You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Diary of a determined player

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,171
    edited January 2019
    I am playing a lot of £55 turbo DYM's at the moment, due to the £40k winter battle promotion, and I am crushing them to be honest. I'm quickly realising that these turbo DYM's are, without doubt, where I'm strongest. Happy days.

Morning Peter (upper case P) @peter27 (lower case p)

You played 10 x £55 Turbo DYM's yesterday & won 9 of them. That's incred. I'd also suggest it is unsustainable, no player alive can win 90% of these over a meaningful sample, but clearly you are getting on top of the game now, well done.

As a matter of interest, do you use Sharkscope?
  • Options
    peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
    Tikay10 said:

I am playing a lot of £55 turbo DYM's at the moment, due to the £40k winter battle promotion, and I am crushing them to be honest. I'm quickly realising that these turbo DYM's are, without doubt, where I'm strongest. Happy days.

Morning Peter (upper case P) @peter27 (lower case p)

You played 10 x £55 Turbo DYM's yesterday & won 9 of them. That's incred. I'd also suggest it is unsustainable, no player alive can win 90% of these over a meaningful sample, but clearly you are getting on top of the game now, well done.

As a matter of interest, do you use Sharkscope?

Morning Teacakes,

Yep, I'm aware a 90% cash rate is unsustainable, but I do quite strongly believe that Turbo DYM's are my strongest form of poker.

I do look at sharkscope often, although I take it with a pinch of salt due to my small sample size right now. One thing I do enjoy looking at is their "rating" for each player. I don't know what the formula behind that is, but it's certainly nice to see it rise. Before I started this diary I was around the 55 mark, and I'm now showing at 70+. Clear progress :)
  • Options
    ^^^^^^

Currently:

SNG (DYM's) 76

Scheduled 59

All games 73

Excellent progress, keep it up.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

^^^^^^

Currently:

SNG (DYM's) 76

Scheduled 59

All games 73

Excellent progress, keep it up.

I didn't know you could see it by tournament type! How do you do that? :o
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    ^^^^^

I suspected as much.

Go to Sharkscope, enter your alias as usual, two boxes to the right you will see "All Games".

That's a drop down menu which, if clicked, shows, individually;

All games

Scheduled (which is MTT's)

SNG's
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Tikay10 said:

^^^^^

I suspected as much.

Go to Sharkscope, enter your alias as usual, two boxes to the right you will see "All Games".

That's a drop down menu which, if clicked, shows, individually;

All games

Scheduled (which is MTT's)

SNG's

That's very useful. Thanks :)
  • Options

YW Peter.
  • Options
    It's difficult to justify playing MTT's when you look at my stats.

I would like to post the graphs, but I can't seem to do that at the moment.

Scheduled tournaments: -£504 with an erratic trend after 234 games
    SNG's: +£1155 with an upward trend after 412 games

What's bizarre is that the SNG's are 95%+ turbo DYM's where variance is supposed to be at its highest ..
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Morning @peter27

"I would like to post the graphs, but I can't seem to do that at the moment".

That's probably due to this;

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/forums#/discussion/174479/uploading-images-photos-to-the-forum

Still, we won't be beaten, so I'll see if I can Upload them for you.
  • Options

peter27 Scheduled MTT's

• Options

peter27 SNG's

• Options

peter27 "All"

• Options
    Type your comment
    peter27 said:

What's bizarre is that the SNG's are 95%+ turbo DYM's where variance is supposed to be at its highest ..

I think that's a little too early to say, Peter.

I'm far from an expert in these matters, but I'm sure most good, experienced MTT players would suggest that 234 games is a meaningless sample. Until you get to at least 1,000, ideally more, you are not giving variance sufficient time to establish itself correctly.

It may of course turn out that SNG's really are your forte, but I think it is too early to say.

I'm pretty sure that whatever course you pursue, you'll end up a winner though, as you seen good at self-examination & taking on board good advice, which are rare traits in young men.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

peter27 said:

I think that's a little too early to say, Peter.

