You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    Only catching up on this very best of luck I am sure you will crush any targets you set
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited July 2019

Only catching up on this very best of luck I am sure you will crush any targets you set

Thanks, I seem to have plateaued these past few sessions but I'm enjoying it none the less.
  • Options
    Day 24.

Another average session with nothing of any significance to report. I was mostly clicking buttons and making calls in spots where you can normally fold if you're playing your A game. Nothing too drastic though and just a small loss for the evening.

I think I need to get out of the habit of playing for playing's sake though. Today I was up very early, had a 200 mile round trip for a meeting at work and was pretty tired by the time I got home. I really should have just relaxed and watched TV but I played poker because it was one of my free nights to play so I felt like I had to. That's all well and good but I've realised it's difficult to maintain focus, particularly in the difficult spots, when you've had a long day.

Having said all that, I'd probably still play poker because it's either that or watch soaps with the missus so it's a no brainer really.

Did enjoy sharing a final table in the 19:15 deepstack with @Angmar2626 with Myna and Dues on the rail. Thanks for the advice regarding decent content/training aids, I shall check it out.

I shall be back on the tables tomorrow night but maybe a bit later than usual as I have a blood test at 4pm and that normally results in me fainting then having to lie down for an hour, I hate needles!

16:15 - £2.20 Deepy (X)
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (X £3.76 head prizes)
    17:30 - £5.50 BH (X £6.10 head prizes)
    17:45 - £2.60 Sheriff Sat (X)
    18:00 - £7.20 Main Semi (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X £1.88 head prizes)
    19:00 - £7.70 BH (X)
    19:15 - £2.20 Deepy (5th £12.08)
    20:00 - £2.20 BH (X £0.94 head prizes)
    20:30 - £5.50 Mini (X)
    £1 Won in Freeroll

Start BR: £100
    Current: £474.57
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Day 25.

Pretty annoyed right now as I just had a shot at a really decent score in the Mini scuppered by a disconnection. I was 3/4 but had a healthy stack and a chance, then my table freezes. It takes me a short while to realise it's my internet (which is normally so reliable) that's down. I frantically try to reconnect my laptop with no joy, so I reboot my router. It's at this point that I realise I can play with 4G on my phone (it's late so it took a while for the penny to drop). By the time I'd got back to the table there was good news as we were down to 3 but I had lost over 100K and was the short stack by a big margin. I couldn't get the double up I needed and it was a frustrating 3rd.

To top it off I only took 1 head in the entire tournament (nit), I had short stacks all in a few times but lost each time, so I did try. @hhyftrftdr or Mr 2 outer as he should now be known, can testify to that.

Still it's a half decent score and it's boosted the bankroll to the highest it's been since the challenge began. Plus seeing as my broadband is with Sky I shall be expecting £50 by way of apology :)

17:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X £3.76 head prizes)
    19:00 - £7.70 BH (X)
    19:05 - £2.60 Sheriff Sat (X)
    19:15 - £3.30 Orfy (4th £13.23)
    19:15 - £2.20 Deepy (X)
    20:30 - Megastack (X)
    20:30 - £5.50 Mini (3rd £192.66 + £2.81 for the one measly head)
    21:30 - £11 BH (12th £13.43 + £7.09 head prizes)

Not sure if I will be playing tomorrow as I might be on taxi duties for the girls.

Current: £648.75

• Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Those final table software crashes or internet issues are horrifying :s

Still, great run and a very nice score all the same, vwp.

ps. please don't go back to that crazy schedule just yet though - slowly slowly catchy monkey ;)
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

Those final table software crashes or internet issues are horrifying :s

Still, great run and a very nice score all the same, vwp.

ps. please don't go back to that crazy schedule just yet though - slowly slowly catchy monkey ;)

Cheers mate. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I'd have gone on to win if I hadn't got cut off, it's more frustration at the hands I'd missed. You can't help thinking that you might have been dealt some really strong hands! Obviously the chip loss hurt too but I was still only a double up from being right back in the mix. It just wasn't to be.

I won't be going back to the crazy schedule, it will be the same.

But.....as per the challenge, I did say that if I hit the 600 mark I would have a shot at a main event and as soon as I drop below 600 there would be no more shots. It is a challenge afterall. Doubtful I'll be playing tonight and it wouldn't be a turbo main I'd have a crack at anyway. If I'm still above 600 by Wednesday then I might give it a try.
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    Hey dude, was silently railing that FT last night - thought it had your name on it until you disconnected. What a bummer. The really cool way to win those is to get zero bounties until the winning, final one. Next time, perhaps. Good to see this challenge going along nicely, glglgl.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Boom, nice work still!
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Good stuff Waller.

Look on the bright side - maybe the disconnect prevented you suffering a horrible cooler and finishing 4th instead!

