You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    bbMike said:

Hi Ryan, popped in to see how you're getting on lately. You seem a bit down about hitting a stale patch - I had a bit of spare time (and I'm quite the geek) so I pulled a chart for you. It's number of days across x, showing your bankroll as you've updated on here. It's clearer if we chart results by number of tournaments rather than by day, but I don't have that much spare time :)

At the end you'll see a branch. I firmly believe you should be counting your seat at a £220 cash win, it doesn't make sense to put the cost value of the sats if you're not going to count when you win the seat. I'd also argue (without overly massaging the figures) that you can disregard what happens in Notts and keep this total as your online profits, particularly as it'll be your first time out live.

You'll also see you're only on day 45 of your diary (in terms of number of days played), and you've already had to up your target twice! You've done great so far and there's no reason to start being over-critical or making frustrations calls etc. Relax back into it you'll be fine.

The other graph is your total Sharky (not sure if I'm allowed to post that actually...), the highlighted box in green is your diary dates - that's nearly 25% increase to lifetime profit, in 2.2% of lifetime games (ok data not completely clean here but again, time!) and without being overly aggressive with bankroll. It's pretty good mate! Keep looking at spots you could improve, but don't get too worried about results just yet.

Anyway, just wanted to highlight these as in my mind there's no need to be lacking confidence as you go into your next games, and maybe highlighting some work needed on the mental side of the game. GLGL! Oh, and see you in Notts ;)

That’s great work Mike

And def include the seat Ryan
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213

Great piece of work by @bbMike there.

Raising in "Live" play? The advice by all the others is spot on, they are all valid means of raising. the key thing is verbalise it first.

"1,500 to go" (or any of the other variations suggested) works, but wait till it's your turn to act, wait until the Dealer catches your eye, and verbalise BEFORE putting your chips in.

Oh, & stack your chips with the highest denoms at the top &/or in front of your stack. It's really douchey to hide your large denom chips.

A "Big Blind Ante" is used, which some Sky Poker struggle with, as Sky Poker don't have Antes. (The software is not good enough to include Antes or a Time Bank, but apparently good enough to be able favour players like Matt Bates & Co & "set the RNG high" when so desired. Go figure). The BB Ante comes in at Level 5, so try to remember to put your ante in. Place the ante in SEPARATE to your Big Blind. The Ante is usually placed nearer the middle of the table.

Don't have exact change for your Blind or Ante? Don't worry, you do NOT need to make change with other players. If you need to put a 600 Blind in & only have a 1,000 denom chip, place the 1,000 chip in front of you & wait for the Dealer to make change.

Finally, it's meant to be fun, so relax, chat, chill & enjoy.
  • Options

Just noticed that @bbMike qualified for SPT Notts last night, so that's @waller02 sorted with a "buddy" at Notts.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Sure. I’m no live pro by any means, but I have made all the mistakes you’d be worried about haha. Any questions I’d be more than happy to help.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for the advice all, I'm sure I'll pick things up after a few hands. Also, thanks for the heads up regarding stacking your chips @Tikay10, I wasn't aware of that.

Great post @bbmike thanks. I think you're spot on, I am being over critical. The mental side of my game certainly could be better and it has improved over the years, but my confidence levels still seem to be dented after a couple of bad nights. The chart you have produced has shown me that there is no need to be concerned at all. I guess there will always be break even/small losing periods and I need to handle them a bit better.
    BTW,I'm sure it's fine to post my sharky graph, I've opted in so it's public info afterall.

I may try writing future updates the morning after the games as I'm always over any frustrations by then. We all run bad at times and @Essexphil bubbling a Malta package after flopping top set certainly put's things into perspective, as nasty as it gets.

Finally, well done on booking your Notts seat, was a bit strange really as I actually silently railed the semi ft last night, then the same night you pop up on my diary. I had to have a little chuckle on the bubble when Rose, who was sitting with 24k compared to the 5-3k the rest of you had, typed "I hate bubble time".

Thanks again all and no doubt bump into you in Notts.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Ha yes Rose was locked from a way out and was happy for us shorties to scrap it out. Was good fun, though less fun if I’d have bubbled of course :)
  • Options
    Day 45.

Same old story last night. Just can't get anything going at the minute.

I'm on call all week this week so normally I can't play, but the plan is to single table £5.50 BHs as if I do get a call out then all I'm losing is a fiver, plus it gives me chance to really focus on one table and try to sort my game out.

I will be logging the result of each game as usual and will give a full update next Monday.

Last night's tale of woe:

12:30 - £5.50 BH (X £6.56 head prizes)
    15:30 - £5.50 BH (X £3.76 head prizes)
    15:30 - £5.20 Major Sat (Semi seat)
    18:00 - Major Semi (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    19:00 - £7.70 BH (X £2.63 head prizes)
    19:30 - £33 BH (X)
    20:15 - £11 BH (X)
    20:30 - £11 Mini (X)
    £6 Sheriff All ins

Start BR: £100
    Current: £1054.21
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    bbMike said:

Ha yes Rose was locked from a way out and was happy for us shorties to scrap it out. Was good fun, though less fun if I’d have bubbled of course :)

I'm assuming two things?

