You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Confusion.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,968
    edited August 2020
    chilling said:

Reopening schools in September will lead to catastrophic second wave of coronavirus in UK that could infect TWICE as many people - unless test and trace drastically improves, warn researchers

Scientists said reopening schools in the UK would inevitably result in another crisis that peaks in December (top right: a graph showing the number of new infections with 68 per cent tracing and 18 per cent testing). But it could be avoided - with pubs remaining open and no draconian lockdowns needed - if testing is dramatically ramped up and the contact tracing system becomes better (bottom right: the measurements combined for a second wave not to occur). Three quarters of people with Covid-19 would need to be tested and self-isolate to prevent a second wave caused by schools reopening (file photo of children heading to class yesterday in northern Germany, as school resumed after the summer break, left). Experts found that, to prevent a second wave when schools reopen, the NHS contact tracing system must reach 68 per cent of cases and their contacts (a doctor takes a nasal swab to test for a possible coronavirus infection, bottom centre, inset). But the current NHS system is 'not good enough'. It reaches half of contacts and only a fraction of symptomatic cases are tested, according to researchers from University College London and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    chilling said:

Haysie, this is going to be my last interaction with you for a long while, the following will explain why.
    You can’t seem to grasp the fact that the virus will be circulating for the foreseeable.

I have said from the very beginning that there appeared to be two ways out.
    These were herd immunity or a vaccine, nether of which would be possible any time soon.
    I have certainly not made any claims on this thread about the virus disappearing in the near future.

So it’s scientific advice + Input from others, that needs to be applied to try and get the economy going.

You dont seem to understand that measures required to stop the spread and save lives are likely to be at odds with measures required to restart the economy.
    My point was that The Government should make the difference clear.
    The Government seem to be including all advice under the saving lives heading, when some measures that are clearly designed to re-open the economy, will increase the spread, and cost lives.

Governments will come out and say they are trying to keep everybody safe ( unless you’re in Brazil ) because less spread means over all less potential deaths.

Less than what?

But like all over countries that have high rates, its CONTROLLING the virus that is the issue. Think hospitals and the economy.If there is a big second wave here, that is going to be catastrophic for this country, expect the hammer to come down. Reporting from other countries implies the same, even Germany.That will possibly be the time for the army to take to the streets , as there are so many that have no respect for our police forces.

Some of the measure taken are likely to guarantee a second wave.

Advice given out at anytime will fall on some death ears, think beaches, pubs, demonstrations,raves , Vespas post on a carefree attitude up north in some places.

There is a difference between advice, and behaviour.
    The Government advice has been confusing, and illogical.
    They have had to u-turn on numerous occasions.

A quick word on the Charlie Hebdo comment.
    It would be quite obvious to most folk that I know it’s a newspaper and not an individual, as that’s an old story and obviously by me bringing that up, I’m very familiar with it.
    By having a typo, “ his” instead of “ its”, makes it hardly worth mentioning.
    Unless of course, you’re looking to score a point.

A very difficult typo to make. and was completely irrelevant to the debate

Just a quick mention on something Madprof said about Boris being an a rse licker to Trump.
    The USA are probably our biggest ally, a fairly large trading partner, although we run a deficit like most others ,but both Boris and Trump are big characters, have their own ideas, so where does the a rse licking come into it? Because we have a “special” relationship with them, or is it because of 5G? Europe are taking a more thorough look at China over their 5G. Sorry, can’t see any a rse licking going on so far.

Specsavers then?

WHO call a pandemic on March11th, announce that it’s advisable to wear masks on June6th.
    A very fast, decisive action taken there, NOT.
    Test, Test, Test. A message to the whole world,every country, knowing full well that not every country, in fact most,hadn’t the capabilities to carry that out. To serve the purpose,everybody would need testing,ill or not, constantly.

Many countries have acted independently, and havent needed The WHO to tell them what to do.
    There was an admission the other day that the wearing of masks was not advised, because it would further exacerbate the PPE shortage in the NHS.
    Sage advised against wearing masks early on.
    The following is taken from an article dated 28th April.
    The UK government received advice on face masks from the scientific advisory group for emergencies (Sage) last week, but has not yet decided on its approach.
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-does-the-science-tell-us-about-face-masks-11974681
    To maximise the benefits of testing it has to be done in conjunction with tracing. So far we have made a pigs ear of both.

As I stated in a post on March 19th, the PPE wasn’t available,and just because you are the NHS, whom normally have some clout/buying power, in times of desperate need by numerous countries,that will count for diddly. In fact quite the reverse, supply and demand kicks in, and who gets on with who. Then throw in logistics and distribution when after you manage to acquire some. It’s ok now obviously, as thousands of companies are making it, but at the time it was needed, it wasn’t there. You can’t produce it out of thin air, and as all countries found out to their cost, the lack meant massive transmissions in their hospitals. A major sufferer were Mexico, probably the hardest hit, and still ongoing, as well as Brazil.

