You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Edges £100 to £1000 challenge.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,368

The pound note was withdrawn from circulation in 1988 according to the B.o E. website.

How old do we feel now ?. Me personally blooming ancient.

Never mind that.
    We want Noddy. We want Noddy...
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,205

The pound note was withdrawn from circulation in 1988 according to the B.o E. website.

How old do we feel now ?. Me personally blooming ancient.

You have gotta be kidding me?

22 years ago?

Incred.

You'll be telling me next 10 bob notes have gone too.

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,458
    Actually its 32 years mate but I dont want to think about it.

Time for a lie down in a darkened room.
  • Options

Actually its 32 years mate but I dont want to think about it.

Time for a lie down in a darkened room.

WTF, I can't even do basic maths now.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
    Hi Mark.
    Good to see you back posting, hope all is well.

£1 note 😊, I remember decimalisation, it made betting and working out ‘ winnings’ a tad easier, it was a bit of a bu gger trying to work out the returns for 3 tanner doubles and a tanner treble on a 13/8, 11/2, 15/8 bet 😉.

Good luck with the grinding mate.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Hi all just finished the latest session.

Thanks for the kind words @tomgoodun

It was a bit sobering as I was never ahead of the rake/ reg and had some brutal runouts.

Stats for session.

28p dym played 40 cashed 20 win ratio 50%

£1,000 freeroll finished before late reg ended £0 returns

Stats for Challenge

28p dym

played 60 cashed 33 win ratio 55%

No other returns

closing bal £29.87

Til next time, rungood, have fun, etc

Mark
  • Options
    Morning all and first thing to say is ive stopped playing the dyms. Not for any other reason than I wasn't enjoying the game so I'm back doing what I enjoy which is deepys, freezys and the occassional sng.

Just taken 2nd for about £35 in the 1am freezy whilst watching the Super bowl and thinking that this is really having fun.

Ive also shoved a few quid on both Stars and Party. Stars because the micro mtts are so full of really bad players with the A x = A I P F mentality that I just enjoy playing them. Party more to play small stakes sats for live comps etc.

If theres anything significant to report I'll let you know but don't hold your breath.

As far as the real world goes live poker is firmly on the backburner for a few weeks as an increase in other commitments means that both time and funds are limited. A new year has seen me rejoin Slimming World, train 4/5 nights a week at the gym usually after the 11.15 deepy and in an attempt to make the worship band at church I'm having drum lessons (I played about 40 years ago in a school based punk 3 piece).

I haven't forgotten about the promised story but to do it justice will require some time.

Right, Im off to the Gym now. Yes that's right going training at 4a.m. I must be completely off my nut.

Have FUN, rungood and hey lets love each other yeah. Theres too much hate.

Til next time.

Mark
  • Options

Nice one Mark, when we are on a super-thin bankroll, £35 is serious money. In all honesty, you could never have made £35 playing those small DYM's imo.

Slimming world? We have a Slimming Thread on here, you'd be very welcome to join.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/forums#/discussion/177238/fat-club-the-sequel/p1

Glad to hear all is well, do keep in touch.
  • Options
    Hi all just took a min cash in tonights freezy for £12 + change would've been more but for @Bakerboy07 who has no flaming ICM concept but can hit rivers at will it would seem. Talking of which why is it always the river? honestly, it would be nice to get flopped dead just ocassionally :D .

So at the minute the bankroll is above starting point so that's nice and life is very hectic, which is annoying but hey. Theres millions of people whod swap places in a heartbeat so I'm just going to keep thinking happy thoughts.

Sorry its only a quickie but time really is of the essence at the moment.

Til next time, rungood, have fun, love each other and oh yeah smash it. Especially if youre playing Bakerboy07 lol.

Mark
  • Options
    gr0wapeargr0wapear Member Posts: 93
    Good run in the freeroll last night, didn't see your final hand though - how much did you cash? £4?
  • Options
    That wasn't me. There is another TheEdge on the site but with different numerics obvs.

Must have been him / her because I was at foodbank and certainly not playing. Now I understand that a certain Matt Bates possibly runs good enough to cash without even turning on his laptop, but for us mere mortals its just not possible.

Yours in poker

Mark
  • Options

That wasn't me. There is another TheEdge on the site but with different numerics obvs.

Must have been him / her because I was at foodbank and certainly not playing. Now I understand that a certain Matt Bates possibly runs good enough to cash without even turning on his laptop, but for us mere mortals its just not possible.

Yours in poker

Mark

There seem to be shedloads of them;

TheEdge11
    TheEdge11
    The Edge31
    TheEdge67
    TheEdge75
    TheEdge112
    TheEdge610
    TheEdge777
    TheEdge945

Plus, of course, you too.

