You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Happy Birthday for yesterday! :)

Sounds brutal but good on you for posting about it - tough to do
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited February 2020

Happy Birthday for yesterday! :)

Sounds brutal but good on you for posting about it - tough to do

I almost didn't, trust me haha

I have no problem with losing a chunk of the roll due to bad play or variance, but to lose due to plain stupidity was a bitter pill to swallow this morning.

Ah well....lesson learnt the hard way!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    Happy Birthday Ryan

HeadsUp4Rollz? ;)
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,032
    Happy Birthday Ryan, best of luck (if playing) tonight
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

Glad you had a great memorable birthday, Ryan. Assuming you can remember any of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Tikay10 said:

Glad you had a great memorable birthday, Ryan. Assuming you can remember any of it.

I'm trying to find the funny side and I probably will eventually. It's not so much the money, it's more an annoyance with myself for getting in such a state. I really didn't want to post about it at all to be honest, but then what would be the point in having the diary in the first place.

Sometimes you've just gotta hold.your hands up and admit you've been an idiot!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    waller02 said:

Tikay10 said:

I'm trying to find the funny side and I probably will eventually. It's not so much the money, it's more an annoyance with myself for getting in such a state. I really didn't want to post about it at all to be honest, but then what would be the point in having the diary in the first place.

Give yourself a break mate

You had a drink on your birthday. And trust me, nothing you said offended anyone in the slightest

You’re one of the good guys

I’m sure Summers is glad he didn’t take you on at £200 heads up now.
    Seeing as he lost the £1 game to you 😉

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Jac35 said:

waller02 said:

Tikay10 said:

Give yourself a break mate

You had a drink on your birthday. And trust me, nothing you said offended anyone in the slightest

You’re one of the good guys

I’m sure Summers is glad he didn’t take you on at £200 heads up now.
    Seeing as he lost the £1 game to you 😉

• Options
    Don't really know what to say.

I've been so annoyed with myself all week for last weeks blow up and really wanted to have a decent week and rebuild. I've had the worst week of the challenge, bar the spin ups.

Tonight was horrible and I got to the point where I didn't even know if it was me or variance. Can't blame alcohol tonight either. This is a diary low for sure, it's not good thinking that I'm just going to switch on the pc next session and blow another 100 odd quid

I'm-170, questioning every decision I make and quite frankly not enjoying myself, which is a worry.

BR: £4020.35. Looks like instead of getting to 5k I'm gonna dip below 4k.....it doesn't look like a big deal but the 1k jumps weigh greatly on my mind, especially when it's my own fault for a complete lack of discipline.

Next update next Friday.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    The spins thing has happened. Build a bridge and get over it! You have to move on quick from it or it will just play on your mind and consume you. Its annoying but does it actually matter? It doesn't effect the games you can play and its money you can afford to lose (I assume).

I would guess most players have had a time where they played too high or played when high or drunk or on tilt etc etc lost money and regretted it the next morning.

I get the feeling confidence issues are mainly down to you thinking about balance/thinking back about birthdaygate.

On an unrelated item, if someone can think of a better name than birthdaygate it would be appreciated!

Thinking maybe

The ginspin
    Spin Down
  • Options
    #GinUps
    #SpinAndTonic
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

It's a temporary crisis of confidence Ryan, caused partly by that night "off the rails", which won't happen again, & partly by the great Gods of variance, over which you have no control.

Buckle up, the ride gets bumpy sometimes, but long-term you will win.
  • Options
    Ul Walski.

Been having similar struggles myself in relation to hitting a monetary goal. So much is just out of our control though with MTTs. It's been helping me just trying to focus on the decision-making aspect rather than the outcome. If you're rolled for the games you're playing then it doesn't matter too much whether you win or lose in a session, week, or longer.

It's still annoying, but it's less annoying :)
  • Options
    I really need to wait until the dust has settled before doing the update. Last night was painful but it happens to everyone. I need to learn to deal with bad sessions a bit better, I do try to shrug it off but it's just the way I am.

I think @Angmar2626 is right, I should just focus on my decision making and not worry about things I can't control.

