You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Edges £100 to £1000 challenge.

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,272
    edited July 2019
    Well where to start, I know lets start on Saturday, not that there was any poker mind oh no absolutely not.

We had a wedding to attend, but this being a wedding between 2 of our lovely young Church members it had to be perfect in every way. Perfect for the bride that is.

Now the itinery was really simple. Mr and Mrs to be rock up at the registrars at 9.00 with their parents (also the witnesses) make it legal. go to our Church for 11.00 for the blessing and worship then off to Fulford Hall which is at the other end of the City for a 3.00 wedding breakfast.

9.00am. That part goes swimmingly.

11.00am. Everybody including the Groom and his 9 groomsmen are in situ at the church.

12.40. The bride and her 9 bridesmaids finally cover the 3/4 of a mile from the registry office to the Church. The blessings etc go well the worship is stirring and Im getting thirsty. there's tea and coffee etc but its not that kind of thirsty.

14.00. load up the vehicles and tear off to the reception where there is a bar. get there at about 14.45 to a champagne and bucks fizz greeting complete with canapaes'.

Now due to the photographer deciding to do a complete photo shoot inside the venue the food wont be served until about 17.30 and the bar WONT open until the foods been cleared away. The nearest Offy is about a 20 minute drive and you dont want to appear rude. Big hints are dropped like everybody cracking open the wine that was on the tables to compliment the food and I eventually organised an escape committee and off we drove to Tesco at Meir Park for supplies.

On our return we discovered that there was yet another delay as somebody had decided to seat all the children together on one table and get their food first. this wasnt in my opinion the finest piece of wedding planning as some 16 kids between 4 and 12 and copious amounts of nuggets chips and juice dont make for a happy ending.Although it meant our absence had gone largely unnoticed.

We then pretended to have Christ like powers as we made beer and lager appear to the delight of the gathered and parched attendees as we wandered through the throng administering as was required.We were then admonished by a member of the Hall Committee that only alcohol bought from the bar could be consumed on the premises.

We give this short shrift as the bar is not open and the wine, champagne and bucks fizz haven't been purchased from the venue either and continue on our mission of mercy. When the Brides Mum says you're doing a good job who are we to disagree and discreetly slip her a Gin.

Eventually food is served, bar is opened and the evening goes very well.

It was just too long, our youngest granddaughter was a flower girl and had been up since 07.00 as she was with the bridesmaid party. But, the Bride, who is a really great young lady, can be a little demanding when it comes to what she likes and lets be honest who the heck is going to be the one to broach that subject.

Got home about midnight plus 30, took one look at playing the freeze out when Wifey informs me that were off to the van on Sunday taking eldest granddaughter with us.

Sunday.

Get to the van, play a bunch of mtts including the mini. Lose a load of buy ins and finish with a 7th place in the 21.15 deepy for like not a lot.

It played insanely long tonight and took nearly an hour to get from 12 players to the money which was 9th.

Probably the most intense £2.20 mtt ever.

Just decided not to play the freezies as Im pretty jaded.

Hope you are all smashing it, I know I'm not.

Have fun and rungood.

Mark
  • Options
    Sunday was a similar story of just not quite getting the rub of the green.

Made some good decisions, made a few that on reflection did not paint my poker prowess in a particularly encouraging light. Took some beats and gave some out and really just had fun with a few beers after spending all day taking eldest grand daughter (shes 5) hither and yon. Oh how she loves Cadwalladers in Betws y Coed, although I think the wife secretly puts her up to it.

£20 for three Sundaes is I feel a little extreme, I mean its only £125 to buy into the Goliath. However who am I to deny the simple pleasures in life ?

The balance is still quite healthy at a little over £126 although is due more in part to me eschewing the late freezeouts atm coz grand daughter thinks 7.00 am is a lie in.

Have fun, rungood, smash it.

Mark
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Well after not playing since Tuesday due to Ill health, my Silver Wedding and the traditional first game of the season all dayer, I sat down to 2 mtts and a cheap sng 6 max.

21.15 deepstack 6th £10.27

£1.10 6 max 1st £3.90

01.00 Freezeout 4th £15.60

Didn't really expect to run as well as I did but Ill take it and its onwards and upwards.

Got really lucky in the 6 max as I was a 5/1 dog as we got heads up and just hit everything I chose to play. Although I wast just shoving any 2, it was certainly fold or shove poker.

The other 2 were my typical game. Really aggressive when I had the cards / spots/ equity. Staying out of trouble when I didnt and trying to ride the calling stations to valuetown.

Til next time.

Have fun and rungood

Mark
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,022
    Nice results Mark.

Yes it's great the footy has finally kicked off, are you a Stoke or Port Vale fan?
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Nice results Mark.

Yes it's great the footy has finally kicked off, are you a Stoke or Port Vale fan?

