You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

ยซ13456711

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    In one sense I agree with you, and in another, I don't.

Firstly, I feel it is unfair to judge men of many generations ago by 21st Century standards. Much fairer to judge them in the context in which they lived.

Having said that, it is wrong to put such people (or pub names) on public display (as opposed to a museum), in a way that is bound to cause offence to many. That is not "lunatics"-that is evidence of progress by a civilised world.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,489
    Should they keep them up .... or ..... Take em Down. !

• Options
    Should this be banned......... ?

Today I read this book in school and I like it however it is kinda scary that the queen wants to kill Snow White and eat her livers and heart so she can be beautiful no offense. But I still like the story ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Options
    The other side of the Coin.......
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    edited June 2020
    Do we abolish the monarchy given it's colonial past?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_African_Company
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,024
    Essexphil said:

In one sense I agree with you, and in another, I don't.

Firstly, I feel it is unfair to judge men of many generations ago by 21st Century standards. Much fairer to judge them in the context in which they lived.

Having said that, it is wrong to put such people (or pub names) on public display (as opposed to a museum), in a way that is bound to cause offence to many. That is not "lunatics"-that is evidence of progress by a civilised world.

Very wise words indeed amongst all the hysteria currently being spouted around by all sides of the argument.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited June 2020
    Auschwitz is a fine example of learning from history and not erasing the horrors of the past. However you don't see any statues of Hitler, Himmler, Eichmann etc on the streets of Germany.

Not condoning a mob mentality and criminal damage but I think it is right to have a sensible debate about which historical figures do not deserve to be honoured with statues. Slave traders seems an easy category to remove.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,024
    Phantom66 said:

Auschwitz is a fine example of learning from history and not erasing the horrors of the past. However you don't see any statues of Hitler, Himmler, Eichmann etc on the streets of Germany.

Not condoning a mob mentality and criminal damage but I think it is right to have a sensible debate about which historical figures do not deserve to be honoured with statues. Slave traders seems an easy category to remove.

The problem then arises of how far back in history do you go? Throughout time the so called 'Superior' civilisations/empires have all been slave owners/traders from Egyptians,Romans,Ottoman,Mongol etc. That's a lot of history to delete.

• Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    This is getting crazy, where do you stop, there is going to be battles in the streets shortly, the BNP are just waiting for an excuse, I understand a lot of the statues belong in a different time and there should be a debate what to do, but the one I don't get is Churchill, without the likes of him there would have been millions more killed.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Who said anything about deleting history?
  • Options
    What have I done

• Options
    What you mean " Made African Americans slaves to big Mac's "
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    VespaPX said:
    No idea why anyone would ever own a pub in the 21st century and think that's a suitable name, irrespective of its origins.

The 'name reflects the history of the pub' argument is a particularly daft argument for keeping the name IMO. If the name comes from King Charles II... Just call it that instead? You're not losing any of the history by doing that, and there's plenty of pubs named after English monarchy already.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited June 2020
    goldon said:

Should this be banned......... ?

Today I read this book in school and I like it however it is kinda scary that the queen wants to kill Snow White and eat her livers and heart so she can be beautiful no offense. But I still like the story ๐Ÿ˜Š

goldon said:

What you mean " Made African Americans slaves to big Mac's "

Why don't you take your book up to your room and read it there? The adults are trying to have a grown-up conversation.
  • Options
    Just pointing out the Evil in innocent places. Have you tried

• Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    goldon said:

What's the other side of what coin?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129
    SR23 said:

goldon said:

@SR23

Such a sickening photo. The copper is struggling on the ground & he's taking selfies.
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    edited February 2021
    Tikay10 said:

SR23 said:

goldon said:

@SR23

Such a sickening photo. The copper is struggling on the ground & he's taking selfies.
    Still not sure what the other side of the coin is wrt to the op/rest of the thread or how that pic is relevant but perhaps that's because @VespaPX 's links are (often) the nut low and I didn't bother to click on.