You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Diary of a determined player

Comments

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Unless you have some super sick reads then JJ is a shove. I am not sure what your thought process is with calling and then shoving. Are we just putting them on AK?

With the AJo hand as HHY said we need to raise LOADS more if we want to thin the field or win the dead money. Generally, limpers want to see a cheap flop so we need to punish them for this. If we don't raise enough then once you get a call you start giving players great odds to call with their small pairs/suited connectors etc that they want to see a flop with. Once the hand goes to the flop with so many players we need to hit pretty hard to put a lot more money in.

With the AJ suited I think it depends on the board, this board hits the bb calling range a lot more than our opening range so I might check flop. Playing draws aggressively gives us two ways to win but we don't always need to play them this way.
  • Options
    peter27 said:

This game is so frustrating at times. I'm trying my best to improve, but it's hard to tell if I am or not due to having such a small sample size right now (78 games played). The sharkscope graph is showing a worrying trend though ..

I wouldn't try and see anything in a sample size of 78 games. When you make adjustments to your game and as hard as it is you should ignore results to some extent and try and play every hand to the best of your ability. You wont play every hand perfectly so learn from your mistakes. Look at the hands you win as well as the ones you lose. Sometimes you win a hand but you have made some fundamental errors but got lucky so it is important to recognise this. 1 or 2 results can effect a 78 games sample massively.

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    Agree with the latte king, fantastic post.
  • Options
    peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
    Thanks all for the insightful comments, really appreciate the feedback.

The best players are the ones making the aggressive actions, and it seems like you like to play on the passive side, as the caller. Remember being aggressive gives you two ways to win, you can bet them off the pot or just have the best hand. You don't want uncontrolled random aggression though, you need to learn when to be aggressive and it takes time to understand and master. If you are serious about getting better I recommend doing some research into the game. When I started out i found 'gripsed' video's on youtube which helped me become a winning player. Dan Harrington's books are also good for more beginner players. Some people find trying to improve in this way too much effort, or see it as sucking fun out of the game, and if your ones of those just play poker the way you want at stakes you can afford to play, it's something to do for personal enjoyment after all.

I took this advice on board, and much to my surprise, playing aggressively felt much more natural to me. In fact, it allowed me to get my first "big" result. 2nd out of 45 players in a £150 freezeout. Very happy with that. Only a sample size of one, but nevertheless - a nice confidence boost. I actually already have Dan Harrington's books, they're gathering dust! I'll dig them out.

