You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Golf and stuff

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,478

@Jac35

"Dyms went ok"

Says the man who is on an 11 streak.

That's called hiding one's light under a bushel, though I have no idea why.

Congrats.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    Tikay10 said:

@Jac35

"Dyms went ok"

Says the man who is on an 11 streak.

That's called hiding one's light under a bushel, though I have no idea why.

Congrats.

😊

I didn’t know to tell the truth
    I was only £35 up at dyms so i must have lost most of the games at the other stakes.
  • Options
    Exciting update time

Made £7 😊

Feels really good actually. Played very badly and was down a fair bit.

@bbMike kept outplaying me, which isn’t that hard to do.

Played my occasional Mtt and came 14th in the £3 rebuy

Bust the tenner sat to a luckbox who’s hopeless at poker @cpfc_2010

Did some pretty good game selection for my £5 streak
    Bust first level 😁
    Flopped a set of 2s and he turned a set of Js. Buggger!
    Or as I described it to Eamonn, he flopped a J on the turn.
    Eamonn pointed out that to flop a set on the turn is exceptional. I concur 😊

Bankroll £440
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Chat-box chirping at the bad regs? 😉

I didn’t do so well last night, questionable bubble decisions and a little run bad are a toxic mixture. Changed to Turbos later as the games were drying up. Maybe a change of luck as I jam JT into AA and see 789 flop. 9. 9. Nearly started a forum thread about it.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    It was a very nice surprise to see the leaderboards this morning
    As i said previously i just play at all the stakes and don’t notice when i’m playing how i’m doing.
    With only being up £7 on the night i didn’t even consider that i may have had a good streak.
    I did badly at the £11s which i suppose is the reason for not making much on the night.
    I think the £3 streak is over now so no pressure on the 1st game at that level tonight. I doubt i’ll improve on the streaks at £3s and £5 so i may play mostly £1s and £2s tonight and also hope that the £11s go better

I’ve a day off but i won’t play until later.
    I’ve got exciting stuff like ironing to do and a badly needed haircut to get before i golf this afternoon

I may have to consider buying in directly to the semi for Notts as well. The tenner sats aren’t going well and i really want to get a seat
  • Options
    I played for a little while this evening
    Very tired after this afternoons golf though so I’ve finished up early

Played the freeroll and won a quid 😊
    Made £21 at Dyms

I’ve decided against going for the £1 leaderboard. I just can’t get enthused enough for it.
    I’ll stick with 2s though. I’ve actually checked this time 😊 and I have a 6 streak going

It’s cold 🥶
    I’ve put the log burner on and I’m gonna read me book

Bankroll £462
  • Options
    Sir Geoff Boycott

Any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    Roy Keane talking about Jon Walters needing to man up

Any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Sir Geoff Boycott

Any thoughts on that?

Well yes & no.

I'd rather not dwell on Sir Geoffrey, because I'm unsure of the answer, but he's a good example of something that has interested me for a good many years.

When someone commits a crime that is socially unacceptable, such as hitting a woman, messing with kids, fiddling their tax, stealing from the elderly & vulnerable, (as opposed to, say, robbing a bank), they get found guilty, then go to Prison or pay their Fine, Community Service or whatever.

At what stage - if ever - is it fine (or not) to accept them fully back into society & not keep banging on about their past history?

Can or should there ever come a time when we say "OK, that's it, you've paid your bill, now let's move on"?

I am unsure in my mind about the Sir Geoffrey case, but I'm very interested in the wider subject.

FWIW, I DO think that once the bill has been paid, that ought to be the end of the matter, but then again, I can find plenty of examples where I would never forgive & forget.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    And as a PS, & forgetting just for a moment the woman-beating thing, it's rather odd that Boycott got a Sir-ness, whilst Martin Johnson only got a CBE.

I suppose it's all subjective, as is the whole topic of highly paid sportsmen & women being "Honoured". On balance, no, they don't deserve it, but there are a few glorious exceptions.

I certainly would never give any Honours to Premier League footballers, their reward is earning more money in a month or so than many of us earn in a lifetime. Nature endowed them with sporting prowess, & good luck to them, but £x million a year for 15 years is more than enough.
  • Options

Oh, & well done on being Top 3 in two Streak week Leaderboards.

Think you are guaranteed a high placing whatever happens today & tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Oh, & well done on being Top 3 in two Streak week Leaderboards.

Think you are guaranteed a high placing whatever happens today & tomorrow.

