You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    rearenderrearender Member Posts: 151
    Have enjoyed this thread, thinking of doing something along the same lines, for years been playing but just for a laugh, any money I made I spent on bets etc instead of building a roll, but playing ok recently in MTT's going to try and take inspiration from you. Would you do anything different @waller02 from when you started?
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,016
    rearender said:

Have enjoyed this thread, thinking of doing something along the same lines, for years been playing but just for a laugh, any money I made I spent on bets etc instead of building a roll, but playing ok recently in MTT's going to try and take inspiration from you. Would you do anything different @waller02 from when you started?

Thanks @rearender . Yeah you should go for it, logging each session really does help if you want to build a roll. As for blowing poker money on sports bets, I've been guilty of that myself so I started using another site for betting and use Sky for poker only now.

The only thing I would have done differently was not jumping into every £11 game going when I hit £500 and taking a nasty hit. I'm being quite relaxed as far as brm is concerned but I did go a bit too crazy that time. Lesson learnt though.

Best of luck if you do decide to do something similar
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,819

"My playing time will be very limited for a couple of weeks now. I should be playing on Tuesday but after that I have early starts for the rest of the week, followed by a week of being on call and a week away in Wales for a course".

@waller02

If you don't mind me asking, (just swerve it if you do), what line of work are you in?
  • Options

Thanks @rearender . Yeah you should go for it, logging each session really does help if you want to build a roll. As for blowing poker money on sports bets, I've been guilty of that myself so I started using another site for betting and use Sky for poker only now.

The only thing I would have done differently was not jumping into every £11 game going when I hit £500 and taking a nasty hit. I'm being quite relaxed as far as brm is concerned but I did go a bit too crazy that time. Lesson learnt though.

Best of luck if you do decide to do something similar

Thanks @waller02 appreciate you getting back to me so quickly, I am free a lot over the next 2 weeks so this will be make or break time. Right now I have £100.02 in the account so best time to start.
    1x £5 game the mini, and I like the £2 deepstacks and the £2 8pm BH maybe even a £1.10 rebuy
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Good luck @rerarender. I'd suggest starting a thread to track progress. Being "accountable" to the wider world really helps.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Good luck @rerarender. I'd suggest starting a thread to track progress. Being "accountable" to the wider world really helps.

@Tikay10 I don't know if I am that brave is there a basement where no-one reads that I can put it?
    I am a little worried that I will now have to take my "messing around" games away micro DYM's I play to try new things lol
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    rearender said:

Tikay10 said:

@Tikay10 I don't know if I am that brave is there a basement where no-one reads that I can put it?
    I am a little worried that I will now have to take my "messing around" games away micro DYM's I play to try new things lol
    Don't worry @rearender, it's not like that here, you'll be fine. Trust me.

As many will tell you, including @waller02, making the ups & downs "public" is key to making it work, it really is.
  • Options
    @Tikay10 is right @rearender and I can see you've gone ahead and started your diary so I'll reply properly on there
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

"My playing time will be very limited for a couple of weeks now. I should be playing on Tuesday but after that I have early starts for the rest of the week, followed by a week of being on call and a week away in Wales for a course".

@waller02

If you don't mind me asking, (just swerve it if you do), what line of work are you in?

No I don't mind at all. I'm a Comms Engineer for an Electricity DNO. We basically install and maintain our own IP, Microwave Radio and Fibre network which is used to provide Intertrip Protection, network monitoring and remote switching capabilities on the 132/33/11kV electricity network.

We also provide our own corporate network at various depots as well as offering a range of ethernet solutions for 3rd party companies.

I love the job as you get to work on a wide range of equipment including Cisco routers, Transmode, Microwave and UHF radios, Multiplexers, SCADA and Fibre etc. so the work is varied. Plus I find it fascinating (although most would find it boring).

I'm on call 1 week in 8 though, so that means no poker. I only get 1-2 call outs per week on average so I'm always tempted to risk a game, but you know how sod's law works, I'd fire up a load of tables and the phone would ring within minutes.
  • Options
    Away from poker, my daughter got her GCSE results today and did fairly well. She got 6s and 5s (Bs and Cs in old money) for the lot which is a fairly solid set of results. The nit picker in me would have liked to have seen a couple of 7+s in there but she has studied hard and given it her best shot which is all any parent can ask for. Besides she has done what was required to get into college to study for her A levels in Law and Business Studies along with a level 3 diploma in Criminology, so I'm really pleased for her.

