You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    2121 Member Posts: 16
    Tikay10 said:

21 said:

waller02 said:

21 said:

waller02 said:

Thanks all for the kind words. It certainly was a great feeling last night, not just the money which is obv nice but also just the buzz of winning. That's what we play for.

The tournament itself was a series of ups and downs. I got off to a pretty bad start and had lost half my stack early on. I wasn't going to rebuy so I thought it was going to be a short attempt. But things started to improve, I got a double up and began to build a stack. I then lost a big pot AK v AK when the oppo hit the flush which left me with 11bb and at this point I thought it wasn't going to be my night. The same guy then doubled me back up when my AT beat his AK to which he typed "Surprise, Surprise" in the chat box, he had obviously forgotten the AK clash literally 5 minutes earlier. My hands started to hold, and I'd built a top 5 stack with 50 or so left. I just felt like I could win by this point or at least make the final table, I was hitting flops, winning hands without showdown and maintaining a top 5 stack as we got closer to the money.

With 12 players left the run good came to an abrupt end when I got 3 outed on the river for a huge chunk of my stack and I thought my chance had gone. I kept my head, managed to claw things back and got to the final table as one of the chip leaders. At this point I said to Andy that I felt I was going to win. I proceeded to run like God. I had over half the chips in play 3 handed and it was mine to lose. If I'm being honest I didn't play great when we were down to 3 and it was more a case of running good rather than playing good which enabled me to go on to win. I guess we all need a bit of luck to get over the line sometimes though.

@chicknMelt I can't thank you enough for everything you have done. Enjoyed every single lesson and more importantly it has given me a renewed love of the game. Much appreciated Andy thanks.

Thanks to @LmfaoAllin and @PKRPar who popped up in chat to say gl. Apologies for looking ignorant but my heart was going ten to the dozen and I was focussing on the game.

I have permission from the missus to leave the winnings in my account so the 5k is in sight. Hopefully I can get there and then push onto the next, and probably toughest part of the challenge, which is getting to 10k.

Ended up being a bit of a waffle, apologies.

Start BR: £100
    Current: £4532.35

Mate don’t do yourself a disservice - you played great and any run good you had you made for yourself. Was an absolute headache having you on my left from about a dozen or so out. Glad you got the win and happy the money went to a decent chap 👍🏼

Great to see you winning the Main last last. Well played, showing class both on and off the tables.
    Appreciate that mate. I defo had a lot of luck, table draw is massive in late stages of the majors. So many good mtt players on sky!

@21

Very well done on winning Tuesday's Gold Rush Mr 21.
    Thanks Tikay. After two seconds in majors the previous week it was a relief to close one! In all 3 I finalled I made last few tables of the mini so had a sweat for the jackpot a few times!

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    21 said:

Tikay10 said:

21 said:

waller02 said:

21 said:

waller02 said:

Thanks all for the kind words. It certainly was a great feeling last night, not just the money which is obv nice but also just the buzz of winning. That's what we play for.

The tournament itself was a series of ups and downs. I got off to a pretty bad start and had lost half my stack early on. I wasn't going to rebuy so I thought it was going to be a short attempt. But things started to improve, I got a double up and began to build a stack. I then lost a big pot AK v AK when the oppo hit the flush which left me with 11bb and at this point I thought it wasn't going to be my night. The same guy then doubled me back up when my AT beat his AK to which he typed "Surprise, Surprise" in the chat box, he had obviously forgotten the AK clash literally 5 minutes earlier. My hands started to hold, and I'd built a top 5 stack with 50 or so left. I just felt like I could win by this point or at least make the final table, I was hitting flops, winning hands without showdown and maintaining a top 5 stack as we got closer to the money.

With 12 players left the run good came to an abrupt end when I got 3 outed on the river for a huge chunk of my stack and I thought my chance had gone. I kept my head, managed to claw things back and got to the final table as one of the chip leaders. At this point I said to Andy that I felt I was going to win. I proceeded to run like God. I had over half the chips in play 3 handed and it was mine to lose. If I'm being honest I didn't play great when we were down to 3 and it was more a case of running good rather than playing good which enabled me to go on to win. I guess we all need a bit of luck to get over the line sometimes though.