I'm a Stokie mate
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,220

Really enjoyed the wedding write-up Mark, top work that.

Think I've attended maybe 1 wedding in my life, 2 at tops, I can't imagine a worse way to waste a day, but each to their own.
  • Options

Stoke? As in Stoke City?

How did they get on on Saturday?
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    Tikay10 said:

Stoke? As in Stoke City?

How did they get on on Saturday?

We scored 1 more goal at home than Brentford did.....so, shush.
  • Options
    Well another shortish session interspersed with watching the footy and John Wick.

19.30 FTT No1 the best value deepy on the site £200 gnt £2 entry 94th.

Played this one like a complete spanner if Im honest. I don't just mean badly, I mean in the realms of "OMG have you actually ever played before" and "Have a serious word with yourself coz this is actually embarassing".

Probably the worst game I've ever played on Sky and there have been a few horror shows.

21.15 Deepstack 34th.

A slightly better showing as I managed to recover some composure after a total debacle, as my game at least found some structure and coherence. Nothing to write home about but at least I wasnt trying to hide my username on this ocassion.

Bustout was simple in that I'd lost a flip for 90% of my stack trying to bridge that gap between the 8,000 I had and the 15,000 I needed to have some leeway. Next hand I see suited ace and in it goes, gg.

23.15 Deepstack 5th £11.92

Another FT and the evening has been saved from total ruin as I experience the pleasure and the pain of poker.

Firstly with about 14 left and the blinds at 600/1200 I get K 7 in the bb and get a peak at a 7 7 4 flop.
    Sb bets, I raise, sb shoves for 34,000 and I call leaving less than a bb back.
    Devastation hits as the sb shows A 7 and Im on the canvas, but the RNG must be set well for me and a turn K gives me the boat, I fade the A on the river and whayy Heyy its double up and making the money time.

Come the final table though I find that despite getting really good starting hands I just cant hold up and the 5th was about a fair place.

Current bal is in the region of £145 and Im still in the main having fun.

Have fun, rungood and smash it.

Mark

• Options
    Well after a couple of weeks not playing much due to a temporary increase in work hours I finally managed to bink the 1 am freezeout for £44.40 to keep the bankroll healthy.

To be honest the tourney played easy, from the 2nd hand when i doubled up, pretty much all the way through to the ft and the heads up. Poker is easy when you hit everything and tbh I didnt really have to do anything as the victory fell into my lap.

Going to be really busy over the next fortnight so may only play 2 or 3 late mtts a day but then as work settles down the schedule should get back to normal.

Until next time have fun, rungood and smash it.

Mark
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176

Well after a couple of weeks not playing much due to a temporary increase in work hours I finally managed to bink the 1 am freezeout for £44.40 to keep the bankroll healthy.

To be honest the tourney played easy, from the 2nd hand when i doubled up, pretty much all the way through to the ft and the heads up. Poker is easy when you hit everything and tbh I didnt really have to do anything as the victory fell into my lap.

Going to be really busy over the next fortnight so may only play 2 or 3 late mtts a day but then as work settles down the schedule should get back to normal.

Until next time have fun, rungood and smash it.

Mark

Nice bink.....well doneMark :)
  • Options
    rearenderrearender Member Posts: 151
    @TheEdge949
    I really enjoyed reading your journey, very well written, funny and your a winner. I was thinking of doing my own as I have actually nothing to do for two weeks should be all it takes to **** £100. Reading both @waller02 and your own I think I will. It wont be half as well written as yours or win as much as wallers but might be able to keep a hold of my money longer if I put it down on paper :)

and good luck going on hope to see you at the tables.
  • Options
    Firstly thank you to @rearender for those kind words and I look forward to following your exploits, good luck with it.

Secondly to all those who thought I'd disappeared up my own fundamental orifice, sorry but I've merely been away at Devoted 2019 our annual four day worship camp, where we have witnessed breakthrough, healing, incredible stories of salvation and some brilliant lifezone seminars which enable us to better serve God, society and our communities.

The good news for you guys is that my poker is really bad at the moment. tonight I played the 21.15 and 23.15 deepstacks and got owned within the first 2 levels of both then in the 1.00 freezeout went out in the 2nd hand running a flopped set of 9s into a flopped straight, oops my bad.

Had to do something so sat at a spin up with £2 and turned it into £14 before common sense prevailed and I took the profit and ran. Yeah I know, boo, hiss, big yellow chicken etc.

I really hope youve all had a great Bank Holiday weekend.

Until next time rungood, have fun, be all you can be.

Mark.
  • Options
    Well its been a brutal week poker wise. managed to make a couple of final tables in the freezeouts but no cashes just horrible runouts.

