You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Edges £100 to £1000 challenge.

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Nothing much to report really over the last couple of nights, managed a couple of 3rd places in the 2 am and 1 am freezys respectively which pretty much covers all the other lost buy ins and means that heading into the weekend Im almost dead even so far for the week.

Not played as many deepys as usual and have managed to swerve most of the cheap hunters (they are like whisky to me, i know theyre no good for me and yet despite knowing Im gonna feel like hammered poo about it later, Ive just got try another).

looking forward to playing the Ryder Cup over the weekend. Hope to God Im not the player who totally spanners it for the Norf.

Until next time Have fun and rungood

Mark
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

If it's not an impertinent question (ignore it if it is), what line of work are you in Mark?

I notice your poker pattern involves sort of late-evening - early morning, so it was that which made me wonder.

And 1 more Q.....

You are clearly heavily involved with the Church. As a kid, I was forced to attend Church, but it ended badly after a bit of an incident, & I've never been since. What is it about Church/religion that drives you to give it so much of your time?

It's a genuine question.

• Options

Blimey.

That might just be the Post of the Year. Thank you.

WHAT a story, & it begs so many follow-up questions, though maybe I've probed enough for one day.
  • Options
    Thank you and I'm always happy to answer questions. Even the delicate ones.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    Great post Mark. Respect for posting.

I also have faith....faith in beating them Southerners. B)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    As it happens, I'm very interested in the seedier sides of life, & have met, & know, many people who, you know, have crossed the line. I could name at least 3 or 4 poker players I know well & have shared tables with who were subsequently found guilty of murder, including one who cut his wife's head off & deposited both parts of her body in the Nevada desert, & another who chopped up his victim & stuffed it all in a suitcase & hid it under his bed. Both are currently still in prison as far as I know.

I also knew very well several poker players who, in the language used for these things, "worked the Doors", a euphemism for great big bruisers who, more often than not, did more than just did the Doors at Nightclubs & the like. (Bernard O'Mahoney & the like). Not suggesting you did more than "security" of course). The book by the late Lenny McLean "The Guv'nor" is a great read by the way, telling of his time "working the Doors". Your description of "violence, drugs & anarchy" sums up "working Doors" perfectly).

I had to chuckle at that Meet you went to which offered a "free bar". That's exactly what you did not need at the time, lol.

Incredible tale, & thanks for replying in so much detail.

Much respect.

I have a weird liking & respect for those who have gone down the wrong road but got their lives back on track, & this applies particularly to rock stars who should be dead due to drug abuse but somehow sorted themselves out. (Steven Tyler, Anthony Keidis, Joe Walsh, Duff McCagan & many many more). There but for the grace of God & all that.

• Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    Hi Mark
    Thank you for posting the above, huge respect for the brutal honesty, wish I could say more.
  • Options
    engyengy Member Posts: 723
    Wow what a post. Respect to you for that Mark, glad you got your life turned round. like @Tikay10 I like hearing stories of the Lenny McLean/Roy Shaw type. where did you work the doors if you don't mind me asking
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    Great post edge. A military background? Just sounds so familiar ...
  • Options
    engy said:

Wow what a post. Respect to you for that Mark, glad you got your life turned round. like @Tikay10 I like hearing stories of the Lenny McLean/Roy Shaw type. where did you work the doors if you don't mind me asking

I worked mostly in Stoke on Trent (Hanley and Longton) but also Newcastle Under Lyme, Stafford, Uttoxeter, Nottingham and Derby. I also worked in Wrexham, Liverpool and Newport (South Wales) but the latter three were as part of a special "out of town" team brought in specifically to turn a venue around.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    golden ? the gallery ? shelleys ?
    all my era
    great post above Mark have a great future
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    Chicos?...The Place?...Maxims?...

We have probably met in a drunken haze ;)
  • Options
    Regimes, Shellys, Entropy, Valentinos, Teddys, The Place to name but a few.
  • Options
    Well Friday was a non event. Played the usual three of the 23.15 deep and the 2 after hours freezouts.

Did not play well and ran even worse but at the moment its like not really important. I'm having fun and enjoying the banter at the tables.

Hope wherever you played you smashed it.

Til next time have fun and rungood

Mark
  • Options
    Glenelg said:

Great post edge. A military background? Just sounds so familiar ...

I was all set to join the Staffords on leaving school. However, a friend of mine was killed over the water about 3 months before I left. I saw the devastation it caused his family and Im ashamed to say I bottled it and didnt join up.
  • Options
    GREGSTERGREGSTER Member Posts: 383
    What a fascinating read Mark. Almost like living 2 lives. That is an incredible amount of alcohol to get through everyday, most people would be dead after drinking that or at least be getting a stomach pump!

Good luck with the poker. I thought the church was against gambling?
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited May 2019
    Love your honesty and have nothing but respect for the way you have turned your life around.

BTW, Skybet are offering odds of 15/8 on you having had to chuck a young @stokefc out of Shelleys for being a drunken mess. I'm lumping on.

Have a good weekend and gl at the tables.
  • Options
    Summers119Summers119 Member Posts: 193
    Great post @TheEdge949. Very inspiring how you have turned your life around!
  • Options
    GREGSTER said:

What a fascinating read Mark. Almost like living 2 lives. That is an incredible amount of alcohol to get through everyday, most people would be dead after drinking that or at least be getting a stomach pump!

Good luck with the poker. I thought the church was against gambling?

That is the danger of reaching the stage of being a functioning addict. Its something to do with the physiology of the body and not everybody is able to become one. Basically I was in a permanent state of being drunk but the brain has got used to the effects so I wasnt slurring, staggering around or giving any outward signs of intoxication.

However, the body requires an almost continual drip feeding of alcohol to prevent uncontrollable D.Ts sweats and visual and auditory hallucinations. In fact the body is now so reliant on alcohol that to suddenly stop would almost certainly be fatal.

Many Churches frown upon gambling as they believe that it leads to addiction and exploits the vulnerable in society and whos to say thats not a valid point. They then immediately organise a tombola or a raffle to raise funds for x y and z. They are also happy to receive lottery funding.

Many people labour under the impression that Christians are squeaky clean, holier than thou and superior. Well if you come across people like that I would suggest that they are not genuine.

Christians are simply people who realise that they are flawed due to sin of thought, word or deed and have decided that Christ is the answer.

We smoke, drink, follow sports, play poker, swear (we just dont blaspheme), have sex with our spouses, argue, moan about work, give the boss the finger when he isnt looking, get angry, sad, upset etc in fact we do everything that every other person does, we still get things wrong and make bad decisions and sin sometimes.

Hope Ive answered your question honestly Gregster

Mark