I promised I'd bung her a few quid and take her out for a slap up meal this weekend if she did well so it's cost me a few bob, but she deserves it (plus at least I get some grub out of it too).
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Nice to see the challenge motoring on nicely Waller, as well as your continued enthusiasm for the game.

Congrats on the daughters GCSE results but when on earth did they start grading them by numbers instead? Getting a '7' in something doesn't sound anywhere near as satisfying as an A in my mind!
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Nice to see the challenge motoring on nicely Waller, as well as your continued enthusiasm for the game.

Congrats on the daughters GCSE results but when on earth did they start grading them by numbers instead? Getting a '7' in something doesn't sound anywhere near as satisfying as an A in my mind!

Cheers, I've plateaued a bit recently but it's nothing to get too concerned about.

They brought the new grading system in a couple of years ago, I have no idea why. We spoke to the teachers about it during parent's evening and they think it's just as ridiculous as the rest of us.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,639
    edited August 2019
    waller02 said:

Away from poker, my daughter got her GCSE results today and did fairly well. She got 6s and 5s (Bs and Cs in old money) for the lot which is a fairly solid set of results. The nit picker in me would have liked to have seen a couple of 7+s in there but she has studied hard and given it her best shot which is all any parent can ask for. Besides she has done what was required to get into college to study for her A levels in Law and Business Studies along with a level 3 diploma in Criminology, so I'm really pleased for her.

I promised I'd bung her a few quid and take her out for a slap up meal this weekend if she did well so it's cost me a few bob, but she deserves it (plus at least I get some grub out of it too).

My daughter just had hers she's done very well, she told me she got a 8 which is a star in English language, i told her she should have got top marks considering she speaks bleeding English
    She's done so well she only has to do a two year course rather than three, winner
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    stokefc said:

waller02 said:

My daughter just had hers she's done very well, she told me she got a 8 which is a star in English language, i told her she should have got top marks considering she speaks bleeding English
    She's done so well she only has to do a two year course rather than three, winner
    Nice one mate an 8 is a cracking result. Does she get her brains from her mother then? :) What course is you daughter doing?
  • Options
    waller02 said:

stokefc said:

waller02 said:

Nice one mate an 8 is a cracking result. Does she get her brains from her mother then? :) What course is you daughter doing?
    she got her looks from her mother for sure got her brains from me obviously ;)
    she,s going into teaching , primary school level but who knows where life leads
    heres a pic with her bf
  • Options
    jesus these pictures are big f*****g massive
  • Options
    Great photos Sean. Every reason to be a proud Dad mate. Yeah it's exciting times for them at that age isn't it, they've got the world at their feet. Just makes us feel old eh!
  • Options
    rearender said:

Tikay10 said:

Don't worry @rearender, it's not like that here, you'll be fine. Trust me.
    waller02 said:

Tikay10 said:

@waller02

No I don't mind at all. I'm a Comms Engineer for an Electricity DNO. We basically install and maintain our own IP, Microwave Radio and Fibre network which is used to provide Intertrip Protection, network monitoring and remote switching capabilities on the 132/33/11kV electricity network.

We also provide our own corporate network at various depots as well as offering a range of ethernet solutions for 3rd party companies.

I love the job as you get to work on a wide range of equipment including Cisco routers, Transmode, Microwave and UHF radios, Multiplexers, SCADA and Fibre etc. so the work is varied. Plus I find it fascinating (although most would find it boring).

I'm on call 1 week in 8 though, so that means no poker. I only get 1-2 call outs per week on average so I'm always tempted to risk a game, but you know how sod's law works, I'd fire up a load of tables and the phone would ring within minutes.
    @waller02

I think that's quite fascinating, though once it got beyond DNO (google told me Distribution Network Operator) most of it went over my head.

So you work for one of these presumably.....

Most of the stuff you list, along with the basics such as electricity, gas & water supply, sewage systems, & Wifi are those things we all, or mostly, take for granted.......until something goes wrong, then we all hoot & holler something shocking.
  • Options

@waller02

Congrats to your daughter on those results.

Also pleased to see @stokefc 's daughter did well. Deffo must be the Mother that stamps the stock. .
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yes at @Tikay10 you're right. The DNOs are responsible for for all voltages from 132kV down to the LV supply to your home. So if you live in London and get your electricity from EDF for example, then EDF would pay UKPN a duos charge to supply your electricity as it is UKPN who own all the substations, underground and overhead cables in that area.

That's how it works in a nutshell. Each DNO is regulated by ofgem, to make sure they aren't overcharging customers and power cuts etc are at an acceptable level.

Anything above 132kV is the responsibility of National Grid.