You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Shamima Begum: Ex-Bethnal Green schoolgirl who joined IS 'wants to come home'

Comments

• Options
    rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186

Is there any relevance to her still being in Syria that we should attach to her words of the last few days?
    She might be in a refugee camp but I'm sure it's wise for her own safety that she is careful what she does and doesn't say whilst in such a situation.

Some of her comments could've been worded much better, particularly the Manchester comments, but when you take the emotion away you can understand what she is getting at.

It doesn't sit right with me that she's been stripped of her citizenship, and whilst it's a complex issue ultimately she is a British citizen.

Just caught up on the debate here and fair play to almost everyone involved, in what could have been a quickly closed thread. The usual suspect let himself down as standard but everyone else, particularly Dobie to my mild bemusement, has contributed well.

Thank god the GREAT BRITISH Public , dont have the same views as people like you.
  • Options
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/pWn_uSJLJL8
    Shocked by a letter, but when she saw decapitaed heads not even fazed.
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    Shooting range criticised for Shamima Begum target

A shooting range in Merseyside has been criticised for using images of IS bride Shamima Begum as a target.

Labour MP Angela Eagle said she was "disapproving" of the use of living people's faces by Ultimate Airsoft Range in Wallasey.

Ms Begum left the UK at 15 to join the Islamic State group in 2015, and has since had her UK citizenship revoked.

The range said it had responded to requests from customers, with "record numbers" wanting Ms Begum as a target.

Wallasey's Ultimate Airsoft Range told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme that the range was intended "for people to learn the importance and safety of handling weapons, while having fun".

"Our targets provide some fantastic reactions and conversations... bringing out the inner child in all," a spokesperson said.

Images provided to the BBC show one target of Ms Begum with tens of bullet holes in it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47386100
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,030
    Type your comment

A shooting range in Merseyside has been criticised for using images of IS bride Shamima Begum as a target.

Labour MP Angela Eagle said she was "disapproving" of the use of living people's faces by Ultimate Airsoft Range in Wallasey.

Ms Begum left the UK at 15 to join the Islamic State group in 2015, and has since had her UK citizenship revoked.

The range said it had responded to requests from customers, with "record numbers" wanting Ms Begum as a target.

Wallasey's Ultimate Airsoft Range told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme that the range was intended "for people to learn the importance and safety of handling weapons, while having fun".

"Our targets provide some fantastic reactions and conversations... bringing out the inner child in all," a spokesperson said.

Images provided to the BBC show one target of Ms Begum with tens of bullet holes in it.

"Our targets provide some fantastic reactions and conversations... bringing out the inner child in all," a spokesperson said."
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

"Our targets provide some fantastic reactions and conversations... bringing out the inner child in all," a spokesperson said."
    Yep it's beyond ridiculous .....strange thing , but never thought my " inner child " would ever be discovered by putting someone up as a target and shooting them .
    Having said that , if it is popular , then it's a massive social statement ...which there is no return from . :(
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,030

It just leaves me beyond words. Where did all the hate in society come from? And why?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

It just leaves me beyond words. Where did all the hate in society come from? And why?

It's by no means a new concept ...look at history through the years on our island ...just more visible now to a bigger audience , because of the internet . Doesn't make it right or palatable , but it's not a new ocurrence.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077

Tikay10 said:

It's by no means a new concept ...look at history through the years on our island ...just more visible now to a bigger audience , because of the internet . Doesn't make it right or palatable , but it's not a new ocurrence.
    It's not new.

However, there is an increase in people being perceived purely as "good" or "evil", whereas the reality is most people are a bit of both.

People like the POTUS referring to "bad guys" etc really doesn't help. I sometimes think people increasingly cannot distinguish between films and the real world.
  • Options
    Perhaps my memory is playing tricks, but at the start of the Syrian Civil War, weren't we on the same side as ISIS?
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

Is there any relevance to her still being in Syria that we should attach to her words of the last few days?
    She might be in a refugee camp but I'm sure it's wise for her own safety that she is careful what she does and doesn't say whilst in such a situation.

Some of her comments could've been worded much better, particularly the Manchester comments, but when you take the emotion away you can understand what she is getting at.

It doesn't sit right with me that she's been stripped of her citizenship, and whilst it's a complex issue ultimately she is a British citizen.

Just caught up on the debate here and fair play to almost everyone involved, in what could have been a quickly closed thread. The usual suspect let himself down as standard but everyone else, particularly Dobie to my mild bemusement, has contributed well.

Please explain what she is getting at , because i can not understand that killing innocent people is in anyway justified.
    I know you understand her feelings but explain to us what she is getting at ?

Bolded bit....indeed, and that works both ways. I dread to think how many innocent people we, as a country, have killed over there in the last decade.

I'll try keep it as simple as possible for you Rainman. Imagine someone punches you in the street, and you retaliate by punching them back. You justify the decision to attack them back because they attacked you first.

Swap punches for bombs, and the street for Syria and there you have it.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Essexphil said:

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks, but at the start of the Syrian Civil War, weren't we on the same side as ISIS?

Please explain what she is getting at , because i can not understand that killing innocent people is in anyway justified.

Bolded bit....indeed, and that works both ways. I dread to think how many innocent people we, as a country, have killed over there in the last decade.

I'll try keep it as simple as possible for you Rainman. Imagine someone punches you in the street, and you retaliate by punching them back. You justify the decision to attack them back because they attacked you first.

Whilst I don't disagree with what you are saying ...the timing of waiting until Rainman is banned again , and consequently doesn't have right of reply is pretty poor .
  • Options
    Quick question.

Why is Ms Begum not part of the "Great British" public?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Essexphil said:

Quick question.

Why is Ms Begum not part of the "Great British" public?

Some people would argue that she lost that right when she joined isis ...I don't concur with that , as I think she is ultimately a victim . You have a home secretary appeasing the populus view rather than doing the right thing .
  • Options

Essexphil said:

Whilst I don't disagree with what you are saying ...the timing of waiting until Rainman is banned again , and consequently doesn't have right of reply is pretty poor .
    I flew back from Doha to Manchester yesterday evening. I've just got back to my home, and thus my laptop, in the Midlands this evening.

If Rainman can't behave himself on a forum that's not my problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Essexphil said:

I flew back from Doha to Manchester yesterday evening. I've just got back to my home, and thus my laptop, in the Midlands this evening.

Well let me see , you managed just fine to find his post to reply to , so you will also have seen the ugly , ridiculous , carry on I've been banned logo next to his name . So in essence , you know full well he has no right to reply . Slap yourself on the back .
  • Options

Essexphil said:

Didn't know he'd been banned. Again.
  • Options

Essexphil said:

Well let me see , you managed just fine to find his post to reply to , so you will also have seen the ugly , ridiculous , carry on I've been banned logo next to his name . So in essence , you know full well he has no right to reply . Slap yourself on the back .
    What on earth is wrong with you? I've seen your absurd stuff on other threads elsewhere whilst catching up this evening.

He asked me to explain my post, which I have duly done. I didn't explain it sooner as I've been on holiday in South East Asia for the last 2 weeks. The post I did on 21st February was from Malaysia (Rainman would hate it there), and I realised it was silly to engage in forum stuff or even go on it whilst away, so decided not to check in again until I was home.

I'm now home.

As before, if he can't behave himself on a forum then that ain't my problem. He wanted an explanation, he has one and I'm sure he will see it. I even made it nice and simple for him to try and understand.

When his ban is up, he can respond in kind. Genuinely can't wait for that.