You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The brexit party ...news and articles

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,734

HAYSIE said:

Brexit: Cross-party deal must include confirmatory vote - Sir Keir Starmer

A cross-party Brexit deal will not get through Parliament unless it is subject to a fresh public vote, shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer says.

Talks between Labour and ministers over leaving the EU have been going on for a month with little sign of progress.

Sir Keir told the Guardian that without a new referendum, up to 150 Labour MPs would vote against any agreement made.

Looking forward to that stance sending another load of voters over to the brexit party .

How will that help Brexit?
    How ? There's nothing like a wave of defecting support to get the self serving wastes of space to realise that the only way to get back that support is to deliver on the promise .
    Really?
    When do you think this will happen, as there is no evidence yet?

HAYSIE said:

Rees-Mogg says most Tory activists he meets voting for Brexit party
    Here are the main points from Jacob Rees-Mogg’s LBC phone-in this morning.

Rees-Mogg, the Tory Brexiter and chair of the European Research Group, said most Conservative activists he met were voting for the Brexit party. As LBC reports, he said:
    Normally when you go and speak to Conservative associations and you’re not fully supportive of the leader of the party, whoever that leader happens to be, you’re not the most popular person in the room.

At the moment, nobody is saying anything supportive of the leader or of the leader’s policy.

The majority of the people at associations I’m addressing – and these are members of the party – tell me they’re voting for the Brexit party.

This is in line with the findings of a ConservativeHome survey of members last month that found that 60% of them said they would vote for the Brexit party in the Euro elections.

He said he did not see how Theresa May could continue with so little support from the members. He said:
    I don’t see how a leader can go on so removed from the support base of the party membership.
    He said he was urging people to vote for the Conservatives in the European elections for the sake of May’s successor. Referring to disillusioned Tories, he said:
    I would appeal to their loyalty, to their tradition and to say that the Conservative party will get a new leader at some point.

We want that new leader to have a base on which he or she can build and if we find that we are getting under 15% of the vote, if we are coming fifth behind the Greens, then it will be harder for that figure to rebuild.

He said the BBC was biased in favour of remain. As LBC reports, he said:
    The partiality of the BBC has become clearer and clearer. It is a pro-remain organisation, it regularly has more pro-remain interviewees on its programmes

The ERG have stopped Brexit happening.
    The labour party and others are equally culpable
    The Labour Party are the opposition, the ERG are part of the Government.

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

Looks like Haysies favourite person has finally admitted that there just isn't and never has been the support to revoke article 50 :D

margaret georgiadou

@madgie1941
    May 11
    More
    Re THE Petition: I've been told it has had its day, that it is ancient history, that it has been rejected and is therefore pointless. Maybe. BUT it is all we have in the way of a recorded remain vote at the moment. 6million may be 'historic' but it is nowhere near 17.4 million.

Bit like the aforementioned person , she has now turned her attention to Farage bashing ...so predictably crass these remoaners .

She could hardly be my favourite person, I don't know the woman.

There is no shortage of people wishing to bash Nigel Farage.

To say that there is no support, when 6 million people signed the petition is very silly.
    An abjectly miserable amount of support for a nonsense petition , especially when you consider 16,141,241 voted remain in 2016 . If the remoaners were to be believed , then that figure should be higher now , with people having " changed their minds " ....Fantasy ! :D
    Irony...there was short period when I could have been one of the 16+m leavers, but with little or no concrete evidence that leaving a union( a collective group/power/influence-come on, you're an old fashioned northerner..you understand abart t' union, stand together brothers etc) was right I voted remain...and the shambles of all of the parties' approaches since the votes leaves me to believe we would have even more chaos if we had left

So genuinely NOW, with what we now 'think' we know abart leaving t' union, a 2nd vote would allow people-on both sides- to change their minds and decide based on the information we have now and if it remains(sic) as a leave vote, then we can put the chaos of the last 3 years behind us....

Like Farage said(but of course he won't do it), I might just go and live abroad to my French chateau and live out my retirement peacefully..oh but then

I couldn't play- or comment on forums- on Sky
    The French hate us even more than before

2nd vote? I would predict a minimum of 60% remain

The only thing a 2nd vote would do , is make an already divisive society even more fractured . Leave voters will say that it is undemocratic , remain voters the opposite ....it's not even about the validity of arguments such as that anymore , it's about sides taking the opposite view by default .

We know more now ? Do we? ..the only things we definitely know is the current crop of politicians couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery , party politics is something all sides put above what's best for the country and no great surprise , but they can't keep their word.

On what evidence are you predicting a 60% remain vote ?
    I can't believe we could become any more fractured as a society as now.....

No evidence, no polls, just personal opinion, based on all of the discussions I have with people who voted leave and have reflected over time...anecdotal evidence only, just as you will have the same anecdotal evidence to counter my prediction of 60% remain...