I dont intend to go through this again.
    The PPE fiasco is well documented, and obvious to anyone that has closely followed the story

This lack of PPE , which was to the most part made in the East,and was nowhere to be had, was the main reason for so many deaths in care homes.

This is absolute nonsense.
    The Government have admitted that the main cause of deaths in care homes were the 25,000 untested patients that were released from hospitals into care homes.
    The excuses that they have put forward have been proven to be lies.

It’s a harsh thing to do, but if the the choice was between the NHS or care homes with what was available, then heads NHS, tails NHS.There are a lot of sick folks in hospital most of the time, the NHS is obviously the priority.

The NHS wasnt under threat. The Nightingale Hospitals were barely used.

Some say that private care should have stocked up on PPE Incase of a pandemic,

Why wasnt the NHS prepared?

but some private care homes, some charging £1500 a week,are in trouble through their debt.Some of the elderly who were put into the care homes from hospitals, may have had a Covid or not.Some elderly might have not had it leaving hospital, but caught it in the home.

They were immediately locked down.

Anybody could have caused a spread in a home, anybody that went inside.Managers, staff,deliveries of any sort,maintenance or cleaners etc, that could be a long list.

No tests were available to them.

The average amount of folk who pass on in care per annum is about 100,000. So one day they’ll be an enquiring,but any significant findings will likely be scarce,as it’s near impossible to find out who transmitted it to who, especially has so many staff were off, about 20%. I am aware of some elderly who had Covid being moved to hospitals, with advice hopefully, from the hospital and for care home managers.It was always going to be a tough task for care homes,but at that time, needs must. Some would have come from the homes into the hospitals anyway.It all sounds harsh, but what’s worse is having all your hospitals with outbreaks.

They could have been tested in hospital before releasing them.
    They could have kept them in a little longer to be sure.
    Do you understand what excess deaths are?
    Why do you think we have the highest rate in Europe?

That would be far, far worse. The NHS staff would be in short supply, as they were to a degree, that’s why reinforcements were called for.
    In that same post, it was thought the kids were spreading the virus in Italy, that’s why I made the reference. Now, after time, they have a different opinion on that issue.
    Schools opening up here or not, is referring to the amount of folks in circulation,( getting back to something near normality) not the fact that there could be spread via schools. It’s taking into account all areas of the economy, and the amount of movement in it.

Why do you think that they are discussing closing down stuff in order to reopen schools?
    For instance they have said they might have to close pubs, etc, in order to reopen them.
    Why would they contemplate this if they didnt expect the virus to be spread in schools and pubs?

There are a lack of paragraphs because I have to go back and top up a few bits, and can’t be a rsed to sort that out.

House rules.
    In the rules it says “please note that each user is solely responsible for the accuracy and authenticity of the content they post”.
    Now, you’re likely say I’m a hypocrite, but I try to look at things realistically, or without any agenda.
    As I’ve stated, hands up to posting a few things that aren’t really suitable,especially in the humour thread.
    The rules state “accuracy of your content,” which,as a large majority of your posts involve newspapers articles , and cartoons, on different threads, I regard that as not accurate content,and bullying. It’s purely propaganda,that gets bumped every day, which I regard as repetitive, spam.
    I’m not sure how you get away with it, the papers are rarely accurate and always have an agenda.

I post articles to encourage debate.
    If anyone wishes to debate the authenticity of any article, they are welcome to do so.
    If there was no difference of opinion, what would be the point of a forum?

I am not sure how bullying figures in all this?
    Many of the posts are front pages of the various papers, and you should complain to them if you find them repetitive.

Maybe because you are part of the furniture, but I thought the idea was to have more folk come onto the rail. Your propaganda won’t help that cause, I’m sure.
    The bullying part will be explained later in shots , as will my other comments on this post.

I suppose that if you consider that my posts are propaganda, then it would be difficult to argue that yours arent.
    The fact that you can right off one side of an argument as propaganda is surely propaganda.
    Alternatively you could forward a reasoned, logical argument in response, instead of using the propaganda argument to dismiss anything I have to say.
    You seem unable to enter a debate, and avoid answering question at all costs.
    I asked you a number of relevant questions the other day, and your response was the ridiculous, and irrelevant question about compensation.
    I was genuinely asking the questions to get your views rather than to score points.

It’s about sharing content that ridicules, which is regarded as bullying online, especially as it repeatedly involves the same people. Hiding behind the “ freedom of the press” I presume.

Ridiculing who?

I could pick apart most of your paper articles,because most are inaccurate and merely clickbait, but, what’s the point.

Isnt that the point of a forum?

