You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Next Conservative leader

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
    edited July 2022

Mordaunt Evens

Sunak 21/10

Truss 26/5

Badenoch 28/1

Tugendhat 44/1

This is quite a good link.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader

Mordaunt and Sunak are just about joints now.
    Truss still about 5s.
    Badenoch now as short as 10s.
    You can get 66/1 for Tugendhat.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,575
    Rishi has taken the lead with the bookies now!!!!!!!!!!!

we may be okay maybe he can do it!!!
  • Options
    miniman88miniman88 Member Posts: 134
    Doubleme said:

Rishi has taken the lead with the bookies now!!!!!!!!!!!

we may be okay maybe he can do it!!!

"may be okay" haha he's a globalist slime. A huge pusher of the centralised bank digital currencies. These will be the end of freedom as we know, programmable and intertwined with the climate shite and they will be able to limit stuff like airline miles, meat consumption. He wants to tax his way to growth and wanted a fuel levy to pay for net zero policies. A net zero economic collapse.

Anyone but this puppet.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Mordaunt Evens

Sunak 21/10

Truss 26/5

Badenoch 28/1

Tugendhat 44/1

This is quite a good link.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader

Mordaunt and Sunak are just about joints now.
    Truss still about 5s.
    Badenoch now as short as 10s.
    You can get 66/1 for Tugendhat.

The only change from the above is that Badenoch is now as short as 13/2 in a place.
    She also came out on top in a Conservative Home poll.
  • Options
    Penny Mordaunt vents fury at 'smears' and 'toxic politics' as she struggles to stop PM bid being derailed by backlash at trans rights stance - while Rishi Sunak swipes at Liz Truss's Remainer history ahead of latest TV debate TONIGHT

Penny Mordaunt angrily denied claims she wanted to bring in gender self-identification as she took to the airwaves ahead of the latest TV debate tonight. The intervention came as Rishi Sunak took a thinly-veiled swipe at Liz Truss 's Remainer history by stressing he backed Brexit in 2016. The former Chancellor moved to burnish his credentials by describing how he defied warnings that his career would be over to support Leave at the referendum, pledging that as PM he would scrap or overhaul all legacy EU laws. While he did not mention Ms Truss by name, critics have been pointing out that the Foreign Secretary endorsed staying in the EU - even though she is now taking a tough line on Brussels. With the next instalment of voting by MPs tomorrow, Mr Sunak looks set to go into the head-to-head run off ballot by Tory members, having topped the previous rounds. But there is a huge struggle for the other spot in the final contest.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11021687/Rishi-Sunak-swipes-Truss-stressing-backed-Brexit-2016.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

TV debates do not help the cause of Mrs Truss.

I think too much weight is placed upon a person's ability to speak in public-it is far more important in relation to what they do, as opposed to what they say or how well they say it.

But the fact remains that she is a dreadful public speaker.

Do you think the TV debates will change anything?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited July 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I think too much weight is placed upon a person's ability to speak in public-it is far more important in relation to what they do, as opposed to what they say or how well they say it.

Yes, I think they do.

Not in relation to MPs votes-they have all this patronising nonsense before. In relation to the voting of the Members, once get to final 2. and how MPs react to that.

Having swerved the 1st "debate", I watched the ITV one.

It was awful. Sunak supposedly "won" this. By using the time-honoured tactic of insisting on talking past his allotted time, and generally acting like the privileged Public schoolboy he is. Best example was question to Truss about which she regretted most, having been a Lib Dem or a Remainer. A stupid question. And, of course, completely ignored by the inept Truss.

They all looked terrible. Odds have changed considerably:-

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes, I think they do.

Not in relation to MPs votes-they have all this patronising nonsense before. In relation to the voting of the Members, once get to final 2. and how MPs react to that.

It was awful. Sunak supposedly "won" this. By using the time-honoured tactic of insisting on talking past his allotted time, and generally acting like the privileged Public schoolboy he is. Best example was question to Truss about which she regretted most, having been a Lib Dem or a Remainer. A stupid question. And, of course, completely ignored by the inept Truss.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3
    It will be interesting to see if Tugendhat drops out before todays vote.
    I dont think he will, not least because he has said he wont.
    Although it does seem pointless.
    However, if he did, it would be a massive opportunity for a bit of skulduggery.

The Tory membership seem undecided, as Badenoch led the latest poll.
    Another interesting day.
  • Options
  • Options
    Alastair Campbell: ‘Liz Truss as PM is so appalling it’s almost unthinkable – which means it could happen’

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/alastair-campbell-liz-truss-pm-083032832.html
  • Options
    Liz Truss. The chance for a new start.

