You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Supreme Court rules the Government's Rwanda policy is UNLAWFUL

Comments

• Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 529
    Aren't the Mail and Express just the most awful papers? Almost as bad as the current government - you would have to be an idiot or a scumbag to vote Tory at the next general election.

Just picking up on Doubleme's point about pushing people back to work: I had the day off on Friday and went into my local town to pick up a prescription, do some Christmas shopping and treat myself to a pint. In the prescription queue and pub I saw a number of people that would be ripe for being forced back to work by the Tories (in theory). All of them 55-65 with serious physical and/or mental health problems and almost none of them capable of returning to work. I've no idea what job the policy makers think these people are capable of. Whatever it is, many people are just too far gone from returning to work and being able to handle it neither physically or mentally. If the Tory MPs spent any time in their constituency, they would realise it in ten minutes like I did.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,785
    Bean81 said:

Aren't the Mail and Express just the most awful papers? Almost as bad as the current government - you would have to be an idiot or a scumbag to vote Tory at the next general election.

Just picking up on Doubleme's point about pushing people back to work: I had the day off on Friday and went into my local town to pick up a prescription, do some Christmas shopping and treat myself to a pint. In the prescription queue and pub I saw a number of people that would be ripe for being forced back to work by the Tories (in theory). All of them 55-65 with serious physical and/or mental health problems and almost none of them capable of returning to work. I've no idea what job the policy makers think these people are capable of. Whatever it is, many people are just too far gone from returning to work and being able to handle it neither physically or mentally. If the Tory MPs spent any time in their constituency, they would realise it in ten minutes like I did.

imo they only say this stuff because they think its what the majority want to hear......in reality nout will change, they will just waste more money paying more people to do more medicals, that come to the same conclusion as the last ones ;)
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111

Bean81 said:

imo they only say this stuff because they think its what the majority want to hear......in reality nout will change, they will just waste more money paying more people to do more medicals, that come to the same conclusion as the last ones ;)
    Many Governments have said this, only to quietly stop it later.

The simple truth is that it costs more to try and catch people out than to pay them.

"Medicals" are carried out by people with little or no qualifications or training. Usually a limited amount of medical training and absolutely zero training in relation to fitness for work. Let's use a common problem-back injuries.

A "medical" for such people is inevitably going to be a "snapshot"-whether someone was fit to work on that 1 day. Who is going to employ someone who may take 50% of work time off sick, and doesn't know the day before whether they will be fit for work the next day?

That's before we look at the people with mental health problems.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,534
    Essexphil said:

Bean81 said:

Many Governments have said this, only to quietly stop it later.

The simple truth is that it costs more to try and catch people out than to pay them.

"Medicals" are carried out by people with little or no qualifications or training. Usually a limited amount of medical training and absolutely zero training in relation to fitness for work. Let's use a common problem-back injuries.

A "medical" for such people is inevitably going to be a "snapshot"-whether someone was fit to work on that 1 day. Who is going to employ someone who may take 50% of work time off sick, and doesn't know the day before whether they will be fit for work the next day?

That's before we look at the people with mental health problems.
    There have always been people that game the system.
    Then there are those that are genuinely sick/mentally ill/disabled, and unable to work.
    The problem for any government is to address the first category, without the people in the second category getting caught in the crossfire.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

"There have always been people that game the system."

And there we have it.

It's very easy to point fingers at the Government, & very often correctly, but it IS a very difficult problem to deal with.

There ARE more than enough gaming the system, & there ARE plenty of genuine cases.

Trying to distinguish between the two is an impossible task, & I'm not sure we can just make the assumption that all the Government are doing is penalising the genuine cases.

Anyone wearing the Government's shoes here - Tories, Labour or anyone else is on a hiding to nothing.

And while it's deeply offensive to most of us that genuine cases may get caught in the net, it's equally offensive - to me at least - that some folks game the system.
  • Options
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,785
    Fast forward a year and we will have the papers tell us there is a shortage of workers and we need more migrants :)
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited December 2023

Fast forward a year and we will have the papers tell us there is a shortage of workers and we need more migrants :)

Yes we will
    This is having a major impact, but no one is mentioning it....
    Wonder if they will be checking vax status of the migrant workers coming in?

https://news.sky.com/story/thousands-of-care-home-staff-to-lose-their-jobs-as-mandatory-covid-19-vaccine-deadline-passes-12465668
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,279
    Tikay10 said:

And there we have it.

It's very easy to point fingers at the Government, & very often correctly, but it IS a very difficult problem to deal with.

There ARE more than enough gaming the system, & there ARE plenty of genuine cases.