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,562
    Very good Tikay. Nearly as good as my shadows pun ;)

I agree with the bates run good theory. He entered 3 all in sats the other night......and won 4.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,562
    Very good Mark. The story, not the aggro ofc ;)

Another one of my old haunts, for my sins. Didnt go in too often, and never broadcast the fact we were Stoke lads. We also had (and it is still used nowadays by some) a nickname for 'Stafford' . It was safer to go to props than the West Way TBH.
  • Options

Love these stories of life on the "doors".
  • Options
    Just finished 5th in the 23.15 deep stack for £11.31.

Its a nice enough finish but omg how nitty are these getting. To be honest it felt like I was the only one playing to try and win it.

Really guys cmon yeah, if we are going to sit for 4 hours or more for a £2.30 entry comp lets at least communicate. Poker is after all a social game.

Was placed well to win until I called an all in preflop with A K. Villain shows 88 and were flipping a flop with an A and a K has me happy until I realise they're all hearts. Oops villain has the 8h and yes a 4th heart on the turn and im on life support. nh wp.

4 hands later with 17,000 chips left (just over 4bb @ 2000 / 4000) I shove KQ s into same villain. He has AA, of course he does and its gg.

Hopefully this cash will signal an upturn in fortune.

Til next time

Rungood, have fun, smash it.

Mark
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    fantastic story mark keep em coming
  • Options
    Hello all just placed 10th in the late deepy, which kinda leaves the bankroll on life support. As usual it was the typical anti social comp with no interaction apart from the ubiquitous @cerysanc04 who proceeded to remove my lucky trousers whilst sat next to me. Ill leave it at that.

There was way back in the annuls of time a venue on Cobridge Road in Stoke by the name of Evergreens.

this venue was totally off the beaten track. Sitting about a 15 minute walk from the City Centre in a primarily residential area it was a place you didn't end up at by chance, and if you were after a nice night out you didn't end up there at all.

The place can be described accurately and completely in one word "Horrible".

Yet dear reader it was there that the following tale unfolds.

It was a Saturday night and we had already passed the usual number of incidents for the night when about 10 minutes before admission closed a likely lad hoves into view complete with twitchy demeanour, chewy face syndrome and a bad attitude.

Now normally I believe in diplomacy but weve already had a half dozen altercations and I've got blood on my shirt (mine) and my jackets ripped, so sufficed to say I am not at my empathetic best as I step into the neutral zone and bar his way.

I inform him that I am not allowing him entry and he starts to demand a reason. Now normally I would just point out that the Landlord/ Licencee or his representitives reserve the right to refuse admission without reason and leave it at that but Im tired, Im a little angry and my jaw hurts like mad.

I explained that in my humble opinion he had been knocked back at every door in town and if they weren't letting him in neither was I.

Next thing there is the unmistakable sound of the click of a flick knife and at this point the Lizzard part of the brain takes over as thousands of years of evolution kick in and before he can react I hit him with an open palm power slap that could be heard in Burslem (a town about a mile away).

While his stunned brain is still coming to terms with what just happened I hit him with another slap and the knife falls to the floor. Greg, another guy on the door, doing what any good doorman would immediately stands on it and laddo know starts to get off the floor and postures up. However he backs down almost immediately and slinks off shouting about his Dad coming to sort this out.

Now at this point maybe I should have just let it go but Im not proud to say my ego kicks in and I taunt him to go get Daddy to fight his battles. Usually threats to return later etc are just bravado and very little ever comes of them.

Ahem, except this time it would seem as 30 minutes later Greg interrupts my thought with "Mark, guess whos back?."

I look over the road to see the lad approaching casually with an older guy in tow, and Greg then utters the immortal phrase "Erm buddy if that's who I think it is then we are ******".

I look closely and realise who Dad is, one of the most feared men in the city and smile to myself. This is going one of two ways.

Laddo's face is a picture as Dad opens with

"Mark mate how's it going".

"Alright thanks ***** how have you been keeping, is the missus well etc".

Eventually the conversation gets around to the two large handprints either side of juniors face and I am totally honest and produce the knife at wich point Dads demeanour turns black and he rounds on his Son.

"Ive known this guy (meaning me) since he was in short trousers and you come here and threaten him with a knife. I should let him kick you into next week you little ****"

He apologises for his son and asks me if he can deal with it. I explain that as far as Im concerned its already dealt with and if junior behaves in future he can come in to the venue as long as he isn't off his nut on coke.

As they walk away all I can hear is "You pulled a knlfe". Slap "Sorry Dad".

"You pulled a knife". Slap. "Dad Im sorry".

"A knife" Slap. "Dad please I am sorry"

A fortnight later the Son came to the venue early doors and asked for a chat. I found him to be pleasant, urbane and witty and not without intelligence.

He remains to this day one of the best doorman I have ever worked with. Isnt it funny how life turns out.

Til next time, rungood, have fun, love each other, smash it.

Mark

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Another cracking story Mark, love these.

You should write a book. "True Crime" & "Door Tales" are very popular these days.