Your last question is very easy to answer.
    Those areas have a big spike in cases, and they hold big populations of Muslims,Asians etc, which does affect strategy. For their own benefit,and for others,especially around their time of celebration,there is the potential of mass gatherings in their homes and gardens. Certain groups they think are more susceptible,so it makes sense. Whereas in a pub, there is “ supposed” to be some sort of supervision and order.

So the spikes preceded the mass gatherings?

I thought the point I was making was easy to understand, which was what is the point of stopping you meeting people in your home or garden, when you can meet up with exactly the same people in a pub or restaurant?
    So despite the fact you thought it was an easy question to answer, you didnt.

Unfortunately, yourself and your political agenda will fail to see that.
    As you’ve insulted me and others numerous times, I’ll stoop to your level.
    Are you familiar with the phrase “ There’s no fool like an old fool?”

Insulted you how?

Have a nice day.

You too.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    chilling said:

Haysie, this is going to be my last interaction with you for a long while, the following will explain why.
    You can’t seem to grasp the fact that the virus will be circulating for the foreseeable.
    So it’s scientific advice + Input from others, that needs to be applied to try and get the economy going. Governments will come out and say they are trying to keep everybody safe ( unless you’re in Brazil ) because less spread means over all less potential deaths. But like all over countries that have high rates, its CONTROLLING the virus that is the issue. Think hospitals and the economy.If there is a big second wave here, that is going to be catastrophic for this country, expect the hammer to come down. Reporting from other countries implies the same, even Germany.That will possibly be the time for the army to take to the streets , as there are so many that have no respect for our police forces.
    Advice given out at anytime will fall on some death ears, think beaches, pubs, demonstrations,raves , Vespas post on a carefree attitude up north in some places.

It would be quite obvious to most folk that I know it’s a newspaper and not an individual, as that’s an old story and obviously by me bringing that up, I’m very familiar with it.

Just a quick mention on something Madprof said about Boris being an a rse licker to Trump.
    The USA are probably our biggest ally, a fairly large trading partner, although we run a deficit like most others ,but both Boris and Trump are big characters, have their own ideas, so where does the a rse licking come into it? Because we have a “special” relationship with them, or is it because of 5G? Europe are taking a more thorough look at China over their 5G. Sorry, can’t see any a rse licking going on so far.

WHO call a pandemic on March11th, announce that it’s advisable to wear masks on June6th.
    Test, Test, Test. A message to the whole world,every country, knowing full well that not every country, in fact most,hadn’t the capabilities to carry that out. To serve the purpose,everybody would need testing,ill or not, constantly.

As I stated in a post on March 19th, the PPE wasn’t available,and just because you are the NHS, whom normally have some clout/buying power, in times of desperate need by numerous countries,that will count for diddly. In fact quite the reverse, supply and demand kicks in, and who gets on with who. Then throw in logistics and distribution when after you manage to acquire some. It’s ok now obviously, as thousands of companies are making it, but at the time it was needed, it wasn’t there. You can’t produce it out of thin air, and as all countries found out to their cost, the lack meant massive transmissions in their hospitals. A major sufferer were Mexico, probably the hardest hit, and still ongoing, as well as Brazil.
    This lack of PPE , which was to the most part made in the East,and was nowhere to be had, was the main reason for so many deaths in care homes. It’s a harsh thing to do, but if the the choice was between the NHS or care homes with what was available, then heads NHS, tails NHS.There are a lot of sick folks in hospital most of the time, the NHS is obviously the priority.Some say that private care should have stocked up on PPE Incase of a pandemic, but some private care homes, some charging £1500 a week,are in trouble through their debt.Some of the elderly who were put into the care homes from hospitals, may have had a Covid or not.Some elderly might have not had it leaving hospital, but caught it in the home. Anybody could have caused a spread in a home, anybody that went inside.Managers, staff,deliveries of any sort,maintenance or cleaners etc, that could be a long list. The average amount of folk who pass on in care per annum is about 100,000. So one day they’ll be an enquiring,but any significant findings will likely be scarce,as it’s near impossible to find out who transmitted it to who, especially has so many staff were off, about 20%. I am aware of some elderly who had Covid being moved to hospitals, with advice hopefully, from the hospital and for care home managers.It was always going to be a tough task for care homes,but at that time, needs must. Some would have come from the homes into the hospitals anyway.It all sounds harsh, but what’s worse is having all your hospitals with outbreaks. That would be far, far worse. The NHS staff would be in short supply, as they were to a degree, that’s why reinforcements were called for.
    In that same post, it was thought the kids were spreading the virus in Italy, that’s why I made the reference. Now, after time, they have a different opinion on that issue.
    Schools opening up here or not, is referring to the amount of folks in circulation,( getting back to something near normality) not the fact that there could be spread via schools. It’s taking into account all areas of the economy, and the amount of movement in it.
    There are a lack of paragraphs because I have to go back and top up a few bits, and can’t be a rsed to sort that out.