Having said that, its been such a shambles from Farage bullying Cameron into a vote in the first instance, an elongated withdrawal period of 3,5,7, infinite no of years to 'leave' will probably happen if we don't have a second referendum...

Brexit: Britons now back Remain over Leave by 10 points, exclusive poll shows

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-second-referendum-latest-poll-remain-ten-points-leave-bmg-a8114406.html

Exclusive: YouGov Poll Reveals 64% Want Second Brexit Referendum
    Research, commissioned by Hope Not Hate and Best For Britain, also showed 11% lead for Remain.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/yougov-poll-reveals-64-want-second-brexit-referendum_uk_5c1b90fee4b05c88b6f5815f

People think Remain would win a second referendum
    Half the public (51%) think Remain would be more likely to win a second in/out referendum, while only 23% say the same for Leave. A further 12% think both sides stand an equal chance of winning, while the final 14% don’t know.
    Those who voted to stay in the EU in 2016 overwhelmingly back that outcome winning if a new vote was cast, with 72% thinking Remain’s odds are better and only 9% believing this of Leave. Leave voters likewise tend to back their own side’s chances but to a much lesser extent at 42% vs 30%.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/03/01/where-we-stand-brexit

You were disputing what the polls were showing, I posted poll results that showed your argument to be incorrect.

You are supposed to be the polling Guru.

If you dispute polling results, and are proved wrong, it would seem to make no sense to then question the polls.

I am not saying that the polls are correct, I am just saying that they show what you said they didn't.

HAYSIE said:

A cross-party Brexit deal will not get through Parliament unless it is subject to a fresh public vote, shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer says.

Talks between Labour and ministers over leaving the EU have been going on for a month with little sign of progress.

Sir Keir told the Guardian that without a new referendum, up to 150 Labour MPs would vote against any agreement made.

Looking forward to that stance sending another load of voters over to the brexit party .

How ? There's nothing like a wave of defecting support to get the self serving wastes of space to realise that the only way to get back that support is to deliver on the promise .
    How exactly do you think they should do that?
    edited May 2019
    The Brexit Party is shameless, secretive and insane - everything that's wrong with British politics
    Nigel wants to take back democracy, but does not offer to deliver it

Nigel Farage throws furious tantrum as BBC asks him about his views on NHS

The appeal of Nigel Farage is based upon the fact that he claims responsibility for Brexit.
    The price of him is that he has no intention of owning it.
    During the 2016 referendum, the official Vote Leave campaign noticed something termed 'The Farage Effect'. Every time he appeared in public, Leave dipped in the polls. He now claims to be leading a massive surge to Leave, even though Remain has been clearly ahead since 2017.
    What Nigel says, and what exists, does not tally. He's either a one-man Brexit machine, or a liability who does more to damage the cause than save it.
    But that suits Nigel just fine. He can play the messiah, and later wash his hands of whatever unfolds.
    It's surely a coincidence that the best way to slope off is on £78,000 a year for a bare minimum of 50 days in the office, with secret expenses and a gold-plated pension, and that's exactly the job he's trying to stay in.

It's much easier to get elected to the EU Parliament, which uses proportional representation in a place that's rarely televised or accurately reported, than it is to get into Westminster, where the country demands firmer democratic support and deeper scrutiny.
    It must be another coincidence that Nigel has managed the easy version 4 times, and failed the harder test on 7 occasions.
    And although the country is pinballing towards another general election, which will do more than anything else to decide how and if we Brexit at all, if Nigel gets his way he won't be expected to take part in it.
    Instead he plans to ensconce himself and his not-much-work ethic in the EU Parliament, where he'll not be asked to do anything much except flap his gums about the amazing success of the Brexit Party.
    And it IS amazing. Because the Brexit Party is everything he claims to be against.

Um, well, hang on, er…

He says he's a democrat, but its leader is unelected. He claims to be an anti-Establishment outsider, but believes a former City trader educated at a £40,000-a-year prep school can speak for the people.
    And he has decried, for decades, the opaque funding, hypocrisy and lies of mainstream politicians, when he relies on all of those things to keep his career afloat.
    Perhaps most of all he has benefited from a reputation as a plain speaker, while others have suffered from sounding too polished by comparison.
    Yet yesterday he blustered, flustered, avoided and evaded questions in what he called "the most ridiculous interview of my life". And remember, this is a man who's conducted interviews while dressed as a drunken Rupert the Bear.

