You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,537
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

That P&O article yesterday. Spectacularly stupid.

bBeing in, or out of the EU is totally irrelevant to this situation. It doesn't take a "Brexit trade unionist" to say that. It is simple fact.

EU law is only relevant on occasions where it provides directives. Which is far rarer than anyone thinks.

The UK has perfectly good employment laws. There is nothing in EU law that is remotely relevant to this situation. Although there have been some law changes in UK law that are relevant.

To give the most pertinent example, there were wholesale changes in UK employment law brought about by Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s. Things like removing the closed shop, preventing workers striking in sympathy with workers in different industries. That sort of thing.

I am not saying that is a good thing. Or a bad thing. Like lots of things, probably a bit of both. But the EU were not involved in any of this-quite simply, because it was none of their business. Similarly, France has chosen to allow Trade Unions to retain far more power. Again, none of the EU's business.

People wanted to blame the EU for loads of supposed ills that were nothing to do with the EU. Which is why we left. I fail to see why blaming leaving the EU for equally irrelevant matters is a step forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAOZcUbmEds
    MP joins in “shame on you” chant and then realises it’s about her in awkward self-own

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/mp-joins-in-shame-on-you-chant-and-then-realises-it-s-about-her-in-awkward-self-own/ar-AAVgsBg?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    I would have had sympathy for that Dover MP. Until I remembered some of the ridiculous things she has said recently. Trying to blame the P&O debacle on Tory Laws is just plain wrong.

The Boris promulgation. Really? Really really? What a crass, insensitive, and downright stupid thing to say.

Surely this country deserves better than this buffoon.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I would have had sympathy for that Dover MP. Until I remembered some of the ridiculous things she has said recently. Trying to blame the P&O debacle on Tory Laws is just plain wrong.

The Boris promulgation. Really? Really really? What a crass, insensitive, and downright stupid thing to say.

She is clearly no improvement on her "I'm a naughty Tory" husband, who is now apparently claiming Universal Credit.
    Ukraine seems to have saved Boris from the pressure he was under, at least for the time being.
    He is embarrassing.
    I am certain that future generations will wonder how we ended up with Boris.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

‘Prime Minister threw Northern Ireland under the bus’ – Sir Jeffrey Donaldson

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/prime-minister-threw-northern-ireland-under-the-bus-sir-jeffrey-donaldson/ar-AAVkUmR?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Full Brexit journey in under two minutes - BBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIIp8iez2Xg
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

UUP chief concedes he will lose votes after pulling out of anti-protocol rallies

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/uup-chief-concedes-he-will-lose-votes-after-pulling-out-of-anti-protocol-rallies/ar-AAVAHYH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cba94c4c80534e67a36b6db0f6984849

Stubborn EU refuses to engage! UK stunned by Brexit antics as bloc scuppers breakthrough

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/stubborn-eu-refuses-to-engage-uk-stunned-by-brexit-antics-as-bloc-scuppers-breakthrough/ar-AAVAr7O?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cba94c4c80534e67a36b6db0f6984849

Travel pass scheme for Irish border will not damage NI tourism, vows Donaldson

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/travel-pass-scheme-for-irish-border-will-not-damage-ni-tourism-vows-donaldson/ar-AAVAtRf?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cba94c4c80534e67a36b6db0f6984849

Brexit is costing the economy dear, no matter what 'Brexit Opportunities Minister' Jacob Rees-Mogg says – Angus Robertson MSP

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexit-is-costing-the-economy-dear-no-matter-what-brexit-opportunities-minister-jacob-rees-mogg-says-angus-robertson-msp/ar-AAVAjSC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cba94c4c80534e67a36b6db0f6984849

Brexit has hit UK’s overseas trade, Sunak tells MPs

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexit-has-hit-uk-s-overseas-trade-sunak-tells-mps/ar-AAVAJeV?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cba94c4c80534e67a36b6db0f6984849
  • Options
    Brexit gets blamed for all sorts of things.

It is not Brexit's fault that there has been important economic changes, and new political opportunities. But 1 result of that change is that the political landscape is changing. Particularly in Northern Ireland.

