You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Next Conservative leader

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
    Wondered when that would come into the equation

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Of course Britain won't be seen as racist.

That will just be the Conservative Party.

The Right wing of the conservative Party are united in their support for Liz Truss, saying that she is the 1 to carry on with the true ideology of the Conservative Party.

Liz Truss campaigned for Remain-yet now claims that she was wrong.
    Liz Truss used to be in the Lib Dems-now claims that was a mistake.
    Liz Truss refused to resign from Boris Johnson's Government, and has backing from all of Boris' closest political allies.

Which part of this is in any way a fresh start?
    Where is the previous commitment to Party policy?

It could be that the Conservative Party Members see her as the best choice-as opposed to MPs, who clearly do not.

Why?

It could be her brilliant public speaking.
    It could be her uncosted tax plans. Labour would get slaughtered by the Press if they were to campaign on half this giveaway.

Or it could be that she is White.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,575
    Essexphil said:

The Right wing of the conservative Party are united in their support for Liz Truss, saying that she is the 1 to carry on with the true ideology of the Conservative Party.

Liz Truss refused to resign from Boris Johnson's Government, and has backing from all of Boris' closest political allies.

It could be that the Conservative Party Members see her as the best choice-as opposed to MPs, who clearly do not.

Why?

It could be her uncosted tax plans. Labour would get slaughtered by the Press if they were to campaign on half this giveaway.

Well I never get why people need to focus on Race or Gender or whatever. I think my support for candidates is whether I agree with them more then other candidates what I think of their policies and how it affects me. Someone's Racial or religious origins really has no influence on this.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Doubleme said:

Essexphil said:

Why?

Well I never get why people need to focus on Race or Gender or whatever. I think my support for candidates is whether I agree with them more then other candidates what I think of their policies and how it affects me. Someone's Racial or religious origins really has no influence on this.
    The reason is really simple.

Your posts on this topic all seem to centre on what is best for you, particularly in your opinion as to which may be better suited to you playing poker. Nothing wrong with that-you think of what is best for you.

Many people have a similar set of criteria. It's just that instead of "poker", it is "no foreigners"/"no people that I instinctively do not trust".

I certainly do not subscribe to that view. Personally, I don't care if the next PM is White, Black, Brown, or Purple with Orange Stripes.

But some people do. And quite a lot of the people that do are Members of the Conservative Party. Which is why, when we got down to the final 3, the White person standing politically slightly to the Left of Sunak (Mordaunt) or to the Right (Truss) were both more popular with the Members.

Ignoring the Judgment of the MPs.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
  • Options
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Doubleme said:

its looking very very bad last time I checked the bookies had LIz Truss as over 80%!

we going to need a miracle to get Rishi.

We are going to get the PM that the Conservative Party Members vote for.

Rishi Sunak has tried to set out what he considers to be in the medium-long term benefit of the Country.

Whereas Liz Truss has set out what she considers to be the short-term benefit to the tiny sliver of the electorate that actually get a vote. And, of course, the short-term benefit to Liz Truss of being PM.

So-tax cuts and spending increases all round. Because people only think of what is best for themselves, in the short-term.

Will this likely make much difference in relation to Betting Regulation? No.

But I honestly believe that Truss will be a worse PM than Johnson.
    Do you think its all over?
    Best price on Truss 1/5, she is as short as 1/9 in a place.
    Best on Sunak 26/5.
    Keir Starmer should be happy.
    Truss is as short as 1/25 in a place.
    The best odds available are 1/9, and 9/1 respectively.
    Sky News seem to be flogging a dead horse, by continuously advertising their live debate next Thursday.
    Sunak may well have given up long before then.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Doubleme said:

its looking very very bad last time I checked the bookies had LIz Truss as over 80%!

Rishi Sunak has tried to set out what he considers to be in the medium-long term benefit of the Country.

Whereas Liz Truss has set out what she considers to be the short-term benefit to the tiny sliver of the electorate that actually get a vote. And, of course, the short-term benefit to Liz Truss of being PM.

So-tax cuts and spending increases all round. Because people only think of what is best for themselves, in the short-term.