House rules.
    In the rules it says “please note that each user is solely responsible for the accuracy and authenticity of the content they post”.
    Now, you’re likely say I’m a hypocrite, but I try to look at things realistically, or without any agenda.
    As I’ve stated, hands up to posting a few things that aren’t really suitable,especially in the humour thread.
    The rules state “accuracy of your content,” which,as a large majority of your posts involve newspapers articles , and cartoons, on different threads, I regard that as not accurate content,and bullying. It’s purely propaganda,that gets bumped every day, which I regard as repetitive, spam.
    I’m not sure how you get away with it, the papers are rarely accurate and always have an agenda.
    Maybe because you are part of the furniture, but I thought the idea was to have more folk come onto the rail. Your propaganda won’t help that cause, I’m sure.
    The bullying part will be explained later in shots , as will my other comments on this post.
    It’s about sharing content that ridicules, which is regarded as bullying online, especially as it repeatedly involves the same people. Hiding behind the “ freedom of the press” I presume.
    I could pick apart most of your paper articles,because most are inaccurate and merely clickbait, but, what’s the point.
    Those areas have a big spike in cases, and they hold big populations of Muslims,Asians etc, which does affect strategy. For their own benefit,and for others,especially around their time of celebration,there is the potential of mass gatherings in their homes and gardens. Certain groups they think are more susceptible,so it makes sense. Whereas in a pub, there is “ supposed” to be some sort of supervision and order.

Have a nice day.

Quarantine fiasco allowed 10,000 infected arrivals into the UK

Failure to introduce quarantine at the start of the coronavirus outbreak led to 10,000 infected people entering the UK, accelerating the spread of disease, an investigation by MPs has found.

The all-party home affairs committee said the Government's "inexplicable" decision to lift restrictions on about one million people who arrived in the UK between March 13 and lockdown on March 23 contributed to the pace and scale of the Covid-19 outbreak.

They said this "highly unusual approach" to the pandemic contrasted with other countries - from Singapore and New Zealand to Spain - that were introducing more comprehensive measures, including quarantine and self-isolation for international arrivals.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/quarantine-fiasco-allowed-10-000-infected-arrivals-into-the-uk/ar-BB17zwcx?ocid=msedgdhp

Propaganda?
    Spam?
    Or maybe another Government co ck up?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

So it’s scientific advice + Input from others, that needs to be applied to try and get the economy going. Governments will come out and say they are trying to keep everybody safe ( unless you’re in Brazil ) because less spread means over all less potential deaths. But like all over countries that have high rates, its CONTROLLING the virus that is the issue. Think hospitals and the economy.If there is a big second wave here, that is going to be catastrophic for this country, expect the hammer to come down. Reporting from other countries implies the same, even Germany.That will possibly be the time for the army to take to the streets , as there are so many that have no respect for our police forces.

This lack of PPE , which was to the most part made in the East,and was nowhere to be had, was the main reason for so many deaths in care homes. It’s a harsh thing to do, but if the the choice was between the NHS or care homes with what was available, then heads NHS, tails NHS.There are a lot of sick folks in hospital most of the time, the NHS is obviously the priority.Some say that private care should have stocked up on PPE Incase of a pandemic, but some private care homes, some charging £1500 a week,are in trouble through their debt.Some of the elderly who were put into the care homes from hospitals, may have had a Covid or not.Some elderly might have not had it leaving hospital, but caught it in the home. Anybody could have caused a spread in a home, anybody that went inside.Managers, staff,deliveries of any sort,maintenance or cleaners etc, that could be a long list. The average amount of folk who pass on in care per annum is about 100,000. So one day they’ll be an enquiring,but any significant findings will likely be scarce,as it’s near impossible to find out who transmitted it to who, especially has so many staff were off, about 20%. I am aware of some elderly who had Covid being moved to hospitals, with advice hopefully, from the hospital and for care home managers.It was always going to be a tough task for care homes,but at that time, needs must. Some would have come from the homes into the hospitals anyway.It all sounds harsh, but what’s worse is having all your hospitals with outbreaks. That would be far, far worse. The NHS staff would be in short supply, as they were to a degree, that’s why reinforcements were called for.

House rules.

Have a nice day.

Lack of special border measures before UK coronavirus lockdown was 'serious mistake'

The government’s failure to impose special border measures such as mandatory self-isolation in the run-up to the UK coronavirus lockdown was “a serious mistake” that significantly increased the pace and scale of the epidemic, MPs have concluded in a damning report.

Between January and mid-March, non-mandatory guidance to self-isolate for 14 days was issued to travellers from designated high-risk countries, including China, Iran and Italy, but not Spain. Yet on 13 March this guidance was withdrawn.