@chicknMelt I can't thank you enough for everything you have done. Enjoyed every single lesson and more importantly it has given me a renewed love of the game. Much appreciated Andy thanks.

Thanks to @LmfaoAllin and @PKRPar who popped up in chat to say gl. Apologies for looking ignorant but my heart was going ten to the dozen and I was focussing on the game.

I have permission from the missus to leave the winnings in my account so the 5k is in sight. Hopefully I can get there and then push onto the next, and probably toughest part of the challenge, which is getting to 10k.

Ended up being a bit of a waffle, apologies.

Current: £4532.35

Mate don’t do yourself a disservice - you played great and any run good you had you made for yourself. Was an absolute headache having you on my left from about a dozen or so out. Glad you got the win and happy the money went to a decent chap 👍🏼

Great to see you winning the Main last last. Well played, showing class both on and off the tables.
    Appreciate that mate. I defo had a lot of luck, table draw is massive in late stages of the majors. So many good mtt players on sky!

@21

Very well done on winning Tuesday's Gold Rush Mr 21.
    Thanks Tikay. After two seconds in majors the previous week it was a relief to close one! In all 3 I finalled I made last few tables of the mini so had a sweat for the jackpot a few times!

@21

Great stuff, hope that elusive Jackpot comes your way soon.
  • Options
    flaminstarflaminstar Member Posts: 1
    hello all,

Just like to say this has been a great thread to read from start to current, and well done to Waller02 on his achievements so far. Plenty of cracking information on the ups n downs and camaraderie of being on this site. Look forward to seeing some of you on the tables

Cheers
  • Options

hello all,

Just like to say this has been a great thread to read from start to current, and well done to Waller02 on his achievements so far. Plenty of cracking information on the ups n downs and camaraderie of being on this site. Look forward to seeing some of you on the tables

Cheers

Lovely post @flaminstar, & welcome to the Forum.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021

hello all,

Cheers

Yeah very kind words, thank you very much and welcome to the forum (spoiler alert, this week's update is looking pretty grim unless I can save it over the next 2 nights).

You're right about the camaraderie on here, it really is a great forum. The best in fact.

Thanks for posting mate.
  • Options
    What a difference a week makes. It's been mostly painful so far and I'm really hoping for a repeat of last Friday's session to get me out of a -300ish week. Now the average buy has been ramped up, and I'm having my first sustained attempt at any MTT £33 and below, I'm aware that swings like these are normal. It still stings a bit though.

My gut feeling at this stage is that I'm not competent enough to make consistent profit at mid stakes, particularly the 22s which are generally quite tough. I was expecting that this might be the case though and just because I won a main last week I wasn't naive enough to think I'd cracked it. I'm sticking with the current schedule for now as I'm still enjoying the challenge, a winning session would be nice though!

If my br dips to 3.5k then I shall be re-evaluating and lowering the abi by dropping some 22s.

Fingers crossed for tonight or the full update tomorrow won't be pretty!

Have a great weekend all and good luck to anybody playing the SPT in Manchester.
  • Options

@waller02

We only know you from your Forum Posts Ryan, but we can all see that you undersell yourself. As I'm sure Melty has told you, keep doing the right things & you'll be just fine. But even Melty & Co are not good enough to overcome the short-term vagaries of variance.

I love the psychology of poker & poker players. Some folks are full of it, "I'm the best", others have fragile confidence & when they do win they GIQ.

You'll be just fine, & I'd bet the shop on that.

GL tonight & over the weekend mate.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@waller02

We only know you from your Forum Posts Ryan, but we can all see that you undersell yourself. As I'm sure Melty has told you, keep doing the right things & you'll be just fine. But even Melty & Co are not good enough to overcome the short-term vagaries of variance.

I love the psychology of poker & poker players. Some folks are full of it, "I'm the best", others have fragile confidence & when they do win they GIQ.

Thanks. It doesn't take much for me to start doubting myself, that's just who I am as a person in general. I don't really tilt much anymore, I used to a lot but I can brush it off these days. The confidence side of the game definitely needs some improvement though.

