You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Shamima Begum: Ex-Bethnal Green schoolgirl who joined IS 'wants to come home'

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Maybe the gov't see it as once a traitor always a traitor
    i suppose some people can be deradicalised and some not , she might fit the first group she might not , who knows
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    stokefc said:

i suppose some people can be deradicalised and some not , she might fit the first group she might not , who knows

So why let people back into the UK who actively fought for ISIS against the Brits/western world?
    Those people weren't stripped of their citizenship. The double standards don't really make sense.

I'd suggest people like that are potentially way more dangerous than an ISIS bride who fled the country at 15, who doesn't appear to have engaged in any combat*

As you say, she might be de-radicalised or she might not be....we ain't gonna get to the bottom of that episode whilst she remains stateless in a camp in Syria.

*this is why she needs to be investigated in the UK, to really understand what happened and what she might or might not have been involved in.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634

stokefc said:

So why let people back into the UK who actively fought for ISIS against the Brits/western world?
    Those people weren't stripped of their citizenship. The double standards don't really make sense.

I'd suggest people like that are potentially way more dangerous than an ISIS bride who fled the country at 15, who doesn't appear to have engaged in any combat*

As you say, she might be de-radicalised or she might not be....we ain't gonna get to the bottom of that episode whilst she remains stateless in a camp in Syria.

*this is why she needs to be investigated in the UK, to really understand what happened and what she might or might not have been involved in.
    non of us know if she has engaged in any sort of combat
    and non of us know if she's already been investigated and been found be involved in any combat for all we know she could have done something so atroscious that the gov't won't let her in the country no matter what
    As for other ISIS fighters coming back i ain't got a clue
  • Options
    stokefc said:

stokefc said:

non of us know if she has engaged in any sort of combat
    and non of us know if she's already been investigated and been found be involved in any combat for all we know she could have done something so atroscious that the gov't won't let her in the country no matter what
    As for other ISIS fighters coming back i ain't got a clue
    I must have missed that trial.

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
    In previous media interviews aired shortly after the fall of ISIS, Begum compared the 2017 Manchester Arena bombing—in which 22 men, women, and children died after homegrown terrorist Salman Abedi detonated a suicide bomb—to military strikes on ISIS strongholds, calling the terror attack “retaliation.”

But she clarified her comments on Wednesday, saying she did not know that women and children were hurt in Manchester. “I did not know about the Manchester bombing when I was asked. I did not know that people were killed, I did not know that women and children were hurt because of it.”
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    VespaPX said:

In previous media interviews aired shortly after the fall of ISIS, Begum compared the 2017 Manchester Arena bombing—in which 22 men, women, and children died after homegrown terrorist Salman Abedi detonated a suicide bomb—to military strikes on ISIS strongholds, calling the terror attack “retaliation.”

But she clarified her comments on Wednesday, saying she did not know that women and children were hurt in Manchester. “I did not know about the Manchester bombing when I was asked. I did not know that people were killed, I did not know that women and children were hurt because of it.”

Yeah I think we can call her bluff there, I can't imagine under any circumstances would she think at least some women and children weren't caught up in the Manchester atrocity.

I remember her comments at the time well, they obviously caused quite a lot of outrage here.

It's likely an unpopular opinion but I don't even think her comments were that bad, all things considered, especially when you take the emotion away from it.
    In poor taste? Absolutely. And I'm sure she will regret commenting on the situation.

But retaliation is exactly what it was. You bomb countries to bits, killing thousands of innocent civilians, you have to expect some sort of revenge.

I vaguely remember having a back and forth with Rainman about them, somewhere else in this thread I think.

Awful for people to get caught up in needless conflict, be that on these shores or elsewhere. There are never any winners.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,494
    Let Rainman back he's been de-radicalised.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,494
    Why does everyone want to come here.! What's so good about UK .... It's become a Toilet Bowl ... first glance looks clean, could it be the free toilet paper. hic!
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025