Trying to distinguish between the two is an impossible task, & I'm not sure we can just make the assumption that all the Government are doing is penalising the genuine cases.

Anyone wearing the Government's shoes here - Tories, Labour or anyone else is on a hiding to nothing.

And while it's deeply offensive to most of us that genuine cases may get caught in the net, it's equally offensive - to me at least - that some folks game the system.

The last time my wife applied for P.I.P. we had to go to tribunal despite her having already being paid the relevant benefit for over 12 years. It was usually awarded in 3 yearly increments.

At the first tribunal the solicitor acting for the DWP asked for an adjournment in order to investigate her medical records more thoroughly. My was happy for that to happen as the records gave more weight to her claim.

When the case was heard again the DWP legal people didn't even bother to show up and the panel awarded my wife the full amount for both mobility and personal care and awarded it for 10 years, citing that the DWP gave no consideration to the fact that my wifes condition is degenerative and therefore will never get better and that the whole delay had been a waste of the panels time, money and resources.

The delay meant that we had to borrow about £3,000 off my mother because although the benefit is backdated, until a decision was made we had no income as my Carers allowance and the Income Support were stopped and because we weren't claiming these the right to Housing and Council Tax benefit ceased.

The real kick in the nuts was that I was not allowed to find temporary work to bring money in whilst this was sorted as this would have caused any entitlement to end and all benefits would need to be reapplied for.

The whole mindset of the system is to deny every claim in the hope that the claimant will give up. Every appeal is refuted until the tribunal is the only way to go. To quote 1 DWP legal representative at an earlier tribunal

"Yes we know it's a degenerative condition but that doesn't mean it won't get better".

These are the people making decisions that really affect peoples lives.

• Options
  • Options

Tikay10 said:

And there we have it.

The last time my wife applied for P.I.P. we had to go to tribunal despite her having already being paid the relevant benefit for over 12 years. It was usually awarded in 3 yearly increments.

At the first tribunal the solicitor acting for the DWP asked for an adjournment in order to investigate her medical records more thoroughly. My was happy for that to happen as the records gave more weight to her claim.

When the case was heard again the DWP legal people didn't even bother to show up and the panel awarded my wife the full amount for both mobility and personal care and awarded it for 10 years, citing that the DWP gave no consideration to the fact that my wifes condition is degenerative and therefore will never get better and that the whole delay had been a waste of the panels time, money and resources.

The delay meant that we had to borrow about £3,000 off my mother because although the benefit is backdated, until a decision was made we had no income as my Carers allowance and the Income Support were stopped and because we weren't claiming these the right to Housing and Council Tax benefit ceased.

The real kick in the nuts was that I was not allowed to find temporary work to bring money in whilst this was sorted as this would have caused any entitlement to end and all benefits would need to be reapplied for.

The whole mindset of the system is to deny every claim in the hope that the claimant will give up. Every appeal is refuted until the tribunal is the only way to go. To quote 1 DWP legal representative at an earlier tribunal

"Yes we know it's a degenerative condition but that doesn't mean it won't get better".

These are the people making decisions that really affect peoples lives.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that there arent genuine claimants that are fully entitled to claim benefits.
    Nor that strict rules need to be implemented by treating people unfairly, or harshly.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
  • Options
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,603
    The Tory Right are revolting. Now there's a thing.

Is that a statement or description of action.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

The Tory Right are revolting. Now there's a thing.

Is that a statement or description of action.

Both?
  • Options
    edited January 16
    I just don't get it.

They will run out of time-an election will come before anything meaningful in relation to Rwanda. At least £400 million spent. Not 1 refugee sent.

In their ideal dream world, might get 1 flight before the Election. Say 400 people. At £1million per person. It's nothing to do with what is best for the Country. It's just self-interest.

People vote for certainty. Not for some new bloke or woman to be Tory leader to replace the bloke who replaced the woman who replaced the bloke who replaced the woman who replaced the bloke who quit over Brexit. Less than 8 years ago.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I just don't get it.

They will run out of time-an election will come before anything meaningful in relation to Rwanda. At least £400 million spent. Not 1 refugee sent.

In their ideal dream world, might get 1 flight before the Election. Say 400 people. At £1million per person. It's nothing to do with what is best for the Country. It's just self-interest.

People vote for certainty. Not for some new bloke or woman to be Tory leader to replace the bloke who replaced the woman who replaced the bloke who replaced the woman who replaced the bloke who quit over Brexit. Less than 8 years ago.

Mourinho thought of applying.

But even he stays in a job longer than that :)
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    gather round gather round the great puppet show is coming to your town follow me take a seat aour magical screens will make you believe all that we please , were the kings of illusion we choose what the truth is , gather round gather round