You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited August 2016

gosh, is that what you look like?  i expected you to look like homer.

it is admirable to see what you are achieving.

(unless, that is a photo of another runner.)

• Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,581
    edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    gosh, is that what you look like?  i expected you to look like homer. it is admirable to see what you are achieving. (unless, that is a photo of another runner.)  
    Posted by aussie09

Of course it is!  That's the guy that won it, isn't it?

AWESOME achievement JJ......BUT I echo Gary3Q's advice.  It's all too easy to get carried away
    with training at this stage.  

An old running buddy of mine had a saying.."ALL runners fall into three categories...
    1. Injured,
    2. Recovering from an injury, or
    3. Waiting to get injured.

p

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited August 2016

Haha thanks guys. 

Picture hype! Never had so many replies to a post so quickly :)

It isn't the first time though, here is one I posted a couple of months ago from my first ever park run.

I'm the t it behind the nipple. 
  • Options
    ajmiltonajmilton Member Posts: 1,458
    edited August 2016
    Amazing story JJ, inspirational  to say the least.
    Congrats on doing a sub 1 hour in the 10K. 
    I hope your progress continues with the weight loss, and the running.
    Also that you hit your target with the fund raising.
    Good luck in the half marathon. 

Regards Alan 
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,581
    edited August 2016
     And there was me rocking up in an over-sized t shirt and chill shorts. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Lycra is your friend.  It'll shave 3/4 minutes off your 10k time!  ;-)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Lycra is your friend.  It'll shave 3/4 minutes off your 10k time!  ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    Now that a picture has been posted, you can see it most certainly is not! :)

---

Official result is in. 

58 mins and 58 seconds, finishing 128th out of 172 people. 

Not so bad, but much to improve on next time.

----

Thanks for more kind words Alan/Aussie/AJ and to AJ for the very generous donoation of some of his PLO8 winnings to the Mayflower Sanctuary taking the total up to £200! (plus some gift aid on top).

I'm rate chuffed with how the fund raising is going, an extra thanks to phantom and others who helped convince me to go for it.  :) 

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,409
    edited August 2016

Very well done yesterday JJ. What a year you have had, what with the joggering & dietering.

Have to say, you don't look anything like 15 stone. How tall are you?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    In Response to  Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Now that a picture has been posted, you can see it most certainly is not! :) --- Official result is in.  http://imgur.com/a/wY0tN 58 mins and 58 seconds, finishing 128th out of 172 people.  Not so bad, but much to improve on next time. ---- Thanks for more kind words Alan/Aussie/AJ and to AJ for the very generous donoation of some of his PLO8 winnings to the Mayflower Sanctuary taking the total up to £200! (plus some gift aid on top). I'm rate chuffed with how the fund raising is going, an extra thanks to phantom and others who helped convince me to go for it.  :) 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    In amongst all this back-slapping & chest thumping I must introduce a moment of seriousness here.

AJ has poker winnings? 

Say what?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Very well done yesterday JJ. What a year you have had, what with the joggering & dietering. Have to say, you don't look anything like 15 stone. How tall are you?    
    Posted by Tikay10
    6 ft exactly TK. 

I'm quite broad around the shoulders, and also had a semi-serious body building phase in my late teens, so I've always carried my substantial weight quite well.

I have a before and after pic from when I started trying to change things, it's really quite shocking the state I got myself in to. 

Maybe I'll post it when I'm a little braver, maybe if/when I can hit my fund raising goal :)

Or maybe not...

----

Last week of the month for poker. (Yes, I am still playing cards too). Need a good one to limit the damage.

GL all Grinders. xxx
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : 6 ft exactly TK.  I'm quite broad around the shoulders, and also had a semi-serious body building phase in my late teens, so I've always carried my substantial weight quite well. I have a before and after pic from when I started trying to change things, it's really quite shocking the state I got myself in to.  Maybe I'll post it when I'm a little braver, maybe if/when I can hit my fund raising goal :) Or maybe not... ---- Last week of the month for poker. (Yes, I am still playing cards too). Need a good one to limit the damage. GL all Grinders. xxx
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    You look to be around the right weight to me, especially for a man of 6ft in height. The textbooks tell us what we "should" weigh, but that is all nonsense & is best ignored.

I too had a body building phase in my teens, or, more correctly "circuit training" in a gym & bulked up considerably, & the legacy of that has been with me ever since, & I struggle to get down to 12-7 these days. You may have a similar problem.

