You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Diary of a determined player

Comments

• peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
    Poker's such a horrible game when you're losing.

Been on a downward spiral the last few days. I don't feel like I'm playing too much differently to previously, so I believe this is my first real spell of variance since I started this diary.

For some reason, over the last two days, the number of £55 turbo DYM tournaments has been considerably less. I'm not sure why people have stopped registering. This has really hurt my profitability.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,816
    Type your comment
    peter27 said:

Been on a downward spiral the last few days. I don't feel like I'm playing too much differently to previously, so I believe this is my first real spell of variance since I started this diary.

For some reason, over the last two days, the number of £55 turbo DYM tournaments has been considerably less. I'm not sure why people have stopped registering. This has really hurt my profitability.

Hi Peter @peter27,

It might be as many of the DYM players have moved their play to Streak Week, which does not include £55ers.
    Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

peter27 said:

Hi Peter @peter27,

It might be as many of the DYM players have moved their play to Streak Week, which does not include £55ers.
    I had thought that, but I'm playing the £11 tournaments too now and the names I'm coming across are NOT the ones I usually see at the £55 level.

Out of interest, why has Sky limited that promotion to £11? I'm struggling to see how that makes business sense. Personally, I'm spending a lot less money this week due to the promotion compared to normal.
    peter27 said:

Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

peter27 said:

Hi Peter @peter27,

I had thought that, but I'm playing the £11 tournaments too now and the names I'm coming across are NOT the ones I usually see at the £55 level.

Out of interest, why has Sky limited that promotion to £11? I'm struggling to see how that makes business sense. Personally, I'm spending a lot less money this week due to the promotion compared to normal.
    I suspect it is limited to a maximum of £11 games as liquidity is too thin at the higher stakes, so the league table would be too shallow.

Still, it's a measure of your progress that "lack of £55 games is hurting my profitability". You could not have dreamed of that a few months back.
    Tikay10 said:

peter27 said:

Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

peter27 said:

Hi Peter @peter27,

I suspect it is limited to a maximum of £11 games as liquidity is too thin at the higher stakes, so the league table would be too shallow.

Still, it's a measure of your progress that "lack of £55 games is hurting my profitability". You could not have dreamed of that a few months back.
    Alright, valid point.

Yep, true. All-in-all, it's going well, despite some shaky recent form.
    Played another 6-Max Freezeout at DTD in Nottingham on Wednesday (my 4th, I think). Felt confident the whole way through, despite a guy openly criticising my play numerous times, and also stating that my "table talk was really bad" (he was probably right).

Still made some bad errors, mainly due to pressure, but I do feel like I am making big strides every time I play now.

62 entered, and I had an average stack with 30 players remaining. My stack size was 175k, and the BB was 10k. Stack of 100k shoves on me from the CO pre-flop. I call with AA, he had 44. 4 hits on the river. That's how I lost a big portion of my stack, but it happens. Definitely the right call, despite the result.
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    peter27 said:

Played another 6-Max Freezeout at DTD in Nottingham on Wednesday (my 4th, I think). Felt confident the whole way through, despite a guy openly criticising my play numerous times, and also stating that my "table talk was really bad" (he was probably right).

Still made some bad errors, mainly due to pressure, but I do feel like I am making big strides every time I play now.

62 entered, and I had an average stack with 30 players remaining. My stack size was 175k, and the BB was 10k. Stack of 100k shoves on me from the CO pre-flop. I call with AA, he had 44. 4 hits on the river. That's how I lost a big portion of my stack, but it happens. Definitely the right call, despite the result.

Yeah, I think it’s safe to say that your pre flop call with Aces was ok 😉

What was your table talk?
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I did find the call of aces pre analysis funny!

I would be interested to know what the table talk was. Just a personal view but I wouldn't be getting too involved in poker related table chat while you aren't that experienced with live poker as I think you can be giving away too much information and I think there is a tendency for players to overestimate their ability at table chat.

Obviously this depends on personalities but in terms of non poker chat I would be getting involved lots as it makes the game more social and fun.
    I don't really remember the specifics of the table talk. I seem to remember making a big raise on the river and giving the opponent a decision to make - at which point he started talking to me - and of course I was responding.

Point taken about reducing poker-related table talk and increasing non-poker chatter. That does seem like a good strategy at this stage in my development.
  • DozzaDozza Member Posts: 286
    peter27 said:

They continue to be considerably less now that the promo has finished - this is because of the high rake (see topic in main forum). A fiver in rake for a game that lasts 12 mins on average doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,133
    peter27 said:

I don't really remember the specifics of the table talk. I seem to remember making a big raise on the river and giving the opponent a decision to make - at which point he started talking to me - and of course I was responding.

Point taken about reducing poker-related table talk and increasing non-poker chatter. That does seem like a good strategy at this stage in my development.

Hi,

Now Im not the best qualified to give advice but I do enjoy table talk. However when it comes to talk during a hand I adopt only 1 of 2 responses.

If Im all in and the opponent starts yammering away I either have a 1000 yard stare into the centre of the table making sure that I cant see him in my peripheral vision or If hes staring at me and gabbing I just stare straight back usually at a spot about 3 inches above his head.

Now if Ive put a big bet or raise in and the opponent starts with the "do you want a call?" speech its either again 1000 yard stare but riffling my chips because Im always doing that and to not may be a tell. Or I say "No I want you to repop it, forcing me to shove. You cant fold for what you have left and I get the double up. Thank you."

Generally I never instigate talk ala Will Kassouf as I feel you can give away more information than you receive.

Ill talk to tilt ppl in a live game and give a rubdown where its merited but understand theres a line between irritating and insulting.

