You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Golf and stuff

Comments

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162

Tikay10 said:

And as a PS, & forgetting just for a moment the woman-beating thing, it's rather odd that Boycott got a Sir-ness, whilst Martin Johnson only got a CBE.

I suppose it's all subjective, as is the whole topic of highly paid sportsmen & women being "Honoured". On balance, no, they don't deserve it, but there are a few glorious exceptions.

I certainly would never give any Honours to Premier League footballers, their reward is earning more money in a month or so than many of us earn in a lifetime. Nature endowed them with sporting prowess, & good luck to them, but £x million a year for 15 years is more than enough.

I imagine the years of hard work, sacrifice and dedication probably helped them get to the top as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never really understood the fascination of footballers wages. If you're playing in the Premier League (or equivalent abroad), then you're at the very top of your profession in an industry flooded with money and incredibly popular around the world. So it makes sense that these top players get a decent chunk of the pie, and it just so happens that a decent chunk equates to a few million a year, give or take.

The Premier League is a huge brand, and players know their worth.

This is the case for most jobs, especially in the entertainment industry where money is awash. Is Brad Pitt worth £20m a film? Were the cast of Friends worth $1m each per episode during the final series? Was Robbie Williams worth an £80m advance for a 6 album deal?

Same in business too, how many CEO's are being paid obscene figures? Didn't some guy from a housing company recently get a £75m bonus? Where's the anger for his wealth?

I think it's important to not just focus on the top of the tree. There are thousands of footballers earning a very modest living, likewise for actors or musicians etc it's just things are skewed by the figures at the top.

And it's just silly when people say 'pay soldiers/police/nurses etc' footballers wages. In an ideal world yes, but this is far from an ideal world.
    you talk some pish....
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    HENDRIK62 said:

Tikay10 said:

And as a PS, & forgetting just for a moment the woman-beating thing, it's rather odd that Boycott got a Sir-ness, whilst Martin Johnson only got a CBE.

I suppose it's all subjective, as is the whole topic of highly paid sportsmen & women being "Honoured". On balance, no, they don't deserve it, but there are a few glorious exceptions.

I certainly would never give any Honours to Premier League footballers, their reward is earning more money in a month or so than many of us earn in a lifetime. Nature endowed them with sporting prowess, & good luck to them, but £x million a year for 15 years is more than enough.

I imagine the years of hard work, sacrifice and dedication probably helped them get to the top as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never really understood the fascination of footballers wages. If you're playing in the Premier League (or equivalent abroad), then you're at the very top of your profession in an industry flooded with money and incredibly popular around the world. So it makes sense that these top players get a decent chunk of the pie, and it just so happens that a decent chunk equates to a few million a year, give or take.

The Premier League is a huge brand, and players know their worth.

This is the case for most jobs, especially in the entertainment industry where money is awash. Is Brad Pitt worth £20m a film? Were the cast of Friends worth $1m each per episode during the final series? Was Robbie Williams worth an £80m advance for a 6 album deal?

Same in business too, how many CEO's are being paid obscene figures? Didn't some guy from a housing company recently get a £75m bonus? Where's the anger for his wealth?

I think it's important to not just focus on the top of the tree. There are thousands of footballers earning a very modest living, likewise for actors or musicians etc it's just things are skewed by the figures at the top.

And it's just silly when people say 'pay soldiers/police/nurses etc' footballers wages. In an ideal world yes, but this is far from an ideal world.
    you talk some pish....
    Golfers are the most overpaid in the sporting world.
    Whack a ball as far as you can then get some peasant to carry your clubs? Absolutely stealing a living.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    WHOOP WHOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOP !!!

Seat for Notts ......Nice one Paul :)
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    MISTY4ME said:

WHOOP WHOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOP !!!

Seat for Notts ......Nice one Paul :)

Thanks you 😊
  • Options
    Finally got my seat last night for the SPT.
    Very happy with that. I doubt that I’d have been able to resist buying in to it if i hadn’t qualified so i’m glad i’m not faced with that now.

I ran well and had cards at the right time. I also got a little lucky v Geldy with 4 left to pretty much lock up the seat.

The other night i bricked everything when in good positions and had a little grumble.

Aside from that it’s been a decent month though.

Just over £900 profit now and the £220 seat. It has come at a good time.

I’ll have to tell the lady to go on holiday more often.

I may possibly venture out for a live comp tonight. I haven’t played live since October last year so it’s overdue.

I’ll play less this weekend.
    I’ll watch Derby get hammered by horrible Leeds and then i have the boy. The female also returns from her break so we’ll be catching up too
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,219

165 posts into the Stuff Diary & it's the first grumble-free entry. Incred.