What I consider the key hand of that tournament was this lay down. Thoughts? I had no real reads on the opponent, however this was unusual play. He hadn't been aggressive at all up to this point. The way it's played, I had him on AK, with the check on the flop for deception. I seem to be finding that it's quite common people at the low stakes don't seem to c-bet when they have hit an ace on the flop.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    day4eire76Small blind500.00500.0021817.50
    BunskiBig blind1000.001500.0019685.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • J
    Guilia510Fold
    peter27Raise2000.003500.0021245.00
    day4eire76Raise4500.008000.0017317.50
    BunskiFold
    peter27Call3000.0011000.0018245.00
    Flop
    • K
    • A
    day4eire76Check
    peter27Check
    Turn
    day4eire76Bet7000.0018000.0010317.50
    peter27Fold
    day4eire76Muck
    day4eire76Win11000.0021317.50
    day4eire76Return7000.000.0028317.50
  • Options
    Another hand from that tournament; I would be interested to know what range of hands you would put the player on down all streets.
    SmasholotSmall blind40.0040.001520.00
    bigchef718Big blind80.00120.003141.25
    Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q
    hector45Fold
    sinjamCall80.00200.002332.50
    BunskiFold
    peter27Raise320.00520.003882.50
    SmasholotFold
    bigchef718Call240.00760.002901.25
    sinjamFold
    Flop
    bigchef718Bet240.001000.002661.25
    peter27Call240.001240.003642.50
    Turn
    bigchef718Bet400.001640.002261.25
    peter27Call400.002040.003242.50
    River
    bigchef718Bet800.002840.001461.25
    peter27Call800.003640.002442.50
    bigchef718Show
    • K
    peter27Show
    • Q
    • Q
    peter27WinPair of Queens3640.006082.50
    I feel like my pre-flop play was good, but on the flop I think I made a mistake by just calling. Clearly I was worried about the straight (A4) and wanted to get to the river as cheaply as possible. What was the correct play on the flop?
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    The Ace Jack hand is a spot where in theory we should never be folding, we have called his raise to make the kind of hand we have and we have also checked the flop making it look like we don't have the ace ourselves. Ace Jack is also perhaps the strongest ace we have, if ace queen+ you move in with pre. However we also need to think about what hands he could take this line with as a bluff. The types of hands he is representing preflop that we beat, tens jacks and queens, would be consistent with a flop check but are very unlikely to bet like this on the turn, so we need to beat some very specific hands that he bluffed with preflop like QT, QJ, that didn't bet flop, which are unlikely. The only problem is he could potentially be betting Ace Ten and Ace Jack for value himself. Maybe he even believes a hand like KQ is good so bets big with it, it is difficult to know what other people are thinking, but a mistake people often make is assuming players play hands like they would. It is quite a tough spot. I would probably lean to calling down, make a note of what he had and maybe start making some tight folds against him in the future if he shows you the goods. I think our hand is slightly too good, even if it isn't a situation that we love. A lot of it depends on if he bets worse hands for value. If you think the player is aggressive enough you could also consider going all in preflop too, we have a very strong hand to be raising on the button.

The second hand is less interesting, and is just a simple raise get it in. People donk out with all sorts. He can easily have a 5 or pocket pair higher than 5s that he bets and goes with when you raise. People also like to slow play when they make strong hands like sets and straights which make them less likely, if he has you beat here then its your time to get knocked out. QQ is a little too vulnerable to not raise get it in with, but I would like to flat AA exactly as there are really no scary runouts for it, and we can keep all his random bluffs in.
  • Options

if ace queen+ you move in with pre.

Thanks for your post, it was very helpful. However, I am extremely surprised to hear you say that (above). There are situations where I would agree, but on the whole, that seems loose to me. AA, AK, KK yes, but AQ? Maybe if it's suited. Or, maybe I'm just too tight.
  • Options
    Over the last week or so I've made a few small changes to my game, but they seem to be making a significant difference. I feel like I'm playing well for the most part, albeit with a few silly mistakes.

Today was a very good day. I came 3rd out of 156 in the bronze £1,000 turbo bounty hunter, and I also won a £100 freezeout tournament.

After 122 games I am showing -£6.47. However, my "ability" rating on Sharkscope is up to 60, which is as high as it has ever been since the start of this diary. I'm not sure how accurate that is exactly, but it's at least showing progression.

What percentage of the time do the top players cash in MTT's exactly?

Anyways, this is a hand from Thursday's £1,500 UKOPS rewards freeroll. Did I make a mistake here, or is that just one of those times when a loss of chips can't be helped?
    SQILLASmall blind75.0075.004640.00
    apoptosis8Big blind150.00225.008490.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    The_LairdFold
    TopMan12Fold
    peter27Raise330.00555.001495.00
    denty765Fold
    SQILLAFold
    apoptosis8Call180.00735.008310.00
    Flop
    • J
    apoptosis8Check
    peter27Bet400.001135.001095.00
    apoptosis8All-in8310.009445.000.00
    peter27Fold
    apoptosis8Muck
    apoptosis8Win1535.001535.00
    apoptosis8Return7910.000.009445.00
    Meanwhile, I had the privilege of being on the table with this guy earlier today. Based on the things he was saying in chat, he's a considerably better player than everyone else and he's not afraid to let everyone know that. His advice was effectively that some of us are so bad there's no point in us playing at all. Funny how he only seemed to moan after he got beaten in a hand, but I'm sure he knows best. What a delightful character.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    peter27 said:

Thanks for your post, it was very helpful. However, I am extremely surprised to hear you say that (above). There are situations where I would agree, but on the whole, that seems loose to me. AA, AK, KK yes, but AQ? Maybe if it's suited. Or, maybe I'm just too tight.
    I don't think there is a 'maybe' about it!