Really-she is nothing like Boris Johnson. I mean, Boris was:-

1. A person who was a Remainer, but ditched his principles for political advantage
    2. Managed to convince people that he was to the Right of the Party, when his natural inclinations were One Nation Tory, bordering on Lib Dem
    3. Is currently being propped up by people who never saw anything in his behaviour that would compel them to resign
    4. Has courted controversy in relation to inappropriate workplace liaisons

Nothing like him at all...
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    Agree with some of that.
    Essexphil said:

Really-she is nothing like Boris Johnson. I mean, Boris was (better than Boris is}:-

1. A person who was a Remainer (should have stuck to that} , but ditched his principles for political advantage
    2. Managed to convince people that he was to the Right of the Party, when his natural inclinations were One Nation Tory, bordering on Lib Dem (can't fault that approach}
    3. Is currently being propped up by people who never saw anything in his behaviour that would compel them to resign (take the props away and he has nothing to stand on)
    4. Has courted controversy (not a bad thing in the right place) in relation to inappropriate workplace liaisons

Nothing like him at all...(how could anyone else be that bad)

• Options
    tai-gar said:

Agree with some of that.

Essexphil said:

Really-she is nothing like Boris Johnson. I mean, Boris was (better than Boris is}:-

1. A person who was a Remainer (should have stuck to that} , but ditched his principles for political advantage
    2. Managed to convince people that he was to the Right of the Party, when his natural inclinations were One Nation Tory, bordering on Lib Dem (can't fault that approach}
    3. Is currently being propped up by people who never saw anything in his behaviour that would compel them to resign (take the props away and he has nothing to stand on)
    4. Has courted controversy (not a bad thing in the right place) in relation to inappropriate workplace liaisons

Nothing like him at all...(how could anyone else be that bad)

Think you are missing the point I am trying to make, even though I agree with what you are saying:-

1. Liz Truss is (or was) a Remainer, and is seeking to deny that
    2. She is seeking to get the support of the Right of the Party, even though she is a former Lib Dem
    3. She is one of the few that never felt the need to resign from Government, adopting a "better never than late" approach
    4. She has demonstrated a, er, previous desire for power over loyalty

So-in certain respects-she is that bad.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes, I think they do.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3
    Tomorrows debate is knocked on the head.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes, I think they do.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3
    Knocking any pretence at some form of democracy on the head.

Sunak thinks he has done enough to be in the last 2, and a further debate could damage him.

Truss has been told she is hopeless at this sort of Debate, and is more likely to lose ground to Badenoch than gain it from Mordaunt. She will instead rely on the Press, together with waging the sort of dirty tricks campaign she professes to despise.

And so 2 outvote 3, and the agreed hustings.

Poor.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes, I think they do.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3

Sunak thinks he has done enough to be in the last 2, and a further debate could damage him.

Truss has been told she is hopeless at this sort of Debate, and is more likely to lose ground to Badenoch than gain it from Mordaunt. She will instead rely on the Press, together with waging the sort of dirty tricks campaign she professes to despise.

Poor.
    It is, when the purpose was surely to give their electorate a better idea of who they are, and what they stand for, as well as informing the electorate as a whole.
    Anyone that cant handle a debate is unlikely to perform well as a PM.

Boris was conspicuously absent during the previous leadership campaign.

Are you expecting any shocks today?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes, I think they do.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3

Poor.
    It is, when the purpose was surely to give their electorate a better idea of who they are, and what they stand for, as well as informing the electorate as a whole.

Unlikely.

Briefly thought Tugendhat might pull out, particularly now he has been deprived of the ability to speak. But I think his campaign has been all about positioning himself for a future bid, while securing a Cabinet post.

Might MPs turn against Sunak/Truss for this? Possible, but unlikely.

Expect Badenoch is going to try and make something of all this. But it is unlikely to be enough.

This is likely to get nasty when get to 4 & 3 unless there is some sort of deal.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes, I think they do.

Sunak 11/8
    Mordaunt 5/2
    Truss 10/3

Poor.

Unlikely.

Briefly thought Tugendhat might pull out, particularly now he has been deprived of the ability to speak. But I think his campaign has been all about positioning himself for a future bid, while securing a Cabinet post.

Might MPs turn against Sunak/Truss for this? Possible, but unlikely.

Expect Badenoch is going to try and make something of all this. But it is unlikely to be enough.

This is likely to get nasty when get to 4 & 3 unless there is some sort of deal.
    WARNING: Brief Rant Incoming

This leadership contest appalls me. Not just from the perspective of the quality of the Candidates. From the perspective of Democracy.

One of the main reasons we have ditched Boris is because he ignored the Rules whenever it suited him. Think Partygate. Think Owen Patterson.

So-what do we have now?

1. Candidates deciding to ignore agreed procedure in relation to Debate, and the Party doing nothing about it
    2. Halfway through the Contest, a "Leadsom clause" being mooted, whereby the Final 2 are not allowed to come to a deal, and must go to the Members

I am not saying these things are wrong of themselves.

What I am saying is that the time for changing the Rules is before the contest starts. Not after.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

Tory leadership TV debate shelved amid infighting concerns

"The next live TV Tory leadership debate has been cancelled, after host Sky News said Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss declined to take part......"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62206727