I don't think you look overweight at all.
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    edited August 2016
    Great stuff DOHH.  Which charity are you running for and can you post link please?  Many Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Great stuff DOHH.  Which charity are you running for and can you post link please?  Many Thanks.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Thanks mate. 

The charity I'm trying to help out is my local dog shelter.

I've been volunteering there for 5/6 months now, it's an amazing place run on a shoestring budget by Jennie and her small team of dedicated staff. 

It might sound silly but the place has helped me recover from alot of the problems that I faced, we've adopted 3 dogs from there who have brightened our lives and given me courage, motivation and energy to get up and out and re-build my life. 

I mentioend a while back in here that I had some upsetting news, the 2nd dog we adopted sadly died in a really really unfortunate accident.

He was only a young dog and had so much to offer, it was really quite tragic and very upsetting the way it happened. But it gave me more motivation to battle on and achieve my goal, and hopefully raise some money to donate to help his old friends, human and canine, back at the shelter, to at least do him a little bit of justice. 

That's not an X factor type sob story aimed to get people on side btw. haha. 

The link to my page is here...

Thanks again to everyone who has donated so far, £200 will buy alot of dog food and treats xxxx

• Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    edited August 2016
    Many thanks and great work.  Shipped :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Many thanks and great work.  Shipped :)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Thanks very much bud, and thanks also to GaryQQQ, legend of the forum and huge supporter of this thread, for the donations this morning, we are inching up to half way towards the goal with a few weeks to go. 

Cannot thank everyone enough, the support on here over the last 15 months has been incredible. 

tytytyttyy.

---

Runbad continued this morning.

Or maybe it was play bad. 

Probably both. 

Managed to get into, and then out of a 6 buyin hole. 

Hopefully tonight goes a little more smoothly. Just 1 time, play and win a couple of buyins no dramas?

plz? 

• Options
    edited August 2016

Good Morning everyone. 

I'm posting for some advice really. I could just PM Gary direct, but I thought i'd combine it with a little update and to let you guys know whats going on. 

---

So yesterday I attempted to do my final endurance run before the half marathon (11th September).

The idea was to just take it very easily for 10 miles, and then stop. No speeding up, no sprint finishes or anything. Just a very slow boring 10 mile jog to make sure I felt ok at the end about doing another 3 miles.

It didn't quite go according to plan.

For 7 miles it did, and I felt great, very comfortable.

Then a torrential and persistant downpour hit when I was 4 miles from my car. 

For 5 minutes it was very enjoyable running in a storm. But then I got absolutely sodden to the bone, my shirt and shorts were soaked through and it became very unpleasant. 

I decided to speed up to get back to the car ASAP, so by the end I was shattered, totally out on my feet. 

I did feel really good after 7 miles though, do you think this is enough to feel confident about the 13 miler? Or do I have time before the 11th to attempt it again?

Maybe Tuesday/Wednesday next week and use it as my final preperation?

---

I'd also like some more specific advice on how to prepare in the 10 days leading up to the event?

Of course I should taper off my training, but should I still be doing bits?

Shouild I stick to swimming only?

Park run the week (8 days) before the race?

How many full rest days should I have directly before the 11th Sept? 

Any tips on things to/not to eat the day before the race?

----

All these are probably not that important but having gotten this far I really don't want to mess things up. I'm very nervous. 

Thanks in advance to Gary and anyone else who can help me out :)

----

It's not long until I have to post a poker report for the month. Gulp. 

Alot of regular readers will know I'm friends with Donald.

You know when firends play eachother, they say they really really really want to beat eachother. 

Almost to the point that it can look like chip dumping.

Decide for yourself. 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    The_Don90 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £22.07
    walks2311 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £26.26
      Your hole cards
    • K

BungarBack Call  £0.20 £0.50 £21.74
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £0.80 £1.30 £29.83
    DSgooner Fold     
    The_Don90 Raise  £2.10 £3.40 £19.97
    walks2311 Fold     
    BungarBack Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £1.40 £4.80 £28.43
    Flop

The_Don90 Bet  £2.40 £7.20 £17.57
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £2.40 £9.60 £26.03
    Turn

The_Don90 Bet  £6.00 £15.60 £11.57
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £6.00 £21.60 £20.03
    River

The_Don90 All-in  £11.57 £33.17 £0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £11.57 £44.74 £8.46
    The_Don90 Show
    • Q
    • Q

DOHHHHHHH Show
    • K

The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, Queens and 7s £42.94  £42.94

----

Massive thanks to another long term skypoker pal of mine, Acegooner for his massive dono to the Mayflower Sanctuary yesterday. 

