You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Petition.

Comments

• Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

Spot on:

Theresa May “will not countenance” revoking article 50 despite a public petition calling for the Brexit deadline to be cancelled adding almost 2m signatures in a couple of days.

When asked for the prime minister’s view on the petition, a No 10 spokeswoman said May worried that failing to deliver Brexit would cause “potentially irreparable damage to public trust”. She said: “The prime minister has long been clear that failing to deliver on the referendum result would be a failure of our democracy and something she couldn’t countenance.”

Says the Prime Minister that is bringing back the Meaningful Vote for the third time.
    It has been so far, defeated by the biggest ever Parliamentary majority in the first vote, and the fourth biggest majority in the second.
    So attempting to force Parliament into voting for something they don't consider to be good for the country must be democratic?
    What do you mean by the death of democracy?
    You know full well what I mean , as do all of the people who voted leave , should there ever be a revocation of A50.

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,537

HAYSIE said:

Spot on:

Theresa May “will not countenance” revoking article 50 despite a public petition calling for the Brexit deadline to be cancelled adding almost 2m signatures in a couple of days.

When asked for the prime minister’s view on the petition, a No 10 spokeswoman said May worried that failing to deliver Brexit would cause “potentially irreparable damage to public trust”. She said: “The prime minister has long been clear that failing to deliver on the referendum result would be a failure of our democracy and something she couldn’t countenance.”

Says the Prime Minister that is bringing back the Meaningful Vote for the third time.
    It has been so far, defeated by the biggest ever Parliamentary majority in the first vote, and the fourth biggest majority in the second.
    So attempting to force Parliament into voting for something they don't consider to be good for the country must be democratic?
    You know full well what I mean , as do all of the people who voted leave , should there ever be a revocation of A50.

If I knew what you meant I wouldn't have asked the question.

I am not sure what you meant when you said it would be the death of democracy.

What does the death of democracy actually mean, in your mind?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Spot on:

Not interested in playing your silly games today Haysie.
    In fact why this bs propaganda post is allowed to reside on this forum , is another strange one.
    If someone put up a BNP recruitment drive link , would that be allowed ? And before the resident trolls jump on that last comment , sorry to disappoint you but no , I'm not a member.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Spot on:

Sorry, I was just asking you to explain your comment.

I thought that was quite reasonable.

It would seem silly to post stuff you cant explain.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Spot on:

Not a question of cant explain , just unwilling to play your silly games.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,404
    HAYSIE said:

Pathetic.
    You better pray this never happens , as it will be the death of democracy in the country and provide an opening for every right wing extremist to crawl out of the woodwork.

What does the death of democracy actually mean.
    People have voted for changes .

Reversing this vote because some people don't like it isnt the death of democracy or democracy failing.

It's the start of a dictatorship.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Spot on:

Right, of course you can explain it.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Spot on:

Maybe I am just thick, but I am uncertain how this death of democracy would manifest itself.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

HAYSIE said:

Pathetic.
    You better pray this never happens , as it will be the death of democracy in the country and provide an opening for every right wing extremist to crawl out of the woodwork.

Reversing this vote because some people don't like it isnt the death of democracy or democracy failing.

What if large numbers of people have changed their minds, or it is not working out how they thought it would?
  • Options
    Petition
    Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.
    The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.
    Sign this petition
    2,728,265 signatures
  • Options
    Really haven't got the time today ..but this section from an article sums it up perfectly:

I always shudder when I hear people say, ‘Let’s stop Brexit’. They say it so casually, so cavalierly. It rolls off the tongue as if it were no big deal. They seem utterly unmoved by what ‘stopping Brexit’ would entail and the consequences it would have. It would mean blocking the largest act of democracy in the history of this nation. And its consequences would be to sow mass doubt in Britain’s democratic institutions and bring about an exodus of ordinary people from public life. ‘What’s the point in voting’, they would ask, ‘when they just ignore us?’. We have to get real. Stopping Brexit means stopping democracy. If we kill Brexit, we kill democracy itself.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655
    For all anyone knows the people signing that petition are remainers
    The government dropped a rayte bolllock putting the vote to the people it's happened now so we have to stick with it
  • Options

Really haven't got the time today ..but this section from an article sums it up perfectly:

I always shudder when I hear people say, ‘Let’s stop Brexit’. They say it so casually, so cavalierly. It rolls off the tongue as if it were no big deal. They seem utterly unmoved by what ‘stopping Brexit’ would entail and the consequences it would have. It would mean blocking the largest act of democracy in the history of this nation. And its consequences would be to sow mass doubt in Britain’s democratic institutions and bring about an exodus of ordinary people from public life. ‘What’s the point in voting’, they would ask, ‘when they just ignore us?’. We have to get real. Stopping Brexit means stopping democracy. If we kill Brexit, we kill democracy itself.

That's one opinion.

I think that the point is that Brexit has involved a series of choices.

The cliff edge has now moved.

It would be no surprise to see the PM losing the Meaningful Vote for the third time.

We could then face a choice between no deal, and revoking article 50.

If this was the case I am certain that the overwhelming majority of the electorate would vote to revoke Article 50.

Are you saying that in this instance we should go through with the catastrophe that is no deal, and the disaster that entails, for the sake of some democratic principle.

The choices that we are left with wouldn't seem to be much of an advert for democracy.

We have the PMs deal which is the least popular outcome.

No deal, the second least popular outcome.

Revoke Article 50.

A long extension to accommodate a referendum.

The referendum choice will be removed if we don't field candidates for the European elections. The deadline for deciding this will be 12th April,

I think it is very easy for people to write off a particular solution, without being able to suggest a valid alternative.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

The government dropped a rayte bolllock putting the vote to the people it's happened now so we have to stick with it

What do we stick with?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

What do we stick with?
    It's looking like no deal if so it has to be
  • Options
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

What do we stick with?
    It's looking like no deal if so it has to be
    That's a disaster.
    WTO rules and removing all the tariffs, means Stoke closes down as a result of cheap ceramic imports.
    Good for consumers though.
    They will save a bit of money.
  • Options
    Stoke has already closed down, why do you think the majority voted leave
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,404
    HAYSIE said:

mumsie said:

HAYSIE said:

Pathetic.

What if large numbers of people have changed their minds, or it is not working out how they thought it would?
    ---------------

When Harry decides he doesn't want to be with Sally any more and starts divorce proceedings and Sally makes life awkward and turns into a right b**** and Harry sees her like he's never witnessed before.

Does he say, ok ok, I'm sorry I didn't realize it would come to this. Let's not divorce.

Sally could say, ok, you want a divorce, I'm going to miss you, but goodbye then , let's stay friends eh . XX

There's the reason it's not working out "as they though " is down to Sally
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Stoke has already closed down, why do you think the majority voted leave

How do you think leaving might help?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    mumsie said:

HAYSIE said:

mumsie said:

HAYSIE said:

Pathetic.

---------------

When Harry decides he doesn't want to be with Sally any more and starts divorce proceedings and Sally makes life awkward and turns into a right b**** and Harry sees her like he's never witnessed before.

Does he say, ok ok, I'm sorry I didn't realize it would come to this. Let's not divorce.

Sally could say, ok, you want a divorce, I'm going to miss you, but goodbye then , let's stay friends eh . XX

There's the reason it's not working out "as they though " is down to Sally
    Do you think that has any relevance at all?
    As I said in the previous post, we have some limited choices to face up to.
    Which choice would you make?