Take this mornings 2 am freezeout for example sitting in 3rd I have @Danyo0 shove on me. I figure my A K is well above his shoving range and call. GOOD call as he shows A 10. K on the flop is nice but theres also a Q, oh oh we know where this is going. Nh Dan.

Some moments later as shortstack of 5 remaining with 3 getting the money I shove on the blinds with 10 10 and get called by A K which is fair enough. a 10 on the flop has me happy although theres a K as well. A turn K has me ecstatic as really im just looking to fade the Ace and whatever the other flop card was. Cue drumroll its an................................................................................Ace of course it was. Nh grrrr.

Thats been indicative of my total week so right now the bal is down to £123.

Oh well it could be worse.

Have fun, rungood.

Mark
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    Please..contact Nathan.. matey, over 'THINKIN IT.. '.. OVER 'theorising'.. a big STATEMENT.. m8..paper bad..could not fight.. U ever WRONG?
  • Options
    Hi all well I,m still running like Oscar Pistorious without his blades but hey hum I suppose that's all a part of life rich tapestry and at some point the powers of variance will adjust the great RNG to my benefit once more.

So what shall I talk about?. I know lets consider last Sunday and we can file it under the "Mystery of the vanished boat and the owl whisperer".

Ok so last Sunday myself and the good lady set out in the old jalopee to Norbury Junction a mere 40 minutes from home where we are booked onto a narrowboat for a genteel cruise on the Shropshire Union canal complete with cream tea.

Now the trip is scheduled to depart at 2 and we are under instructions to be there early and as there is a nice tea room and an even better pub situated there that's not a problem. we even decided against going to Church preferring a lie in prior to leaving.

Its all going swimmingly and we begin to assemble near the boarding point at about 1.45 although there's no sign of the boat. About 10 minutes later a rather harassed worker arrives and proceeds to write the word delayed on the timings board. Hmmm I'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this.

At 2.15 and with no boat in sight and no explanation I go in search of some answers and am informed that the boat has had the propeller shaft fouled by fishing line and the crew are trying to free it. Hmmmmm I definately know where this is going.

At 2.45 the trip is officially cancelled as is the 15.30 sailing and to be fair the staff do a great job of rescheduling and give out cream teas gratis.

Now at this point there hoves into view a barge being piloted by a man completely covered in tatoos, totally head to toe complete with a companion who has an owl on his shoulder. yes an owl, eat your heart out Jack Sparrow.

The sight of the tatoo'd man did cause some consternation amongst many of the gathered populace, however I love tatts, I have some myself and I find total body coverage fascinating. Lets be honest if you run out of things to say you can spend an hour reading people.

Then along the towpath comes Mrs Tatoo like a mirror image and she's loud, laughing and larger than life. I like her immediately. Using my grandparents "Bargee" background as an excuse to engage them both me and the missus start a good chat with these people, who it transpires are old school Bargees, eschewing gas and electric and living very much off the grid.

Now about the Owl. Im informed it was a female Verney Owl named Tilly and she left the gauntlet still on the tether and walked across the table and sat on the wifes' leg.

The owner, another Bargee who'd come with the tatood couple to help them fuel and take on coal was agahst as Alison (my amazing missus) spent the next 20 minutes or so stroking its head and generally fussing it. Apparently it had never allowed anybody to do that before and it refused to go to anyone else.

As far as the missus was concerned it was better than any canal cruise and to be honest I saw the company of the Bargees in the same manner.

It just goes to show that you never know what events are going to conspire to give you a really great experience, although spare a thought for those on the 12.30 cruise. When we left at 16.15 they were still stuck on a narrowboat.

For all I know they're still there.

Till next time have fun and rungood.

Mark
  • Options

@TheEdge949

That's a beautifully written tale Mr Edge, thank you very much.

Owls are astonishing creatures, though I'm not familiar with the term "Verney Owl". Here's a regular Barn Owl though. Beautiful, right?

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    You defo should of gone to the Norbury Junction pub.

I spent a summer in 'my youth' working at Stone Boat Building Yard.I was just assisting a painter doing blacking or coach lines etc on barges. The characters you meet in that world always have a story to tell, and on the whole, great folks.

Really enjoy your style of writing. No ego trips or woe is me tales. Keep it going Mark, and #runlikewaller on them tables when you get to play.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@TheEdge949

That's a beautifully written tale Mr Edge, thank you very much.

Owls are astonishing creatures, though I'm not familiar with the term "Verney Owl". Here's a regular Barn Owl though. Beautiful, right?

Whoops my bad @Tikay10.

The Owl Whisperer herself has just told me that the guy said "It's a Barney" when I asked him about Tilly.

Going a bit deaf in my dotage.

Here's the whisperer at work

and yes beautiful and magnificent. The Owl's quite nice too.
  • Options
    rearenderrearender Member Posts: 151
    I hope you start to find your running legs soon, loving the continuation of the diary.

James