Evidence suggests thousands of new infections were brought in from continental Europe in the 10 days between the withdrawal of guidance and the introduction of lockdown on 23 March, the home affairs select committee says in the report.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lack-of-special-border-measures-before-uk-coronavirus-lockdown-was-serious-mistake/ar-BB17zmkK?ocid=msedgdhp

• Options

The Guardian leads with a warning by the Labour leader, Sir Keir Starmer, that Britain faces a "long, bleak winter" unless ministers fix the test-and-trace system and halt a second wave of coronavirus.

In an article for the paper, Sir Keir says there's "precious little evidence" of serious preparation for a resurgence, and urges Boris Johnson to set out the "hard decisions" he's prepared to take to keep schools open if cases rise.

A suggestion by the children's commissioner for England that pubs and shops should close so that schools can reopen if a trade-off has to be made, makes the lead for the Daily Telegraph.

The paper reports that Anne Longfield has criticised ministers for treating children as an "afterthought" during lockdown and insisted that they must be put at the heart of planning for a second wave.

The Daily Mail leads with what it calls the "huge toll" on non-coronavirus patients during lockdown.

It says a survey of senior doctors has revealed that those suffering from cancer, heart conditions, strokes, diabetes or lung disease are among the worst affected by delays to their diagnosis and care.

The paper's leader column takes up their plight, calling them the "hidden victims" of the pandemic.

It says that in all the clamour over fears of a second wave of infections, their voices are being drowned out.

It points out that by the end of the pandemic, deaths from other causes may well exceed those from the virus itself.

So why, it asks, is there so little urgency among health service managers to get back to business as usual?

There appears to be little evidence of business as usual in Whitehall, despite government efforts to get civil servants back to their offices.

According to the Daily Telegraph, the government's drive to set an example to the rest of the country has suffered a blow after it emerged that some civil servants don't expect to return full-time until the New Year.

One civil servant tells the paper: "You come in maybe a day a week to show your face."

The Daily Mail says that even with new social distancing policies, many civil servants appear too frightened to step across the threshold.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-53658847
  • Options
    chilling said:

Donald Trump claims HE made Boris Johnson shift his stance on Huawei's 5G access during a 'big and tough talk'

The US President said he had a 'big and tough talk' with the Prime Minister, and threatened to stop doing business with Britain if he went ahead with his plan.

• Options
    chilling said:

For the whole sorry story, you should read the article in full.

Coronavirus: Safety concerns halt use of 50 million NHS masks

Fifty million face masks bought by the government in April will not be used in the NHS because of safety concerns.

The government says the masks, which use ear-loop fastenings rather than head loops, may not fit tightly enough.

They were bought for healthcare workers from supplier Ayanda Capital as part of a £252m contract.

Ayanda says the masks met the specifications the government had set out. The government says its safety standards process is "robust".

It has emerged that the person who originally approached the government about the deal was a government trade adviser who also advises the board of Ayanda.

But he told the BBC his position played no part in the awarding of the contract.

PPE failings identified by National Audit Office

Calling for a National Audit Office investigation into the government's "mishandling of PPE procurement", Labour MP Rachel Reeves said: "The latest PPE scandal cannot be swept under the carpet."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53672841

Rachel Reeves
    @RachelReevesMP
    ·
    2h
    The Conservative Government allowed the PPE stockpile to run down & then bought 50 million unusable masks from an offshore finance company with no history of providing NHS equipment. Our health workers were not fully protected. Tragically lives were lost. https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53672841

Rachel Reeves
    @RachelReevesMP
    The latest PPE scandal cannot be swept under the carpet. Last month Labour called for a National Audit Office investigation into the Government’s mishandling of PPE procurement. These mistakes can never happen again. We owe it to all those who care for us.

• Options
    The Guardian leads with an exclusive warning from doctors' leaders that shutting down non-Covid NHS services to deal with any second wave will leave thousands of patients unacceptably "stranded", risking more deaths.

The President of the Royal College of Surgeons in England, Professor Neil Mortensen, tells the paper: "The NHS must never again be a Covid-only service. There's a duty to the thousands of patients waiting in need and pain to make sure they can be treated."

His words are echoed by BMA Council chairman Dr Chaand Nagpaul, who says patients must be able to access diagnostic tests and care when they need it.

The paper says 30,000 to 40,000 patients could not start cancer treatment from April to June as hospitals suspended services. One patient it provides as a case study had to fight to rebook a scan on a brain tumour which was cancelled when lockdown began in March and had been flagged as urgent.

"Watchdog is called on to probe Cummings' 2nd lockdown trip" is the Daily Mirror's front page.

The paper reports that a couple who insist they saw Dominic Cummings at a beauty spot in County Durham on the 19 April - after his first trip to the north-east and return to London - have made a complaint that officers did not investigate properly.

