You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited July 2016
    A little more improvement in times and distances and you are ready for the ice baths. Brrrrr gl.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    Nice work dohh pretty crazy the progress you've made. I'm based right next to roundhay park now so was thinking of getting involved in one of the park runs sounds like decent way to spend a saturday morning. As you said judging by rate of improvement since you started gotta be feeling optimistic,  surely it's less of a task than what you have managed between when you started and now.
    Posted by benc
    Oh, mbn Ben!

Getting up and out running would be alot easier with that Park on my doorstep, I loved it there on my 1 brief visit. 

From my experience walking through the suburb there is no shortage of exotic takeaway options there either. 

All sorts of tastes and cuisines catered for. It was pretty surreal for someone as poorly travelled as I am. A real experience <3

May struggle if you fancy a standard English chippy though :)

----

How's the HU going?

I'm finally, (and it really does feel like FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYY) starting to get some confidence in my mind/body, enough to move up and start playing some semi-serious poker again. Now that that's beginning to happen we will have to finally get round to doing that bit of HU work. 

Any sort of real study/poker work has felt pretty pointless thus far, given the off table struggles. May be getting there though.

---

ty Geldy & Chilling! :) 
  • Options
    bencbenc Member Posts: 1,057
    edited July 2016
    Yeah seems really nice round here, only just moved from Essex so don't really know the place very well but has defo increased motivation to exercise by a huge amount, people seem like 3x times more friendly as well a welcome change. Yeah sure always up for discussing/working on game, don't go on skype much these days so just pm me on here. HU is going well thanks just turned into an emotionless robot the last few months :), thinking about doing some work on spins over the next few months to add them to the grind seeing as stars seem to be pushing all the action that way these days, you considered them/played any at all? 
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Spins sound like the worst game for me Ben. 

I've played a few micro ones and during the spin I'm half hoping I don't land a big game because I'll get too scared :D

Making an error in a game on a huge spin after waiting days/weeks for that 1 single game would just destroy me.

----

Day 2 of 40/40 

Miles = 2.82. 

Hours played = 8h 20 mins. 

Results = 

- £52.08

+ $132 (96.64)

= £44.56 on the day 

Roll = £2542.81

If I can learn to fold again I'll be alright on sky. Totally different game to what I've been playing.

-----

total hours played = 10h 20 mins /. 40 total miles = 12.82 / 40
    5 days remaining. ----- Getting the swimming trunks out again tomorrow for early risers :) It's been 10 years since I last swam. I hope I can remember how it's done. Then a long 10 mile walk home is the plan afterwards. I may have to bail out at some point though :/ Then I guess poker after! Lots of work to doooooooooooooooooooooooooo   
  • Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited July 2016
    Spins are boss.

I've been grinding them for around 9 months. There is so much variance built into them that you have to be able to cope with swings. But upswings in them are beautiful.

New strategy spots, recreationals who are very recreational, big spinning wheels... what's not to love?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Pretty good day today all round. 

Managed 30 lengths at swimming, which is ok for a first shot. And is probably going to hurt alot in the morning.

The walk home was only 6 miles, so I added a 2.7 mile tonight to get over halfway with the mileage part of 40/40. 

3 and half hours of poker too, plain sailing for most of the day but ruined at the end by me trying out a microgaming site and getting pummelled. 

Wasn't a fan of the software, couldn't get it set up right and get outplayed alot too. Not a pleasant experience. 

Sky = + £11 

bwin = +$85.16  (£64.85)

Microgaming = - £32

Total = + £43.85.

Roll = £2586.66 

-----

40/40 challenge

Miles completed = 21.8/40

Hours completed = 14 / 40

----

Tomorrow all about the pokerz. But first I've never been so excited to SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP ! 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    40/40 DONE. 

I needed to borrow 2 hours of monday to walk the final half mile and play the final hour of pokerz. 

Results 

Thurs. 

Sky = Minus £37.75

Bwin = Minus £94

= - £131.75 on the day.

-----

Friday

Bwin = +12

Sky =  Minus £63 

= Down £51 on the day. 

----

Saturday

Sky = Positive £49.50

Bwin = Plus £38

= Up £87.50 on the day 

Sunday

Sky = losing £43.89

Bwin = Winning £86.45

= Profit of £42.56 on the day. 

----

Overall...

BWIN = +£192.95

SKY = -£84

Other = -£30

Total = £78.95

http://imgur.com/7YouEvM

40 hours & 1 extra minute. ^^^^

In conclusion, Donald was right.

I would get a better hourly working in a Malaysian shoe factory.

-----

Exercise...

Finished off this weekend with the park run yesterday, recording a time of 29 mins 30 seconds. Or thereabouts. 

Kicked for home a mile out this time. 

1/4 of a mile out I was wishing I'd kicked for home 3/4 of a mile out.

Pain.

Then 8.5 mile walk this morning, thinking that was enough. 