That's 2 examples now (JJ and an in theory AQ) where it would be absolutely standard to move all in pre but for some reason you think it to be ''too loose''. Yet in other hands, you stack off when it is rather obvious you are beat (The AJ on the KKx board example). So backwards :)

I also really wouldn't pay too much attention to your scope ability, or to your profit/loss over such a small sample of 122 games. I'd just concentrate on making the best in game decisions with the information available.

Before you say I'm too loose, AT is an easy jam above.

• Options

peter27 said:

I don't think there is a 'maybe' about it!

That's 2 examples now (JJ and an in theory AQ) where it would be absolutely standard to move all in pre but for some reason you think it to be ''too loose''. Yet in other hands, you stack off when it is rather obvious you are beat (The AJ on the KKx board example). So backwards :)

I also really wouldn't pay too much attention to your scope ability, or to your profit/loss over such a small sample of 122 games. I'd just concentrate on making the best in game decisions with the information available.

Before you say I'm too loose, AT is an easy jam above.

I can see the argument for AT above being an easy jam because of my stack size at the time. But, let's say that I had an average stack. That wouldn't then be a spot to jam, right? Just trying to get my head around the thought process.

I am focussing on making the correct decisions of course, but it's hard not to look at sharkscope too. The problem with this game is that there is no feedback loop. I'm achieving good results in MTT's over the last couple of days, and while I feel like I am playing well for the most part, there's still some doubt in my mind about whether or not I'm just getting lucky. It's difficult to pinpoint just how well I'm doing.

Nevertheless, it is going very well tonight. I finished 7th in a bronze £500 freezeout, and just won a £150 turbo freezeout. For those wondering, 90% of the time I'm one tabling only. I did try two tabling briefly, but I struggled to keep up with the play. That'll come with more experience though I imagine.
  • Options
    I wouldn't focus very much on average stack. With our stack there it is a shove pretty much all the time.
  • Options
    GREGSTERGREGSTER Member Posts: 383
    Hey Peter. Just had a read through this, very good read and nice to see your results improving and you're taking the good advice you are getting from the better players on board.

For the AT hand, as a rule of thumb with 10 big blinds we don't want to be messing about with min raises, keep it simple and shove or fold, you could try and be sneaky with AA though ;). Might be worth taking a look at an app called 'SnapShove' that showes different ranges for shoving / folding with different table positions and stack sizes.

With regards to cashing I would expect a good player to be cashing 1 in 5 at a guess, although you want to be aiming for the top 3 as that is where the big money is. Min-cashing 1 in 5 isn't a lot of good.

Cheers
    Greg.
  • Options
    GREGSTER said:

Hey Peter. Just had a read through this, very good read and nice to see your results improving and you're taking the good advice you are getting from the better players on board.

For the AT hand, as a rule of thumb with 10 big blinds we don't want to be messing about with min raises, keep it simple and shove or fold, you could try and be sneaky with AA though ;). Might be worth taking a look at an app called 'SnapShove' that showes different ranges for shoving / folding with different table positions and stack sizes.

With regards to cashing I would expect a good player to be cashing 1 in 5 at a guess, although you want to be aiming for the top 3 as that is where the big money is. Min-cashing 1 in 5 isn't a lot of good.

Cheers
    Greg.

I'll check SnapShove out, cheers.

I actually took last week "off" from poker due to work. Came back yesterday/today and really struggling to get my head back in the game. Playing dreadfully right now. Will keep trying.
  • Options
    So I mentioned that my play was fairly poor this weekend, it also started quite badly today too. However, I managed to focus towards the end of tonight and finished 3rd out of 66 in a Bronze £500 Freezeout for £60. It does concern me that I apparently have no consistency whatsoever though ..