It's taken me to within a gnats nacker of being 50% of the way to my goal.

When I first started playing on here there was alot of hype about the solid sky poker community. 

Almost all of the money I've raised so far has been donated by sky poker players, none of whom i've ever even met. 

Shows that some of that old community spirit is still there.

Can't thank you all enough, the Sanctuary are blown away by your support.

Thank you. 

Enjoy your weekends. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    edited August 2016

As to advice & preparations for The Big Run, I can't assist much EXCEPT for this question;

"Any tips on things to/not to eat the day before the race?"

I'd be avoiding prunes.
  • Options
    mattprawnmattprawn Member Posts: 632
    edited August 2016
    Hi Dohh

Glad to see running continues to progress well.  If you don't mind some input from me, I can add a few thoughts on your questions from my own experience.  

Firstly, from what you've posted, I'd be very confident that you'll be fine for the half marathon on the 11 September even if you don't go out again between now and then.  However, if it were me...

A lot of distance running is mental rather than physical and it's great to be confident that you can achieve the distance as you stand on the start line.  Therefore, if it were me, I'd go for one final "long run" this weekend.  Take it easy so your last memory of a long run is a positive one,  I'd suggest running first 10 miles at around 30 seconds per mile less than your normal comfort level and then finishing strongly if you feel you have it in you.

I'd carry on doing park runs up to the weekend before and then probably find time for one 4 or 5 mile easy run in the middle of the week leading up to the main event.

Most important though is the day itself.  Don't do anything different to what you would do if it was a training run on your own.  Don't try and do a massive carb load the night before and definitely don't use a load of energy drinks or glucose tablets that you haven't used in training.  Final bit of advice, which I never quite manage to get right, is to take it very easy on the day itself for at least the first half.   The danger of the adrenaline buzz, feeling physically great etc makes it tempting to go off far too fast - I've always got far more out of running all the way round and finishing fast than the opposite, even where the latter led to a better overall time.

all the best

Matt
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited August 2016
    Very good advice from Matt, I agree with pretty much everything he has said. You don't really need a long drawn-out taper for a half-marathon. Another long run a week before race day will be fine. Eat normal food, etc. It's easy to worry too much about your first big running event. You are definitely ready and I'm confident you'll complete the course. All the hard work is in the bank, the only thing you need fear now is an injury bad-beat.

His pacing advice is spot-on, essentially he's urging you to repeat what you've already done in the 10K. Spending the last few miles overtaking the many people who started too fast is much more fun than being one of those being overtaken.

If it weren't for that storm I'm sure you'd have finished that 10 miler without any difficulty. Perhaps the lesson here is that you need to buy some kit. Proper running stuff is very light, it doesn't carry much sweat/rain and drys very quickly. If you were in the kind of gear you had on at the 10K it would have weighed you down heavily, stuck to you, rubbed in an unpleasant manner. A horrible way to have to run. Cheap Sports Direct stuff (Karrimor) is fine in my experience, just as good as expensive brands.

• Options
    mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited August 2016
    DOHHHHH you are super hot! 
    Congrats on the 10k too :))
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    DOHHHHH you are super hot!  Congrats on the 10k too :))
    Posted by mrsduck
    This comment alone deserves TOTP to be brought back for a week. 

Ta Duck :)

----

& ty Matt, Gary & TK, just the sort of stuff I was after. 

I kind of knew even before asking the questions, that unless the advice was "definitely dont" I was going to go for another 10 miler early next week. 

Mainly for the mental game reasons Matt stated. 

Althought I'm very confident I can get the distance, there is still doubts. A steady 10 miler should kick them to the curb. 

I've got to confess I found the run yesterday really boring. 

What I love is pushing myself to go the extra mile (quite literally) where the brutal battle between mind and body is at its most fierce, blasting through the pain barrier to improve on PBs (be it distance or speed).

So just running within myself with no real end goal did bore me abit. 

Maybe it was just an off day. And I guess training is supposed to be hard and often monotonous, it's the end goal I'm after and it'll all be worth it. 

---

Park run tomorrow however is the total opposite.

Already excited to get out and take on my PB again. 

Without a doubt it's the highlight of my weekend. Bring it onnnnnnn <3

---