You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Taking our Jobs.

Comments

• tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751

I have just opened fb, and on my news feed is this...it’s so common nowadays., note the mention of the I word.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

Even if we accept ( im not prepared to ) , that immigration was the main reason for the leave vote ...then we still have a massive social problem . The fact that swathes of our neighbourhoods might view it like this ( rightly or wrongly ) , shows that our politicians should have taken steps to rectify the feeling of unrest , by being honest about figures or on the obverse side admitting there is a problem and outlining what they will do to resolve it .

I would struggle to see what steps politicians could take to rectify the feeling of unrest, tbh I think the problem needs solving within the family unit, and schools.

Unfortunately due to lack of funding in education,the schools may find it very difficult to tackle the issue.
    Families on the other hand, well, the children in most cases hear things from their parents from an early age ( not all of course) and blaming others for your problems seems to be the norm .

There is a deep rooted problem in society today , Austerity has caused the rise in anger, but the focus of the anger somehow has been skewed away from those in power.
    The problem lies entirely at the hands of politicians and the governments of the day .
    You feed society , the bare minimum in terms of actual fact instead of bareface lies( and conflicting information from different partys) , then you leave them to form their own opinions . You leave large sectors of society feeling that they aren't heard or ever listened to , then this is what happens , this is where we are today . It's all completely down to UK politics . if you blame lack of funding in schools , then ultimately you have to blame the governement for creating that .
    I agree lack of funding in schools has created problems., however you can’t blame politicians/government for the ignorance and bone idleness / bigotry of some people, and as far as “feeding society”, it has been mentioned here and the Brexit thread that social media plays a huge part in people’s lives, and anyone ( it seems) can post lies which people fall hook line and sinker for and pass them off as fact.

We have a society , that now relies on google for its facts and stories . ..Easy to quote a story from an article without backing it up , and equally easy to provide a story quoting the opposite without being able to back it up . Personally , I'd rather roll it all back 50 years . ...Had a lovely 10 mile moor walk today , no tech use , met several walkers en route , and had several short conversations about simple things . It was very peaceful and imo we could all do with benefitting from a more simpler life , which involved getting out and appreciating the countryside we live in more .
    edited February 2019
    tomgoodun said:

I have just opened fb, and on my news feed is this...it’s so common nowadays., note the mention of the I word.

Why would you use Facebook ? And it's propaganda , how is that any different to anyone on a poker forum , constantly putting out remain propaganda ?
    with respect , the only difference is the fact that you might agree with certain propaganda

tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

Even if we accept ( im not prepared to ) , that immigration was the main reason for the leave vote ...then we still have a massive social problem . The fact that swathes of our neighbourhoods might view it like this ( rightly or wrongly ) , shows that our politicians should have taken steps to rectify the feeling of unrest , by being honest about figures or on the obverse side admitting there is a problem and outlining what they will do to resolve it .

I would struggle to see what steps politicians could take to rectify the feeling of unrest, tbh I think the problem needs solving within the family unit, and schools.

Unfortunately due to lack of funding in education,the schools may find it very difficult to tackle the issue.
    Families on the other hand, well, the children in most cases hear things from their parents from an early age ( not all of course) and blaming others for your problems seems to be the norm .

There is a deep rooted problem in society today , Austerity has caused the rise in anger, but the focus of the anger somehow has been skewed away from those in power.
    The problem lies entirely at the hands of politicians and the governments of the day .
    You feed society , the bare minimum in terms of actual fact instead of bareface lies( and conflicting information from different partys) , then you leave them to form their own opinions . You leave large sectors of society feeling that they aren't heard or ever listened to , then this is what happens , this is where we are today . It's all completely down to UK politics . if you blame lack of funding in schools , then ultimately you have to blame the governement for creating that .
    I agree lack of funding in schools has created problems., however you can’t blame politicians/government for the ignorance and bone idleness / bigotry of some people, and as far as “feeding society”, it has been mentioned here and the Brexit thread that social media plays a huge part in people’s lives, and anyone ( it seems) can post lies which people fall hook line and sinker for and pass them off as fact.

We have a society , that now relies on google for its facts and stories . ..Easy to quote a story from an article without backing it up , and equally easy to provide a story quoting the opposite without being able to back it up . Personally , I'd rather roll it all back 50 years . ...Had a lovely 10 mile moor walk today , no tech use , met several walkers en route , and had several short conversations about simple things . It was very peaceful and imo we could all do with benefitting from a more simpler life , which involved getting out and appreciating the countryside we live in more .
    Sounds wonderful, glad you had a nice day.,
    Agree with the last bit too.
    How can we disagree so much yet have the same Opinion on these things 😊
    tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

Sounds wonderful, glad you had a nice day.,
    Agree with the last bit too.
    How can we disagree so much yet have the same Opinion on these things 😊
    Because politics is a whole different ball game :D .
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    Difference of opinion

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
    Never heard Haysie , once refer to a conversation he's had with someone outside the internet ...you know like a real person to person conversation . I appreciate that he probably won't have any friends whos conversations he could recall , but you would think he could find someone outside to annoy for a short while. :D Pick your extreme versions of the opposite stance straight off the media and internet and you have a ready to go argument ...obviously no substance to it , but lets not let facts get in the way of rabid remainer hyperbole . It's all very sad to be honest .

This is the point at which you started attacking me personally.

The title of the thread infers that some people in this country think that immigrants are taking their jobs. If this wasn't the case, then there would be no debate. Yet you seem to be disputing that this is the case.

