You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Covid 19 UK.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
  • Options
    Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty THWARTED Boris Johnson's wish to downgrade UK's coronavirus threat level from four to three, amid fears the science does NOT support easing of the lockdown

The prime minister had wanted to reduce the five-stage alert level after announcing the partial easing of lockdown restrictions, which came into force yesterday. However, the threat level has stayed at four, after Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty. insisted it couldn't be lowered despite the easing of lockdown. This has led to fears that the government is ignoring the science as it moves to ease restrictions, after Mr Johnson said in his roadmap, published on May 11, that the alert level would have to be downgraded before any relaxation of lockdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Seven members of staff from a single primary school test positive for coronavirus as thousands of pupils return to classrooms today

Arboretum Primary School, in Derby, has been closed following the positive tests, with the staff members, who have mild symptoms, now recovering at home.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    VespaPX said:
    This is the sort of idiocy that only a Rees-Mogg could come up with.
    He believes that "democracy" necessitates MPs physically voting at Westminster. Why?

Let's look at one of the opponents, Robert Halfon MP. Mr Halfon is the MP for Harlow. He has a mild form of cerebral palsy, which he has had since birth. Hasn't prevented him from considerable achievements, or from having spent the last 10 years being an MP (and trying to be Harlow's MP for 10 years before that).

Due to his health condition, he is no longer fit to attend Parliament. On medical advice. So why should that prevent him from voting, or for Harlow's electorate to be unrepresented?

This is Disability Discrimination of the very worst kind. If any other employee, in any other industry, was treated in this way then the perpetrator would be sacked forthwith. And if they were not, that employer would be facing one of the largest Employment claims of all time.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,603
    Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:
    He believes that "democracy" necessitates MPs physically voting at Westminster. Why?

Let's look at one of the opponents, Robert Halfon MP. Mr Halfon is the MP for Harlow. He has a mild form of cerebral palsy, which he has had since birth. Hasn't prevented him from considerable achievements, or from having spent the last 10 years being an MP (and trying to be Harlow's MP for 10 years before that).

Due to his health condition, he is no longer fit to attend Parliament. On medical advice. So why should that prevent him from voting, or for Harlow's electorate to be unrepresented?

This is Disability Discrimination of the very worst kind. If any other employee, in any other industry, was treated in this way then the perpetrator would be sacked forthwith. And if they were not, that employer would be facing one of the largest Employment claims of all time.
    Rees-Mogg is so out of touch with reality. Can't believe that people actually vote for the idiot.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,306
    tai-gar said:

Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

Rees-Mogg is so out of touch with reality. Can't believe that people actually vote for the idiot.
    I can't agree...do you realise the moggster is so kind...he even has 2 bentleys so he can take nanny out on day trips ( quote, unquote...the biggest cee u next tuesday since gove,domcum and bojo) and yes Phil, i hate these rich Tory terwats!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,306
    If I can be bothered to type it up( it won’t copy n paste) there is a great timeline articulating the UK’s responses , including Boris Johnson NOT attending 5 Cobra meetings in the early stages , preferring to go on holiday for 2 weeks during this period.....scandalous!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    madprof said:

If I can be bothered to type it up( it won’t copy n paste) there is a great timeline articulating the UK’s responses , including Boris Johnson NOT attending 5 Cobra meetings in the early stages , preferring to go on holiday for 2 weeks during this period.....scandalous!

Yesterday we had more deaths than the EU 27 put together.
    It is therefore safer to go to Europe. than it is to Yorkshire.
    The quarantine rules for airports etc, are impossible to police, and therefore completely irrelevant, other than for causing massive damage to areas reliant on tourism, airlines etc.
    Why do they insist on regularly shutting stable doors after the horses have bolted.
  • Options
    madprof said:

There was a shocking report into the Care Homes scandal on NewsNight last night.
    This highlighted the lies that Boris and Matt Hancock have told, which has made me hate them more, although I didn't think that would be possible.
    It was a very measured report, without any ranting, which probably made it more powerful.
    The programme featured a company that operate 90 care homes.
    When they were finally allowed tests, over 900 residents, and more than 400 staff tested positive.
    Incredibly over 40% of those that tested positive had shown no symptoms.
    This meant that almost 500 residents, and over 200 staff had been free to infect others.
    They also pointed out that the NHS tried to con them into taking risky patients off their hands.
    Another shambles.
  • Options
    madprof said:

'Absolutely bonkers': Scientists reveal reaction to Boris Johnson's infamous 'shaking hands' speech at start of pandemic

Boris Johnson’s handling of the coronavirus crisis has come under fire from scientists, with one labelling his now-infamous speech about shaking hands “absolutely bonkers”.
    Speaking on Channel 4’s Dispatches, Professor Stephen Reicher, a member of the SPI-B advisory group —a group of behavioural scientists that provides advice to the government on how the public would respond to lockdown measures — criticised the prime minister’s declaration that he was still shaking hands with people at the start of the pandemic.
    In a speech at the start of March, Johnson said: “I was at a hospital the other night where I think there were a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you will be pleased to know, and I continue to shake hands.”
    Speaking to Dispatches, Prof Reicher said: “I think it was absolutely bonkers.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-scientists-boris-johnson-bonkers-071556448.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

Yesterday we had more deaths than the EU 27 put together.
    It is therefore safer to go to Europe. than it is to Yorkshire.
    The quarantine rules for airports etc, are impossible to police, and therefore completely irrelevant, other than for causing massive damage to areas reliant on tourism, airlines etc.
    Why do they insist on regularly shutting stable doors after the horses have bolted.
    UK coronavirus LIVE: Government defends quarantine plans after scientists say 14-day travel rules 'make no sense'

