You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Edges £100 to £1000 challenge.

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Well following a really dry couple of days in the mtt scene I manage to grab a second place in last nights 01.00 freezy and everything's back where it was.

Enjoying it now especially as the deepstacks seem to have 2 distinct schools of thought. The first seems to be shove and call any top 15% as Ive seen 250 - 350 bb stacks getting it in with A Q v 10 10 etc, whilst the 2nd is the more usual steady approach.

From observations these huge stacks never seem to go the distance, only last night a player had 43,000 chips when the blinds were still 20 / 40 and shoving all in to take the blinds with stuff like 3 3, A 8, 10 Q, absolutely asking to be picked off.

He didnt make the last 30.

It will be interesting to see if this becomes an adopted style by many but until these players start posting wins I can't see it becoming the norm.

Gonna play some mtts later, which depends on what time we get back from the beach.

Have fun and rungood.

Mark

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Have you got a HH of the dude shoving 43k at 20/40 blinds?
    Would be quite funny to see, but obv blank out the name if you want.
  • Options

Dont have the ability to post hh as my laptop is pre millenium (certainly before intel inside) but Ill pm u the name if u like
  • Options
    Danyo0Danyo0 Member Posts: 170

Well following a really dry couple of days in the mtt scene I manage to grab a second place in last nights 01.00 freezy and everything's back where it was.

Enjoying it now especially as the deepstacks seem to have 2 distinct schools of thought. The first seems to be shove and call any top 15% as Ive seen 250 - 350 bb stacks getting it in with A Q v 10 10 etc, whilst the 2nd is the more usual steady approach.

From observations these huge stacks never seem to go the distance, only last night a player had 43,000 chips when the blinds were still 20 / 40 and shoving all in to take the blinds with stuff like 3 3, A 8, 10 Q, absolutely asking to be picked off.

He didnt make the last 30.

It will be interesting to see if this becomes an adopted style by many but until these players start posting wins I can't see it becoming the norm.

Gonna play some mtts later, which depends on what time we get back from the beach.

Have fun and rungood.

Mark

I think I was in that deep stack tournament, I was big stack in that tournament sitting 1st - 3rd for the majority until the FT. I recall being at your table till you bust, if me you are referring to I was putting pressure on the sb and bb as they were short if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    @TheEdge949 saying that I do recall stacking one of the other mega stacks taking advantage of their loose play. So I think I can let go of the paranoia lol.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

@hhyftrftdr

I'll be honest, it was me.
  • Options
    Danyo0 said:

@TheEdge949 saying that I do recall stacking one of the other mega stacks taking advantage of their loose play. So I think I can let go of the paranoia lol.

No mate your play was fine. Yes you were aggressive and applying pressure but never to the extremes of this guy and your play seemed to have a purpose such as thinning out 3/4 callers, iso raising etc.

It was one of the others who for some reason was shoving 1,000 bb to win a pot of 1.5 bb. i.e. 40,000 chips into a 60 chip pot and then next level shoved 43,000 into a 90 chip pot and 41,500 into 90.

He got moved after level 3 but when I checked he'd busted well before me and I went out 25th
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Tikay10 said:

@hhyftrftdr

I'll be honest, it was me.
    You are renowned for your loose aggro style.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    how u getting on now ?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    looking for suggestions for my own challenge, what would people suggest for someone of my level. Please see sharkscope for reference if need be.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Well today was a real mixed bag.

I was awake and playing the £3.30 £150gtd b/h at 9.45 which I won. YES thats right I actually took down a bounty hunter.

In fact this is such a rare occurance that the following conversation ensued.

Me, "Yes get in there, whoo hoo"
    Mrs, "Whats all that noise ?"
    Me " I just took down a bounty hunter"
    Mrs, "No really what the heck are you up to?" Heck wasnt the actual word.
    Me "I just won a bounty hunter"
    Mrs. "Fine don't tell me then"
    Me "NO come and see its right here"
    Mrs "Who were the other players ? David Blunkett and Stevie Wonder"
    Me "Thats harsh"
    Mrs. "No youre just rubbish at bounty hunters". Rubbish wasnt the actual word.

Anyhoo, £29+ for the win and £21+ for the heads seemed fine by me

I later played the late deepy and the 2 freezies. However there wont be any analysis as I cant describe my level of ineptitude without falling foul of the swear filter and probably incurring a forum ban.

Suffice to say David Blunketts dog could have beaten me.

Still a profitable day, onward and upward and all that.

Have fun and rungood.

Mark

• Options
    Danyo0 said:

looking for suggestions for my own challenge, what would people suggest for someone of my level. Please see sharkscope for reference if need be.

To answer your question @Dannyo0, it's more a case of what you feel will drive you on.
    Some people play challenges where they have a specific format such as dym or mtt and then either have a target figure to reach in terms of money won or final tables made or some simply set a target of volume of games and see where that takes them.

Some like to play heads up, others prefer sng stts.

Also consider what level you want to play at and be rolled for it.

Finally think about what kind of player are you. I quickly realised that I couldnt grind 10 - 12 mtts a day so now I may play 6/7 or sometimes only 1/2 and even take days out. Im not a better player for it but Im happier and less prone to frustration and tilt.

Whatever you decide, start a thread and keep us updated. You will find many good players out there who will take an interest and encourage and even advise you.

Good luck and remember to have fun and rungood.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,365

Me "Thats harsh"

To get a clearer picture, what accent does your wife speak with ?
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Danyo0 said:

As has previously said, whichever format you're going to enjoy the most :) You seem to be winning at MTTs and losing at DYMs. Out of interest, looking at scope your MTT results seem to have completely turned around since December. Nice work! What changed?
  • Options
    mumsie said:

Me "Thats harsh"

I would describe it as posh Stoke, think Anthea Turner or a female Nick Hancock.

In fact if it helps she looks like one of those two as well.
  • Options

Danyo0 said:

As has previously said, whichever format you're going to enjoy the most :) You seem to be winning at MTTs and losing at DYMs. Out of interest, looking at scope your MTT results seem to have completely turned around since December. Nice work! What changed?
    @Angmar2626 short answer folding more and taking notes (or at the very least colour coding players).

I took a step back and relooked at my game, to see if I could pin point where I was going wrong and make adjustments aswell as that I've watching other players, playing live, watching early stages of live pokertornaments online/TV, and in a BH format I have become more aggressive especially when I'm big stack against shorts stacks.

I am going to be honest I used to get tilted and fall into the trap stating the software was rubbish etc, but that was down my own lack of understanding of certain aspects of the game. I know fine well the software is fine and now know it was down to my mistakes which were being exploited or me making bad calls etc.

So in conclusion I have been learning and taking advice, colour coding players, and have learned to let go of hands (one of my biggest bad habits was the curiosity or wanting to see what the other had or calling to show how much of a bad beat I got).

Dont get me wrong I am still making mistakes and have bad habits, but I am working to iron those out.

PS another thing may be down to my goal of being a in profit player so that would have helped my discipline.

Daniel
  • Options
    Danyo0 said:

My piece of advice would be keep it simple, & Update it daily. Updating results publicly is a tremendous psychological trick, it really helps.

God luck.
  • Options

mumsie said:

Me "Thats harsh"

I would describe it as posh Stoke, think Anthea Turner or a female Nick Hancock.

Posh Stoke?

I'm really gonna have to think about that.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    Tikay10 said:

mumsie said:

Me "Thats harsh"

Posh Stoke?

I'm really gonna have to think about that.

think of it as Robbie Williams sucking helium :p
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,365
    Alright Duck!