You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
    Essexphil said:

Lord Frost.

Proof that there is no vaccine for stupid.

Why aren't Boris Johnson and his Brexiteers making most of freedom?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/why-aren-t-boris-johnson-and-his-brexiteers-making-most-of-freedom/ar-AAS4iBc?ocid=msedgntp

Brexit outrage: Boris to 'CAVE' to EU as PM confirms 'interim' deal plan - leaked letter

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-outrage-boris-to-cave-to-eu-as-pm-confirms-interim-deal-plan-leaked-letter/ar-AAS40P2?ocid=msedgntp

Fishing fury as new £313m UK-EU Brexit deal breaches key pledge

But environmentalists say the agreement has failed to honour an agreement to end unsustainable fishing.

Environmental law charity Client Earth said only 40 percent of stocks were fished sustainably.

Jenni Grossmann, a science and policy adviser for the charity, told the Financial Times: "Just like in pre-Brexit times, they have continued to prioritise short-term commercial interests over long-term sustainability for both fish and fishers - perpetuating the dire state of these depleted stocks."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/fishing-fury-as-new-313m-uk-eu-brexit-deal-breaches-key-pledge/ar-AAS5cjQ?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    The first of the articles mentioned at 10:04 above was excellent. Thanks.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Lord Frost.

I cant for the life of me understand why, considering all the clever politicians, and academics, that we have in this country, why the Irish border did not figure in the the referendum campaign, on either side of the debate.
    I just dont understand why it didnt figure at the forefront of the argument on both sides.
    Although we have agreed that, that ship has sailed.
    It was bound to create a fundamental problem if we chose to leave.

The problems were exacerbated by the Brexit Boris chose.
    Compared to the Brexit that Theresa May planned.

Theresa May overcame the need for a border, via the backstop, a plan to closely align with the EU, and minimise friction.

Boris chose a deal that meant divergence.
    His sovereignty, and taking back control claims, have resulted in the separation of NI from the rest of the UK, and less control, at least over NI.

Starting from the beginning of the Boris plan.
    Divergence meant a border would be required.
    This would have been the case whether or not we did a trade deal with the EU.
    I dont think there is a case anywhere in the world, where two different customs territories meet, where there isnt a trade border.
    This is a WTO rule.
    So it was still happening whether or not a trade deal was eventually struck with the EU.

In an ideal world the border would have been located on the Island of Ireland.
    This of course was impossible because of The Good Friday Agreement.
    To my knowledge the EU did not dispute this.
    In fact they made concessions, to allow the alternative.

The only real alternative under the Boris plan, was an Irish Sea border.
    Although this was of no use, unless other arrangements were made in respect of NI.
    Just putting a border in the Irish Sea, would have left Ireland in the EU, separated GB, and left NI in no mans land.
    So the Irish Sea border was only of use, if we left NI in the EU.
    So we did.
    We effectively left NI in the customs union/single market.
    Yet despite agreeing to leave NI in the EU, we are now disputing that the ECJ has any say over the bit of the EU that is NI.
    How could we think we could get away with this.
    The EU allowed NI to stay in, to suit us.
    Had Scotland been offered this type of arrangement, they would have jumped at it.
    Offered a border with England, they would have merely asked, how high do you want it?
    No financial contribution is being made.
    This was a massive concession which they made for our benefit.
    Only a fool like Boris would ask for a favour, and kick off after it was granted.

I can understand the disappointment of at least some of the people in NI.
    I can also understand why they might feel that they have been separated from the rest of the UK.
    Theresa May said that no UK PM would ever put a border in the Irish Sea, and Boris famously agreed.
    Even though they get to vote on the protocol in Stormont every four years, I cant see what they could do about the border.
    Ripping up the EU deal will still mean a border.
    The Good Friday Agreement will mean its not a land border in Ireland.
    Leaving NI in the EU, will mean the ECJ will apply.

As we diverge from the EU how do NI comply with EU, and UK laws and regulations?
    Which ones will take priority?
    Will any confusion be caused?

Have we taken back control by effectively leaving NI in the EU?
    Did we take back control of our borders by creating a new one within the UK?
    What about sovereignty when NI is under ECJ jurisdiction?