@IrishRose metaphorically put her coat on and stood up every time she shoved?
    She shoved(and won every time of course) with pocket 99"s

WP guys and Rose!!
  • Options

@waller02

"I'm on call all week this week so normally I can't play, but the plan is to single table £5.50 BHs as if I do get a call out then all I'm losing is a fiver, plus it gives me chance to really focus on one table and try to sort my game out.

I will be logging the result of each game as usual and will give a full update next Monday.

Last night's tale of woe:"

I really do think you are over-reacting to short-term variance.

Your results suggest you are doing just fine, & yet here you are "need to sort my game out", "tale of woe" & so on.

Think you need to look from a wider perspective. A few bad nights does not even remotely suggest there are any problems with your game which require tinkering.

It's good to keep self-analysing, but don't be too harsh on yourself just because of a few disappointing sessions.

I'm sure that better players than me will endorse this.

• Options

Oh, & single-tabling is likely to make things seem far worse than they really are (or far better) due to variance. A single MTT is meaningless.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Tikay10 said:

@waller02

"I'm on call all week this week so normally I can't play, but the plan is to single table £5.50 BHs as if I do get a call out then all I'm losing is a fiver, plus it gives me chance to really focus on one table and try to sort my game out.

Your results suggest you are doing just fine, & yet here you are "need to sort my game out", "tale of woe" & so on.

Think you need to look from a wider perspective. A few bad nights does not even remotely suggest there are any problems with your game which require tinkering.

It's good to keep self-analysing, but don't be too harsh on yourself just because of a few disappointing sessions.

I'd love to endorse this, unfortunately, due to my poker playing ability, I can't..... :#
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited September 2019
    Tikay10 said:

@waller02

Ouch!
    Don’t read my thread
    It’s just possible that i do this from time to time :)

You’ll be fine Waller
    Your game is very strong
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

@waller02

Ouch!
    Don’t read my thread

You’ll be fine Waller
    Your game is very strong
    @Jac35

I never do. Does anyone?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The tale of woe was slightly tongue in cheek. I know I'm certainly not into downswing territory yet but it has made me take a look at my game, which I think is a good thing as it's all too easy to blame results on purely running bad. My mental game isn't the strongest, I know that, but I'm not feeling quite as frustrated as it may appear, it's always tricky describing a bad session without coming across that way. I'm still enjoying playing......honestly.

As for the one tabling this week. I'm mainly doing that because it's either that or nothing. Being on call means my phone could ring anytime and I have to drop everything and go to work, so I can't have a load of tables on the go. I'm ok with losing a fiver and I can't go the full week without playing.

Just so I'm not constantly sounding like a miserable sod I may as a well mention the final table from my game last night now 😁....but there will be a full update on all games played next Monday.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Would cash games be an option for you?

They seem like the perfect solution to those evenings where you're wanting to play but are stymied by the possibility of being called in to work at a moments notice. They may not have the overall excitement factor of MTT's, but there are still plenty of terrible players in them who'll be happy to donate to your bankroll challenge and they can also be a useful training aide for the early stages of MTT play too.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Would cash games be an option for you?

They seem like the perfect solution to those evenings where you're wanting to play but are stymied by the possibility of being called in to work at a moments notice. They may not have the overall excitement factor of MTT's, but there are still plenty of terrible players in them who'll be happy to donate to your bankroll challenge and they can also be a useful training aide for the early stages of MTT play too.

I've had a dabble numerous times over the years and the fact of the matter is that I was never particularly good at cash games. I never really enjoyed the games either, even the buzz of winning a big pot never came close to the feeling of winning an MTT, no matter how small the buy in.

Tbh, I was more than happy just sat there playing the one table last night. I could watch TV whilst playing etc.
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

@waller02

Ouch!
    Don’t read my thread

You’ll be fine Waller
    Your game is very strong
    Haha.

Your thread is always an entertaining read. At least you're funny when you're having a moan.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    With me being on call I single tabled a few MTTs as planned. Not as many as I would have liked as I had a busier week than expected.

As I haven't played a proper session I won't be classing this as day 46, just more of a mini update.

The games actually went quite well, cashing in 3 including a win which has given the bankroll a welcome boost. I won't be playing anymore today as it's an afternoon of football, so I'll post the results now.

Mon 16th
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (5th £15.86 + £4.22 head prizes)

Fri 20th
    17:30 - £5.50 BH (1st £65.55 + £40.97 head prizes)

Sat 21st
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (9th £8.40 + £9.98 head prizes)

Sun 22nd
    11:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    12:30 - £5.50 BH (X)

Will be able to play normal sessions again from tomorrow but will most likely be back on the tables on Tuesday.

Start BR: £100
    Current: £1171.69
  • Options

Love these updates Ryan, keep them coming.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Tikay10 said:

Love these updates Ryan, keep them coming.

Thanks @Tikay10. Playing a small session tonight to ease myself back into the routine.

Looking forward to it.