You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Next Conservative leader

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
    HAYSIE said:

Mordaunt Evens

Sunak 21/10

Truss 26/5

Badenoch 28/1

Tugendhat 44/1

This is quite a good link.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader

Mordaunt and Sunak are just about joints now.
    Truss still about 5s.
    Badenoch now as short as 10s.
    You can get 66/1 for Tugendhat.

This has changed a little again.
    Best odds you can get are,

Sunak 17/16
    Truss 45/17
    Mordaunt 21/5
    Badenoch 18s
    Tugendhat 175/1

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

TV debates do not help the cause of Mrs Truss.

I think too much weight is placed upon a person's ability to speak in public-it is far more important in relation to what they do, as opposed to what they say or how well they say it.

But the fact remains that she is a dreadful public speaker.

Do you think the TV debates will change anything?
    Yes, I think they do.

Not in relation to MPs votes-they have all this patronising nonsense before. In relation to the voting of the Members, once get to final 2. and how MPs react to that.

Having swerved the 1st "debate", I watched the ITV one.

It was awful. Sunak supposedly "won" this. By using the time-honoured tactic of insisting on talking past his allotted time, and generally acting like the privileged Public schoolboy he is. Best example was question to Truss about which she regretted most, having been a Lib Dem or a Remainer. A stupid question. And, of course, completely ignored by the inept Truss.

They all looked terrible. Odds have changed considerably:-

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3
    Tomorrows debate is knocked on the head.
    Knocking any pretence at some form of democracy on the head.

Sunak thinks he has done enough to be in the last 2, and a further debate could damage him.

Truss has been told she is hopeless at this sort of Debate, and is more likely to lose ground to Badenoch than gain it from Mordaunt. She will instead rely on the Press, together with waging the sort of dirty tricks campaign she professes to despise.

And so 2 outvote 3, and the agreed hustings.

Poor.
    It is, when the purpose was surely to give their electorate a better idea of who they are, and what they stand for, as well as informing the electorate as a whole.
    Anyone that cant handle a debate is unlikely to perform well as a PM.

Boris was conspicuously absent during the previous leadership campaign.

Are you expecting any shocks today?
    Unlikely.

Briefly thought Tugendhat might pull out, particularly now he has been deprived of the ability to speak. But I think his campaign has been all about positioning himself for a future bid, while securing a Cabinet post.

Might MPs turn against Sunak/Truss for this? Possible, but unlikely.

Expect Badenoch is going to try and make something of all this. But it is unlikely to be enough.

This is likely to get nasty when get to 4 & 3 unless there is some sort of deal.
    Our Next Tory Leader survey. Badenoch opens up a double-digit lead. Truss, Mordaunt and Sunak are bunched together second, third and fourth.

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/16/our-next-tory-leader-badenoch-opens-up-a-double-digit-lead-truss-mordaunt-and-sunak-are-bunched-together-second-third-and-fourth/
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

The results of the third ballot in the Tory leadership race are about to be announced by Sir Graham Brady.

The candidate with the fewest votes will leave the race to replace Boris Johnson.

The results are as follows:

Kemi Badenoch - 58

Penny Mordaunt - 82

Rishi Sunak - 115

Liz Truss - 71

Tom Tugendhat - 31

That means Mr Tugendhat is eliminated from the race.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

The results of the third ballot in the Tory leadership race are about to be announced by Sir Graham Brady.

The candidate with the fewest votes will leave the race to replace Boris Johnson.

The results are as follows:

Kemi Badenoch - 58

Penny Mordaunt - 82

Rishi Sunak - 115

Liz Truss - 71

Tom Tugendhat - 31

That means Mr Tugendhat is eliminated from the race.
    Badenoch gained 9.
    Mordaunt lost 1.
    Sunak gained 14.
    Truss gained 7.

Maybe not what some of them were expecting.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Mordaunt Evens

Sunak 21/10

Truss 26/5

Badenoch 28/1

Tugendhat 44/1

This is quite a good link.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader
    Mordaunt and Sunak are just about joints now.
    Truss still about 5s.
    Badenoch now as short as 10s.
    You can get 66/1 for Tugendhat.

