You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Confusion.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,152

The Sunday Mirror uses its leader column to call for the new restrictions to be applied "fairly and evenly". It says many constituencies held by senior Conservatives - including the prime minister's - have higher infection rates than the levels that saw northern cities subjected to a tightening of the Covid rules in July.

In the Sunday People, the Labour mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, says the government's approach risks dragging the country back to Margaret Thatcher's divided Britain of the 1980s when violence erupted over pit closures and union disputes. The People's leader says the prime minister "must be for turning".

The Mail on Sunday says Mr Johnson heard the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, "forensically" pick apart data provided by scientific advisers to justify a hard lockdown - reportedly pointing out that demands to shut hospitality venues are based on "patchy and flawed" information from just 165 pubs, restaurants and cafes.

In a Mail on Sunday exclusive, the health secretary is accused of flouting the government's 22:00 curfew to enjoy a glass of white wine. An unnamed senior Conservative MP says Matt Hancock was drinking wine in a House of Commons bar at 22:25 last Monday night. "Everyone is panicking and trying to cover for Matt, but I know what I saw," the source says. But a spokesperson for the health secretary has told the Mail no rules were broken - and while Mr Hancock was in the Smoking Room bar prior to a vote at 21:42, he then "departed the Parliamentary estate to go home".

In other coronavirus news, the Observer says there are "growing signs" hospitals in virus hotspots are struggling to cope, with elective surgery in Liverpool soon to be cancelled.

"Stupidity isn't a valid defence for an MP" is the Sun on Sunday's assessment of Margaret Ferrier's explanation as to why she travelled to the Commons after experiencing symptoms and then back to Glasgow despite knowing she had tested positive for Covid. In its editorial, the paper says it is "astonishing that she is stubbornly refusing to stand down from her £80,000 job".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-54496084

• Options
    'The drinks are on me but Public Health England are in charge of payment methodology so I will not be paying anything': Health Secretary Matt Hancock makes tasteless Covid test joke in Commons bar as he 'joined MPs flouting 10pm curfew'

Health Secretary Matt Hancock was last night accused of breaking his own Covid curfew by drinking in a Commons bar beyond 10pm - where he made a crass joke about the Government's test and trace failings. Mr Hancock arrived at the bar just before a 9.40pm vote, ordered a glass of white wine and announced: 'The drinks are on me - but Public Health England are in charge of the payment methodology so I will not be paying anything.' His ill-conceived joke came after he had tried to explain to the Commons why the quango had lost nearly 16,000 positive coronavirus tests - a fiasco which Labour claimed had put 'lives at risk'. A senior Tory MP told The Mail on Sunday that Mr Hancock remained in the Smoking Room bar until at least 10.25pm, despite Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle insisting that Commons venues must abide by the same 10pm drink-up-and-leave curfew as all English pubs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Rinkhals said:

@HAYSIE Just out of interest how do you think the pandemic and looming financial crisis should be handled or are you just happy to throw insults and tomatoes from behind your front door?

Ok, lets just take a couple of examples of the Governments incompetence, and explore your thoughts on them.

They imposed local lockdowns on 20 areas throughout the UK.
    In 19 of the 20 areas infections have increased.
    In some cases there has been a dramatic increase.
    Many areas in the UK now exceed the number of infections, that put these 20 areas into a local lockdown, yet no further restrictions have been implemented.
    Many of the original 20 have infection rates far in excess of the countries that require a period of quarantine after a visit.
    Just taking one example out of the original 20, Manchester has gone from an infection rate of 26 cases per hundred thousand to over 560.
    This happened while they were under a local lockdown?
    What went wrong?

Secondly, they lost 16,000 positive tests.
    So these people carried on with their lives, infecting others.
    While their were lost, there could be no contract tracing.
    This meant that all the people that the 16,000 infected carried on with their lives, infecting others, again without any contract tracing.
    So how many people do you think the original 16,000 infected?
    How many lives will be lost?

I think that these two examples represent the very tip of the iceberg.

What do you think of the above?
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,037
    HAYSIE said:

Rinkhals said:

@HAYSIE Just out of interest how do you think the pandemic and looming financial crisis should be handled or are you just happy to throw insults and tomatoes from behind your front door?

