You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    Good even numbers. Mile 8 was the fastest, looks to me like you paced it very well. Just need to extend the stamina a little. You're not far off, carry on doing whatever you've been doing in training. If you're still losing weight that helps obviously. Each pound lost is a pound less of dead weight you have to carry around with you. Personally I don't buy into the hype of expensive branded running shoes. I use Sports Direct's own brand (Karrimor). I bought two pairs online recently for £30 total. They feel great to run in and I never get any problems with blisters or injuries. I'm doing a crazy run tomorrow lol. Will tweet details. #mad
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Cheers Gary, I've just ordered myself a pair. 

Added some 'running socks' too, going to look all 'pro' at Saturdays park run :)

I'm intrigued . . . . . 
  • Options
    Darkangel7Darkangel7 Member Posts: 2,585
    edited July 2016
    Where do you run dohhh? 
  • Options
    SAV4BPSAV4BP Member Posts: 304
    edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : I have to know that I can do it though, right? Today I was absolutely spent, every single yard beyond 9 miles felt like a mile in itself. I know from brief park run experience that support and adrenaline can help alot, but for me to expect it to carry me another 4 miles when I'm running on complete empty would be alot to hope for. Especially if I'm thinking of running for charity. I would not be happy about advertising myself as 'running' a half marathon, and then having to walk part of the way. Most people can do that, I could do it 3/4 months ago. I have to all but guarentee that I can run the whole distance, that was the challenge to begin with regardless of charity involvement. Maybe you mean I should get to a stage where I can run 10 miles comfortably? ie, voluntarily stop after 10 miles, knowing I could go on for more.  That would make sense, but I'm a long way off that. Lots of work to do! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No you dont have to know you can do it. one night having had a few drinks to many i was cajoled into doing a 40 mile event that takes place each year in our town for local charities. i trained for nearly a year but the most i walked in any session was 10 miles. on the day it took me 11 hours but i did it and as Gary says the people doing it with you will help you get round. Good luck with the half marathon, you will succeed.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Angel, I run over and round the old pit top about 5 minutes walk from my house. 

There's loads of fields and bridlepaths and walkways etc and a couple of woods, then a massive playing field in the middle of it all alongside a farm with horses/cows/sheep that you can run through, and next to all that is Doncaster Rovers Training ground. 

I love to walk/run around new places though, you might know of Cusworth Hall. I took the dog for a run round there last week. 

The hill is brutal!!!!

Also if you find 2 quid somewhere on that beast of a hill, it's mine ! :D 

----

Back in from Park run this morning.

It was kind of a last minute decision to go, and I missed the start by 10 seconds. As well as being at the back of the pack and taking a further 10 seconds to reach the start.

However my unofficial time recorded by myself was 28 mins, 56 seconds, which takes a further 23 seconds off last weeks unofficial time, and is my 4th PB in a row. 

If I keep improving forever i'll end up doing it in 1 minute. Its inevitable. 

----

Poker since last update has been a struggle. 

'Crushing' on Party 25nl winning @ 11xbb/100 over 32,000 hands. 

Being 'Crushed' on sky. Probably losing at a similar rate over a much smaller sample. 

Down £153

Roll = £2474.67
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Morning Y'all. 

Endurance Tuesday has been and gone, and more progress has been made towards my goal of 13.1 miles. 

After adding on an extra mile and feeling way way better both during and after the run, I'm now confident that I will be able to run a half marathon start to finish by my deadline of September 11th. 

I think the possibility of it actually happening has just gone odds on. 

However I am struggling to find one!

I don't suppose there are any lurkers on this thread?

That's a long shot in itself.

Any lurkers who can somehow wrangle me an invite to the actual Great North Run?

1 time?

No? 

agh. 

The best option geographically outside of that seems to be Bolton, on the 4th September.

I have a problem though, I'm really really terrible at sleeping in alien places.

I can't even sleep on my own sofa.

So, with an early morning run, it'd be a disaster to stay in a hotel or something and have a poor sleep the night before.

Ideally I'd want to sleep in my own bed and travel to the race on the day. 

10am start, in Bolton, on a Sunday, wouldn't be ideal for travelling via public transport.

ayahhhhhhh 5 weeks to sort it. 

---

Poker = sucks. 

Results for August at the end of August xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited August 2016
    For the Half Marathon.

The bigger events this close out, have a look for any charities you would choose to run for advertising spaces, probably the only way in. 