Your reference to swastika tattoos would seem to indicate that you haven't watched many of the videos. The only videos that were completely irrelevant to this debate were posted by your mate.

You have disputed that immigration concerns played a big part in the referendum debate. I believe that the search page I posted proves conclusively that your opinion was incorrect.

You have written off the material I have posted as extremist. Yet the source of this material includes Channel 4 news, BBC3, Newsnight, Ross Kemp, and you attempted to support the views expressed by the contributors on one of the videos.
    Some of these videos go back to the early 70s, and those interviewed did not seem extreme. Don't forget this was a time when signs saying "No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs" were often displayed in the windows of Bed and Breakfast establishments.

I was interested to listen to what people had to say in a constituency that voted 70% in favour of leaving, as this was not the norm, and some of them did seem to have more extreme views. Although this might be expected in a constituency that voted so heavily in favour of leaving.

I was also interested in the perceptions of people that guessed that the percentage of immigrants living in their area was 90% when the true figure was 2%.

I will admit to moving the West Ham supporter into first position on the thread, as it was short and funny, and the video that I had originally posted there was an hour long. I felt that a shorter funny video may get more people interested in the thread. Although I don't believe that he was a representative sample of our population.

The Newsnight programme presented by Evan Williams, was produced in 2010, and was interesting in that they took people who had claimed that the immigrants were taking their jobs, and gave them a job trial. Their attitudes to the migrants that they then had to work with was an eye opener, as was the number that didn't turn up, and inability of those unable to do a fairly simple job.

I think that material showed that peoples views didn't seem to have changed much over the period that we have been members of the EU, whether we had Freedom of Movement or not.

The fact that there is so much information available, would point to the fact that this is a view that people have.

The Government should take legislation that protects all workers, including migrants, very seriously.

More employment, and less unemployment than ever before, would seem to indicate that these claims are incorrect. This is despite 3.5million EU migrants.

The fact that immigration played a part in the referendum is clear.
    You can find a poll to support your arguments if you look hard enough online ...here's one which says :
    Nearly half (49%) of leave voters said the biggest single reason for wanting to leave the EU was “the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK”. One third (33%) said the main reason was that leaving “offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders.” Just over one in eight (13%) said remaining would mean having no choice “about how the EU expanded its membership or its powers in the years ahead.” Only just over one in twenty (6%) said their main reason was that “when it comes to trade and the economy, the UK would benefit more from being outside the EU than from being part of it.”

And imo , the bolded part is the outweighing reason for leave voters thus .

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

You can find a poll to support your arguments if you look hard enough online ...here's one which says :
    Nearly half (49%) of leave voters said the biggest single reason for wanting to leave the EU was “the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK”. One third (33%) said the main reason was that leaving “offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders.” Just over one in eight (13%) said remaining would mean having no choice “about how the EU expanded its membership or its powers in the years ahead.” Only just over one in twenty (6%) said their main reason was that “when it comes to trade and the economy, the UK would benefit more from being outside the EU than from being part of it.”

I have never said that immigration was the biggest factor. I have maintained that we will probably never know the real truth of this.
    What I have said is that it was a factor.

The poll you are quoting above says that it was the main reason for 33%. This is the second most popular reason, and a very high percentage.

Many of these people will have been of the opinion that immigrants are taking their jobs.

I think that in many cases the immigration aspect is underestimated, through some peoples reluctance to admit their objection to immigration, particularly those that are just racist.

Before you jump on that, I don't believe that all those who would prefer immigration controls are racist, but some are.
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    HAYSIE said:

I have never said that immigration was the biggest factor. I have maintained that we will probably never know the real truth of this.

The poll you are quoting above says that it was the main reason for 33%. This is the second most popular reason, and a very high percentage.

Many of these people will have been of the opinion that immigrants are taking their jobs.

I think that in many cases the immigration aspect is underestimated, through some peoples reluctance to admit their objection to immigration, particularly those that are just racist.

Before you jump on that, I don't believe that all those who would prefer immigration controls are racist, but some are.
    Again you are just guessing, are you not in favour of controlled immigration, or should we have open borders?

HAYSIE said:

Again you are just guessing, are you not in favour of controlled immigration, or should we have open borders?
    Is controlled immigration part of the reason for voting leave?

Don’t we already have controlled immigration?
    edited February 2019
    tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

If we stay in the eu no, will post video.
    edited February 2019
    https://youtu.be/n_iJEDfK22c
    If we had a government like Hungary or Poland who refuse to take the eu quota of migrants.

tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

Ahhhh, so you agree immigration was a factor in voting to leave ?
    edited February 2019

lled immigration, or should we have open borders?

Controlled immigration was but was not the main factor in my opinion, even obama telling us we would be last in the queue was a factor for some voters.

tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

Controlled immigration .
    I’m sorry, I don’t understand.
    Are you saying you voted leave partly for controlled immigration?
    Or”Some people” voted leave because they wanted controlled immigration?
    tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

Controlled immigration .
    See my edited reply.

tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

Controlled immigration .
    See my edited reply.
    Ok Thank you

If we had a government like Hungary or Poland who refuse to take the eu quota of migrants.

When I posted that many people don't understand the difference between the different categories of immigrants. You scoffed at this, yet you obviously don't.
    HAYSIE said:

When I posted that many people don't understand the difference between the different categories of immigrants. You scoffed at this, yet you obviously don't.
    There you go again, i do understand the different categories of immigrants.
    Please explain to me why you think i dont know ?