There was already a major shift in support underway prior to Brexit. There was a time, not long ago, when there were 4 Parties with broadly similar appeal. But the more radical Parties on each side of the divide, namely the DUP and Sinn Fein, have gained ascendancy over the more centrist UUP and SDLP.

That has increased since Brexit, as the rather stark choices relating to interdependence with the UK or Ireland lead to increased support for the DUP and Sinn Fein.

It is wrong to blame this entirely on the UK Government. The EU in general, and Ireland in particular, are just as complicit in all this. When I read articles that (for example) the UUP will lose votes by seeking compromise, my heart sinks.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

It is not Brexit's fault that there has been important economic changes, and new political opportunities. But 1 result of that change is that the political landscape is changing. Particularly in Northern Ireland.

There was already a major shift in support underway prior to Brexit. There was a time, not long ago, when there were 4 Parties with broadly similar appeal. But the more radical Parties on each side of the divide, namely the DUP and Sinn Fein, have gained ascendancy over the more centrist UUP and SDLP.

That has increased since Brexit, as the rather stark choices relating to interdependence with the UK or Ireland lead to increased support for the DUP and Sinn Fein.

It is wrong to blame this entirely on the UK Government. The EU in general, and Ireland in particular, are just as complicit in all this. When I read articles that (for example) the UUP will lose votes by seeking compromise, my heart sinks.

A united Ireland is surely nailed on, just a matter of when?

How do you implement a travel pass without a border?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

"Nailed on"! Really?

I'm predicting you haven't spent a lot of time in Northern Ireland...

And I really recommend you don't mention any such thing with earshot of half of its citizens...

Think the Ukraine problem.

Then multiply it a hundred-fold.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

"Nailed on"! Really?

And I really recommend you don't mention any such thing with earshot of half of its citizens...

Probably not half any more.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

"Nailed on"! Really?

Are there more Catholics or Protestants in Northern Ireland?

It is projected that by 2021 there will be more Catholics (51%) than Protestants (37%) in Northern Ireland. This is attributed to the new generation that no longer views religion as a contentious issue between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

"Nailed on"! Really?

Haysie. Stop it. Now.

There are times for debate. But debating the future of Northern Ireland as a done deal? Just don't go there. Because there are rather a lot of people with a lack of a sense of humour on that question. On both sides.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

"Nailed on"! Really?

Haysie. Stop it. Now.

There are times for debate. But debating the future of Northern Ireland as a done deal? Just don't go there. Because there are rather a lot of people with a lack of a sense of humour on that question. On both sides.
    You need to calm down Phil.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

"Nailed on"! Really?

Haysie. Stop it. Now.

No-you need to remember just how personally some people take that sort of statement. Not me.

People. With. Guns.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

"Nailed on"! Really?

Haysie. Stop it. Now.

No-you need to remember just how personally some people take that sort of statement. Not me.

People. With. Guns.
    Yes, and I have merely expressed an opinion.
    An opinion based on the way things seem to be headed.
    I hasten to add that my opinion is unlikely to have the slightest effect on the outcome.
    Nor will expressing it on the Sky Poker Forum.
    Yet you have gone all dramatic.

One factor in this is that Boris has caused huge resentment on one side of the argument by creating a border between NI and the rest of the UK.
    This was subsequent to agreeing with Theresa May, when she said this was something that no leader of The Conservative and Unionist Party would ever do.
    Now that this border has been created it is very difficult to see how it could be removed.

The latest development is that we intend to implement travel passes without an actual border.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

"Nailed on"! Really?

Haysie. Stop it. Now.

People. With. Guns.
    Incidentally I dont have an opinion on whether this would be a good thing or a bad one, although as a UK citizen I would be sad to see NI leave the UK.
    The one priority foe everyone should be that peace continues.
    When considering the possibility of an United Ireland, the growing majority of Catholics in NI may be less important than previously, as it seems that the younger generation are less divided on religious and political grounds.
    This can only be a good thing as far as peace is concerned.
    NI voters were clearly against leaving the EU, and you would think that the events since may have increased the majority that were against leaving.