Man of the people, my ****

The party he has now founded - after the last one he founded became so racist that Danny Baker wouldn't be racist enough to join it - has no plan for how to Brexit.
    Coming as it does after three years of chaos which has arisen precisely because there is no plan, it is a bold move to claim the Brexit Party would provide any answers.
    It's especially courageous considering that any MEPs it gains won't have anything to do with Brexit. It's the government's job to handle international treaties and trade deals. However much Nigel may ask to be included, it's an MEP's job to approve, amend or reject EU laws on things like toy safety, use of pesticides, and GM food labelling. Voting for Nigel to enforce Brexit is like voting for apples when you want to make a pear pie: fairly daft.
    Some say the Brexit Party will force us to leave without a deal. To those people, it should be pointed out that MEPs can't force the UK to do anything without Parliamentary approval, as the past 3 years have shown.
    And even if they could, they'd be restarting a war on the Northern Irish border on day one.

No war is better than a bad war, you tool

His party is shameless about the career politicians, low-skilled commentators and accumulated wingnuts who form its candidates. Communists, multi-millionaires, IRA sympathisers, bonkers cat ladies and those with Mogg DNA share a platform, and a complete lack of charm.
    It is secretive about its funding. Nigel has made claims about grass roots support and six-figure donations, but despite the fact the party is required to declare funds it will not do so before the EU elections. So far just one hedge funder has admitted donating, and there have been unsubstantiated claims about anonymous PayPal donations that could be made from, say, Russia. A party that is not open about who pays for it is corruption in utero.
    But the most damaging thing the Brexit Party does is demand to "take back democracy", while being as undemocratic as it is possible to be.
    It boasts thousands of "registered supporters", who each give £25 to the cause without earning a single right to vote on its policies, leadership or attend an annual conference.

HINT: He says "take" democracy, not "deliver"

And the democracy it wants is highly selective. English democracy, which overrides that of Northern Ireland where the vast majority of 1.8million UK citizens don't want a border, don't want to reunify with Ireland, and don't particularly want to Brexit.
    You may want to Brexit. You may believe, against all the evidence, that Nigel is a nice guy. But you have to be insane to vote for him.
    Members of the Conservative and Unionist Party who vote for him are voting to dissolve the union. Voters who want their democracy back will be removing it from others. Those who despise evasive, hypocritical, self-serving politicians in Westminster will be creating more of them in Strasbourg. Those who hate the EU will be voting to make it less accountable, less democratic, and less effective.
    And those who just want to get on with Brexit will find themselves further from it.

"It's ridiculous to ask me questions!"

Because Brexit requires a plan, not soundbites. If Nigel wins, soundbites is all you'll get. There's no manifesto because he's got nothing to write in it. The last thing he needs is a promise he'll have to keep.
    If he destroys the Tory party he was once a member of - or, to be fair, finishes off a bunch of old ladies who've been handbagging each other to death for years - you'll get a Corbyn government and a People's Vote and no Brexit at all.
    And, do you know, Nigel's not stupid. He knows all this. He's just not telling you where he's leading you.
    He's the Pied Piper of Fudgin' - come with me, don't count my expenses, don't ask me to work too hard, don't ask me to fix anything. At some point he'll almost certainly start talking about "the journey" like an X Factor contestant who accidentally scraped into the live shows.

edited May 2019

You've never seen them in the same room, have you?

If the Brexit vote of 2016 was a protest, then so is a vote for the Brexit Party.

But it's a protest that will achieve nothing - no cleaner politics, no sleaze-free politicians, and no Brexit at all. It's a vote that says the EU doesn't matter, when the past 3 years have proven the opposite to all of us.
    Nigel wants to take back democracy, but he does not offer to deliver it. He wants to fight for Brexit, but is seeking election to a place where he will be beyond its reach, safe on a gravy train for another 5 years, another £390,000 in salary, and untold TV appearances.
    Twenty years after he was first elected, he is still refusing to accept responsibility for the consequences. If that appeals to you, it's not a politician you want; it's a doctor.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-party-shameless-secretive-insane-15635147
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Rees-Mogg, the Tory Brexiter and chair of the European Research Group, said most Conservative activists he met were voting for the Brexit party. As LBC reports, he said:
    Normally when you go and speak to Conservative associations and you’re not fully supportive of the leader of the party, whoever that leader happens to be, you’re not the most popular person in the room.

At the moment, nobody is saying anything supportive of the leader or of the leader’s policy.

The majority of the people at associations I’m addressing – and these are members of the party – tell me they’re voting for the Brexit party.

This is in line with the findings of a ConservativeHome survey of members last month that found that 60% of them said they would vote for the Brexit party in the Euro elections.

He said he did not see how Theresa May could continue with so little support from the members. He said:
    I don’t see how a leader can go on so removed from the support base of the party membership.
    He said he was urging people to vote for the Conservatives in the European elections for the sake of May’s successor. Referring to disillusioned Tories, he said:
    I would appeal to their loyalty, to their tradition and to say that the Conservative party will get a new leader at some point.

We want that new leader to have a base on which he or she can build and if we find that we are getting under 15% of the vote, if we are coming fifth behind the Greens, then it will be harder for that figure to rebuild.

