You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Edges £100 to £1000 challenge.

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Bagged a 2nd in last nights 9-15 deepstack.

So enjoying poker right now win a few lose a few have some fun. Wish I'd learned this years ago.

Have fun and rungood

Mark
  • Options
    Grabbed another second place in todays 1 a.m. Freezeout.

Balance actually back over £100. Still really playing in a relaxed manner the occassional dym, deepstack and freezeout.

Seems that when you play like it doesnt really matter, the game comes easier.

Oh well lets see what next week brings, till then.

Have fun and rungood

mark.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    After a shocking run of bad play and awful comp selection Im nearly busto then I.....

Managed to final table last night mini and took 6th place for £110.88.

Happy with the bustout hand tbh. Playing about 70,000 and the table shortie by a long way I got 7 7 in the cutoff and made it 17,500 blinds were 3000 / 6000. Big blind shoves for 275,000 and I call (hed been shoving and showing a wide range of Ax suited connectors etc). He shows KK. good game.

Managed to then have back to back sickeners in the 1am and 2 am freezeouts so Im slightly deflated but its been great fun.

Til next time have fun and rungood

Mark
  • Options
    Played three comps last night due to other commitments.

The 23.15 deepstack and the 1 and 2 am freezeouts. Won the 2am for £50 which was nice.

Gotta get out of the habbit of running big overpairs into flopped sets though, its costing me almost every day. Did it twice last night K K into flopped set of 10 on a 10 high board and QQ into flopped set of 5 on a 3 5 9 rainbow board.

Ah well it could be worse. I suppose I couldve had my flopped set of Aces called all the way to the river by the diamond draw which then got there. Oh wait that did happen lol.

Mark
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

After a shocking run of bad play and awful comp selection Im nearly busto then I.....

Managed to final table last night mini and took 6th place for £110.88.

Happy with the bustout hand tbh. Playing about 70,000 and the table shortie by a long way I got 7 7 in the cutoff and made it 17,500 blinds were 3000 / 6000. Big blind shoves for 275,000 and I call (hed been shoving and showing a wide range of Ax suited connectors etc). He shows KK. good game.

Managed to then have back to back sickeners in the 1am and 2 am freezeouts so Im slightly deflated but its been great fun.

Mark

Great to see this diary back.

Any particular reason why you didn't just open shove 77?
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I understand that he has been shoving wide but has he been shoving wide over a 3x open off 12bb? Is he expecting to get many folds from you? Also, are we not going to be in a load of flips if he is shoving a wide suited connector range like 89 suited/J10 suited etc.

With running into sets, without seeing hand histories it is hard to know if you are doing much/anything wrong. Sometimes we can get away, other times we are over folding if we are folding over pairs and have to accept sometimes we lose to sets.

WP in the mini btw, pipped me by one spot!
  • Options
    Really dont know why i didnt open shove tbh. I'd been all in a couple of times and everybody just folded and I guess that I wanted to try and get Ax or double paint etc to stick it in so we could flip because I couldnt see any other way of really increasing my stack. Perhaps some shortstack coaching vids for me.

With regard to running into sets I feel that I just need to pay more attention to what my opponents actions should be telling me, maybe rein in my aggression levels and try to lose the least when it happens.

Thanks for the kind words guys. They are appreciated.

Got some churchey stuff til about 10 oclock so looks like its just going to be the same 3 again tonight.

Have fun and rungood

Mark
  • Options
    23.15 deepstack 20th
    01.00 freezeout 12th
    02.00 freezeout 4th on the bubble

Hmm not my finest evening. Basic errors and bad play meant I got myself into situations that I shouldnt and then compounded the problem by getting angry as other players exploited me.

I should have won the 2.00 freezy. No disrespect to the other players at the FT (all regs) but having gone from short stack to a 6/4 chiplead over the remaining 4 I was in control. I would like to say that I was outplayed but in effect I was stubborn and stupid refusing to believe that my flopped straight was crushed by a flopped flush and ending up in a short stack situation that I just couldnt recover from.

So lessons learned and humility restored. I am not as good as I think I am, but, I'm better than I was because I will learn from those mistakes.

Churchey stuff again tonight (foodbank) so don't know what I'll play tonight.

Have fun and rungood.