PS - well done on the seat.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,022
    Well done on winning a seat. See you there.
  • Options
    After dominating Leeds throughout justice was finally served when we got the equaliser. It would have been an absolute travesty to lose that game.
    Not so good for Derbyshire in the cricket.

Hardly played.
    Played for 10 minutes on Friday night at cash and won £35. May have won with AK v AK to win a buy in ;)

Didn’t play Saturday

Yesterday we went to Clipnclimb and had a good time. After i’d dropped Harry off i played for a while.
    Played a few Spt sats with no success and then got into the semi from a frenzy. Think that cost me only £2 so that was good. Got to the bubble I think we all played pretty correctly. It was essentially a £220 dym bubble so i should win there right? :)
    Bubbled :)

Ended up about £25 up in the night

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Played good on Friday
    Played to 4

Last comp on Wednesday. I’m up to 10 which is really annoying as i’ve been playing well in friendly golf but having a nightmare in comps. Last 2 i’ve got 25 points in both

One time

After seeing Leopard Creek on the KP doc i fancy a little trip to South Africa.
    It’s still behind Cape Kidnappers on the bucket list though. My Cousin lives in New Zealand and my Uncle went to see him a couple of years ago. He walked around but didn’t play golf! He looked at birds instead. Weirdo. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Got some expense this week

First major service and 2 new tyres

Derby Audi wanted £533 for the service. I did a bit of work and ended up getting it from Coventry Audi for £390.
    Pretty big difference

So i’ve got a nice little drive to Coventry arranged.
    Might pop to the new Starbucks drive though to get a latte to keep me company
  • Options
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,653
    You're nearly as bad as us mate :(
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    stokefc said:

You're nearly as bad as us mate :(

Come on now...lets not get too silly... ;)@SidV79 got a season long bet for Stoke to place-top 3 .....
  • Options
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,653
    Luckily no one was killed
    All that money and they couldn't chip in to get a taxi and two of them only lived a mile away
    I have nothing but contempt for people who drink drive l
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I had not originally realised that their captain, Richard Keogh, was also with them, but not charged with any offence. However, he injured his knee badly in the crash & is now out for the season.

If the BBC is to be believed, they were all at a "team-bonding session" (lol), & Club cars had been laid on for them all, but these three decided to stay behind, sup a bit more, then drive home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49841762

It's all rather sad to be honest.

PS - For the avoidance of doubt, I hold the same view at Stokey (& most others) as to drinking & driving. I imagine those three lads will do now, too.

• Options

I now read that Richard Keogh has a cruciate ligament injury to his knee.

At 33 years of age, that's almost certainly gg his career.

How he must bitterly regret his decisions that evening.

As far as I am aware, there's no evidence yet that he was drinking & driving. He may just have been an innocent passenger caught up in the accident.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

I now read that Richard Keogh has a cruciate ligament injury to his knee.

At 33 years of age, that's almost certainly gg his career.

How he must bitterly regret his decisions that evening.

As far as I am aware, there's no evidence yet that he was drinking & driving. He may just have been an innocent passenger caught up in the accident.

Keogh has divided opinion for years for Derby fans

For me, he’s been tremendous and fantastic servant for the club.
    Sadly this clouds everything

Allegedly, he was the most drunk of all of them. As club captain and an older player he has a responsibility.
    It would appear that he kept saying his name was Alfie when the Police arrived. He may have got away with it but surprisingly he was recongnised!

I’m struggling to see how he sustained his injuries in the crash. They were basically in tanks. The other two involved barely had a scratch. All i can think of is that he was comatose in the back without a seatbelt

It’s a horrendous situation for the Manager to deal with.
    Yesterday he named Huddlestone as his Captain.
    Later on it came out that Huddlestone posted the picture of Bennett throwing up
  • Options
    The one sliver lining is that it may accelerate Rooneys arrival
    After hearing of the drinking culture at the club yesterday he tweeted
    “On my way lads 👍🏻“
  • Options

"For me, he’s been tremendous and fantastic servant for the club."

Every time I've seen him he gives 100% effort, seemed to be the heart of the team in some ways as he galvanised others into upping their effort by example.

"I’m struggling to see how he sustained his injuries in the crash. They were basically in tanks"

Yes, but photos of the crash show the front of the Range Rover was seriously damaged, it seems to have hit a lamp-standard full on at high speed. For "a tank" to sustain such serious frontal damage, that will have been a very high speed high impact crash. We don't know if he was wearing a safety belt, but considering all the circumstances, I would doubt it.