I'm far from an expert in these matters, but I'm sure most good, experienced MTT players would suggest that 234 games is a meaningless sample. Until you get to at least 1,000, ideally more, you are not giving variance sufficient time to establish itself correctly.

It may of course turn out that SNG's really are your forte, but I think it is too early to say.

I'm pretty sure that whatever course you pursue, you'll end up a winner though, as you seen good at self-examination & taking on board good advice, which are rare traits in young men.
    Thanks for posting those images for me.

You may well be right about the small sample size. In fact, I am certain you are. However, the trend of SNG's vs the lack of a trend on MTT's is still hard to ignore.

That's a lovely thing to say, thanks a lot. I really appreciate that :)
  • Options
    So I just played in the 6-Max Freezeout tournament at DTD in Nottingham for the second time in two weeks; and my third live tournament overall.

It went horrifically bad.

Completely card dead, players on the table were bullying me due to my clear lack of experience, and I made some really bad mistakes - some of which I don't even understand.

At one point I got to showdown, thought I won the hand with two pair, but my opponent was given the chips and I was too nervous to say anything. I'm sure he won fair and square, and I just missed something because I was panicking. I also tried to bet at one point pre-flop and the dealer said I didn't meet the minimum bet so it's a call instead - which confused me because I thought I bet over 2x the BB.

Very demoralising, and I'm beginning to realise that cashing in a live poker tournament is considerably further away than I had expected. It's going to take so many more games, and so much more money. :s
  • Options
    I've been quiet lately, but I still plugging away at the turbo DYM's, albeit at a slower rate than before. Other business interests have taken precedence at the moment.

I am planning to hit the tables hard this weekend though. The logic being that the top players will be busy at the SPT, making the online games easier, in theory.

Delighted to see the DYM streak week promotion is back, but disappointed that it only runs up to the £11 level.
  • Options
    I played in a couple of MTT's yesterday which were a bit of a disaster, but I know I wasn't playing particularly well. Will try to re-focus for today.

I just played a £2.20 DYM which is a much lower stake than I would usually play, but it is seemingly the only level with players at this time of day. I utterly dominated the table which made me very happy. No disrespect to anyone else at the table, but I found it exceptionally easy. I was raising all kinds of goofy hands pre-flop, and was able to almost play blind; just taking actions based on what everyone else was doing. Very encouraging stuff :)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Just played in the £15k Sunday Major tournament having qualified for £8.80. That's only the second time I have played in a major tournament and felt comfortable (the other one being my UKOPS win).

Started on a 10k stack, and dropped down to around 3.5k in the early stages. I did feel like my play was good though, and I was able to keep my head and work back up to 25k over the next few hours. Unfortunately, I ended up getting knocked out in 32nd place - with the top 25 getting paid. It's slightly gutting, but I had lots of fun and gained a bit of confidence from that showing.

Here's an interesting hand from the tournament I would like some thoughts on please:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    T0PC4TSmall blind50.0050.008630.00
    chris2305Big blind100.00150.0010310.00
    Your hole cards
    • K
    • K
    hazelwoo05Fold
    cpfc_2010Fold
    riken6398Fold
    peter27Raise250.00400.008280.00
    T0PC4TFold
    chris2305Call150.00550.0010160.00
    Flop
    chris2305Check
    peter27Bet350.00900.007930.00
    chris2305Call350.001250.009810.00
    Turn
    • Q
    chris2305Check
    peter27Bet500.001750.007430.00
    chris2305Call500.002250.009310.00
    River
    chris2305Bet1687.503937.507622.50
    peter27Call1687.505625.005742.50
    chris2305Show
    peter27Muck
    • K
    • K
    chris2305WinTwo Pairs, 4s and 3s5625.0013247.50
    On the turn, I was fairly certain I was ahead and bet a little lower than I usually would have done because I didn't want the opposition to fold. Unfortunately, that didn't work out.

