You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,983
    Dominic Cummings says government never intended to stick to Brexit deal it signed and would 'ditch bits we didn't like' after 'whacking Corbyn'

In a series of tweets last night, former Downing St aide Dominic Cummings said that the UK should 'of course' be allowed to 'sometimes' break deals 'like every other state does'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10086171/Dominic-Cummings-says-government-never-intended-stick-Brexit-deal-signed.html
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Essexphil said:

With respect, you overvalue the virtue/value of honesty in politicians. Particularly PMs.

Brown was far more honest than Blair. Far nicer man. Post-PM, a greater statesman (reminds me of Jimmy Carter in that respect). But Blair was unquestionably the more effective PM.

The best time to judge Johnson is when he has stepped down. For him, Brexit was the springboard to being PM. He didn't care one way or the other about Brexit-he wanted to do what was Best for Boris. But now he wants to prepare the way to leave, and to cement (or create) his legacy.

It would not surprise me if he actually went for a Swiss-style Brexit deal going forward. It will be dressed up as something different, of course. Faces need to be saved on all sides.Political suicide, of course. But Johnson doesn't think like other politicians. The last thing he needs is to be 1 of many PMs who have been tarnished over their dealings on the island of Ireland. I don't like him-but I actually think he is our best chance of moving forward. Because what is Best for Boris might, just might, also be what is Best for Britain. In the near future.

People in the UK tend to want something to blame. Blaming Brexit is no different to blaming the EU. Businesses have always needed to adapt or fail. But the failing ones always seem to blame change, rather than their failure to adapt. So, to a lesser extent, do people. In its way, it is no different to people trying to blame the RNG here.

Having said all that, Farage and Widdecombe would definitely and probably (in that order) be in my Bottom 5.

'Don't sign anything!' Ireland warns against trade deals with UK over Cummings' claims

"If the British Government doesn't honour its agreements, it doesn't adhere to treaties it signs, that must apply to everyone else too.

"At the moment they're going around the world, they're trying to negotiate new trade agreements... Surely the message must go out to all countries around the world that this is a British Government that doesn't necessarily keep its word and doesn't necessarily honour the agreements it makes.

"And you shouldn't make any agreements with them until such time as you're confident that they keep their promises, and honour things, for example, like the protocol."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/don-t-sign-anything-ireland-warns-against-trade-deals-with-uk-over-cummings-claims/ar-AAPss9i?ocid=msedgntp

No 10 was going to ‘ditch’ Brexit deal and Johnson ‘didn’t have a Scooby-Doo’ what it meant, Cummings claims

Instead, Mr Johnson “never had a scoobydoo what the deal he signed meant”, did not understand what leaving the Customs Union meant until the eleventh-hour of trade deal negotiations in November 2020, and claimed in January that year he would have “never signed” the Brexit withdrawal agreement “if I’d understood it”, Mr Cummings alleged.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/no-10-was-going-to-ditch-brexit-deal-and-johnson-didn-t-have-a-scooby-doo-what-it-meant-cummings-claims/ar-AAPsVE2?ocid=msedgntp

Brexit: Expert explains row over NI Protocol concessions
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/brexit-expert-explains-row-over-ni-protocol-concessions/vi-AAPtPLH?ocid=msedgntp

Article 16 time bomb looms: Frost ready to deploy nuclear option - EU Brexit cave trashed

The deputy leader of the European Research Group of Conservative MPs similarly warned the plans were not enough.

"We can't leave it with simply a bit of tinkering at the edges," he said.

"What they appear to be suggesting is that they would apply the protocol in the way that we thought they would be applying it at the outset.

"So it's quite clear that they are not beyond using the protocol as a weapon against the UK and I frankly wouldn't trust them not to do the same again."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/article-16-time-bomb-looms-frost-ready-to-deploy-nuclear-option-eu-brexit-cave-trashed/ar-AAPtBgZ?ocid=msedgntp

EU prepares for worst as Brexit divide remains

But the former top civil servant at the Department for Exiting the EU, Philip Rycroft, said he was “puzzled” by London’s fixation on the ECJ issue, which the UK had known was an EU red line from the start.

“Seeking to overturn that does beg a question about what the UK thought it was signing up to?” he told Times Radio. “And indeed its resolve to stick with the protocol for the long term.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/eu-prepares-for-worst-as-brexit-divide-remains/ar-AAPtWmj?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

£1.22 in Stoke

£1.25 in Rhyl

£1.23 in Bangor

The only thing driving the "average" price up is the rip off £1.39 -£1.45 per litre charged by motorway and other self styled service stations.

Keep it real, better out.

