took, just to come to a decision on them. Over 20 years in some cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/17/revealed-asylum-seekers-20-year-wait-for-home-office-ruling
    edited October 2018
    Sorry HENDRIK, (or Paul, or Jimmy.... I never know which one you prefer :) ) when I said all, I didn't mean all the Asylum seekers or immigrants (legel or illegal), I meant all the ones trying to jump on, or stow away on the lorries coming to this country. If France has accepted them in, surely that's a better life than they had, or they wouldn't be there in the first place. So why can't they accept that France has a similar economy and lifestyle to the UK, that is better than where they've come from, and make the best of that, until one day they can return home if they choose to.

Tim Martin may be an idiot in your opinion Tony, but if he has nothing to contribute, why does he keep being asked to be on TV? You have to listen to both sides of the argument. He's also a very successful "idiot" and has made more money than even you, and as I frequent his establishments, and enjoy contributing to his company's profits and therefore his wealth, I respect his opinion :)
    MISTY4ME said:

Sorry HENDRIK, (or Paul, or Jimmy.... I never know which one you prefer :) ) when I said all, I didn't mean all the Asylum seekers or immigrants (legel or illegal), I meant all the ones trying to jump on, or stow away on the lorries coming to this country. If France has accepted them in, surely that's a better life than they had, or they wouldn't be there in the first place. So why can't they accept that France has a similar economy and lifestyle to the UK, that is better than where they've come from, and make the best of that, until one day they can return home if they choose to.

Tim Martin may be an idiot in your opinion Tony, but if he has nothing to contribute, why does he keep being asked to be on TV? You have to listen to both sides of the argument. He's also a very successful "idiot" and has made more money than even you, and as I frequent his establishments, and enjoy contributing to his company's profits and therefore his wealth, I respect his opinion :)

I am not sure in which way you think that they have been accepted in France?
    That was my point about Tim Martin, nobody seems to be inviting him on to politics programmes any more.
    Please don't try to persuade me that everyone that is successful in business have opinions that should be respected.
    Donald Trump?
    Could you think of an innovative quote made by Tim Martin in regard to Brexit?
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

That was my point about Tim Martin, nobody seems to be inviting him on to politics programmes any more.
    Please don't try to persuade me that everyone that is successful in business have opinions that should be respected.
    Donald Trump?
    He did launch a very clever campaign to leave.

Indeed, Brexit has, at least in the short term, turned out badly for Martin personally, who saw Wetherspoons' share price crash from a high of £7.57 on the day of the vote to £6.68 four days later, leaving him £30 million worse off.
    a very poor return on the £224,000 he spent on campaigning to leave the EU.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Donald Trump?

Indeed, Brexit has, at least in the short term, turned out badly for Martin personally, who saw Wetherspoons' share price crash from a high of £7.57 on the day of the vote to £6.68 four days later, leaving him £30 million worse off.
    Peaks and Troughs...... share prices move up as well as down, and if his company is successful, as it appears to be, the shares will respond accordingly I'm sure.

The wife's looking forward to trying the Australian Sparkling wine instead of the Prosecco, and I already drink American Buds. and Mexican Sol's, and they're also going to be having many more British products I hear.

As Hendrik pointed out, the French and Germans take in more refugees/ immigrants etc. than us, whether they are accepted or not is up to the French and Germans, but at least whilst they are there, surely they can try and make a better life for themselves
    Here are a couple, of very memorable Tim Martin Quotes on Brexit.

. “Someone from the Financial Times said I was a great amateur philosopher, which is an insult – and also probably true.” He hoots with laughter. “And I think modern people think because they don’t go to church they’re more sophisticated and don’t have a religion. But I think what the EU became was a quasi-religion for that sector of society. And universities are the modern day seminaries.”

THIS BIT MAKES ME LAUGH.

But leavers will be disappointed by his response when I ask about his boycott. “Oh dear!” he laughs, burying his head in his hands. “I can see I’m in trouble here already! I haven’t got a boycott. Absolutely not. I was just attempting to show that if European companies do what Juncker says and try to get heavy with us, inevitably we’d go elsewhere.” I don’t know what “get heavy” means. “Well, no one does!” he hoots

Martin has said the UK doesn’t need to sign a trade deal with the EU, because his pubs don’t sign deals with suppliers. He can’t think running the country is like running a pub, can he? “What I was saying is that you can’t go into negotiations with the EU insisting upon a particular outcome. If you say your pre-condition is that we have to have free trade, then in order to get that you have to accept what comes with that.” I suggest that I’ll be the EU, and he can be the UK, and he can show me how he would approach the negotiations.
    “OK, I would say: Decca, I think free trade will suit both our territories better.” I’ll say: fine, but in that case you have to accept free movement of labour. “I’ll say: look, politically, we can’t.” But this is non-negotiable, I’ll say. “Then I think that we have to, er – well, it’s up to you then, Decca, what you want to do. We’d like to trade with you. You want to trade with us. So what basis would you like to trade on? That’s what I would say.”
    I’m not sure this would resolve the impasse. Martin is banking on the EU’s aversion to tariffs to overcome its impulse to impose terms that deter other members from leaving – and he may be right. But this is a businessman’s assumption; to EU leaders, their political project’s survival may turn out to matter more.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/04/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-interview
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    The owner of Weatherspoons is a d1ck.
    this one shows that he hasn't got a clue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFN4dH5ylqU
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,264
    edited October 2018
    "Could you think of an innovative quote made by Tim Martin in regard to Brexit?"

This fits your bill in every respect except "innovatoive"...... Or even truthful.

Tikay10 said:

This fits your bill in every respect except "innovatoive"...... Or even truthful.

I have seen a few of his interviews, where he has appeared as a Brexit expert.
    They have just made me wonder, how a man that is clearly so deluded, could have built such a successful business.
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Donald Trump?

Peaks and Troughs...... share prices move up as well as down, and if his company is successful, as it appears to be, the shares will respond accordingly I'm sure.

Yes, but very often in response to circumstances and events. There is no guarantee of that they will return to previous heights.

The wife's looking forward to trying the Australian Sparkling wine instead of the Prosecco, and I already drink American Buds. and Mexican Sol's, and they're also going to be having many more British products I hear.

To say this is pretty stupid. Is he really saying that he cant get access to Australian wine until we leave the EU?

If stocking more British products will benefit his business, he could have done it years ago.

As Hendrik pointed out, the French and Germans take in more refugees/ immigrants etc. than us, whether they are accepted or not is up to the French and Germans, but at least whilst they are there, surely they can try and make a better life for themselves

Others migrants continue to travel by boat from Libya to Italy, a longer and more hazardous journey.
    Some of the worse tragedies in 2015 included:
    Two boats carrying about 500 migrants sank after leaving Zuwara in Libya on 27 August
    The bodies of 71 people, believed to be Syrian migrants, were discovered in an abandoned lorry in Austria on 27 August
    A shipwreck off Italy's Lampedusa island killed about 800 people on 19 April
    At least 300 migrants are feared to have drowned after attempting to cross the Mediterranean in rough seas in early February
    Survivors often report violence and abuse by people traffickers, who charge thousands of dollars per person for their services. The chaos in Libya in particular has given traffickers freedom to exploit migrants and refugees desperate to reach Europe