It's my target this week to be in the top ten on the bronze leaderboard, but let's see how that plays out. I'll be missing tomorrow's tournaments also which makes things a bit more challenging.

An interesting dynamic is arising between myself and one of the forum regulars. The person in question (I'm sure they'll read this) was continually 2x'ing me from the SB when I was BB. What are you supposed to do in this situation?

Okay, the two options are to either tighten up, or re-raise a few times so they back off, right? The problem is that this was happening constantly through the middle-to-late stages of the tournament. If I tighten up and simply fold, the player will continue to raise me, which is significant when the BB is 1k and you've only got 20BB's. However, if I re-raise a few times (which is what I ended up doing, reluctantly - and he did back off) and he actually has a hand .. then you're stack gets heavily depleted.

Advice in this situation please?
  • Options
    My results aren't showing it at the moment, but hands like this make me realise that I am getting better at this game.
    peter27Small blind300.00300.0013546.00
    skypokerfuBig blind600.00900.0011370.00
    Your hole cards
    splashiesFold
    terrytwomoreCall600.001500.009360.00
    sprazzerFold
    kgeeFold
    peter27Call300.001800.0013246.00
    skypokerfuCheck
    Flop
    • K
    peter27Check
    skypokerfuCheck
    terrytwomoreBet1200.003000.008160.00
    peter27Call1200.004200.0012046.00
    skypokerfuCall1200.005400.0010170.00
    Turn
    peter27Check
    skypokerfuCheck
    terrytwomoreCheck
    River
    peter27Check
    skypokerfuBet2600.008000.007570.00
    terrytwomoreAll-in8160.0016160.000.00
    peter27Fold
    skypokerfuCall5560.0021720.002010.00
    skypokerfuShow
    terrytwomoreShow
    • Q
    • J
    terrytwomoreWinFlush to the King21720.0021720.00
    There's no way I would have gotten off that a few months ago.
  • Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 903
    edited October 2018
    I'm no expert (as others will agree!) but surely you have to re-raise the flop and/or put a big bet in on the turn? You've let them both hit their flushes (and one of them hit their straight) without too much effort when a big bet could have at least gave them a decision to make if not made them fold before the turn/river; as played you can't do anything other than fold the river; the spade on the river saved you going bust, any non-spade which didn't give you a full house would almost certainly have finished you.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129
    Type your comment

I'm no expert (as others will agree!) but surely you have to re-raise the flop and/or put a big bet in on the turn? You've let them both hit their flushes (and one of them hit their straight) without too much effort when a big bet could have at least gave them a decision to make if not made them fold before the turn/river; as played you can't do anything other than fold the river; the spade on the river saved you going bust, any non-spade which didn't give you a full house would almost certainly have finished you.

I'm no expert either, but even if we won that coup, we only win the minimum, & have not got value for flopping such a huge hand.

Still, prob best to see what the experts say.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Wouldn't put myself in the 'expert' category but we definitely want to re-raise the flop IMO. Firstly it's a pretty dynamic board and whilst we have a really strong hand right now, we want to protect our equity against all of the possible straights and flushes on future streets and not give our opponents a cheap card. Secondly, if the guy raising has a King, a scary card is going to kill our action.

Finally, when you come up against good players you need to have some balance to what you're doing otherwise you become really easy to play against and you'll get run over in the long term.

So on this board, simply put, if we decide to check/raise there aren't too many combinations of value hands we can have (KK and AK we're probably going to raise preflop). If we then decide we're not going to check/raise 33 here, when we actually do decide to check/raise, our range is going to be weighted HUGELY towards bluffs (all of the straight draws and flush draws) rather than made value hands. This means our opponents can make more profitable decisions when playing against us in these kind of spots. Remember we want to be tough to play against, not face-up.

Oh, and if we get it in on the flop against a flush draw that's a great result for us long term - don't worry about the actual outcome of the hand :)

Sorry, tried to simplify it, probably not very well :D

Glgl!