The Government has been forced to defend its plans to enforce strict new quarantine rules for travellers after leading scientists condemned them as illogical.
    Sage pandemic modeller Mark Woolhouse, of Edinburgh University, told The Times that the decision to make all arrivals in the UK self-isolate for 14 days would have a "negligible impact on public health", adding: “It’s a very odd time to bring it in. It makes no sense as a public health measure."
    But Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis hit out at the criticism this morning, telling BBC Breakfast: “As the spread in our communities is now much lower, the marginal impact of anyone coming into the country (with Covid-19) is much higher – that is why this is the right time to do it.”
    It comes as Boris Johnson prepares to tell a summit of world leaders that vaccinating the world against deadly diseases, including Covid-19, is “the most essential shared endeavour of our lifetimes” as he calls for "humanity to unite" by entering a "new era of global health co-operation".

Boris Johnson is willing to go back into coronavirus isolation for 14 days if instructed, Number 10 admitted today after Business Secretary Alok Sharma fell ill with symptoms of the disease .
    The Prime Minister’s spokesman said Mr Johnson will obey if told to isolate again by test and trace officials, even though he has had the disease already .
    Mr Sharma spent 45 minutes in a meeting in the Cabinet room with the PM and Chancellor Rishi Sunak on Tuesday, No 10 revealed. But the spokesman said the meeting was socially distanced, with the trio sitting two metres apart and said that handshakes would not normally be exchanged.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/uk-coronavirus-live-government-defends-quarantine-plans-after-scientists-say-14-day-travel-rules-make-no-sense/ar-BB150VYd?ocid=spartandhp
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

There was a shocking report into the Care Homes scandal on NewsNight last night.
    This highlighted the lies that Boris and Matt Hancock have told, which has made me hate them more, although I didn't think that would be possible.
    It was a very measured report, without any ranting, which probably made it more powerful.
    When they were finally allowed tests, over 900 residents, and more than 400 staff tested positive.
    This meant that almost 500 residents, and over 200 staff had been free to infect others.
    They also pointed out that the NHS tried to con them into taking risky patients off their hands.
    Another shambles.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52914365/coronavirus-in-care-homes-we-re-all-still-grieving
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

Another shambles.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52914365/coronavirus-in-care-homes-we-re-all-still-grieving
    Coronavirus in care homes: 'We're all still grieving'
    The coronavirus pandemic has hit care homes hard. For the early part of the crisis it was playing out silently, and virtually ignored.
    Before lockdown, Newsnight visited a care home in Blackpool, run by the charity MHA, to find out how they were preparing for a possible pandemic in their 90 homes across the UK. The North West of England has since become one of the worst hit parts of the country.
    In this special report, the programme's Kate Razzall hears from MHA staff about about the way the crisis unfolded in care homes.
    The Department or Health and Social care said its priority is to ensure care workers and those receiving care are protected, and that the latest statistics show over 60% of care homes have had no outbreak at all.
    A spokesman said a package of support for residents and staff had been set out, but "more must continue to be done" and additional funding has been made available to local authorities.

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

Another shambles.
    Coronavirus in care homes: 'We're all still grieving'
    The coronavirus pandemic has hit care homes hard. For the early part of the crisis it was playing out silently, and virtually ignored.
    Before lockdown, Newsnight visited a care home in Blackpool, run by the charity MHA, to find out how they were preparing for a possible pandemic in their 90 homes across the UK. The North West of England has since become one of the worst hit parts of the country.
    In this special report, the programme's Kate Razzall hears from MHA staff about about the way the crisis unfolded in care homes.
    The Department or Health and Social care said its priority is to ensure care workers and those receiving care are protected, and that the latest statistics show over 60% of care homes have had no outbreak at all.
    A spokesman said a package of support for residents and staff had been set out, but "more must continue to be done" and additional funding has been made available to local authorities.

Asymptomatic care workers unknowingly spread coronavirus

This special report looks at the timeline of the crisis in care and asks what could have been different
    Large numbers of staff could have been unknowingly spreading coronavirus through care homes, according to the UK's largest charitable care home provider.
    Data from MHA shows 42% of its staff members who recently tested positive were not displaying symptoms.
    Nearly 45% of residents who had a positive test were also asymptomatic.
    MHA operates in England, Scotland and Wales and has fully tested staff and residents in 86 of its 90 homes so far.

It says 398 people have died in its care homes since the crisis began. Three MHA staff have also succumbed to the virus.
    So far 930 people have recovered from suspected or confirmed Covid-19.
    This data also shows less than half of the residents who died ever got a test.
    Heather Grange care home in Burnley lost 10 residents. Only four were tested for coronavirus.
    Manager Mark Quarmby said: "Once the virus took hold of some of our residents, it was relentless. We'd see cases where people literally showed some symptoms on a Friday and by Tuesday they'd passed away.
    "There was no testing. I actually had a conversation with Public Health England and asked for tests. I was categorically told there was no testing for care homes in the North West. We were on our own.
    "The early warning, that testing, could have changed outcomes. People could have lived the next two, three, four, five years. It makes me very sad."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52912538
  • Options
    Steven Avery: Making a Murderer subject contracts coronavirus in prison

Steven Avery, the subject of Netflix‘s true crime documentary series Making a Murderer, has caught coronavirus while in prison.

An upcoming sequel docuseries, entitled Convicting a Murderer, is also in the works.
    The first two seasons of Making a Murderer can be watched on Netflix now.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/news/steven-avery-making-a-murderer-subject-contracts-coronavirus-in-prison/ar-BB151RCq?ocid=spartandhp
  • Options