Keep up the diary

Mark
    Dozza said:

peter27 said:

They continue to be considerably less now that the promo has finished - this is because of the high rake (see topic in main forum). A fiver in rake for a game that lasts 12 mins on average doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
    You're right, they haven't picked up, and I can't argue with people's logic for not playing them. If this carries on, I will have to start playing on other sites :neutral:

peter27 said:

Hi,

Now Im not the best qualified to give advice but I do enjoy table talk. However when it comes to talk during a hand I adopt only 1 of 2 responses.

If Im all in and the opponent starts yammering away I either have a 1000 yard stare into the centre of the table making sure that I cant see him in my peripheral vision or If hes staring at me and gabbing I just stare straight back usually at a spot about 3 inches above his head.

Now if Ive put a big bet or raise in and the opponent starts with the "do you want a call?" speech its either again 1000 yard stare but riffling my chips because Im always doing that and to not may be a tell. Or I say "No I want you to repop it, forcing me to shove. You cant fold for what you have left and I get the double up. Thank you."

Generally I never instigate talk ala Will Kassouf as I feel you can give away more information than you receive.

Ill talk to tilt ppl in a live game and give a rubdown where its merited but understand theres a line between irritating and insulting.

Keep up the diary

Mark
    So in essence what you're saying is to have a "table talk" procedure and stick to it, which does make sense. I'll take that advice on board, thanks!
  • jakallyjakally Member Posts: 421

Mark

I'm not a big fan of this.
    I know one of our aims is to win money, but the joy of playing live is enhanced by a jovial atmosphere whilst you are playing. I wouldn't consciously try to do anything to dampen that.

My opinion is there are very few players who can talk during a hand, & not give away information (but lots of people who think they can).
    If I'm in a pot, especially against competent players, I talk the absolute minimum.
    Lots of time to talk when you are not playing a hand when you are a nit.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985
    peter27 said:

peter27 said:

Hi,

Keep up the diary

Mark
    So in essence what you're saying is to have a "table talk" procedure and stick to it, which does make sense. I'll take that advice on board, thanks!
    I tend to say nothing, and adopt the "stare into the distance" approach.
    The only thing I will sometimes answer is "do you want a call?" The only response I will give, is an apologetic grin, and saying "Now you've paused, yes".

Because it makes it sound like I have a hand that is strong, but beatable. Whereas I normally have the nuts or air :)
    Essexphil said:

peter27 said:

peter27 said:

Hi,

Keep up the diary

Mark
    I tend to say nothing, and adopt the "stare into the distance" approach.
    The only thing I will sometimes answer is "do you want a call?" The only response I will give, is an apologetic grin, and saying "Now you've paused, yes".

Because it makes it sound like I have a hand that is strong, but beatable. Whereas I normally have air :)

That's the mushy peas.
    I just had a weird hand in a £55 TDYM where I knew I was behind, but called a shove anyway on the basis that "if I lose the hand, I will only lose half my stack, and I'm good enough to win it back anyway".

Not the optimal play obviously, and I need to watch that, but, I am delighted with the level of confidence I have right now.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    peter27 said:

I just had a weird hand in a £55 TDYM where I knew I was behind, but called a shove anyway on the basis that "if I lose the hand, I will only lose half my stack, and I'm good enough to win it back anyway".

Not the optimal play obviously, and I need to watch that, but, I am delighted with the level of confidence I have right now.

That sounds like a terrible attitude to have for a DYM game, where chip preservation is absolutely key.

peter27 said:

That sounds like a terrible attitude to have for a DYM game, where chip preservation is absolutely key.

I completely agree, which is why I posted that on here to "check myself" a bit. But, on the plus side, I am loving the amount of confidence I have right now :)
    edited March 2019
    I just won the £1500 Quickdraw tournament to scoop £320 plus £227.23 in head prizes. I needed that as it had been a while since I cashed in an MTT, although admittedly I have not been playing them particularly regularly of late.

There was a funny moment during the final four where chicknMelt and devil_tear politely reminded me that I am not in a DYM after folding this hand:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    devil_tearSmall blind2000.002000.0019220.00
    chicknMeltBig blind4000.006000.0036180.50
    Your hole cards
    • A
    longjobFold
    peter27Raise8000.0014000.0036260.00
    devil_tearAll-in19220.0033220.000.00
    chicknMeltFold
    peter27Fold
    devil_tearMuck
    devil_tearWin20000.0020000.00
    devil_tearReturn13220.000.0033220.00
    Is that such an easy call? I mean, chicknMelt suggested I should be calling with any two - and given how good he is, I'm sure he's right. I'm not sure I understand why though. I would have to put 30% of my stack into the pot, with only A9s. I know that four-handed that's a pretty large starting hand, but would devil_tear be shoving anything worse than this after I had already raised? Maybe A2-A8 given that he only has approx. 10 BB's. Would he be shoving Kx+ though? I don't think most players would, despite the small stack.

Maybe I just need to look at it with fresh eyes later. Or, maybe I have been playing too many DYM's. :|

Below is the (very lucky) hand that won me the tournament.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    longjobSmall blind3000.003000.0058520.00
    peter27Big blind6000.009000.0092480.00
    Your hole cards
    • K
    longjobRaise9000.0018000.0049520.00
    peter27Call6000.0024000.0086480.00
    Flop
    peter27Check
    longjobCheck
    Turn
    • K
    peter27Bet12000.0036000.0074480.00
    longjobRaise24000.0060000.0025520.00
    peter27All-in74480.00134480.000.00
    longjobAll-in25520.00160000.000.00
    peter27Unmatched bet36960.00123040.0036960.00
    longjobShow
    peter27Show
    • K
    River
    • K
    peter27WinFull House, Kings and 10s123040.00160000.00
    Anyone have any idea why these hands are displaying in a different format? I don't see the suits for the second one. Perhaps it's just my browser though?