MARK
  • Options
    23.15 Deepstack 1st
    01.00 Freezeout 8th
    02.00 Freezeout 1st

Well what a difference 24 hours can make. Probably played my best poker for ages in the deepstack and nursed an 8,000 stack for about 2hours dragging the ocassional small pot and keeping out of trouble. In fact with 10 players left I was 9th with just on 10,000 chips and decided to move through the gears.
    It certainly helped when I started getting hands that I could 3 bet the blinds with and intent on making the F/T (comp paid 6 places) these much larger stacks kept folding to me.
    Suddenly its final table and Ive got a very playable 20,000 and was able to play aggressively but selectively and ended up H U with Finngers who had 130,000 to my 90,000 about half an hour of me getting better cards and its a welcome bink for £37

The 01.00 freezeout was never really one thing or another and tbh concentrating on the deepstack was kind of a distraction. I didnt really play badly here I dont think but looking back there were a couple of spots that I'd like to do-over. 8th was about where I deserved to be.

The 02.00 freezeout was something I only entered with about 5 mins of late reg left. By this time we were final table in the deepy and about 4 runners left. Had Duesenberg sat to my right all comp and I can think of easier opponents to have raising your big blinds mercilously. Managed a couple of double ups fairly quickly and then played abc til the final table which had Duesenberg with 14,500 me with 13,000 and the rest really short.
    Heads up was myself and Duesenberg and did I get lucky when I shoved a suited A into him, which he snaps with a pr. A river K made me broadway and suddenly Im on the verge of winning.
    Huge rap to Duesenberg who never complained or had a dig. Absolute class mate, I hope I can take that kind of beat with the same dignity.

So there we go another day another game.

Until next time, have fun and rungood.

Mark
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

"23.15 Deepstack 1st
    01.00 Freezeout 8th
    02.00 Freezeout 1st"

Beast (Official).

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Thanks for the kind words Mark and well done on a very decent night's work :)
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Nice results Edge, well done.

@Duesenberg up at that hour and playing MTT's? :o You're obsessed ;)
  • Options
    21.15 deepstack 20th
    21.30 mini ukops 15 mins lol
    23.15 deepstack 28th
    01.00 freezeout 7th
    02.00 freezeout 13th

A really mixed bag of performances tonight.

21.15 deepstack. Late regged and played this one whilst all flustered and shellshocked following the 15 minutes of cardageddon in the ukops event and tbh I only lasted as long as I did because of some dodgy play by others. Note to self IF YOUR HEADS NOT RIGHT DON'T PLAY.

21.30 mini ukops. OMG this so reminded me of the £2 rebuy donkfests that Grosvenor used to run about 12/15 years ago. 3 times I call all ins with monsters only to see 2 / 3 players behind all shove with a smorgasboard of holdings. Wasted 3 buy ins and decided to get out before I was suddenly £40 deep.

23.15 deepstack. I'd had some coffee and calmed down a bit when I regged for this. Played reasonably to get a stack of 12,000 then on a board of 10 4 10 ran my K 10 into leeahicks A 10 and that was all she wrote.

Both the freezeouts were a mixed bag of being card dead or promising starting hands which never improved. Just for giggles the computer decided to put Duesenberg on my immediate right AGAIN in the 2am. I was never in the second comp and really shouldve quit for the night, but hey its another lesson learned.

I hope wherever you played you smashed it.

Might have a night off tomoz. Wont be back from work til almost midnite so Ill see how I feel.

Until next time have fun and rungood.

Mark

• Options
    MynaFrett said:

Nice results Edge, well done.

@Duesenberg up at that hour and playing MTT's? :o You're obsessed ;)

Thanks Myna. When players such as yourself take time to post it really does mean a lot.

mark
  • Options
    02.00 freezeout 5th

Didn't get in til after 01.45 so decided to just browse the forum and reg for the Ryder Cup Charity Thingy.

However decided to play the final freezy of the night and never got above 4,000 chips although thanks to some really bizzare shoves and calls it was enough to get to the FT which I did with approx 3'200. Everybody else had 7,000 plus which meant I was always trying to find a spot which never seemed to happen.

Two big stacks then had a mines bigger than yours contest and the bubble bursts. Ten minutes later its gg and a min cash.

Deffo wont play tomorrow as I just have too many other commitments to take care of but all being well I will be back for the Sunday mini.

Hope wherever you played you smashed it.

Until next time have fun and rungood.

Mark
  • Options
    Well the weekend turned into a nightmare as work family and church all conspired to totally balls the whole shebang.

Ended up playing the 23.15 am deepy on Sat which lasted all of 2 hands QQ into KK gg and next please.

01.00 freezeout was even worse out in 23rd without ever winning a hand I think.

