You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Shamima Begum: Ex-Bethnal Green schoolgirl who joined IS 'wants to come home'

Comments

• Options
    MasoniReefMasoniReef Member Posts: 168
    tomgoodun said:

well anyone who thinks someone who joins a terrorist cell and justifies why they bombed manchester want their head testing you did hear the bit where she showed no remorse and justified bombing manchester right...so you want people like this to come back to the uk potentially radicalise other people or even murder other people in our country all in the name of isis you want your head testing !!!!
    if one person gets murdered would you be prepared to say sorry to the families because you belive they deserve a 2nd chance

What punishment is appropriate to this woman?

Conspired against britain for another power safe to say treason would be good hang the **** for me
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,298

tomgoodun said:

well anyone who thinks someone who joins a terrorist cell and justifies why they bombed manchester want their head testing you did hear the bit where she showed no remorse and justified bombing manchester right...so you want people like this to come back to the uk potentially radicalise other people or even murder other people in our country all in the name of isis you want your head testing !!!!
    if one person gets murdered would you be prepared to say sorry to the families because you belive they deserve a 2nd chance

Conspired against britain for another power safe to say treason would be good hang the **** for me
    No, no speak your mind...don't hold back!
  • Options
    madprof said:

tomgoodun said:

Sorry, should clarify my position I suppose

I think she left Britain as an articulate, educated but naive 15 year old...she now wants to return as a woman - who has had more than enough life experiences to enable her to have a more informed view..unfortunately when interviewed, her views on Manchester continued to be biased towards the life she has been living within the ISIS world , by choice!

The recent interview with her Dutch husband seemed to illustrate that she appears to be still more radical than him!

Whilst it has no basis in law and I think it will be overturned on appeal, Saveed Javed's decision was the right one for all parties:

She won't be at risk of her life
    It won't cost the public purse in protection costs
    The political stance sends a message that if you go to support a terrorist regime, you don't deserve to retain your citizenship

Having said that, she will probably come home, face UK justice and cost the country millions over her lifetime being 'protected'

She should go to Holland and be with her husband...in jail btw
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

Its like Rainman version II.

I refer you to my post from yesterday regarding the 'justification' element. You need to be able to somewhat detach yourself from the emotion of it all though, and I'd hazard a guess you're unable to do that.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

Guys, let's make sure we keep it cool on this thread, & avoid digging each other out.

It's an emotive subject, we all understand that, but we won't solve it dissing each other.

Thanks.
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2019

Its like Rainman version II.

I refer you to my post from yesterday regarding the 'justification' element. You need to be able to somewhat detach yourself from the emotion of it all though, and I'd hazard a guess you're unable to do that.
    You just can't address a comment without adding insults to it , can you ?

edit: cross posted at the same time tikay posted.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    madprof said:

madprof said:

tomgoodun said:

I think she left Britain as an articulate, educated but naive 15 year old...she now wants to return as a woman - who has had more than enough life experiences to enable her to have a more informed view..unfortunately when interviewed, her views on Manchester continued to be biased towards the life she has been living within the ISIS world , by choice!

The recent interview with her Dutch husband seemed to illustrate that she appears to be still more radical than him!

Whilst it has no basis in law and I think it will be overturned on appeal, Saveed Javed's decision was the right one for all parties:

The political stance sends a message that if you go to support a terrorist regime, you don't deserve to retain your citizenship

Having said that, she will probably come home, face UK justice and cost the country millions over her lifetime being 'protected'

And a naive and vulnerable 15 year old is responsible for her actions eh ? ...Perhaps you would be better served blaming the people responsible for radicalising her alongside many others and try showing some compassion to their victims .
  • Options

madprof said:

madprof said:

tomgoodun said:

And a naive and vulnerable 15 year old is responsible for her actions eh ? ...Perhaps you would be better served blaming the people responsible for radicalising her alongside many others and try showing some compassion to their victims .
    I was going to respond, then the penny dropped....You are the Adrian Durham of the forums and I almost fell for it..doh...that won't happen again
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118

stokefc said:

My opinion is she's a terrorist and a traitor and should be treated as such

And my opinion is shes a victim in every sense . And you help victims , not punish them .
    If this was a conversation about a sexual grooming victim , some of the hardline emotive language we have seen on here wouldnt have appeared .
    I think her age has to be a factor here, she was 15 which is an extremely vulnerable age which means I think she should be seen as a victim.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

stokefc said:

And my opinion is shes a victim in every sense . And you help victims , not punish them .
    If this was a conversation about a sexual grooming victim , some of the hardline emotive language we have seen on here wouldnt have appeared .
    I think her age has to be a factor here, she was 15 which is an extremely vulnerable age which means I think she should be seen as a victim.
    Vulnerable, yes but intelligent/mature enough at 15 to organise herself and funding to get abroad/coerce others, possibly to join her.