The partiality of the BBC has become clearer and clearer. It is a pro-remain organisation, it regularly has more pro-remain interviewees on its programmes

Well spotted captain obvious
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Really?
    Would you like me to give you an exact date , or an estimation ?

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Well spotted capatain obvious
    If you realised this then it makes your previous comment silly.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

captain?
    edited May 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

It makes you a complete idiot if you think Labour haven't played a part in preventing Brexit . Initially by refusing to enter into discussions unless no deal was taken off the table .
    |I understand , that all you are really interested in doing is arguing for the sake of it , and I should have known better than to give you another opportunity to debate sensibly .
    It will not be happening again , now firmly back on ignore !
    Farage to speak at West Midlands rally amid claims that Remain voters will back The Brexit Party at European elections

Nigel Farage claimed that Remain voters will back his Brexit Party in the European elections because they are furious at the Government's failure to "honour the will of the people".
    The Brexit Party leader took part in a radio phone-in in advance of a major rally in the West Midlands this week, where he is set to call on voters to back his party in the May 23 poll.

And Mr Farage insists it will not just be Leave supporters who will show their anger at Parliament's gridlock over Brexit when the ballot boxes open.

Speaking on LBC, he said some people who voted Remain in the 2016 EU referendum would support his party next week in a bid to protect “democracy”.

He also predicted more Conservative financial backers will switch sides and donate to his party after it emerged that businessman Jeremy Hosking, a long time Tory donor, had given £200,000.

The Brexit Party is widely predicted to win big at the European elections, with the latest poll putting it on 34 per cent – more than Labour (21 per cent) and the Tories (11 per cent) combined.

Mr Farage told LBC: “It is very interesting because both Labour and Conservative MPs and vast sections of mainstream media don’t think there is any problem at all with the can being kicked down the road repeatedly on Brexit.

“One of the things I learnt sitting in that chair doing a show for LBC is you get outside the central London boroughs and there is huge anger in this country and it is not just coming from Leave voters – a lot of it is coming from Remain voters as well.”

Asked what he believed Remain supporters were angry about, he replied: “Democracy. If we don’t honour the will of the people what kind of country are we? What does the rest of the world think of us?”

He insisted Remainers will back The Brexit Party, saying: “Oh, they will. There will be Remain voters who vote for The Brexit Party.

“Indeed, we have even got a candidate standing for us in eastern England who voted Remain in the referendum.

“For us to be a credible nation, the bedrock upon which it is founded is our democratic system because that is the bond of trust that needs to exist between people and those that govern them.

The Brexit Party rally is due to take place at The Willows, Willenhall, from 7pm on Thursday.

Alongside Mr Farage, West Midlands candidates including Rupert Lowe and Martin Daubney will be in attendance.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/trending-topics/brexit/2019/05/14/farage-to-speak-at-west-midlands-rally-amid-claims-that-remain-voters-will-back-the-brexit-party-at-european-elections/

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

It makes you a complete idiot if you think Labour haven't played a part in preventing Brexit . Initially by refusing to enter into discussions unless no deal was taken off the table .
    |I understand , that all you are really interested in doing is arguing for the sake of it , and I should have known better than to give you another opportunity to debate sensibly .
    I worry about you on times.
    The Tories are the Government.
    The ERG are part of the Tory Party.
    Labour are the opposition.
    The role of the opposition parties is to oppose the Government.
    The clue is in the name.
    One of the Government roles is to pass legislation.
    The Withdrawal Bill would be an example.
    The ERG have opposed it, and they are Tories.
    They have therefore stopped their own Government passing the required legislation which allows us to leave the EU.
    The opposition parties try to collapse the Government, and get a General Election, by calling no confidence votes, blocking legislation etc etc. That is their goal.
    I worry about you at times.

Fixed your post , so it reads correctly from a grammatical sense , no need to thank me .
    And it's very sweet of you to show concern for me , ty

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Really?
    Would you like me to give you an exact date , or an estimation ?
    What I was alluding to was how votes for the Brexit Party could in any way influence Brexit.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

I also consider Labours attempts to proclude no deal as a good thing, that a majority of Parliament, and the public were not in favour of.
    edited May 2019
    EU elections: Heidi Allen calls Nigel Farage 'a coward' over live TV debate refusal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48265260
    HAYSIE said:

EU elections: Heidi Allen calls Nigel Farage 'a coward' over live TV debate refusal

Heidi Allen , should be very grateful ...she is a massive lightweight , and he would tear her apart .
    More important things for him to attend to ..you're not interested in fishing for sprats , when there are king salmon in the waters .

HAYSIE said:

Heidi Allen , should be very grateful ...she is a massive lightweight , and he would tear her apart .
    More important things for him to attend to ..you're not interested in fishing for sprats , when there are king salmon in the waters .
    That's obviously why he declined the opportunity.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Really?