Outrage as petrol prices rise by 22p during pandemic

Petrol prices are 22p per litre more expensive than a year ago, but in 2020 the fuel supply chain took advantage of falling prices and “ripped off the UK’s 37 million drivers”, FairFuelUK has said.

It explained that last year when oil prices fell 37.39% in sterling compared to the 12 months prior, wholesale petrol price fell by 14.29% and pump prices fell by just 9.68%.

This meant a "staggering 48.4% increase in fuel supply chain profits” as average filling up profits for petrol rose from 9.3p ($0.13) per litre to 13.8p, it found.

Similarly, wholesale diesel price fell by 13.7% but pump prices fell by just 10.06%, which the organisation said increased supply chain profits by 25.71%.

It estimates average filling up profits for diesel rose from 12.2p per litre to 15.3p.

“It is worse than stomach-churning that the fuel supply chain has knowingly used COVID to rip off UK’s 37 million drivers,” said Howard Cox, founder of FairFuelUK.

“To exploit a national crisis and screw the world's highest taxed drivers, to line their pockets is scandalous. For decades, wholesalers have ripped off drivers at will, but this time they have reached a new low.”

UK car insurance provider RAC said May was the seventh consecutive month to experience a rise in the price of petrol – which is now 22p per litre more expensive than a year ago. This was the biggest 12-month increase seen in 11 years, the company said.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/uk-petrol-prices-rise-during-pandemic-132206115.html
    £1.21 at Sainsburys Stoke this morning
    £1.22 at Asda Wolstanton
    £1.23 at Tesco Longton
    £1.23 Morrisons Festival Park
    More bs?

Price of petrol hits a NINE YEAR HIGH of 140.22p per litre - just 2p short of the all-time record reached in 2012

Average UK petrol prices are now just 2p off the record high seen in April 2012. Prices have risen by nearly 26p-a-litre in just 12 months, from 114.50p on this day last year - up 22%.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-10096717/Price-petrol-hits-NINE-YEAR-HIGH-140-22p-litre.html
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    I think John Cleese gets it…

https://youtu.be/ULfqhCNHQPA
  • Options
    I know, I know…I’m Boris bashing again.

However at what should have been a solemn moment, paying his respects today to the tragic murder of sir David Amess, did you notice Boris look away twice, when Kier Starmer stayed focussed?

Presumably the BBC had a pretty young female ready to ‘ interview’ him?

The man has no redeeming qualities, he appalls me on every level
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897
    I just spent 2 hrs writing and then deleting 2 posts to come up with the reality is what ever we post is irrelevant the government will do what ever it wants to do , we all voted they won and now have to live with it until the nexted election ,
    Enjoy your votes live with it and go with the flow
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897
    Another thing is surely would a proportional representational voting system in the UK not be a better system to represent the feelings of the UK and bring us all closer together .... just a thought
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    HANSON said:

Another thing is surely would a proportional representational voting system in the UK not be a better system to represent the feelings of the UK and bring us all closer together .... just a thought

For sure, but both main parties are against it, as they would both lose out.
    I cant stand Nigel Farage.
    If you look at the vote share in 2015.
    The Tories got almost 3 times as many votes as UKIP.
    Yet the Tories got 331 seats, and UKIP got 1.
    So the Tories got just over 11million votes for 331 seats.
    Labour just over 9 million for 232.
    UKIP almost 4 million for 1.
    Lib Dems almost 2,5 million for 8.
    SNP less than 1,5 million for 56.
    Try explaining that to someone from Mars.

The first past the post system gives the two major parties the majority of seats.
    Any change would therefore have to be voted for by them.
    Turkeys voting for Christmas.
    Not going to happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results

In 2017 the SNP got less than a million votes for 35 seats, the Lib Dems almost 2.4 million votes for 12.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2017/results

In 2019same story, Lib Dems over 3.6 million for 11, while the SNP got 48 for just over 1.2 million.
    The Greens got over 860,00 for one seat, while the DUP got 8 seats for 244,00, and Sinn Fein 7 seats for 181,00.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50779901

It makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    madprof said:

However at what should have been a solemn moment, paying his respects today to the tragic murder of sir David Amess, did you notice Boris look away twice, when Kier Starmer stayed focussed?

Nothing wrong with Boris bashing, he deserves it.
  • Options
    madprof said:

I think John Cleese gets it…

You couldnt make it up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvafaHdAQOo

• Options
    “What do you mean? You haven’t got any fresh British turkeys? “

What do mean, go to Iceland and get a frozen one?”

That’s not why I voted for Brexit…innit?