She was (and still is) bright enough to recognise right from wrong. At one level, she perceived going to Syria was 'right'.

Phil has correctly stated the legal position and as I've stated, perhaps blending into the Dutch society may be a more appropriate route... after a jail sentence in Holland, she can go back to living her married life with his/her child

Aren't we - not sure-still paying a massive bill to protect Salman Rushdie from a self inflicted fatwah?

I'm not saying she's wasn't a victim(as well), however some of her stated 'views' on issues has inflamed the situation; perhaps on reflection, she should have had better counsel in preparation for the interviews.

It wouldn't be easy to fit back into UK society without a massive bill to the state for her protection and rightly, if should be for the courts to decide the facts/the way forward when dealing with this adult now

• Options
    edited March 2019
    madprof said:

MattBates said:

stokefc said:

Vulnerable, yes but intelligent/mature enough at 15 to organise herself and funding to get abroad/coerce others, possibly to join her.

She was (and still is) bright enough to recognise right from wrong. At one level, she perceived going to Syria was 'right'.

Phil has correctly stated the legal position and as I've stated, perhaps blending into the Dutch society may be a more appropriate route... after a jail sentence in Holland, she can go back to living her married life with his/her child

Aren't we - not sure-still paying a massive bill to protect Salman Rushdie from a self inflicted fatwah?

I'm not saying she's wasn't a victim(as well), however some of her stated 'views' on issues has inflamed the situation; perhaps on reflection, she should have had better counsel in preparation for the interviews.

It wouldn't be easy to fit back into UK society without a massive bill to the state for her protection and rightly, if should be for the courts to decide the facts/the way forward when dealing with this adult now

Being a resourceful 15 year old is hardly the same as being mature enough to make the right decisions , let alone resist the attentions of a radical organisation .
    As far as her interviews are concerned , if you accept ( as i do ) , that she has been radicalised , then it's understandable that the way she comes across is not going to sit well with a lot of people.
    It also shouldn't be about money , but doing the right thing.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264
    edited March 2019
    15 year olds do & say dumb things, always have & always will. That applies to everyone on this thread, too. (When we were 15).

It'd be a harsh society that judged her for the rest of her life on what she said & done as a minor.

She has an innocent child, too, who has done nothing wrong.

Forgiveness has to start somewhere, & sometimes being first to forgive can have very positive consequences.

The healing process post IS needs to start somewhere. Millions died in World Wars involving the Allies, Germany, Japan etc, but the healing process is well under way, & so it should be.

Peace.
  • Options
    healing process will never made Simply because they are following a ideal set by religion we will alway be the enemy
    i am a realist and it takes bad people to protect =do gooders who think they are helping society her mindset is made and wont change she may saywhat you want to hear but ultimately her beliefs are strong
    its a bit like knife crime they cried fould for stop and search etc pleaded racist and everyone clambered to appease the pc brigade now we have an epidemic
    Same goes to terrorists give them a chance and your breeding the next generation of jihadis when they spread their filth in the uk to naive people helped because eu rules forbid us from kicking them out go figure
    Let her rot there is consequences for actions
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999

healing process will never made Simply because they are following a ideal set by religion we will alway be the enemy
    i am a realist and it takes bad people to protect =do gooders who think they are helping society her mindset is made and wont change she may saywhat you want to hear but ultimately her beliefs are strong
    its a bit like knife crime they cried fould for stop and search etc pleaded racist and everyone clambered to appease the pc brigade now we have an epidemic
    Same goes to terrorists give them a chance and your breeding the next generation of jihadis when they spread their filth in the uk to naive people helped because eu rules forbid us from kicking them out go figure

I disagree with pretty much every word of that, but many people share your views.

One of the main reasons I disagree is because just to let terrorists go is being soft on crime, and soft on the causes of crime.

The EU has absolutely nothing to do with whether we choose to let her back or not.
    People overestimate the impact the EU has on our laws, good or bad. Mostly, such things are our decision, and we need to stop blaming membership of the EU for OUR problems. Assuming we do leave, I am looking forward to what the press and MPs will blame next.

Stop and search probably needs to return in some form, but it needs to strike the right balance between reducing knife crime and allowing young people to meet to have (law-abiding) fun.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    madprof said:

madprof said:

tomgoodun said:

Hi Prof.

There is no natural other home for this woman.

