You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Shamima Begum: Ex-Bethnal Green schoolgirl who joined IS 'wants to come home'

Comments

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,575

Doubleme said:

I cannot comment on law as I am not a qualified lawyer. What I will say is this appears to be a situation that evokes vigorous debate. On the one hand we have someone who appears to have betrayed our country and joined with an enemy that is calling for the death/enslavement of us all. On the other hand we have someone who made a mistake at 15 and yeah at 15 I was stupid and capable of making some silly mistakes.

The thing is rather then getting emotive and worrying about sympathy and forgiveness or anger and hate we should try to look at the actuality of the situation.

We have someone who is sympathetic to views that justify mass terrorism who even when she was apart from them and meant to have changed was advocating for their side.

If she came back here how sure can we be that she would not be behind a mass terrorist attack? to those that think we absolutely should let her back in how would you feel if your son or daughter was killed in a terrorist attack that she was later involved in?

a good illustration is pedophiles I know its off topic but as an analogy its known that those who were abused as children are more likely to become child abusers themselves. Now that is not me saying we should lock up or restrict the rights of those abused by pedophiles that would be insane. But if we have someone who is a pedophile or advocates for pedophilia whislt they may have been a victim before and that may invoke some sympathy would you want them living on the same street as your children? I would not.

I think anyone that joins a terrorist organisation like ISIS or AL Queeda or etc should not be allowed to come back to our country and live freely among us. I dont want to risk my loved ones or myself later on when some of these individuals commit atrocities.

There's so much disjointed with the above it's hard to know where to begin tbh.

I have no idea where you live, but in a 10 mile radius of your home address I bet there are dozens more dangerous people living close to you.

If/when she returns, she'll be watched like a hawk by the authorities. She won't be able to even **** in peace.
    And that's assuming she returns to society and not a stint in jail first.

You say to look at the actuality of the situation; that actuality is that she's a British citizen and she cannot be made stateless. All other opinions, mine included, are basically irrelevant and we could debate it until the cows come home but that is the ''actuality of the situation''.
    well I wouldnt know tbh I live in rented accommodation the person who lived here before us was apparently a ****. the entire neighbourhood is friendly to each other and social but none of them want anything to do with us because they just remember the **** who lived here before us and I dont think they realised someone knew moved in. I don't know why he was a **** I never really got details just the one neighbour who does talk to us told me this. So I cant comment I would certainly hope that there is not many dangerous people around me but if there is I dont see how it makes anything better by adding one more.

Which would cost the taxpayer a huge amount of money. There are people living in poverty with disabilities or other huge disadvantages who could be helped with the same money surely that should be the priority instead?
  • Options
    RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    edited February 2021
    @Essexphil Seriously? Half Catholic & Protestant? You're having giraffe mate, you're either one or the other. As for the IRA, UDA & UVF do you not remember The Maze prison in Northern Ireland where political prisoners where interned? Also the Irish border is so porous it would be laughable to remove citizenship. I think you'll also find that anyone born on the island of Ireland has an automatic right to settle in the UK as part of the agreement made when the Irish Free State became the Irish Republic.

@hhyftrftdr The 10 miles away from Birmingham comment really went over your head didn't it? I was the one getting called finian b*****d on a daily basis after the bombings all because I have an Irish surname. That was the point I was making not that there are scary people around every town.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
    Rinkhals said:

I would just like to make a few points.

Under international law a state cannot renounce a person's citizenship if in doing so the act of removing their nationality would render that person stateless.
    This woman, (she is no longer a child) is eligable to claim Bangladeshi citizenship and therefore the UK government can lawfully strip her of her UK citizenship.

She joined a terrorist organisation and fully supported their ideolgy. From a legal standpoint even if she only carried out activities such as cooking or cleaning she actively aided in giving assistance and she knew prior to joining ISIS it was unlawful to do so.

Someone mentioned grooming. I feel that in this case that statement muddies the waters a little. I say that because from a young age she was the subject of religious indoctrination. I would say the exact thing of any child raised by the followers of any religion whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Islam or any other major religion. They all have devout believers who practice extreme versions of their faith.

As an aside to the above point I've always felt that it should be an offence to religiously indoctrinate any child as in extreme cases it can culminate in the situation this woman now finds herself in.