Best on Sunak 26/5.
    Sky News seem to be flogging a dead horse, by continuously advertising their live debate next Thursday.
    Tempting to give up. Other former contenders, such as Tugendhat, have clearly sorted out a job in return for support.

Only an idiot could lose from this position....

The value, at least for me, is on Labour winning the next election.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Doubleme said:

Best on Sunak 26/5.
    Tempting to give up. Other former contenders, such as Tugendhat, have clearly sorted out a job in return for support.

Only an idiot could lose from this position....

The value, at least for me, is on Labour winning the next election.
    According to the polls, he beats either of them.
    Some of his own front bench are not helping though.
  • Options
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak's campaign has come off the rails in the last 2-3 weeks.

Previously, he appeared to be genuinely positioning himself as the voice of reason, or at least reality.

Now? Having seen that the "reality" ticket is a vote loser amongst Con Members, he just seems to be saying any populist thing he can think of.

This is political madness. Either start with what people want to hear, or wait for the "I told you so" golden ticket once Truss gets mullered at the next election.

Outflanked by Truss? That's like being outsmarted by a Rooney.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

How on earth did we get ourselves here? Boris gets ousted, & in comes Truss.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Previously, he appeared to be genuinely positioning himself as the voice of reason, or at least reality.

Now? Having seen that the "reality" ticket is a vote loser amongst Con Members, he just seems to be saying any populist thing he can think of.

This is political madness. Either start with what people want to hear, or wait for the "I told you so" golden ticket once Truss gets mullered at the next election.

It has been a shocking campaign, lacking in common sense.
    His latest income tax blunder just about takes the biscuit.
    Why on earth would he think that a promise of a tax cut within 7 years, would excite anyone.
    People are struggling now, with more bad news just around the corner.

I thought his initial pitch was reasonable.
    Although I think he should have made more of it.
    He should have stuck by his guns, and accused Truss of buying votes with unfunded tax cuts, that would soon backfire.
    He could have promised more temporary help with energy bills.

He has now lost all credibility, and the leadership, barring some sort of miracle.

I just sit here scratching my head about how all these circumstances occurred, and gave us a Truss PM.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

John Oliver Mocks Liz Truss Over Undeleted Tweet Mourning Sex Offender Jimmy Savile

“Truss has a real knack for making bad decisions and then very much sticking to them,” Oliver said. “Exemplified by the fact that this tweet paying tribute to Jimmy Savile, who turned out to be a monstrous pedophile, has still not been deleted 11 years later.”

Liz for Leader
    @trussliz

United Kingdom government official
    Used to see Jimmy Savile at the Flying Pizza on Street Lane, Roundhay. Always in good spirits. RIP

3:32 pm · 29 Oct 2011·Twitter for BlackBerry®

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/john-oliver-mocks-liz-truss-050900382.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Sunak shortened up a bit, best priced at 13/2, although 9/2 in a place.
    Truss best priced at 1/6, although many still offering 1/12.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,030
    Tikay10 said:

As the old saying goes...Be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

These have moved quite a bit since last night.
    Sunak best price 6/1, although most of them go 4/1.
    Truss best price 2/9, but most go 1/6.
    This is quite a significant change.
    Most of those that were going 1/12 on Truss last night, now go 1/6.
    Most of the 9/1 that was on offer last night about Sunak, is now 4/1.
    Ten Hustings left.
    On line voters can change their minds.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Ten Hustings left.
    The reason for this is very simple.

Only an idiot could lose from here.

But Truss is an idiot. That said, the people who are advising her will try to ensure that she is prevented from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Amusing to see that pretty much all of the original Candidates are now backing Truss. Which in no way means they believe she should win. Just that they think she will, and want a nice Cabinet post.

So-as usual-the Tories are spitting on Democracy.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Ten Hustings left.
    The reason for this is very simple.

Only an idiot could lose from here.

But Truss is an idiot. That said, the people who are advising her will try to ensure that she is prevented from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Amusing to see that pretty much all of the original Candidates are now backing Truss. Which in no way means they believe she should win. Just that they think she will, and want a nice Cabinet post.

So-as usual-the Tories are spitting on Democracy.
    Its a pity that Sunak seems to be helping her.