Ok, lets just take a couple of examples of the Governments incompetence, and explore your thoughts on them.

Many areas in the UK now exceed the number of infections, that put these 20 areas into a local lockdown, yet no further restrictions have been implemented.
    Many of the original 20 have infection rates far in excess of the countries that require a period of quarantine after a visit.
    Just taking one example out of the original 20, Manchester has gone from an infection rate of 26 cases per hundred thousand to over 560.
    What went wrong?

This meant that all the people that the 16,000 infected carried on with their lives, infecting others, again without any contract tracing.

At a guess I'd say one of the main reasons is that people are ignoring the rules and carrying on as normal.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

Rinkhals said:

What went wrong?

At a guess I'd say one of the main reasons is that people are ignoring the rules and carrying on as normal.
    I would agree, and one of the factors involved is that a poor example is being set.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

Rinkhals said:

What went wrong?

It also questions the point of special measures when infections increase more than 20 fold after putting them in place.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,037
    Whilst people continue with this attitude then the transmissions will continue to rise,perhaps it's time for a hard nationwide lockdown,as it's perfectly clear the current policies are not working.The government can't be blamed for the actions of stupid people who will continue to do as they please no matter what the rules are.

• Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited October 2020
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

Rinkhals said:

The following may have escaped your notice.

Every living Tory Pm has openly criticised this Government.

Boris is facing a back bench rebellion.

The percentage of those thinking he has handled the pandemic well has halved since March.

Just about all the press, including the Tory supporting press is highly critical of them.

Boris cant get his own staff, or even his own family to follow the rules.

The world beating track and trace is an absolute joke.

Boris is determined to break the law.

I could go on and on.
    You do go on and on Zzzzzz.

Outside the cabinet, the poor souls are feeling left out. Too many cooks.
    Each individual is responsible for their own actions regarding the rules.
    World beating track and trace system? Nice idea, but there never will be one, as all countries won’t be aware of all the cases in their countries. Sorry, no magic bullet, never will be.
    I thought you liked pitch? In fact,it puts it back to the EU that we have a hand, regarding breaking the law. Sue if they like, who gives a f..k.
    The EU talk about state aid and standards etc, when they deal with countries with appalling human rights, and state aid beyond belief, especially in China.
    China keeps Germany and France afloat.
    Because we’re just across the channel I hear? A mere dinghy jaunt away.
    Fishing might only be a small amount of trade between us, but it’s far more than figures.
    Macron has an election next year, he has enough trouble on his own patch.
    Fishing towns around the EU will be up in arms, that’s all Macron wants. Disrupting ports,the tunnel, etc. All that will surely help the EU countries out of recession. Not.
    I bet Ireland are shaking in their boots.
    Walk away from any deal, suites me sir.
    While most of the world is in recession, take the pain now. That applies to the U.K. and the EU.
    Things could grind to a halt in the EU and the U.K. if the financial sector can’t be sorted.
    Think also of the green future. Meat is more expensive to produce than fish. Meat is more environmentally unfriendly than fish.Fish is also more healthy than meat. Btw, I like fish. Build up the fleets and eat most of it here. Most of ours goes to China and back anyway.
    No **** fish, no jabs,no feed, no moving about from field to field.
    Btw, China have one of the smallest areas per capita for their agriculture. Just the 1.6 billion or so mouths to feed. Their boats fish illegally all over the place, after they’ve totally over fished their own waters. They also have some of the most polluted water in the world, after their 20years of manufactured, subsidised GDP. Time to wind your necks in China.
    This China stuff will become relevant in the future, to the U.K. and EU.
    I’d expect a concession of sorts on fishing at some stage.
    But in the mean time, the U.K. does have a good hand 💪.

Enough for now, I’m off to my local Chinese for the rest of the evening.

Start a Chinese thread.
    The reason I said that is because your post is mostly about China.

You said yourself that it doesnt belong on this thread.
    I assumed you were referring to the Irish issue regarding lawbreaking, which is to do with Brexit.
    Or are you referring to lighting a camp fire in a field?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

@HAYSIE , you either want things opened up or closed. Don’t sit on the fence.

I dont recall commenting on opening things up, or closing them.