The final point I would like to make is that at NO point has she shown any remorse or contrition for her actions or those of IS.

For that reason alone I agree completely to strip her of UK citenship. It is quite clear she would pose a real and significant threat to our national security.

Shamima Begum will not be allowed here, Bangladesh says

Shamima Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen and there is "no question" of her being allowed into the country, Bangladesh's ministry of foreign affairs has said.

The UK has stripped the 19-year-old - who fled London to join the Islamic State group - of British citizenship.

Such a move is only possible if an individual is eligible for citizenship elsewhere.

It was thought Ms Begum had Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother.

But the ministry of foreign affairs said the government was "deeply concerned" she had been "erroneously identified" as a Bangladeshi national.

In a statement, it said Ms Begum had never applied for dual nationality with Bangladesh and had never visited the country.

It added that the country had a "zero tolerance" approach to terrorism and violent extremism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47312207

Shamima Begum: Bangladesh says Isis bride not a citizen and ‘nothing to do with us’
    ‘Ms Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen… there is no question of her being allowed to enter into Bangladesh’

Shamima Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen and cannot enter the country, its government has said, meaning the UK has made her stateless.

“This is a matter of the British government – Bangladesh has nothing to do with this,” said the country’s home affairs minister Asaduzzaman Khan.

Shahriar Alam, the state minister of foreign affairs, said the Bangladeshi government had only learned of Britain’s attempt to strip Ms Begum of citizenship through news reports.

“The government of Bangladesh is deeply concerned that she has been erroneously identified as a holder of dual citizenship,” said a statement.

“Bangladesh asserts that Ms Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen. She is a British citizen by birth and never applied for dual nationality with Bangladesh… there is no question of her being allowed to enter into Bangladesh.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/shamima-begum-bangladesh-citizenship-isis-bride-british-uk-javid-stateless-a8788976.html
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,353
    edited February 2021
    Rinkhals said:

@Essexphil Seriously? Half Catholic & Protestant? You're having giraffe mate, you're either one or the other.

Thats one **** of a conclusion to reach @Rinkhals Lets find out for sure.

To essexphil I put the following questions to decide which you are cos you clearly cant be half and half.

1. Do you end the Lord prayer with ,' for ever & ever Amen' or 'do you extend it needlessly as in ' thine is the kingdom' etc ?
    2. Which denomination do you consider closest to the gates of heaven behind the Catholics. The Anglicans, Baptists, Lutherans, Calvinists or Pentecostals?

3. How many books are there in the old Testament? 49 or the blasphemous 39 books.?
    4. At weddings do you hesitate to go up to receive the body of Christ or are you at the front of the queue ?
    5. Celtic or Rangers ?
    6. Are you considered handsome or ugly?
    7. Purgatory or straight to heaven/ **** ?

edit* sky filters dont allow ****. which makes them Papists.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
    If ISIS had not been defeated and created their "caliphate" do you think she would still want to come back here?
    She would stilll be there dropping sprogs and supporting the modern day N@zis.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    mumsie said:

Rinkhals said:

@Essexphil Seriously? Half Catholic & Protestant? You're having giraffe mate, you're either one or the other.

Thats one **** of a conclusion to reach @Rinkhals Lets find out for sure.

To essexphil I put the following questions to decide which you are cos you clearly cant be half and half.

1. Do you end the Lord prayer with ,' for ever & ever Amen' or 'do you extend it needlessly as in ' thine is the kingdom' etc ?
    2. Which denomination do you consider closest to the gates of heaven behind the Catholics. The Anglicans, Baptists, Lutherans, Calvinists or Pentecostals?

3. How many books are there in the old Testament? 49 or the blasphemous 39 books.?
    4. At weddings do you hesitate to go up to receive the body of Christ or are you at the front of the queue ?
    5. Celtic or Rangers ?
    6. Are you considered handsome or ugly?
    7. Purgatory or straight to heaven/ **** ?

edit* sky filters dont allow ****. which makes them Papists.
    My father was brought up C of E. My mother a Catholic. My mother's journey to being a lapsed Catholic went like this (she was 16):-

Local priest:-"I hear you've got engaged. I'm looking forward to meeting your man in Church"
    Mum:-He's Church of England
    Priest:-"You're damned to he ll for all eternity".