I agree with Myna to a certain extent but don't be too cautious in taking some shots. I think he's waiting until his bankroll reaches £50k before buying direct into the nightly main's ;)
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886

Good stuff Waller.

I agree with Myna to a certain extent but don't be too cautious in taking some shots. I think he's waiting until his bankroll reaches £50k before buying direct into the nightly main's ;)

This made me choke on a drink :D
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    SR23 said:

...The really cool way to win those is to get zero bounties until the winning, final one...

This is also known as doing a Duesenberg
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

SR23 said:

...The really cool way to win those is to get zero bounties until the winning, final one...

This is also known as doing a Duesenberg
    Nah.

To properly 'do a Duesenberg' you need to take zero bounties but finish 2nd, despite starting with a 10/1 chip lead HU :).
  • Options
    Thanks all. Hope to see you resuming your thread in the near future @SR23

Yes @Duesenberg my shot taking part of the challenge remains the same, as long as I'm above 600 then I'll be buying into non turbo £33 Mains. I just won't be going crazy playing a load of 11s, the rest of the schedule will remain unchanged for now.

Day 26.

Tiny afternoon session as I won't be able to play anymore games tonight. No cashes but a few heads ensured the losses were minimal.

15:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    16:00 - £11 BH (X £8.44 head prizes)
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (X £7.52 head prizes)

Pretty busy for the rest of the next few nights so unlikely to be back on the tables until midweek, which will probably include the main event shot on Wednesday.

Current: £640.51
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Day 27.

So, after a few days off I was really looking forward to playing tonight. A couple of hours in and I was beginning to wonder why. Couldn't win a 70/30 never mind a flip and I was running that bad early on that I thought about not buying into the main as planned.

My head was still in a reasonable place though, so I decided to carry on with the schedule and hope for a change of fortune. Luckily things did turn around and I managed to final table the 7@7.

The main event itself was pretty uneventful and I couldn't seem to build a stack. I was plodding along, hanging in there and stuck around for a couple of hours until I lost a 60/40 against loololollo to bust in 47th. If I'd won that hand I would have had half a chance of making it into the money but it wasn't to be. No heads either (standard).

The session was saved with a 3rd place in the Mini. I'm a bit gutted to go out K7<K2 but you rarely get that far in a tournament without dishing a couple of similar beats out yourself so I can't really complain. Plus to be fair the 2 players that remained had played the far better poker on the final table.

I'm up to the £700 mark now but I'm still not sure if it's the time I'm putting in away from the tables paying dividends or if it's just a run of good luck. How much of a sample size do you need in order to really know?

16:30 - £5.50 BH (X £1.88 head prizes)
    17:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    19:00 - £7.70 BH (5th £35.50 + £6.56 head prizes)
    19:15 - £2.20 Deepy (X)
    20:00 - £2.20 BH (X £0.75 head prizes)
    20:00 - £33 Main (X)
    20:30 - £5.50 Mini (3rd £83.66 + £17.68 head prizes)

Current: £717.24
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,321
    edited July 2019
    "I'm a bit gutted to go out K7 v K2 but you rarely get that far in a tournament without dishing a couple of similar beats out yourself so I can't really complain"

What a lovely attitude. And so very true.

Well done on the result.
  • Options
    engyengy Member Posts: 723
    Some good results @waller02 enjoying the diary bud
  • Options
    Great to see everything continue in the right direction Waller.

Variance in the short term is always a factor but I really do think the famous quote of "The Harder I Work, the Luckier I Get" is applicable to few better things than poker, so I have no doubt the work you're doing on your game is contributing to those good results.

Good attitude with the ugly bad beat on the FT too. It sure beats the whinging sense of entitlement that I seem prone to :).
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

"I'm a bit gutted to go out K7 v K2 but you rarely get that far in a tournament without dishing a couple of similar beats out yourself so I can't really complain"

What a lovely attitude. And so very true.

Well done on the result.

Thanks @Tikay10.

I used to really struggle with handling bad beats, I still do during the times that the beats seem relentless, but thinking back to the times during the game where I've won AQ>AK etc. really does help.
  • Options
    engy said:

Some good results @waller02 enjoying the diary bud

Cheers mate, I'm just enjoying the good run while it lasts.
  • Options

Great to see everything continue in the right direction Waller.

Variance in the short term is always a factor but I really do think the famous quote of "The Harder I Work, the Luckier I Get" is applicable to few better things than poker, so I have no doubt the work you're doing on your game is contributing to those good results.

Good attitude with the ugly bad beat on the FT too. It sure beats the whinging sense of entitlement that I seem prone to :).

It's always difficult knowing how much a good run of results is down to improving and how much of it is down to sheer luck. The worst player in the world can go on a heater (your diary for instance). I guess if the results are still positive in a couple more months then that would be a more accurate indication of where my game is at.

Keep up the good work with your diary mate.