• Options
    Al Murray: Why Do The Brits Win Every War?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwupc1hN6LQ
  • Options
    madprof said:

Who won today’s PMQs? We’ve scored Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer as they faced off for first time in weeks

Joe Pike
    @joepike
    I may be wrong, but I don't think there was a single mention of COVID in #PMQs.

Yesterday daily deaths hit their highest level since March 2021.

Peter Stefanovic
    @PeterStefanovi2
    With UK’s weekly death rate three times the level of other major European nations it’s surprising covid not raised at #PMQs

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    Keir Starmer is right to demand criminal liability for directors of social media companies who allow content that incites terror and violence to spread through their platforms and urgent action. Not sure why the Prime Minister is responding with the usual Punch and Judy. #PMQs

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    Starmer setting a different tone in HoC, a 'collegiate' tone and (calmly) pushes the PM back when the questions Labour's commitment to tough sentencing. “I really don’t want to descend to that kind of knockabout”. It's interesting approach, knocks wind out of PM's sails #PMQs

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/who-won-today-s-pmqs-we-ve-scored-boris-johnson-and-keir-starmer-as-they-faced-off-for-first-time-in-weeks/ar-AAPKg7J?ocid=msedgntp

• Options
    Essexphil said:

tai-gar said:

Common Sense. Having seen the queues at petrol stations this evening, a memory from some years ago popped up.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.
    No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn't always fair; And maybe it was my fault.
    Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies - don't spend more than you can earn; and adults, not children, are in charge. His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.
    Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.
    Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.
    Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
    Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust, by his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, and his son Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers - I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame and I'm A Victim. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
    If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, do nothing

I agree with nearly all of that. Just to briefly mention the small bits that I don't:-

1. It is not a school's place to say when a child is pregnant/wants to have an abortion. It's also a very difficult subject;
    2. The treatment of criminals in this country has never been good. Mostly, it is downright inhumane. Which is a major reason why our reoffending rate is so bad
    3. You've always been able to use reasonable force to defend your home. Where it gets difficult is when you shoot an unarmed man. Where it gets impossible is if (as in the major case) you brag to all your mates down the pub exactly how you are going to shoot your next burglar, and then do exactly that
    4. That steaming cup of coffee case. Totally misreported. Evidence showed McD's forced franchisees to serve coffee 20 degrees hotter than everywhere else. Then tried to claim that it was necessary cos it was a driveway and commuters needed time. Whereupon McD's were shown their own survey proving that this was not true. She didn't spill a little"-she had 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body, and lesser burns over much more. No-one ever mentions all the other scalding cases, none of which have had a similar result

The 2 bits I completely agree with are in relation to "Responsibility" and "Someone Else is to Blame".

Why did we vote to leave the EU? In large part, it was because people were given so much bogus info. From "Red Tape" scare stories, to the EU supposedly doing all sorts of things that were made up, like bendy bananas. And that we were better off being ripped off by UK politicians than Foreign ones. Ot that people who were failing needed something to blame.

But what has changed? Now we get people blaming every single ill on Brexit. As though that, in isolation, is the sole cause of everything.

Pandemic? Irrelevant
    EU countries having similar problems? Ignore
    Companies failing to prepare for changes that were inevitable? No-just blame Brexit.

Unless you are a Brexiteer. Then all the above are the only reasons, and Brexit is somehow irrelevant.

Common sense says a coin has 2 sides.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

Here are some really simple questions for you.

They will follow a familiar format. Yes. Or No. Or, you could just ignore them, of course.

1. Do you believe that the UK Government does lots of good things? Yes/No
    2. Do you believe the people who run the EU do lots of good things? Yes/no
    3. Do you believe the UK Government do quite a few things that, regardless of individual views on Brexit/the EU are bad? Yes/no
    4. Do you believe the EU officials do quite a few things that, regardless of individual views on Brexit/the EU are bad? Yes/no
    5. Do you believe that the UK Government sometimes says things that are deliberately misleading in order to further its own aims? Yes/No
    6. Do you believe that the EU leaders sometimes say things that are deliberately misleading in order to further its own aims? Yes/No

My answers, to every 1 of those questions, is Yes.
    Your thousands of posts suggest you genuinely believe the answers to 1, 4 & 6 are No.

Which is why I struggle to think of anyone who so consistently praises everything done by Continental Europe, while simultaneously seeking to be constantly and consistently negative in relation to the UK.

And why I would rather read a Conspiracy thread.

Biden axes trade tariffs to EU in gushing speech 'Closest of friends' - Remainers gloat

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/biden-axes-trade-tariffs-to-eu-in-gushing-speech-closest-of-friends-remainers-gloat/ar-AAQ9y99?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options