I think being Catholic or Protestant used to be important. But then so did whether you wanted Oxford or Cambridge to win the boat race. If Protestants and Catholics could get along, then maybe so could Shia and Sunni Muslims. Answers:-

1. Extend it needlessly. Less time for Minister droning on.
    2. Find it faintly amusing that any religion, or part thereof, think they get first dibs. Would have to be a petty God to rule in favour of the man born a Glasgow Catholic rather than someone born a Bangladeshi Muslim.
    3. Marginally prefer the blasphemous 39 over the apocryphal 49 :) Some of the extras are worth a read, some are laughable. First Gospel wasn't written down for 2 generations after the events, so the whole 66 may be divinely inspired, but they are not 100% accurate.
    4. Think you are confusing "body of Christ" with "free bar"
    5. Spurs. Failing that, Hibees.
    6. Put it this way. I have a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. The last time they saw a face like mine, the whole herd had to be destroyed
    7. Purgatory, like limbo, sounds more ridiculous than heaven.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Rinkhals said:

@Essexphil Seriously? Half Catholic & Protestant? You're having giraffe mate, you're either one or the other. As for the IRA, UDA & UVF do you not remember The Maze prison in Northern Ireland where political prisoners where interned? Also the Irish border is so porous it would be laughable to remove citizenship. I think you'll also find that anyone born on the island of Ireland has an automatic right to settle in the UK as part of the agreement made when the Irish Free State became the Irish Republic.

@hhyftrftdr The 10 miles away from Birmingham comment really went over your head didn't it? I was the one getting called finian b*****d on a daily basis after the bombings all because I have an Irish surname. That was the point I was making not that there are scary people around every town.

Nothing went over my head. I haven't even responded to you for you to assume anything went over my head.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

If ISIS had not been defeated and created their "caliphate" do you think she would still want to come back here?

Takes one to know one.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025

VespaPX said:

Takes one to know one.
    Another insightful response from His Royal Princess the Dork of York.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    A Government that ignores International Law ... Can that Country still be called a democracy ?

As for other comments stating what she would have done if Isis hadn’t been defeated, well...that’s like saying if my Auntie had t.esticles she’d be my Uncle.

Sad sad sad state of affairs.
    Anyone who has children and has seen them grow into beautiful people after making stupid mistakes when they were young ought to be a tad worried how this is playing out.
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897
    I think for what it is worth on this subject is , we all can agree that 15yr olds can and do make misguided judgements , i no i did at 15, most of which i got pressurised into doing ( you could say groomed into ) even thou i knew it was wrong to do so i did steal from shops , i did break into houses , stole cars , I'm not proud of what i did 40yrs ago and regret everything .

The turning point was when i got caught , i owned up i admitted my mistakes i took responsibility for my actions , i served my time and turned my life around .

Her first interview showed she had no regrets for her actions she admitted she saw severed heads she saw killings and she said they did not faze her and ISIS had to do what they did as it was war and she had no problem with it but she wished to now return home to the UK with her only remaining child after being captured .

There will always be mistakes made by the young but some mistakes like hers are unforgivable unless those mistakes are owned up to straight away she did NOT ..

Only when she realised she was not being brought back to UK did she denounce isis as a route back ... TO LATE ...

As for citizenship and will admit i could be wrong here, her parents hold duel citizenship she was born here in the UK her father no longer in the UK but in Bangladesh even thou she has never been there under there law she has automictic right to citizenship thru her parents .. even thou they do not want her over there she is not stateless .. pretty sure if this is the case this was the line the UK used to denounce her UK citizenship so international law broken .

Last thing from me do i think anyone should be brought back after turning to ISIS and fighting over there ..NOT A CHANCE .. Do i think they should be held in camps over there NO I DO NOT ... solution to problem DEATH SENTENCE .. not prison as that will only breed the nexted wave .. HARSH i no it is, but as has been said before how you going to feel if you want them brought back and then your own kids or others are killed because you want them brought back to the UK and they then commit atrocities , i doubt very much you would own up and say sorry my fault never mind ,

there is a thin line between what is right thing to do and what should be done ,either way your on what ever happens we have all got to except different opinion's

• Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    Last thing from me do i think anyone should be brought back after turning to ISIS and fighting over there ..NOT A CHANCE .. Do i think they should be held in camps over there NO I DO NOT ... solution to problem DEATH SENTENCE .. not prison as that will only breed the nexted wave .. HARSH i no it is, but as has been said before how you going to feel if you want them brought back and then your own kids or others are killed because you want them brought back to the UK and they then commit atrocities , i doubt very much you would own up and say sorry my fault never mind ,

Which Country would you suggest carry out the Death Sentence now she is stateless?