This has changed a little again.
    Best odds you can get are,

Sunak 17/16
    Truss 45/17
    Mordaunt 21/5
    Badenoch 18s
    Tugendhat 175/1

Best prices.

Sunak evens
    Truss 23/10
    Mordaunt 28/5
    Badenoch 33/2

• Options
  • Options
    Kemi the kingmaker? Rising Tory star Badenoch and her dozens of supporters are set to decide whether Liz Truss or Penny Mordaunt battles Rishi Sunak to be PM after she saw her vote rise last night to leave the contest wide open

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2022/07/18/8264377071360261603/308x174_MP4_8264377071360261603.mp4

Kemi Badenoch could be the kingmaker who selects the next Prime Minister after gaining votes on the third ballot of the Tory leadership race on Monday night. The race for No10 stepped up a gear yesterday evening with Liz Truss gaining ground on rival Penny Mordaunt, but neither seeing a surge in votes- as frontrunner Rishi Sunak closed in on a guaranteed place in the run-off ballot. Such a close competition between Truss and Mordaunt means Mrs Badenoch, the former communities minister under Boris Johnson's government, could play a vital role in which of the two make the final cut. Little known to the public before the Conservative battle for the leadership role, Mrs Badenoch received nine votes up from the last ballot with 58 - but she is most at risk of being knocked out during the next vote castings on Tuesday. The 42-year-old has never been in the Cabinet after only having become an MP in 2017, she is already being tipped for a major post in the next Government after winning huge numbers of admirers on the Tory right. If Mrs Badenoch is knocked out of today's round of votes, her supporters could be the determining factor between either Ms Truss or Ms Mordaunt reaching the final two against Rishi Sunak.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11025601/Liz-Truss-gains-ground-Penny-Mordaunt-Rishi-Sunak-forges-on.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I think too much weight is placed upon a person's ability to speak in public-it is far more important in relation to what they do, as opposed to what they say or how well they say it.

Yes, I think they do.

Not in relation to MPs votes-they have all this patronising nonsense before. In relation to the voting of the Members, once get to final 2. and how MPs react to that.

It was awful. Sunak supposedly "won" this. By using the time-honoured tactic of insisting on talking past his allotted time, and generally acting like the privileged Public schoolboy he is. Best example was question to Truss about which she regretted most, having been a Lib Dem or a Remainer. A stupid question. And, of course, completely ignored by the inept Truss.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3
    MP stripped of Tory whip - now unable to back Mordaunt in leadership vote

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/mp-stripped-of-tory-whip-now-unable-to-back-mordaunt-in-leadership-vote/ar-AAZJFsz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8afc5a4336eb4b0a98c85800d10c5991
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
    Selected, not elected..

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes, I think they do.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/mp-stripped-of-tory-whip-now-unable-to-back-mordaunt-in-leadership-vote/ar-AAZJFsz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8afc5a4336eb4b0a98c85800d10c5991
    So. Person doesn't show up to a vote to say all Tories love Boris or, more accurately, are terrified of letting the Nation have a free vote? Thrown out of Tory Party. Not allowed to vote for next leader.

While a pervert, Christopher Pincher, is allowed to vote?

And I thought Boris wasn't going to do anything controversial in his last days? Bah.
  • Options
    Latest votes:-

Sunak - 118
    Mordaunt-92
    Truss -86
    Badenoch-59-eliminated

I don't believe all Badenoch's voters will go to Truss.

But I would be surprised if Truss does not overtake Mordaunt, leaving the prospect of a final 2 of Sunak v Truss.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Essexphil said:

Sunak - 118
    Mordaunt-92
    Truss -86
    Badenoch-59-eliminated

But I would be surprised if Truss does not overtake Mordaunt, leaving the prospect of a final 2 of Sunak v Truss.

Bookies confirm that that is likely. Latest odds are roughly:-

Sunak-Evens
    Truss-Evens
    Mordaunt 6/1

Truss is actually slight favourite to be next PM.