Hotel the night before? I know what you mean, get it myself, There was an article on BBC news a bit ago, apparently we feel less secure in a strange place and are so more alert to threats. Our primal instincts haven't evolved to learn we are unlikely to be jumped by a pack of wolves in a bolton travellodge.

I suspect sleep might be a problem the night before your 1st half marathon, even in your own bed? But if that is the plan:

Get a friend/relative to give you a lift if public transport is a problem early on a sunday morning. Sure there will be plenty of volunteers. In fact here is a pledge, I'll do it myself if there are no other takers and I live in Lancashire.

Have you joined a running club? May be an event where there is a group travelling together/ organisaing lifts/minibus.

Or compromise slightly on timing? There is a Mablethorpe half marathon on 2 October. 

GLGLGLGLGLGLGL

• Options
    edited August 2016

Hi phantom. 

Compromising on timing would be the sensible thing to do, but I want the satisfaction of completing the goal as I set it out months ago when many wrote me off. 

Having said that, this running 'hobby' (?) isn't just a phase, I absolutely love it. I love working hard at something and seeing progress, it's a great feeling. 

So the mablethrope race is definitely a possibility for my 2nd half marathon. I know mablethorpe quite well, had some fun caravanning holidays there in my early 20s, and actually played my first ever real money live poker game in a backstreet pub when I was there. 

-----

Yesterday was Park Run day again.

I've fallen into a kind of natural exercise pattern, of Park Run Saturday, Endurance Tuesday, where I push myself as hard as I can, with 2 swimming sessions on other days and lots of dog walking inbetween. 

Of those days, park run is by far my favourite. I love testing myself against the clock and finishing ahead of runners who have previously given me a good pasting. 

I did some research and set myself some pace setting notes to try and ensure I got my 5th PB in succession. 

However I went abit ott and ended up shaving 1 minute and 19 seconds off last weeks time. 

My 5k PB is now over 5 minutes faster than the first time I ran it 5 weeks ago. 

On the negatives, I've just done over 60 potential PBs in 1 run. 

So it's going to get increasingly tougher to keep my PB streak going.

I wonder what the record is for consecuative PBs in park runs? 

-----

Poker has been up and down this week.

As promised, results will be here at the end of the month. 

I'm playing some higher stakes this month, (albeit still pretty small stakes) so I don't want to get distracted by short term results. 

Going to blast out some decent volume for the month and then look at things. 

I have over 1k points though !!!! :o 

Send the rakeback this way xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited August 2016
    Hi phantom.  Compromising on timing would be the sensible thing to do, but I want the satisfaction of completing the goal as I set it out months ago when many wrote me off.  Having said that, this running 'hobby' (?) isn't just a phase, I absolutely love it. I love working hard at something and seeing progress, it's a great feeling.  So the mablethrope race is definitely a possibility for my 2nd half marathon. I know mablethorpe quite well, had some fun caravanning holidays there in my early 20s, and actually played my first ever real money live poker game in a backstreet pub when I was there.  ----- Yesterday was Park Run day again. I've fallen into a kind of natural exercise pattern, of Park Run Saturday, Endurance Tuesday, where I push myself as hard as I can, with 2 swimming sessions on other days and lots of dog walking inbetween.  Of those days, park run is by far my favourite. I love testing myself against the clock and finishing ahead of runners who have previously given me a good pasting.  I did some research and set myself some pace setting notes to try and ensure I got my 5th PB in succession.  However I went abit ott and ended up shaving 1 minute and 19 seconds off last weeks time.  My 5k PB is now over 5 minutes faster than the first time I ran it 5 weeks ago.  http://imgur.com/a/N0osZ On the negatives, I've just done over 60 potential PBs in 1 run.  So it's going to get increasingly tougher to keep my PB streak going. I wonder what the record is for consecuative PBs in park runs?  ----- Poker has been up and down this week. As promised, results will be here at the end of the month.  I'm playing some higher stakes this month, (albeit still pretty small stakes) so I don't want to get distracted by short term results.  Going to blast out some decent volume for the month and then look at things.  I have over 1k points though !!!! :o  Send the rakeback this way xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not long until you change age category! Which in theory should be a good thing as you'd expect the over 30's to be less fit than the 25-29.

Congrats on the progress made, it's really impressive.
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited August 2016
    Incredible progress. I hope you get the transport sorted and make it to the start line in Bolton. You're definitely ready, physically and mentally. You've some so far in so little time since Couch to 5K. 