Have a great weekend in Manchester, I'm looking forward to the updates.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Tikay10 said:

@waller02

Thanks. It doesn't take much for me to start doubting myself, that's just who I am as a person in general. I don't really tilt much anymore, I used to a lot but I can brush it off these days. The confidence side of the game definitely needs some improvement though.

Have a great weekend in Manchester, I'm looking forward to the updates.

Nail & head. We are on the poker table exactly the same as we are in real life. Some of us are full of ourselves, others not so much.
  • Options
    Weekly Update.

As per the previous post, it has been a pretty dreadful week and I was hoping that tonight could claw back some of the previous losses. I have had a winning session for a change but not by a huge amount. I did make 3 final tables this evening including a frustrating 5th in the 7@7 and an even more frustrating 2nd in the 18:30 BH, both of which are included in @PKRPar bingo challenge.

I'm just happy to have stopped the rot and I'm hoping that it was a sign that the tide might be turning.

I'm going to buy a desktop PC this month as I'm having to miss games that I would have liked to have played but couldn't as my old laptop can't handle any more than 6 tables. Thanks to all who posted on the thread I started asking for advice.

I will be having the night off tomorrow but back on Sunday as I have scraped enough points for the freeroll, although it's a big ask from a 2k starting stack.

Current: £4274.68

• Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    Glad these bingo challenges are proving difficult ;)

Keep it up though, always remember where you started from! That BR gotta help with that :)
  • Options
    PKRPar said:

Glad these bingo challenges are proving difficult ;)

Keep it up though, always remember where you started from! That BR gotta help with that :)

Yeah wouldn't be any fun if it was easy.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I am seriously excited about going to Cheltenham for the Champion Chase now! It looks like it's going to be the race of the festival. I love Altior and it was great to see him back just now. Still got the gear change on the run in and I think (and hope) he will have enough up that Cheltenham hill for the hatrick.
  • Options
    DEL560DEL560 Member Posts: 487
    Great you are doing weekly updates Ryan! Your Poker journey is a inspiration!
  • Options
    DEL560DEL560 Member Posts: 487
    Tikay10 what on earth is GIQ?
  • Options
    DEL560 said:

Thanks Del, appreciate that. It can be tough writing about losing streaks but on the whole the diary helps keep me motivated. There are some great diaries on here now, as well as @Jac35's and I'm hoping we can all reach our targets.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Ugh.

So annoyed with myself. Won a seat into the Major, which I hardly ever play, and was really looking forward to it. End up overplaying AKo 90bb or so deep and it's gg.

Hand below and would appreciate any thoughts. Given we are so deep I think I prefer flatting the 3b and taking a flop. Can/should I 4b fold?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    poofSmall blind60.0060.006591.25
    BrayCorp83Big blind120.00180.0011581.25
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • K
    waller02Raise240.00420.009065.00
    Dewi-coolCall240.00660.0010610.00
    DoyleBrunRaise1080.001740.0010090.00
    StayOrGoFold
    poofFold
    BrayCorp83Fold
    waller02Raise3960.005700.005105.00
    Dewi-coolFold
    DoyleBrunRaise10080.0015780.0010.00
    waller02All-in5105.0020885.000.00
    DoyleBrunUnmatched bet1855.0019030.001865.00
    waller02Show
    • A
    • K
    DoyleBrunShow
    • K
    • K
    Flop
    Turn
    River
    DoyleBrunWinTwo Pairs, Kings and 8s19030.0020895.00

• Options
    waller02 said:

DEL560 said:

Thanks Del, appreciate that. It can be tough writing about losing streaks but on the whole the diary helps keep me motivated. There are some great diaries on here now, as well as @Jac35's and I'm hoping we can all reach our targets.

Excellent.

• Options
    DEL560 said:

Tikay10 what on earth is GIQ?

@DEL560

GIQ = Get It Quietly
  • Options
    I thought I might have been completing the 2nd part of the challenge tonight when I was sitting 3/18 in the £33 BH.....but I bust in 11th.

Still +£120ish on the night so can't really complain.