Should the UK bring back the Death Penalty for terrorists ( With no trial )

Has the Death Sentence made any difference to atrocities in other Countries?
  • Options
    HANSON said:

I think for what it is worth on this subject is , we all can agree that 15yr olds can and do make misguided judgements , i no i did at 15, most of which i got pressurised into doing ( you could say groomed into ) even thou i knew it was wrong to do so i did steal from shops , i did break into houses , stole cars , I'm not proud of what i did 40yrs ago and regret everything .

The turning point was when i got caught , i owned up i admitted my mistakes i took responsibility for my actions , i served my time and turned my life around .

Her first interview showed she had no regrets for her actions she admitted she saw severed heads she saw killings and she said they did not faze her and ISIS had to do what they did as it was war and she had no problem with it but she wished to now return home to the UK with her only remaining child after being captured .

There will always be mistakes made by the young but some mistakes like hers are unforgivable unless those mistakes are owned up to straight away she did NOT ..

Only when she realised she was not being brought back to UK did she denounce isis as a route back ... TO LATE ...

As for citizenship and will admit i could be wrong here, her parents hold duel citizenship she was born here in the UK her father no longer in the UK but in Bangladesh even thou she has never been there under there law she has automictic right to citizenship thru her parents .. even thou they do not want her over there she is not stateless .. pretty sure if this is the case this was the line the UK used to denounce her UK citizenship so international law broken .

there is a thin line between what is right thing to do and what should be done ,either way your on what ever happens we have all got to except different opinion's

She doesn't and cannot get citizenship with Bangladesh.
    Her travelling to Bangladesh would likely result in what you seem to want; the death sentence (I 100% disagree and it's almost comical that because you don't think she/they should return, but also that she/they shouldn't be held in a camp then the perfect solution is to kill her....utterly bizarre....but another discussion altogether)

This isn't about what people want. I don't think a single person (apart from maybe her family) can say they really ''want'' her to return. If she opted to never step foot in England again then I and probably everyone else certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

However, she has a right to return.
    Just like I would.
    Just like you would.
    Just like any British national on this forum would.

She is likely a victim and perpetrator of crime.
    Things need to go down the correct legal channels, ascertain what crimes she may or may not have committed or been complicit with and ideally try and get to the root of the problem of how a 15 year old girl abandoned her life in England and ended up in Syria as an ISIS bride.
    This all needs to be done in a court of law following proper proceedings, and not trial by TV or media interviews conducted a couple of years ago.

Slinging a noose round her neck doesn't solve anything and it's actually quite a barbaric suggestion.

• Options
    no more barbaric than having them in the UK ... simple scenario there all brought back some end up in jail some are released how do all you bleeding hearts feel if there is a attack and it turns out a family member has been injured or died and those that have been released are involved ...

Feel free to show compassion just do not expect it back from ISIS supporters ..
  • Options
    HANSON said:

no more barbaric than having them in the UK ... simple scenario there all brought back some end up in jail some are released how do all you bleeding hearts feel if there is a attack and it turns out a family member has been injured or died and those that have been released are involved ...

I wonder if the victims of your crimes are also worried about your potential future criminal activity?

We don't even know what crimes she may or may not have committed and yet you want to kill her as apparently she can't return but she also can't stay there, so in some bizarre, twisted logic the only option left is execution.

Unhinged, barbaric and a little bit insane.

Much rather be a ''bleeding heart''.

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,158
    edited March 2021
    HANSON said:

As a Christian I would expect nothing but torture and death, probably by beheading, at the hands of I S and its supporters. However, all it takes for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing.