There is coverage, too, of research published in The Lancet on how the controversy impacted on public confidence in the government. "Dom's dash to Durham did lead to more rule flouting" is the the Daily Mail's take.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-53688277
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Some folks are more worried than others regarding mask wearing.
    If they choose to wear them, let them.
    If the truth be known, then everybody would have a mask on all day, unless at home alone, or outside with no close contact with anybody.

Eating with a mask on is a non starter. Unless of course, the meal gets blended in a glass and sucked through a straw via a tiny whole in ones mask, after the bung is carefully removed.

Haysie, why don’t you try to come up with some conclusions yourself?

This government is quite liberal imo, they are reluctant to force anybody to do anything.
    But that doesn’t mean there might come a time they force the issue. Think hospital capacity.

Confused, you're not alone! Fewer than HALF of us now know what the lockdown rules actually are, compared with 90% in March

University College London researchers found that only 45 per cent of people in England understand the lockdown rules, compared with 90 per cent understanding the rules in March.

The vulnerable will always be vulnerable.
    If folks struggled with’ stay alert’ , just two words, then a list of advice or rule changes will be lost on them, as things open up and close down again.
    Maybe reduce the message to one word.

• Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

If the truth be known, then everybody would have a mask on all day, unless at home alone, or outside with no close contact with anybody.

Eating with a mask on is a non starter. Unless of course, the meal gets blended in a glass and sucked through a straw via a tiny whole in ones mask, after the bung is carefully removed.

This government is quite liberal imo, they are reluctant to force anybody to do anything.
    But that doesn’t mean there might come a time they force the issue. Think hospital capacity.

Confused, you're not alone! Fewer than HALF of us now know what the lockdown rules actually are, compared with 90% in March

University College London researchers found that only 45 per cent of people in England understand the lockdown rules, compared with 90 per cent understanding the rules in March.

If folks struggled with’ stay alert’ , just two words, then a list of advice or rule changes will be lost on them, as things open up and close down again.
    'Rapid-response' coronavirus test hailed as a 'game-changer' for the UK has NOT been approved by regulator and there's no evidence it is accurate

Health secretary Matt Hancock believes the two tests will enable the country to return to work as people with Covid-19 can be rapidly told to isolate, reducing the

• Options
    chilling said:

You have to take an overview on the pandemic, and the economy needs to gain traction.
    The hospitalizations are actually quite low, considering the virus has been in the UK for months.
    The death rate could probably have been halved with hindsight.
    So, for the time being, the hospitals can cope.
    I read an article on testosterone playing a role. Under 11’s won’t be getting up to what the older kids may be getting up to.And you would expect U11,s to have younger parents in most cases,although not all.
    The teachers should have a concern about wearing a mask in school, but you can supposedly catch it through your eyes too. Older teachers,more vulnerable teachers, should weigh up their own risk.
    Transmissions won’t cease anytime soon.
    I’d doubt the current hospitalization numbers will change that much.
    Maybe in months to come they will, if so,and if higher, there will be changes in advice, which is obv.

The current advice isn’t a path out, it’s steps at a time, and the advice could get changed in an instant.
    You have to take an overview of the whole situation,and incidents will happen.
    As will be highlighted by the media.

Thats over 270,000.

Facebook, Twitter remove Trump posts over false claims children are 'almost immune' to Covid

Facebook Inc on Wednesday took down a post by U.S. President Donald Trump, which the company said violated its rules against sharing misinformation about the coronavirus.

The post contained a video clip, from an interview with Fox & Friends earlier in the day, in which Trump claimed that children are "almost immune" to COVID-19.

A tweet containing the video that was posted by the Trump campaign's @TeamTrump account and shared by the president was also later hidden by Twitter Inc for breaking its COVID-19 misinformation rules.

An analysis by the World Health Organization of 6 million infections between Feb. 24 and July 12 found that the share of children aged 5-14 years was about 4.6%

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/facebook-twitter-remove-trump-posts-041656346.html

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

You have to take an overview on the pandemic, and the economy needs to gain traction.
    The hospitalizations are actually quite low, considering the virus has been in the UK for months.
    I read an article on testosterone playing a role. Under 11’s won’t be getting up to what the older kids may be getting up to.And you would expect U11,s to have younger parents in most cases,although not all.
    The teachers should have a concern about wearing a mask in school, but you can supposedly catch it through your eyes too. Older teachers,more vulnerable teachers, should weigh up their own risk.
    Maybe in months to come they will, if so,and if higher, there will be changes in advice, which is obv.

The current advice isn’t a path out, it’s steps at a time, and the advice could get changed in an instant.

Thats over 270,000.

Facebook, Twitter remove Trump posts over false claims children are 'almost immune' to Covid

Facebook Inc on Wednesday took down a post by U.S. President Donald Trump, which the company said violated its rules against sharing misinformation about the coronavirus.

The post contained a video clip, from an interview with Fox & Friends earlier in the day, in which Trump claimed that children are "almost immune" to COVID-19.