Marv
    There’s the bok :)

Hopefully this week i won’t drop off the 2 leaderboards on the last day

I’ll go into rant mode on football salaries when i get home from work :)
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    edited September 2019
    Roy Keane holds grudges, super Jon Walters stood toe to toe with Keane at Ipswich when Stoke came in for him, Keane didn't want him to go Jon wanted to go they had a furious row Keane backed down when super Jon threatened to take him outside
    Roy Keane is a proper p***k and deserves to be brought down a peg or two
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Did you watch the match last night Keane very nearly smiled when someone in the studio cracked a joke
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Roy Keane holds grudges, super Jon Walters stood toe to toe with Keane at Ipswich when Stoke came in for him, Keane didn't want him to go Jon wanted to go they had a furious row Keane backed down when super Jon threatened to take him outside
    Roy Keane is a proper p***k and deserves to be brought down a peg or two

Keane does make me smile at times but he oversteps too frequently

Regardless of personal issues between him and Walters. To go on television and mock the man for crying on tv when he’s suffered the kind of personal tragedy that he has is grotesque in my mind
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Jac35 said:

Sir Geoff Boycott

Any thoughts on that?

Well yes & no.

I'd rather not dwell on Sir Geoffrey, because I'm unsure of the answer, but he's a good example of something that has interested me for a good many years.

When someone commits a crime that is socially unacceptable, such as hitting a woman, messing with kids, fiddling their tax, stealing from the elderly & vulnerable, (as opposed to, say, robbing a bank), they get found guilty, then go to Prison or pay their Fine, Community Service or whatever.

At what stage - if ever - is it fine (or not) to accept them fully back into society & not keep banging on about their past history?

Can or should there ever come a time when we say "OK, that's it, you've paid your bill, now let's move on"?

I am unsure in my mind about the Sir Geoffrey case, but I'm very interested in the wider subject.

FWIW, I DO think that once the bill has been paid, that ought to be the end of the matter, but then again, I can find plenty of examples where I would never forgive & forget.
    My view is after a conviction, especially the kind Boycott had, you should be excluded from consideration for honours

Awkwardly though, I kind of like him and was pleased for him
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I recently had a discussion about footballers salaries with a couple of players on here.

My view is that it is totally obscene what footballers earn.

One of the guys said that players will always go where the best money is and I kind of accept that. I think he also said that if I was offered more money then I would change jobs and it’s just the same.
    That bit I don’t get. If I was offered another job paying 10k more a year then that would make a significant difference to my life.
    When a footballer who already earns 100k a week is offered 20k more somewhere else I don’t think the extra money is anywhere near as significant.

Gareth Bales it seems was very close to moving to China. Was it for footballing reasons or lifestyle? I think probably not and it was purely down to money.
    I struggle with that. A man with a wife and young child living in a wonderful city like Madrid moving to China.
    He already has more money then he could ever wish to spend.
    I’m sure a player of his ability could move pretty much anywhere he liked and still earn a handsome salary.

The other guy said that footballers aren’t as rich as I think and they pay a lot of tax and have expensive lifestyles and have a short career. He also said a friend of his knew a player and he struggled to get a mortgage.
    This I couldn’t get.

I looked it up and good estimates seem to be that the average salary in the Premier league is 3 million a year.
    I accept that that will be skewed a bit due to the very highest earners. So let’s say it’s actually ‘only’ 2 million a year.
    In a 15 year career the average Premier league player will earn, before sponsorship etc, 30 million.
    I think it would be nigh on impossible for a single player not to live in luxury for the rest of their lives.
    I’m certainly not going to lose sleep over whether Newcastle’s left back gets the ok on his mortgage application for that 2 bed terrace in Gateshead.

When my Dad was ill he needed an operation to remove the brain tumour. The operation had a 20% chance of ending his life right then. He had the operation as it gave him some extra time.
    One wrong move from Neurosurgeon would have been fatal. What an incredible job these people do.
    After the successful operation my Dad was in awe of the guy. He said something like ‘This man has cut my head open and removed the tumour and then sewn me back together again. How can he earn less in a year than Beckham earns in a week?”

The average salary of a Neurosurgeon is £88,995
    Richard Keogh at Derby County in the Championship earns more than that in month

What an incredible world we live in

It would be totally impossible to enforce but I’d love there to be a salary cap again. 20k a week. That’s only a measly million a year I know. But I think they’d still just about be able to make ends meet.

I’m sure plenty will disagree with me. Be happy to be told why I’m wrong
    Rant over 😊
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    tony how do u compare child abuse with fiddling a few quid outta the taxman is beyond me.over 20 years with my own business and never paid full i can say it now cause they can only go back xamount of years.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    Football is a multi-£Billion industry, largely thanks to TV.

Who do you want to receive the money? The footballers? Or the Owners? I know on 1 level it is madness, but the reality is that it is all about supply and demand.

Totally against a salary cap. However, I do feel that it should be compulsory for all Premier League clubs to pay the Living Wage to ALL employees.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Why should premier league footballers be excluded from honours?
    There are many multi millionaires from other industries that have received them.

For the record, I don't believe anyone should receive honours just for doing their job.
    Or doing their job very badly, if you look at May's recent list.

Even without the conviction, what has Boycott done to deserve anything?