You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Next Conservative leader

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077
    HAYSIE said:
    Pretty much.

For the 3rd election in a row, the Tories have been elected in on a manifesto for all the people of Britain. Then, once elected, decide to vote for a new manifesto purely for their own Party Members, and 5hit on the electorate.

Remember all those politicians who supported Boris. And then knifed him. Who then moved to support Rishi. And then knifed him before he was even elected. And didn't even turn a hair. When Gove is 1 of the few people who are being honest, we really are being lied to.

All these politicians. Who told their leaders/putative leaders 1 thing. And did the opposite. Who told the electorate 1 thing. And then did not actually do it. Again. And are about to give us Liz Truss. Poundland Maggie. Without the brain.

Don't believe the 4th set of lies at the next Election.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,413
  • Options
    ANDREW NEIL: If she becomes the next Prime Minister, it's not the Labour MPs in front of her Liz Truss would need to watch out for...it's the Tories behind her

ANDREW NEIL: When Liz Truss (centre and top left picture: right) takes up residence in 10 Downing Street on September 6 - which, let's face it, is by far the most likely outcome of a protracted and petty Tory leadership contest - she will face some of the most daunting challenges of any prime minister in recent times. A vicious cost-of-living squeeze caused largely by soaring energy prices. No end in sight to the war in Ukraine (bottom right), the single most important cause of the spike in fuel bills (bottom left: Protestors outside Ofgem HQ after an 80% rise in the energy price cap). Double-digit inflation, with some City forecasters predicting it could hit 18 per cent. Growing industrial unrest, with rail workers and refuse collectors already on the picket lines but many more key workers threatening to walk out this autumn in a bid to win pay rises in step with inflation, producing the risk of a 1970s-style wage-price spiral in the

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11150663/ANDREW-NEIL-Liz-Truss-Prime-Minister-needs-watch-Tory-MPs-not-Labour.html
  • Options
    I honestly thought that Ms Truss would struggle to find a Home Secretary worse than Priti Patel. But if the rumours are true, and it is to be Suella Braverman, I rather fear that she will go down in history as the worst Home Secretary ever.

There seems to be a lot of Senior Tories who (for varying reasons) want no part of a Truss Government.

Rishi Sunak, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Michael Gove, Boris etc.

Meanwhile, Ms Truss appears to have acquired a new nickname, shared by rather a lot of Conservative MPs:-

"Dim Lizzy" :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I honestly thought that Ms Truss would struggle to find a Home Secretary worse than Priti Patel. But if the rumours are true, and it is to be Suella Braverman, I rather fear that she will go down in history as the worst Home Secretary ever.

There seems to be a lot of Senior Tories who (for varying reasons) want no part of a Truss Government.

Meanwhile, Ms Truss appears to have acquired a new nickname, shared by rather a lot of Conservative MPs:-

Its not looking good.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I assume that you think this will end in disaster for them at the next General Election?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I assume that you think this will end in disaster for them at the next General Election?
    Can never be sure. I can only presume Suella Braverman will be there to prove that there are even worse people than Truss. Mind you, that has been the role of Home Secretaries more often than not.

The Press will (as usual) do everything in their power to try and shoehorn another Tory Government in. And then, as per usual, they will ditch Truss and give us yet another unelected leader with a radically different manifesto. Spitting on Democracy. Yet again.

Have to say that, due to fuel, utilities, inflation, Ukraine etc, it looks like a really good election to lose...

I don't believe in the "Great Reset" nonsense. However, if things carry on as they are, there is a real risk of serious Civil unrest in this country. Not at Sri Lanka levels, but still to a point where it will make the current climate change activists look like the middle class public schoolboys they are...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Can never be sure. I can only presume Suella Braverman will be there to prove that there are even worse people than Truss. Mind you, that has been the role of Home Secretaries more often than not.

The Press will (as usual) do everything in their power to try and shoehorn another Tory Government in. And then, as per usual, they will ditch Truss and give us yet another unelected leader with a radically different manifesto. Spitting on Democracy. Yet again.

Have to say that, due to fuel, utilities, inflation, Ukraine etc, it looks like a really good election to lose...

I don't believe in the "Great Reset" nonsense. However, if things carry on as they are, there is a real risk of serious Civil unrest in this country. Not at Sri Lanka levels, but still to a point where it will make the current climate change activists look like the middle class public schoolboys they are...
    JRM is apparently tipped for the levelling up job.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Cabinet Government works best when the best people are chosen.
    Less well when they are chosen solely from supporters.
    Worse still when you rule out those with a particular view.
    Boris proved this when he ruled out remainers, and those who supported other candidates.
    A good Cabinet will have diverse views.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Liz Truss lining up Cabinet return for Iain Duncan Smith and party chair for Penny Mordaunt

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/liz-truss-lining-up-cabinet-return-for-iain-duncan-smith-and-party-chair-for-penny-mordaunt/ar-AA11cJuH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=72d9933eb52de64fd3d85f2d24113169
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Liz Truss lining up Cabinet return for Iain Duncan Smith and party chair for Penny Mordaunt

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/liz-truss-lining-up-cabinet-return-for-iain-duncan-smith-and-party-chair-for-penny-mordaunt/ar-AA11cJuH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=72d9933eb52de64fd3d85f2d24113169
    Braverman will be terrible. As will Iain Duncan Smith.

Thought Kwasi Kwarteng would be OK as Chancellor-but he is already talking in meaningless soundbites, which is not a good sign.

This could be the least able Cabinet in living memory.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    To be fair the Tories have managed “Levelling up” perfect ( in Tory eyes)
    Everyone is paying London prices who don’t live in London.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,598
    Iain Duncan Smith is even worse than JRM. He is a callous bar steward.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

The Tory runners and riders who could be appointed to Liz Truss' Cabinet next week: Kwarteng for Chancellor, Cleverly as Foreign Secretary, Rees-Mogg as Business Minister and Coffey to Health (but 'no posts for rivals Sunak, Sajid or Raab')

Leadership hopeful Liz Truss has been holed up at Chevening, her grace-and-favour home in Kent, considering potential members. Among those set to play key roles are Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng (pictured), who is likely to be her Chancellor. The pair share a political philosophy and also a street, as they are neighbours in south-east London. Attorney General Suella Braverman is expected to be Home Secretary. The former leadership challenger is believed to have discussed her plans for the brief with Ms Truss.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11177337/Kwasi-Kwarteng-Suella-Braverman-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-tipped-senior-roles-Liz-Trusss-cabinet.html
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,034
    Trivia question:

When was the last time a PM and the Monarch shared the same christian name?
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

Trivia question:

When was the last time a PM and the Monarch shared the same christian name?

Great question.

I think it is William Lamb, normally known as (2nd) Viscount Melbourne, and William 4th, 1835-37.