The EU could have refused to let NI stay in, what was our plan then?
    Where does the border go?

Bring back Theresa May?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Yes, I thought it was quite fair and balanced.
    As I look back, I am starting to feel sorry for Theresa May.
    At the time I thought she was inept.
    I didnt realise what a horrible bunch the Tories really are.
    From a PMs point of view they are impossible to manage.
    I think she was honest, but compared to Boris everyone is.
    She had integrity.
    Some of these politicians railed against the EU for years.
    Yet there appears to have been no clear plan for the alternative.
    Although this government dont seem to have any plan, full stop.
    They lurch from one disaster to the next.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Essexphil said:

Government relaxes immigration rules on care-worker jobs in a bid to temper 'severe and increasing difficulties' in attracting and keeping social care sector staff

Foreign care workers will be added to the shortage occupation list - designed to help migrants get work visas to fill jobs within the UK where there are shortages.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10343197/Government-relaxes-immigration-rules-care-worker-jobs-bid-battle-staffing-crisis.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Government relaxes immigration rules on care-worker jobs in a bid to temper 'severe and increasing difficulties' in attracting and keeping social care sector staff

Foreign care workers will be added to the shortage occupation list - designed to help migrants get work visas to fill jobs within the UK where there are shortages.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10343197/Government-relaxes-immigration-rules-care-worker-jobs-bid-battle-staffing-crisis.html
    On the positive side, at least this Government is finally taking steps to try and prevent matters getting worse in the Care sector.

But, without wishing to sound obvious, surely the best time to act is before it gets to the stage of "severe and increasing difficulties"...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

On the positive side, at least this Government is finally taking steps to try and prevent matters getting worse in the Care sector.

But, without wishing to sound obvious, surely the best time to act is before it gets to the stage of "severe and increasing difficulties"...
    They are a finger in the dike government, rather than a planning ahead one.

Brexit customs controls coming in January ‘disastrous’ for UK traders, business chiefs warn

“The government told us Brexit was done – but it’s barely even started. I know a lot of small businesses struggling to survive with all the red tape since Brexit.”

“The advice on the government website is mumbo jumbo – it’s just not clear,” he said. “I’ve made enquiries and attended seminars about whether I need new certificates of origin, and nobody seems to know. The answer seems to be, ‘You might, you might not.’”

He added: “I’m sure trucks will be pulled up. I’m sure loads will be turned back. We could see queues away from the border while paperwork is checked. It’s difficult to know the extent of disruption. There will be some friction that will take some time to work through.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-customs-controls-coming-in-january-disastrous-for-uk-traders-business-chiefs-warn/ar-AAS7gM0?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Lord Frost.

I cant for the life of me understand why, considering all the clever politicians, and academics, that we have in this country, why the Irish border did not figure in the the referendum campaign, on either side of the debate.
    I just dont understand why it didnt figure at the forefront of the argument on both sides.

Theresa May overcame the need for a border, via the backstop, a plan to closely align with the EU, and minimise friction.

His sovereignty, and taking back control claims, have resulted in the separation of NI from the rest of the UK, and less control, at least over NI.

I dont think there is a case anywhere in the world, where two different customs territories meet, where there isnt a trade border.
    This is a WTO rule.
    So it was still happening whether or not a trade deal was eventually struck with the EU.

Although this was of no use, unless other arrangements were made in respect of NI.
    Just putting a border in the Irish Sea, would have left Ireland in the EU, separated GB, and left NI in no mans land.
    So we did.
    Yet despite agreeing to leave NI in the EU, we are now disputing that the ECJ has any say over the bit of the EU that is NI.
    Had Scotland been offered this type of arrangement, they would have jumped at it.
    Offered a border with England, they would have merely asked, how high do you want it?
    Only a fool like Boris would ask for a favour, and kick off after it was granted.

I can also understand why they might feel that they have been separated from the rest of the UK.
    Theresa May said that no UK PM would ever put a border in the Irish Sea, and Boris famously agreed.
    Even though they get to vote on the protocol in Stormont every four years, I cant see what they could do about the border.