A tweet containing the video that was posted by the Trump campaign's @TeamTrump account and shared by the president was also later hidden by Twitter Inc for breaking its COVID-19 misinformation rules.

An analysis by the World Health Organization of 6 million infections between Feb. 24 and July 12 found that the share of children aged 5-14 years was about 4.6%

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/facebook-twitter-remove-trump-posts-041656346.html

Up to 16 children and staff are told to self-isolate at home after Covid outbreak at nursery in locked-down Bury - but centre is allowed to stay open

A spokeswoman for Mulberry Bush Nursery in Whitefield, Bury confirmed that a single individual 'bubble' of children has been affected by the coronavirus.

• Options
    chilling said:

I don’t need to read the article, I’ve followed the pandemic from the outset.
    Sure there have been mistakes made, by our government and other countries.
    Whether you can hold anybody accountable is another matter.
    It’s mighty difficult
    to prove who anybody caught the virus from.
    There are plenty of countries around the world that have had their care sectors hit.
    In some countries, patients were tagged to see if they worth saving or not.
    If they weren’t, they got sent home.
    Each individual death in the care sector will need to be scrutinised at some stage in the future, for events leading up the death. Just one court case may set the precedent.Who gave the final order for each individual to be moved out of hospital would be a starting point.
    I don’t think the percentages for the survival of the elderly Covid patients in hospital would be that high.
    In all walks of life there are some that aren’t as professional as others. I’ve seen things in hospitals and even by folks that work for Macmillan’s , with my own eyes, that I deemed unprofessional. It would only take one in a care home to fall short on following rules to cause a spread. Look up the definition of super spreader. One person can cause a pandemic.
    Of course, those falling short will be a minuscule amount.
    Some care staff were too afraid to go in, or had other illnesses, that led to staffing shortages, which led to workers covering for multiple homes, hence more spread.
    ‘ Thrown to the wolves’ one for the media, standard.
    The government strategy will be regarded as responsible for some spread and deaths, but that’s a worldwide problem.
    The virus is still here, still circulating, so are the worlds leaders responsible for every transmission and death?
    Are business owners responsible for their staff and customers if they die through catching the virus on their premises? Think not.
    Unless you find out each piece of advice given out by the government, down the various lines to the shop floor, then that would be a starting point for an investigation.

As you’ve stated, you loathe Boris and the government,your right, but sometimes you need to pop your head out of your anti government bubble and have a look around.

Coronavirus: Randox recalls up to 750,000 test kits over safety concerns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53705229
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

• Options
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

The science thing is a bit vague Haysie, the Government have made it so.

They can't be tied up in giving advise that might not be correct. It's vagueness until bulletproof stuff is in I would assume.

That's my 2p pence added to the science part and what I think is happening with the advise.

My point was that the Government claimed from the word go that they were merely following the science, and therefore couldn't be blamed for the measures they put in place.

They famously showed footage of 3 Ministers exiting a Pret a Manger, two were wearing masks, and Michael Gove wasn't. This wasn't particularly earth shattering, but it did illustrate the confusion.

The science clearly shows that wearing masks will limit the spreading of the virus.

Making the wearing of masks compulsory in situations where social distancing is difficult therefore makes sense.

The risk of spreading the virus in a sandwich shop is not reduced by eating in rather than taking away.

So how can this advice be based on science?

Logically the risk will increase by spending time with others eating food without the protection of a mask.

I would agree that the economy will be screwed unless businesses get up and running.

I would also agree that it is difficult to eat food wearing a mask.

That is not what the Government is saying..

They maintain they are following the science.

What is the difference between sitting next to someone on a plane with no social distancing, or sitting next to the same person in the cinema?

Coronavirus is spread when droplets are sprayed into the air when infected people talk, cough or sneeze. Those droplets can then fall on surfaces.
    The WHO says there is also emerging evidence of airborne transmission of the virus, with tiny particles hanging in aerosol form in the air.

This will not change whether you are eating or not, or whether you are sat on a plane or in a cinema.
    It’s not like you to miss the point Tony?🤪

The govt followed the scientific advice when it suited!

They cherry picked the advice to suit the situation and their agenda

From the outset, before the pandemic hit hard, the WHO gave THE WORLD 3 pieces of advice:
    TEST TEST, TEST! ( I don’t mean Roger Daltrey...)

Wearing masks was good enough for most other countries to reduce the spread...

The imbecile formerly known as DomCum hatched a herd immunity plan which was based on 75% of the UK population getting it with the majority surviving it....( there were Preliminary plans for a mass grave of 50,000+ bodies in Victoria Park , Hackney for deaths in north London alone so the plan was to expect 100,000’s...)

In Spain, 1k euro fine if not wearing a mask in most public places...here? Most of the general public are sticking 2 fingers up to wearing a mask...