What do you think of my call on the river? I was struggling to put my opponent on a hand that was beating me at that point. I certainly didn't put them on 43. The flush was possible, but why did they suddenly take the betting lead with an effective brick on the river? A2 perhaps? Seems unlikely, and seemed bluffy to me, hence the call.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,156
    peter27 said:

So I just played in the 6-Max Freezeout tournament at DTD in Nottingham for the second time in two weeks; and my third live tournament overall.

Completely card dead, players on the table were bullying me due to my clear lack of experience, and I made some really bad mistakes - some of which I don't even understand.

At one point I got to showdown, thought I won the hand with two pair, but my opponent was given the chips and I was too nervous to say anything. I'm sure he won fair and square, and I just missed something because I was panicking. I also tried to bet at one point pre-flop and the dealer said I didn't meet the minimum bet so it's a call instead - which confused me because I thought I bet over 2x the BB.

Very demoralising, and I'm beginning to realise that cashing in a live poker tournament is considerably further away than I had expected. It's going to take so many more games, and so much more money. :s

Hi.
    Ive been following the thread and enjoying it. Now Im awful at online play and usually see it as donating to have cheap fun. However I take my live play very seriously and am probably a break even player over 20 years or so.

If I may make a suggestion it would be to begin playing full ring tourneys to start with. I appreciate that online you certainly seem to have an edge in 6 max especially in turbo dym however, 6 max live isnt really a good format to "learn" live play.

The more relaxed, slightly slower pace of a full ring game will allow you to find the style and speed of play that suits your game whilst allowing you to get used to the live distractions such as table talk, staredowns, angle shoots, tanking, clock calling etc

Once youre comfortable with the live environment then by all means transition to the 6 max game although you may find that youre smashing the full ring games by then.

Anyway, good luck, keep up the rungood and keep posting.

Yours in poker

Mark

• Options
    edited February 2019
    So I played another 6-max at DTD in Nottingham today, and as I'm writing this at 21:21, you can probably guess how it went. Nevertheless, I'm delighted ..

I went there with a very different attitude today. Instead of putting so much pressure on myself to do well and analyse every single little action at the table, I decided to just relax, have fun, play a little goofy and see what happens.

Lost a few hands early on, including one unlucky spot where I hit two pair on a family-pot-flop, only for Q-Q to come on the turn and river, giving my opposition the same two pair as me, and he had the better kicker.

With my stack down to around 40k and the BB at 700, I decided to shove with Ad6h once the flop had come down with three diamonds. Opponent called with a made king high flush and held.

I didn't play optimally at all today, but I felt relaxed, I wasn't pressured into/out of any decisions, and I was even making small talk at the table. For someone who has suffered social anxiety in the past, that's a really big moment. Seriously happy, this feels like a step forward. :) Can't wait for the next live tournament now!

peter27 said:

Hi.
    Ive been following the thread and enjoying it. Now Im awful at online play and usually see it as donating to have cheap fun. However I take my live play very seriously and am probably a break even player over 20 years or so.

If I may make a suggestion it would be to begin playing full ring tourneys to start with. I appreciate that online you certainly seem to have an edge in 6 max especially in turbo dym however, 6 max live isnt really a good format to "learn" live play.

The more relaxed, slightly slower pace of a full ring game will allow you to find the style and speed of play that suits your game whilst allowing you to get used to the live distractions such as table talk, staredowns, angle shoots, tanking, clock calling etc

Once youre comfortable with the live environment then by all means transition to the 6 max game although you may find that youre smashing the full ring games by then.

Anyway, good luck, keep up the rungood and keep posting.

Yours in poker

Mark

I do see what you're saying, and I did consider that initially. However, I felt that moving to two new things at once (full ring and live play) would be too much. I very very rarely play anything than six-max online either - which is why Sky Poker is my preferred poker site. Also, playing a six-max is a faster format which means I get more hand experience.

I probably would have taken your advice and attempted a full ring live game had I not felt so comfortable today. Maybe I'll give one a shot in the next few weeks - it can't hurt! :p Thanks for the advice.