Would you martyr her? perhaps not the greatest idea. 10 of the remaining 11 Apostles were killed by Rome to set an example, The 250 million ACTIVE Christians currently around the world would suggest it failed in its purpose and only added to the intensity of the movement and its followers.

So I offer this

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Love your enemies.

Love the sinner, hate the sin.

I'm not a bleeding heart and would happily stand at post with a weapon to defend my country against I S or any other threat.

The thing is I would be defending it so that the rights of the British People are upheld and preserved. That includes the rights of the idiots, the bigots, the misguided and even those suspected of heinous acts.

That is what sets Britain apart from so many other countries and why we should be proud it does.
  • Options
    i do tend to over react when i should try and see things from both sides in this case ... so my original post was a strong and unjustified reaction to the article based on how i would feel if one of my children or wife or close family member was killed in the UK .

Upon reflection her only crime in the UK was stupidity in the first place ..

Did she take part in any acts of terrorism over there truth is i do not no either way .

if she has to answer for any acts committed over there then she should answer for those acts in a court over there and if not guilty of course the government can reconsider its decision .

At the end of the day my compassion is to the family's that have lost innocent loved ones in acts of terrorism .

.. i think the best thing i can do is stay off the forum page then i cannot over react ...

GL all and stay safe

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
    HANSON said:

i do tend to over react when i should try and see things from both sides in this case ... so my original post was a strong and unjustified reaction to the article based on how i would feel if one of my children or wife or close family member was killed in the UK .

Your reaction was in response to a UK citizen that is not allowed to return home.
    I wasnt aware that the person in question had made any threats against any of your family.

Fortunately stupidity is not a crime anywhere in the world, as your posts might have put you at risk.

Did she take part in any acts of terrorism over there truth is i do not no either way .

Yet you were prepared to condemn her to death, despite not knowing.
    Some of those that were thought to be guilty of crimes in Syria are in custody.
    It is estimated that over 400 Jihadis have returned to the UK from Syria, although it is feared that many have just disappeared.
    Despite your concerns this doesnt appear to have resulted in an upturn in terrorist atrocities in the UK.

if she has to answer for any acts committed over there then she should answer for those acts in a court over there and if not guilty of course the government can reconsider its decision .

Any investigation over there seems unlikely.
    I think it is fair that everyone should pay for their crimes, but only subsequent to being found guilty of them.
    It surely makes sense for every country to take control of their own terrorists, rather than just passing the buck to another country.

At the end of the day my compassion is to the family's that have lost innocent loved ones in acts of terrorism .

Any reasonable person would agree.
    What about the presumption of innocence?

.. i think the best thing i can do is stay off the forum page then i cannot over react ...

Your extreme views range from free meals for starving children to executing people who have not been found guilty of any crime.
    I am not sure whether your change of views is down to a genuine change of heart, or in reaction to the views that others have expressed in response to your comments.

GL all and stay safe

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    HANSON said:

GL all and stay safe

She also comes across as entitled and rather unlikeable.

Whereas a lot of modern-day terrorists seem to have had media training.

It is a crime in this country to belong to a number of organisations, of which ISIS is one.

I can certainly see the argument that the UK should facilitate a proper court case without letting her in the country to have that case. That could be done by convening a Court abroad, or by using technology to enable her to give testimony in a UK Court while abroad.

Instead the Government decides just to provide a sentence without any justice being seen to be done.

I try to have compassion for all sides in this sort of thing. But it is important not to forget the innocent victims in all this. Whether that be from terrorist bullets, bombing raids, or the lack of facilities that led to the death of her young children.

Nothing wrong with over-reacting. It is natural. It is an emotive issue.

Please don't feel you should not put your views on this forum. Apart from anything else, you are clearly able to listen to opposing points of view, which makes you better than most of us!
  • Options
    I'm unsure how useful she'd be in the war on terror, however it's high time her citizenship was reinstated and she's investigated and likely put on trial in the UK.

I don't understand why they are making an example of her, yet let dozens of people who actively fought for ISIS back into the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58573501?at_custom4=E428A62A-1641-11EC-A60D-8F28BECD475E&at_custom3=BBC+News&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&fbclid=IwAR1yLHf2HFtRcTVOOhRIC2ABHVZBHpZ_XJUzhgcQx4CnvtSdIDR_t6tegFE