As we diverge from the EU how do NI comply with EU, and UK laws and regulations?

Bring back Theresa May?
    Brexit: UK indicates European court may have NI Protocol role

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59691427

Boris wont be doing cartwheels over the comments on this article.
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Seems to be a theme running here. Much like Boris, Xmas parties, etc.

1. Lord Frost takes totally ridiculous stance on dealing with the EU post-Brexit. Complete silence from the Nasty Party
    2. Lord Frost rejoins the real world. Suggests "compromise" such as the EU can have a role in relation to policing of a border which is (in shock news) both a border between us and the EU AND between the EU and us. Contender for the Party Leadership tells him not to be stupid.

Nothing to do with Brexit.

Everything to do with stupidity. Once somebody who seems mostly sensible (Sunak) says something this stupid, we all know he is preparing for the next election. You know, yet again, the one where 361 MPs foist an unelected PM on us.

For the 3rd election in a row.

Brexit: ‘the biggest disaster any government has ever negotiated’

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/27/brexit-the-biggest-disaster-that-any-government-has-ever-negotiated?s=09&ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Seems to be a theme running here. Much like Boris, Xmas parties, etc.

1. Lord Frost takes totally ridiculous stance on dealing with the EU post-Brexit. Complete silence from the Nasty Party
    2. Lord Frost rejoins the real world. Suggests "compromise" such as the EU can have a role in relation to policing of a border which is (in shock news) both a border between us and the EU AND between the EU and us. Contender for the Party Leadership tells him not to be stupid.

Nothing to do with Brexit.

Everything to do with stupidity. Once somebody who seems mostly sensible (Sunak) says something this stupid, we all know he is preparing for the next election. You know, yet again, the one where 361 MPs foist an unelected PM on us.

For the 3rd election in a row.

These Brexiteers quotes on fuel and energy costs falling after leaving the EU have aged terribly

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/these-brexiteers-quotes-on-fuel-and-energy-costs-falling-after-leaving-the-eu-have-aged-terribly/ar-AASepWP?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Trust broken with the EU in row over Northern Ireland Protocol – Sefcovic

But Mr Sefcovic said: “This is a very distracting element in the discussions. You try to achieve something together and – bam – there’s the threat of Article 16 again.

“It touches on the fundamentals of our relationship.

“The Northern Ireland Protocol was the most complicated part of the Brexit negotiations, and it is the foundation of the entire deal. Without the protocol, the whole system will collapse. We must prevent that at any cost.”

He added: “London has breached a great deal of trust, which we must first rebuild. But I believe we can find a compromise.

“The EU and the United Kingdom are strategic partners – and they should treat each other as such.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/trust-broken-with-the-eu-in-row-over-northern-ireland-protocol-sefcovic/ar-AASgS3o?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Lord Frost.

This is a WTO rule.

So we did.

Bring back Theresa May?
    ‘The people have no say!' Brexit row erupts over EU rules dictating parts of Britain

The UK had made "no concessions all year; the EU has made multiple concessions and continues to do so."

Mr Coveney said. "Let's not pretend that both sides have compromised here . . . Now both sides need to compromise a little bit more."

The concessions London has extracted from Brussels would halve customs checks and slash health checks on British products destined for Northern Ireland by 80 per cent, according to Maros Sefcovic, the EU's Brexit negotiator.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/the-people-have-no-say-brexit-row-erupts-over-eu-rules-dictating-parts-of-britain/ar-AASiYWV?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Brexit: What has the European Court of Justice got to do with the NI Protocol?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58889543
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Voices: Brexiteers are fighting among themselves – exactly what Boris Johnson doesn’t need

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/voices-brexiteers-are-fighting-among-themselves-exactly-what-boris-johnson-doesn-t-need/ar-AASkWZ5?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

‘Childish’ DUP is under attack over NI Protocol threats
    SDLP slams Donaldson’s foot stamping over Brexit amid renewed hint party will collapse Stormont if Truss fails to set talks deadline

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/childish-dup-is-under-attack-over-ni-protocol-threats-41204368.html?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options