Considering where you started, to accomplish the half marathon target on time will be a major life achievement, something you'll be proud of forever.

Your spectacular run of Parkrun PBs won't last forever. Be mentally prepared for the inevitable 'slower than last time' result. Much like with weight loss, and poker, your running results will include plateaus and occasional backward steps. If long-term progress is in the right direction all is good, minor blips don't matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thanks again for the nice words chaps. 

Since Saturdays Park Run I've had a severe tiredness downswing.

I was reading a magazine in the barbers last week which said Kale can cause fatigue.

The last 2 times I've had kale in my smoothies I've been wrecked for 48 hours afterwards.

Placebo?

Probably just another meaningless pattern I've spotted but I'm going to give it a miss for a while and see what happens. 

---

Anyway that means endurance Tuesday has become endurance Wednesday this week.

But to make sure yesterday wasn't a waste and to help ensure motivation remains high during these unpleasant periods I've gone ahead and entered myself into an actual half marathon on the 11th September (deadline day).

I figured its getting really late now and if I at least have an entry somewhere then the dream is alive. Even if I don't make it for whatever reason it's worth the 20 quid to give myself a chance. 

I found this one 

It's a little closer than Bolton and this line sold it to me ....

"For the novice runner this fast and flat half marathon is a perfect introduction to a longer distance. For the more seasoned racer it is a genuine PB opportunity."

So... we're in! 

It's happening ! 

Pray for DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH again xxxx

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,492
    edited August 2016

What amazing progress you have made in a few months, JJ.

It does not seem long since you said you could never do these things, & even a Park Run seemed like a mountain climb. Now you are setting PB's every run, & the Half-Marathon is coming up shortly.

Keep it going, the hardest part is not only behind you, but is between your ears. And you've conquered that already. 

• Options
    edited August 2016

Thanks TK. 

It has been a long tough journey, and it's really exciting that the end is in sight! :)

I canny wait for 9/11 ! 

A half marathon and then endless twin towers documentries, fascinating stuff! 

----

I'm just in from endurance Tuesday (on a Wednesday)

I've been feeling pretty low of late, combination of the tiredness and just generally being a miserable s0d I suppose. 

Having dropped 7 buyins in 400 hands this morning, It was hard work getting myself up and out but I feel so much better for doing so. 

The temptation to go on and do the final mile was massive, but Mr.Q has offered sound advice throughout the training and I'm not to run the full distance in training!

Probably shouldn't have gone as far as I did. 

1.0 mi11:41 min/mi-26 ft
    2.0 mi11:34 min/mi62 ft46 ft
    3.0 mi12:22 min/mi30 ft46 ft
    4.0 mi12:20 min/mi49 ft-
    5.0 mi12:01 min/mi-36 ft
    6.0 mi11:48 min/mi26 ft3 ft
    7.0 mi11:08 min/mi20 ft33 ft
    8.0 mi11:28 min/mi23 ft20 ft
    9.0 mi11:41 min/mi26 ft30 ft
    10.0 mi11:19 min/mi-23 ft
    11.0 mi11:02 min/mi23 ft23 ft
    12.0 mi10:46 min/mi39 ft36 ft
    12.20 mi10:27 min/mi30 ft-
    Splits ^^

So, 1 more mile to find......

30 days to find it. 

Vamosssssssssssssssssssss. 

• Options
    edited August 2016
    GL.

If you are raising money for charity please post details.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    GL. If you are raising money for charity please post details.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Thanks Phantom. I'm really undecided on the charity thing.

I know alot of people have differing views on charities, and then I'd wonder if people would feel the cause is worthy, giving money to help homeless dogs when there's other charities such as cancer research etc that can help save human lives. 

I'm not sure how it would go down, it might be a huge fail which would make me feel cra p py. 

I'm going to speak to a few friends about it overnight. I know a few people who wont mind being brutally honest with me about the idea of running for charity and the likelihood of it being a success.

With exactly a month to go until the off I'd need to get it up pretty sharpish, so i'll post again with news, or otherwise, tomorrow. 

---

I didn't overlook your post offering me a lift by the way, that was incredibly generous.

I remember Vespa offering to put me up if I chose his local marathon, and also GaryQ offering to run it with me!

So much support over the 15 months on here, it's been quite mind blowing. 

The thread has, and continues to drive me forward through the tough periods like the last few days.

We're nearly there! 

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I think we can all see how incredibly far you have come.

We can also see how much the dogs home and the 2 new additions have helped you.