Her Dutch Husband is seeking to use her as a bargaining chip-unlike her, he is facing likely charges in Syria. He has no doubt killed people fighting for his cause.

How would we react if it were the other way round. Would you be happy to take the foreign wife of a UK-born terrorist, even though she had no other link to this country?
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726

Taking this stance to its logical conclusion, we keep fighting each other, keep killing each other, what’s your projection of the end game? Would it be when all those who get radicalised and those doing the radicalising are wiped off the face of the earth?
    Biggest gun / weapons win?

Do you think education and love for fellow human is a waste of time?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

madprof said:

madprof said:

tomgoodun said:

Hi Prof.

Her Dutch Husband is seeking to use her as a bargaining chip-unlike her, he is facing likely charges in Syria. He has no doubt killed people fighting for his cause.

How would we react if it were the other way round. Would you be happy to take the foreign wife of a UK-born terrorist, even though she had no other link to this country?
    Hey Phil

I don't hold the radical views posted re: all forms of retribution, other than an expectation that as an adult woman, she should face the legal processes in this country, should she return as a UK citizen, in line with our laws against terrorism

Agreed re ; status, hence why I said originally the appeal against Saveed Javed's ruling will in all likelihood be heard and won, though she can claim Dutch citizenship as the spouse? ( I know they don't want her either!)

Re: Husband-I haven't followed is a closely as you so accept your interpretation and views,

Yes, I agree, like Holland I probably wouldn't want the foreign wife here

So its lose, lose, lose all the way around.

Another post suggested that the costs of this issues shouldn't be considered.....can't agree that this isn't an issue

Final point on this matter, from me anyway; thanks for not correcting my grammar/typos btw

The ancient law of treason may be rewritten to make it easier to prosecute returning jihadist fighters and their supporters, the Home Secretary has said.

Sajid Javid said that the idea of updating 650-year-old legislation to catch more home-grown extremists was “worth looking at carefully”.

It comes amid concerns that too many jihadists and their brides are escaping prosecution after returning to Britain.

Ministers are currently examining ways to legally prevent 19-year-old Shamima Begum from finding her way back to the UK after she ran away from her London school to join Isil.

Doubt this has happened yet? You're the legal eagle on these things

GL in Vegas sats

• Options
    tomgoodun said:

Taking this stance to its logical conclusion, we keep fighting each other, keep killing each other, what’s your projection of the end game? Would it be when all those who get radicalised and those doing the radicalising are wiped off the face of the earth?

Well nothing new there been going on for a couple thousand years

one thing i will say all you lot giving her a chance who would be happy with her living next door !!!
  • Options
    edited March 2019

tomgoodun said:

Well nothing new there been going on for a couple thousand years

one thing i will say all you lot giving her a chance who would be happy with her living next door !!!
    To be fair it'd prob be safer living next door to her than a lot of places , as she would be monitored and watched like a hawk . Think I made this point back along , draw a 1 mile radius around your house and how many violent criminals /sex offenders you came up with , would probably astound you .
  • Options
    madprof said:

Essexphil said:

madprof said:

madprof said:

tomgoodun said:

Hi Prof.

Hey Phil

I don't hold the radical views posted re: all forms of retribution, other than an expectation that as an adult woman, she should face the legal processes in this country, should she return as a UK citizen, in line with our laws against terrorism

Agreed re ; status, hence why I said originally the appeal against Saveed Javed's ruling will in all likelihood be heard and won, though she can claim Dutch citizenship as the spouse? ( I know they don't want her either!)

Re: Husband-I haven't followed is a closely as you so accept your interpretation and views,

Yes, I agree, like Holland I probably wouldn't want the foreign wife here

So its lose, lose, lose all the way around.

Another post suggested that the costs of this issues shouldn't be considered.....can't agree that this isn't an issue

Final point on this matter, from me anyway; thanks for not correcting my grammar/typos btw

The ancient law of treason may be rewritten to make it easier to prosecute returning jihadist fighters and their supporters, the Home Secretary has said.

Sajid Javid said that the idea of updating 650-year-old legislation to catch more home-grown extremists was “worth looking at carefully”.

It comes amid concerns that too many jihadists and their brides are escaping prosecution after returning to Britain.

Ministers are currently examining ways to legally prevent 19-year-old Shamima Begum from finding her way back to the UK after she ran away from her London school to join Isil.

Doubt this has happened yet? You're the legal eagle on these things

GL in Vegas sats

650 year common law is used in a lot of legal so therefore easy to apply
    everytime folks are arrested and tried in court they have to apply common law
    statutes mean nothing has to be an act of parliment