Reminds me of the old chant:-

"If Lee Dixon plays for England, so can I"
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes, I think they do.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3

So. Person doesn't show up to a vote to say all Tories love Boris or, more accurately, are terrified of letting the Nation have a free vote? Thrown out of Tory Party. Not allowed to vote for next leader.

While a pervert, Christopher Pincher, is allowed to vote?

And I thought Boris wasn't going to do anything controversial in his last days? Bah.
    Just more nonsense.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Sunak - 118
    Mordaunt-92
    Truss -86
    Badenoch-59-eliminated

That looks like how it ends up.
    Truss was in front of a YouGov poll of tory members, that was conducted yesterday and today.
    Maybe Sunak is kicking himself for pulling out of todays debate.
    If Sky could have got 2 out of the three, they should have run it with an empty chair.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Sunak - 118
    Mordaunt-92
    Truss -86
    Badenoch-59-eliminated

Truss needs around 60% of them.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Sunak - 118
    Mordaunt-92
    Truss -86
    Badenoch-59-eliminated

Truss needs around 60% of them.
    No. She only needs to finish top 2. She only needs to get 7 more than Mordaunt. 30% of those votes will probably do, as v few Badenoch supporters are likely to go for Mordaunt. Unless that slimeball Gove is up to something.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Sunak - 118
    Mordaunt-92
    Truss -86
    Badenoch-59-eliminated

That looks like how it ends up.
    Truss was in front of a YouGov poll of tory members, that was conducted yesterday and today.
    Maybe Sunak is kicking himself for pulling out of todays debate.
    If Sky could have got 2 out of the three, they should have run it with an empty chair.
    Latest poll of Tory members shows Rishi Sunak unlikely to win against remaining candidates

Rishi Sunak will struggle to win over the Tory membership if he faces any of Liz Truss, Penny Mordaunt or Kemi Badenoch, according to a new YouGov poll of Tory members which gives a boost to the foreign secretary.

Penny Mordaunt's strong lead from last week's members poll has fallen, now narrowly losing to both Truss and Badenoch. This comes amid frantic horsetrading of support as the result of the fourth round of voting will be announced at 3pm today.

The YouGov members poll was conducted yesterday and today - so after the second of the two TV debates on Sunday night.

Truss beats Sunak by 53% to 35% and beats Mordaunt 48% to 42% but would be beaten by Badenoch 43% to 46%.

Sunak not only loses to Truss, but to Mordaunt by 37% to 57% and Badenoch 34% to 56%.

Mordaunt would lose to Truss 42% to 48% and loses to Badenoch 43% to 48%.

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-leadership-live-updates-another-tory-candidate-facing-elimination-as-truss-responds-to-sunak-barb-12593360
  • Options
    One thing I would mention about these polls of Tory Members.

They are not exactly consistent, are they? They just look like the most gullible group around, who will just believe what they are told.

Which, presumably, is why Liz Truss seems to be promising to reverse various cuts, increase Defence spending, and reduce taxes. All at the same time. Even though, without all that, we are already increasing debt faster than even under the last Labour government.

i look forward to her next fiscal policy. I think it is going to involve 5 loaves and 2 fish.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

They are not exactly consistent, are they? They just look like the most gullible group around, who will just believe what they are told.

Which, presumably, is why Liz Truss seems to be promising to reverse various cuts, increase Defence spending, and reduce taxes. All at the same time. Even though, without all that, we are already increasing debt faster than even under the last Labour government.

i look forward to her next fiscal policy. I think it is going to involve 5 loaves and 2 fish.

Ha ha, thats probably about right.
    The members are anything but consistent.
    I cant believe that Truss could have improved her position after the TV debates.
    Maybe it is because they are using small sample sizes.
    We need a miracle to stop her.
    I might try and rent a room from Stanley Johnson.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Tory members demand option of voting for Boris Johnson to carry on as PM

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/tory-members-demand-option-voting-133511138.html