My plan to play the Sunday mini went out of the window as I didnt get to the van in Rhyl til 9.30. late regged the 21.15 deepstack and had a rollercoaster ride to 19th.

Going to bed now as Im 36 hours without sleep and to play anymore would just be stupid.

Current bal is £170.22 and considering it was £15 at this time last week Im more than happy with the week.

Wherever you play I hope you smash it, unless you're playing me of course.

Mark
  • Options

".....Current bal is £170.22 and considering it was £15 at this time last week I'm more than happy....."

I should think so too.

Do that every week & you'd earn over £8,000 by this time next year.

Well done.
  • Options
    Well the week didnt get off to the most auspicious of starts due to me playing like a complete spanner.

Seriously the first couple of tourneys I played I was a total fish, donk spewing chips everywhere, calling off stupidly light, calling for middle pinners, chasing flush draws etc.

Then I played a couple of bounty hunters. WHY ?????. I know that I really cant play them. I just cant deal with the fact that a pound bounty suddenly makes total **** seem attractive and I end up playing guess which 4 7 suited is going to run down my Aces this time. Oh sorry it was the 8 9 offsuit, didn't see that one.
    Cue tilt, Jeez I hate bounty hunters.

So back to what I know, Deepstacks yeah ? errm actually no. Straight back to my old habbit of running overpairs into flopped sets, and generally donating to the table as I try to get some semblance of poker into my game.

I eventually managed a 3rd place in the 02.00 freezy and thanks to that and the few heads i did manage to take in the b/h's, somehow I get out of the carnage with only a small £5 deficit on the day. How I dont know, I certainly dont deserve it.

Have I learned anything from the chastening experience ? yes I have learned that......

Dont try to play your way out of a funk. Just stop , its akin to chasing losses at a bookies.
    If you know youre not really any good at a certain game then DONT play it durrrrr.
    Dont be afraid to sit out a level if youre tilting. Make a brew, grab a coffee.
    Remember to have fun.
    Its only poker.

Ok I think that's it for today. hope wherever you played you smashed it.

Mark

• Options

Well the week didnt get off to the most auspicious of starts due to me playing like a complete spanner.

Seriously the first couple of tourneys I played I was a total fish, donk spewing chips everywhere, calling off stupidly light, calling for middle pinners, chasing flush draws etc.

Then I played a couple of bounty hunters. WHY ?????. I know that I really cant play them. I just cant deal with the fact that a pound bounty suddenly makes total **** seem attractive and I end up playing guess which 4 7 suited is going to run down my Aces this time. Oh sorry it was the 8 9 offsuit, didn't see that one.
    Cue tilt, Jeez I hate bounty hunters.

So back to what I know, Deepstacks yeah ? errm actually no. Straight back to my old habbit of running overpairs into flopped sets, and generally donating to the table as I try to get some semblance of poker into my game.

I eventually managed a 3rd place in the 02.00 freezy and thanks to that and the few heads i did manage to take in the b/h's, somehow I get out of the carnage with only a small £5 deficit on the day. How I dont know, I certainly dont deserve it.

Have I learned anything from the chastening experience ? yes I have learned that......

Dont try to play your way out of a funk. Just stop , its akin to chasing losses at a bookies.
    If you know youre not really any good at a certain game then DONT play it durrrrr.
    Dont be afraid to sit out a level if youre tilting. Make a brew, grab a coffee.
    Remember to have fun.
    Its only poker.

Ok I think that's it for today. hope wherever you played you smashed it.

Mark

Morning @TheEdge949

I noticed that in the middle of your MTT session last night, you suddenly played a little Turbo DYM. Is that usual, or was it a one-off? I find that mixing MTT's & DYM's quite a struggle, as we need to think so differently, one is gaining chips, the other more a case of preserving them & paying heed to what everyone else has as we just need to finish 3rd.
  • Options
    Hi Tony, yeah to be honest I like to play a £1 turbo dym. although I will play any micro stake. Usually I think that I have a small edge in these but cant multi table atm due to my laptop being so old 2 tables or more creates a lag which can cause me to miss entire hands.

I play them just to get rid of negative feelings and tilt. I find I cant get worked up over a quid or less and so its a great pressure release.

If I'm trying to build a little on my stack I prefer the normal variety and usually play £2 or £3 stakes.

Normally though I wont play both at the same time. as you say different mindsets are required for each. Its why I wont play Omaha seriously tbh. The outdraw, redraw, re-redraw concept means that I may play one once in a while but its usually for poo n giggles.

Mark