I had the misfortune last week to be on several trains- 3/10 wearing a mask on the train, mostly younger ones not wearing one as we generally not a compliant society, we only individually think of no 1( generalising of course..) and don’t think of the greater good where masks are concerned

When Trump wouldn’t wear a mask, his little toadie ars kisser Bojo followed suit......and that picture of Dominic Raab at a food bank...makes me want to vomit 🤮 seeing what this govt has done to society In general, never mind sending 25,000+ Old people back to die in nursing homes
    ( I wish I could find the DomCum quotes)

Aaah feel better now...

• Options
    UK will go back into lockdown next month when schools open unless 'disastrous' track and trace system is fixed, government's former chief scientific adviser warns

Sir David King urged the Prime Minister to 'get it right' on test and trace in August ahead of schools reopening - or face a second wave of coronavirus infections.

• Options
    Why Sweden, pilloried by the whole world for refusing to lock down - with schools staying open and no face mask laws - may be having the last laugh as experts say Stockholm is close to achieving herd immunity

IAN BIRRELL: Sweden has one of the highest global death rates from coronavirus. Andrea Tegnell's refusal to impose lockdown on his fellow citizens is held up by critics around the world as a warning against adopting a laissez-faire attitude to this deadly disease. Yet when I asked film production worker Carolinne Liden and her photographer partner Tobias Moe (top right) about the state epidemiologist, their reply was instant. 'He's a hero,' said Carolinne, 35. Certainly every citizen I met on the streets seemed to support the strategy. 'If we look back in a couple of years I think we will be seen to have handled the situation well,' said Hans Isoz (bottom right), an investor in digital companies. Benedikt Furrer (left), an IBM executive, said: 'I work with lots of British colleagues. They said they suffered from being locked down and not being able to roam freely like us.'

• Options
    chilling said:

97,000 children test positive for coronavirus in just two weeks as US schools re-open

Ninety-seven thousand US children tested positive for coronavirus in the second half of July - weeks before schools and universities reopen.

The figures, taken from the American Academy of Pediatrics from July 16 to 30, come as the country tops five million cases - 338,000 of which are children - and over 162,000 deaths.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has said that while adults make up most of the known Covid-19 cases to date, some children and infants have been sick with the disease and they can also transmit it to others.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/97-000-children-test-positive-for-coronavirus-in-just-two-weeks-as-us-schools-re-open/ar-BB17LJDR?ocid=msedgdhp

• Options
    edited August 2020
    chilling said:

I don’t need to read the article, I’ve followed the pandemic from the outset.
    Sure there have been mistakes made, by our government and other countries.
    Whether you can hold anybody accountable is another matter.
    It’s mighty difficult
    to prove who anybody caught the virus from.
    There are plenty of countries around the world that have had their care sectors hit.
    In some countries, patients were tagged to see if they worth saving or not.
    If they weren’t, they got sent home.
    Each individual death in the care sector will need to be scrutinised at some stage in the future, for events leading up the death. Just one court case may set the precedent.Who gave the final order for each individual to be moved out of hospital would be a starting point.
    I don’t think the percentages for the survival of the elderly Covid patients in hospital would be that high.
    In all walks of life there are some that aren’t as professional as others. I’ve seen things in hospitals and even by folks that work for Macmillan’s , with my own eyes, that I deemed unprofessional. It would only take one in a care home to fall short on following rules to cause a spread. Look up the definition of super spreader. One person can cause a pandemic.
    Of course, those falling short will be a minuscule amount.
    Some care staff were too afraid to go in, or had other illnesses, that led to staffing shortages, which led to workers covering for multiple homes, hence more spread.
    ‘ Thrown to the wolves’ one for the media, standard.
    The government strategy will be regarded as responsible for some spread and deaths, but that’s a worldwide problem.
    The virus is still here, still circulating, so are the worlds leaders responsible for every transmission and death?
    Are business owners responsible for their staff and customers if they die through catching the virus on their premises? Think not.
    Unless you find out each piece of advice given out by the government, down the various lines to the shop floor, then that would be a starting point for an investigation.

As you’ve stated, you loathe Boris and the government,your right, but sometimes you need to pop your head out of your anti government bubble and have a look around.

The Daily Telegraph and The Daily Mail lead on the overhaul of the government's test and trace scheme which is variously described as "failing" and "beleaguered". Both highlight that thousands of call centre staff will be sacked, and that local contact tracers will knock on people's doors if they haven't responded to phone calls. The Telegraph editorial says the new track and trace system must inspire confidence, and the consequences of failure would be "calamitous".

The Daily Mirror takes aim at the private firm Serco which it declares "should be axed" from running what it calls the "shambolic" system. It wants the firm's new £300m contract to be cancelled. The paper's editorial is headed "sack Serco, save lives".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-53731214
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said: