You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
edited August 2019 in Poker Chat
Good Morning.

For the past year or so now I've really been struggling to find the motivation to play poker. In fact I have only recently started playing again after a few months away from the tables due to life, buying a house and the fact I was growing bored of the game. It's only been a few weeks back at the tables and I'm already starting to lose my enthusiasm. This is not good because I used to love this game and there was a time when I couldn't wait to get home from work and fire up the laptop.

So I have decided to set myself a challenge to try and reignite the spark and get me back to really enjoying poker again. It's not an easy challenge, it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy and unless I get off to a decent start the challenge could be a short one.

I'm starting with £100 but playing most mtts 5.50 and below (apart from Turbos and rebuys). I will more than likely fail this challenge as there is little to no brm being applied, but it will be a laugh, help me really focus on every decision and importantly it will give me a reason to actually want to sit down and play.

If (and that's a big if) I am fortunate enough to get to £250 then I'll starting throwing in a couple of 11s and so on. If (which is the most likely scenario) I fail the challenge then at least I've had fun trying and I can redeposit my original balance and go back to a more conventional method of building a roll.

This could get off to a flyer or be over in a couple of days. Looking forward to the challenge though.

Have a good weekend and see you at the tables.

Comments

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Good luck Rik Ryan B)

• Options
    edited June 2019
    MAXALLY said:

Good luck Rik Ryan B)

Cheers mate. For such a big lad he has the voice of an angel. It's always been a true honour to share surnames with the legend.
  • Options
    gr0wapeargr0wapear Member Posts: 93
    good luck, will keep an eye on the blog :)
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Hi mate, gl with this!

Sounds like you know this already but with that BRM approach the most likely outcome is bustoville imo.

I started the same thing about a month ago - up to £800 now, won't post a bragging screenshot (for once...) but I reset my scope for the start of the challenge if you're curious. Think 500 is minimum to be thinking about the 11s, and I'd definitely be mixing in a load of 2.20s, cheap deepstacks, etc with the 5.50s when you start out to lower your ABI :)

Glgl though - looking forward to updates!

• Options

Hi mate, gl with this!

Sounds like you know this already but with that BRM approach the most likely outcome is bustoville imo.

I started the same thing about a month ago - up to £800 now, won't post a bragging screenshot (for once...) but I reset my scope for the start of the challenge if you're curious. Think 500 is minimum to be thinking about the 11s, and I'd definitely be mixing in a load of 2.20s, cheap deepstacks, etc with the 5.50s when you start out to lower your ABI :)

Glgl though - looking forward to updates!

Yes mate, under normal conditions I would always go with a 50 buyins rule. This is just for the challenge, I want it to be difficult.

I will be playing the deepys alongside the 5.50 BHs. If I did start well I'm not going to start going even wilder with the brm. For instance at 250 I'd start adding the 9:30 £11 to schedule. If I got to 500 I'd play the odd 22 and so on. But I'd also drop back down when I took a hit.

This first 100 is the real test as even if I drop to 20 quid I'll still be playing some 5.50 BHs.

I know the most likely outcome, but it is going to be fun trying and that's what I want, I want the enjoyment back. If I make a few quid it's a bonus and if I fail its cost me the price of a night out.

• Options
    gr0wapear said:

good luck, will keep an eye on the blog :)

Thanks mate, could be a short one.

Gl with your challenge too, you're off to a good start.
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    waller02 said:

Good Morning.

For the past year or so now I've really been struggling to find the motivation to play poker. In fact I have only recently started playing again after a few months away from the tables due to life, buying a house and the fact I was growing bored of the game. It's only been a few weeks back at the tables and I'm already starting to lose my enthusiasm. This is not good because I used to love this game and there was a time when I couldn't wait to get home from work and fire up the laptop.

So I have decided to set myself a challenge to try and reignite the spark and get me back to really enjoying poker again. It's not an easy challenge, it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy and unless I get off to a decent start the challenge could be a short one.

I'm starting with £100 but playing most mtts 5.50 and below (apart from Turbos and rebuys). I will more than likely fail this challenge as there is little to no brm being applied, but it will be a laugh, help me really focus on every decision and importantly it will give me a reason to actually want to sit down and play.

If (and that's a big if) I am fortunate enough to get to £250 then I'll starting throwing in a couple of 11s and so on. If (which is the most likely scenario) I fail the challenge then at least I've had fun trying and I can redeposit my original balance and go back to a more conventional method of building a roll.

This could get off to a flyer or be over in a couple of days. Looking forward to the challenge though.

Have a good weekend and see you at the tables.

This is very familiar...

gl with it buddy, hope you hit the ground running.
  • Options
    KerrnalKerrnal Member Posts: 132
    I think if you pick and choose your 5.50s you should be able to do this. The 300 and 400 bh are good value . I look forward to see how you do and good luck.
  • Options
    Ty both.

@MynaFrett I get the impression you also have a love/hate relationship with the game? It's not good is it, I really want to get the bug back, sometimes think I have then it fizzles out again.

Hoping this challenge can change that. I was actually itching to get playing today so that's something I suppose. A good start is crucial though or it will all be over in a couple of sessions.

Just wanted to try something new.

I've reg for all tonight's games and if I brick the lot it will be a significant dent lol.

• Options
    Soundtrack of the session - Pearl Jam playlist (Black is one of the best songs ever to grace the planet.....FACT)

Will update tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,174
    waller02 said:

Soundtrack of the session - Pearl Jam playlist (Black is one of the best songs ever to grace the planet.....FACT)

Will update tomorrow.

Don't be silly.

GL with the challenge though, think you'll beast it.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Lets hope you have an even flow to the evenings proceedings and the challenge is still alive by tomorrow.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,031
    Best of luck with your challenge Ryan. I think you will do well and get the buzz back that you have lost (or should that be misplaced?)
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,632
    gl Ry i,ll see you around tonight i,ll probably donate :)
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

waller02 said:

Will update tomorrow.

Don't be silly.

GL with the challenge though, think you'll beast it.

Ty Tikay, need a really good start, then who knows.

Enjoy Vegas, it's raining here :(
  • Options

Lets hope you have an even flow to the evenings proceedings and the challenge is still alive by tomorrow.

More often than not you really make me laugh, ul on this occasion, but I applaud your effort.
  • Options
    Cheers @SidV79 and @stokefc see you both at the tables. Be gentle!
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,031
    Yup, see you in the Orfy Ryan...good luck at the tables mate
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Best of luck with this Waller.

Motivation has been one of my biggest challenges in poker over the last couple of years and doing challenges on here with some level of public accountability has really helped, as well as making poker a little more fun too :)
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Bump ;)