There were always going to be rocky patches so I'll knuckle down and deal with it.

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Don't be too hard on yourself over the birthday blast-off. Many of us have done similar or worse and, when it comes to climbing the stakes and taking shots at bigger games, having a little bit of an inner degen is probably a good thing. Those who are far too cautious in poker will never really get anywhere so your inner demon may serve you well in the long-run, provided you don't feed it gin too often of course ;).

Fwiw, I really like raw nature of your immediate post-session updates. It makes your diary an awful lot more human and gives a true insight into the mental roller coaster that poker can be. Life would get generally quite dull if all our communications were preceded by a period of quiet reflection!
  • Options

Don't be too hard on yourself over the birthday blast-off. Many of us have done similar or worse and, when it comes to climbing the stakes and taking shots at bigger games, having a little bit of an inner degen is probably a good thing. Those who are far too cautious in poker will never really get anywhere so your inner demon may serve you well in the long-run, provided you don't feed it gin too often of course ;).

Fwiw, I really like raw nature of your immediate post-session updates. It makes your diary an awful lot more human and gives a true insight into the mental roller coaster that poker can be. Life would get generally quite dull if all our communications were preceded by a period of quiet reflection!

Cheers Dues. Yeah I'm honestly over it now and will be sitting down for a Sunday session in a bit. What will be will be.

Thanks to those who posted with a much needed kick up the backside.
  • Options
    I've just stone bubbled the Major semi with an interesting spot.

On the other table the shorty has 280 chips and will be all in before me. It's basically him or me. I can fold the blinds and hope he doesn't get through his. His chances are slim but if he does get through the blinds I'm left on fumes and I rue this KK.

Ugh, should I just be folding?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    kimpetSmall blind600.00600.0013040.43
    waller02Big blind1200.001800.00770.00
    Your hole cards
    • K
    • K
    wineliFold
    Ironpump1Fold
    Aido_domFold
    TheSwanFold
    kimpetAll-in13040.4314840.430.00
    waller02All-in770.0015610.430.00
    kimpetUnmatched bet11670.433940.0011670.43
    kimpetShow
    • A
    waller02Show
    • K
    • K
    Flop
    • Q
    • A
    Turn
    River
    kimpetWinPair of Aces3940.0015610.43
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2020
    I don't know what's "correct" here but I would have strongly considered folding.

Even if the short stack doubles up on his big blind he's all in again with the small blind. He's fairly unlikely two win two all-ins with random hands and zero fold equity. He'd need more than a double up on his BB to survive his SB, but the more callers he gets the less likely he is to be ahead so I'm not sure how likely that is to happen.

So given that SB can probably jam on you with any two here, KK is around 80%. Is there more than a 20% chance of the short stack surviving two forced all-ins with a 100% range? I don't know the answer to that but it seems unlikely, and in that case I think you fold. If SB in your hand is jamming any tighter than literally any two--and based on this one hand sample it seems like he may be--then it seems like an even easier fold.

Not sure if this is the correct way to approach it but it's how I would approach it.

Also, HRC can give you an easy answer to this if you know the stacks and payouts etc.
  • Options
    NOSTRI said:

I don't know what's "correct" here but I would have strongly considered folding.

Even if the short stack doubles up on his big blind he's all in again with the small blind. He's fairly unlikely two win two all-ins with random hands and zero fold equity. He'd need more than a double up on his BB to survive his SB, but the more callers he gets the less likely he is to be ahead so I'm not sure how likely that is to happen.

So given that SB can probably jam on you with any two here, KK is around 80%. Is there more than a 20% chance of the short stack surviving two forced all-ins with a 100% range? I don't know the answer to that but it seems unlikely, and in that case I think you fold. If SB in your hand is jamming any tighter than literally any two--and based on this one hand sample it seems like he may be--then it seems like an even easier fold.

Not sure if this is the correct way to approach it but it's how I would approach it.

Yes that is my gut feeling too, but have discussed it with others who have said it's a call.
    The reason being that the other player is likely to be in a multiway pot with a chance of winning the hand and being able to fold in the sb next hand.

Really don't know!
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I would do the numbers with sat spots as well as get opinions.