I rarely sit on any fences.
    Better check your earlier posts.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Lots of cases and red numbers everywhere now.
    As misterpj says, “ we’re not alone”.

What is confusing about this?
    Some folks must surely be confused as to why we aren’t No1?
    The mediaometer is indicating we are.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Rinkhals said:

What went wrong?

The citizens are the ones spreading the virus in those areas, not the ministers.
    There is always a lagging with numbers after a localised lockdown.
    Unless every single person in an area got tested, these numbers don’t mean an awful lot.
    They just indicate it’s best to stop as much circulation .

You use “ they” an awful lot.
    Is Matt Hancock doing the testing personally?
    Is he driving about in a van,collecting samples?
    Is the Government responsible for every action a U.K. citizen takes?
    S hit, did I call, I meant raise. Governments fault, obv.

Sure, they have to carry the can.
    But you’re agenda still has leaks.
  • Options
    chilling said:

Wrong thread. Brexit would have been the desired choice.

You posted this.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Wrong thread. Brexit would have been the desired choice.

You posted this.
    I quite clearly did, but what’s your point?
    What lawbreaking were you referring to?
    My answer to lawbreaking was referring to the Irish issue.
    You stated lawbreaking, and wanted feedback.
    Indicate as to what lawbreaking you were referring to.
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of northerners that are confused.
    Probably the ones that went to vote in the election and got confused as to where to put their cross. Then went down the pub for relief after being put in such a stressful position.
    That’s got legs.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

Whilst people continue with this attitude then the transmissions will continue to rise,perhaps it's time for a hard nationwide lockdown,as it's perfectly clear the current policies are not working.The government can't be blamed for the actions of stupid people who will continue to do as they please no matter what the rules are.

If you implement local lockdowns to reduce the number of infections, and they increase in excess of 20 fold, they can only be regarded as a failure.
    You can examine the reasons for failure, but they surely cant be judged as anything but a complete failure.
    The infections increased in all but one of the 20 local lockdown areas.
    This may have been through people not following the rules.
    Maybe the rules werent comprehensive enough.
    Perhaps they needed to be more stringent.
    What about tougher enforcement.
    Harsher penalties?
    Whether you blame it on one or all of the above, it doesnt matter because the Government was in control of all of them.
    The buck stops with the Government.

I firmly believe that many people arent adhering to the rules due to the poor examples being set by MPs, Cabinet Ministers, the PM, his special advisers, and his family.
    His Father Stanley was photographed 3 times last week breaking the rules on masks, in addition to his recent "emergency" trip to Greece.
    Boris caught the virus.
    How did that happen?
    Was it when he was walking about, not observing his own social distancing rules, and shaking hands with everybody?
    Or was it when he was advising us against wearing masks, and didnt wear one himself?
    People are less likely to follow the rules when they feel it is us and them.

• Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

I dont need to.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

You have gone again.

The thread title is confusion.
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

Rinkhals said:

What went wrong?

The citizens are the ones spreading the virus in those areas, not the ministers.

True, but the Government put the rules/laws in place, and ensure that they are enforced.

There is always a lagging with numbers after a localised lockdown.

And?
    Infections in Manchester have increased more than 20 fold since the local lockdown started.

Unless every single person in an area got tested, these numbers don’t mean an awful lot.

Really?
    Despite spiralling infections, hospitals filling up, and deaths increasing.

They just indicate it’s best to stop as much circulation .

But infections have increased hand over fist since they started.

You use “ they” an awful lot.

And?
    As do you in the case of they carry the can.

Is Matt Hancock doing the testing personally?

No he is drinking during the curfew, and telling sick jokes.

Is he driving about in a van,collecting samples?
    Is the Government responsible for every action a U.K. citizen takes?
    S hit, did I call, I meant raise. Governments fault, obv.

Sure, they have to carry the can.

This bit seems in complete contradiction to the rest.
    You cant say it not their fault all the way through and them say they carry the can.
    That would seem to be ridiculous.

But you’re agenda still has leaks.
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Boris was seen on telly last week, unable to quote his own rules correctly.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

I dont need to.
    You’re constantly referring to measures being taken, and sharing media tosh that is on the same subject.
    Every single time I engage with you, it just reminds me of why I can seldom be a rsed.
    Stay confused. Suites you sir.