I expect there are more than a few dog lovers on this site too. 

I already pledged £10 so its there for you. If you dont want the added pressure of raising money formally for the run, just pm me the address of the home and I'll send a cheque.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

OK having spoken to a few pals and the people at the Dog Shelter I've decided to go for it.

Here is my link.

I've set the target quite low at an amount where if I crash and burn and get zero donations I can just about afford to cover the whole lot myself haha. 

So they will receive > 400 squid regardless. 

I guess that wasn't the case before I decided to do it, so thats a big positive already. 

In the lead up to the race I'll also play some charity poker where winnings (if i can actually make some this month for once) will be thrown in too. 

-----

I haven't mentioned weightloss for a while because over the last month or so because It's kind of gotten stuck.

I've been breaking even on the weigh ins, when previously it was falling off. And i've not done anything different.

However this week it's dropped 3 lbs already, and I'm now within 1 lb of being 15 stone for the first time since I was 16.

I've never mentioend actual numbers before but I started the year @ 19 stone 8 and weighed in yesterday @ 15 stone 1. 

When I saw the 15 stone 1 figure, it was 8am. 

I decided not to have any breakfast or  a brew or anything, until I needed the toilet, in the hope that it would drop.

So I starved myself for 4 HOURS until I finally needed to go.

Then weighed in...

15st 1 and 1/4.

FML.

how is that possible. ???

---

Enough toilet talk.

Swimming and poker today. I get my new car on Monday too :)

Have a great weekend y'all. 

• Options
    edited August 2016

Wow, just wow.

So let's get this right.

This year - so far - you have lost 4.5 stones (63lbs), and from getting puffed out on a short walk, graduated to regular Park Runs, including a string of PB's, & a half marathon is just around the corner. Which you WILL complete successfully.

You, JJ, have just added a good 20 years to your expected lifespan. (T & C's apply, if you get run over by a bus, all bets are off).

That is just the best thing ever. Unreserved congrats to you.

I don't use "JustGiving", but if you PM me your Bank Details, I'll send a modest donation.

Oh, & I told you before, with weight loss, forget short term, weighing yourself twice a day & all that nonsense (we all do it). It's like poker variance - think LONG TERM. In a few days, for sure, you will be 14st xlbs.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Thanks Phantom. I'm really undecided on the charity thing. I know alot of people have differing views on charities, and then I'd wonder if people would feel the cause is worthy, giving money to help homeless dogs when there's other charities such as cancer research etc that can help save human lives.  I'm not sure how it would go down, it might be a huge fail which would make me feel cra p py.  I'm going to speak to a few friends about it overnight. I know a few people who wont mind being brutally honest with me about the idea of running for charity and the likelihood of it being a success. With exactly a month to go until the off I'd need to get it up pretty sharpish, so i'll post again with news, or otherwise, tomorrow.  --- I didn't overlook your post offering me a lift by the way, that was incredibly generous. I remember Vespa offering to put me up if I chose his local marathon, and also GaryQ offering to run it with me! So much support over the 15 months on here, it's been quite mind blowing.  The thread has, and continues to drive me forward through the tough periods like the last few days. We're nearly there! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If anyone ever doubted the value of Diaries, gg them.

Diaries really do help, & part of that is that the regulars here support each other.

Well done you, & all those who have been with you along the journey.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Wow, just wow. So let's get this right.   This year - so far - you have lost 4.5 stones (63lbs), and from getting puffed out on a short walk, graduated to regular Park Runs, including a string of PB's, & a half marathon is just around the corner. Which you WILL complete successfully. You, JJ, have just added a good 20 years to your expected lifespan. (T & C's apply, if you get run over by a bus, all bets are off).   That is just the best thing ever. Unreserved congrats to you. I don't use "JustGiving", but if you PM me your Bank Details, I'll send a modest donation.   Oh, & I told you before, with weight loss, forget short term, weighing yourself twice a day & all that nonsense (we all do it). It's like poker variance - think LONG TERM. In a few days, for sure, you will be 14st xlbs.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks TK, I've sent over a PM. 

I didn't anticipate any problems with justgiving, but if anyone would prefer to get a dollar or 2 over to me another way plz ask for bank details, or you can use my pokerstars alias copps18xxx (pretty girl smiling avatar)

---

In the meantime, the downswing is continuing . . . . . .
  • Options
    edited August 2016

^^^^

Have replied to your PM. I need a bit more info - like, your name......