Got home to record it, and realised I needed another half mile to top 40 miles, so went for a 1am stroll this morning. Cannot be defeated by a poxy half mile!!!

http://imgur.com/0HLNWuC

----

Total rest day tomorrow from exercise, then on Tuesday I'm going to set off jogging slowly and jog and jog and jog until I'm absolutely flat out and cannot go another yard. 

And see how far that is. 

Then make a decision on how realistic this half marathon goal is. 

I'd really like to raise some £ for the rescue kennells I've been volunteering at. Each time I go there I'm impressed even more by the passion and commitment of the staff and management. And the positive impact dogs have on peoples lives makes it, imo, a great cause. They rely heavily on public support, so if I can make them a few bob as well as volunteering my time that'd be great. 

Need to get fitter though!

First, toast and bed :) 

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited July 2016
    VWP on the health front. Amazing to read how far you have come in the last 6 months.

Half Marathon. Just Do It. £10 ready and waiting for your JustGiving page.

Sorry to read there has been some real life upset. Had some myself, too sad to post hence my diary hasn't been updated for a while. 

• Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,581
    edited July 2016
    Very well done on the "fitness regime" & sorry to hear about the life issues.  
    Pretty awesome life changes over the last year....keep it up.

When I first joined sky poker your essay on cash poker (which was about 20 pages long) 
    was one of the first things I read.  
    Most of it went totally over my head of course (at that time I knew zilch about poker) 
    but I remember thinking ...this poker thingy can't really be THAT hard?

How WRONG I was!!!!

p

• Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited July 2016

something fantastic for you.

since january 2014 there have been 14,768 major tournaments on sky poker.  well over 50,000 players in them with 4,792 players playing at least 100 games.  the meaningful result amongst these is the percentage of games cashed. 

You are the 12th best player on Sky Poker.

Well done, you have a fine game.

www.PokerSuperHero.com/cash

• Options
    edited July 2016

That is indeed awesome Aussie, thank you. 

I've been sent at least 1 version of your tables at least once a day every single day since you began doing them. 

You may (or may not) be surprised how popular they are. 

So for me to appear on that 1 proving I'm the 12th best player on skypoker and probably in the world has made my day.

Obviously the 11 above me are just running good. 

---

Ty for the kind words phantom & Pad. 

"that poker thingy" as you put it Pad, imo, gets harder and harder the more you try to learn. 

It's really messing with my head at the moment. 1 day up, the next right down. What a challenge it is. 

aghhhhhhhh

-----

Cancelled the run today.

The weather gave me an easy out. 

Maybe tomorrow. 
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited August 2016
    You're probably at least the 12th best runner on Sky Poker too. 3+ minutes faster over 5K is a massive improvement, very well done. When I said I saw a sub-30 in your future I wasn't expecting you to bang it out just like that at only your second attempt.

The all-time average Parkrun run-time is 27-43 (see the stats at the bottom of their homepage). You'll probably go faster than that too if you keep the training up.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    You're probably at least the 12th best runner on Sky Poker too. 3+ minutes faster over 5K is a massive improvement, very well done. When I said I saw a sub-30 in your future I wasn't expecting you to bang it just like that out at only your second attempt. The all-time average Parkrun run-time is 27-43 (see the stats at the bottom of their homepage). You'll probably go faster than that too if you keep the training up.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Haha maybe 1 day Gary. For now I'd be happy with best 1212!

Not long in from my third park run this morning. 

I was in 2 minds about going, I played snooker with a few or 6 beers on thursday and felt it on Friday. Then I woke today with a little tummy trouble. But forced myself to get myself up and out and clocked an official time of 29mins 16 seconds. (although my own unofficial time was 10 seconds quicker, I always start at the back of the pack with the old codjers, it takes us a while to reach the start line :)

The first race I took part in, towards the end I got involved in a race to the line with some random young lass, from about 400m out she kept looking behind her and doing just enough to hold me off. I could not get past her, didn't have it in my legs. 

It was a good battle, gave her a hi 5 at the end and told her i'd get her next time! :)

Anyway 'next time' I didn't see her during the race at all. After checking the results I saw that she blitzed me, (and her own PB) by over a minute.

Today I was coming up to a bend on the course during the final mile. I was sure that I saw her coming out of the turn I was about to enter, about 200m ahead of me. 

Decided to steadily increase the pace until I was on her shoulder with about 400m remaining.

I knew I didn't have much left, so I tried really hard to stay out of her peripheral vision, if she saw me she'd speed up for sure. 

With about 200m left, I decided I had to go for it, and put in a full on sprint to blitz past her. It was a big gamble coz I was out on my feet. 

Luckily it paid off, I think the speed that I passed her at put her off the idea of trying to re-catch me. Even though I was basically at walking pace for the last 100 yards. 

What a thrill :)

Ok it was 'only' a kid. and a girl. but fu! haha. 

Mo is next!!! 

-----

Rough time of it at poker for the majority of the week.

Cannot get anything going on here, but bwin is keeping the roll steady. 

Currently @ £2627.67.

Have a few challenges in mind for next week. GL all on Z grindz. 

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Great stuff, even faster again.

There are always loads of these 'race within a race's going on between entrants of similar abilities. It all adds to the fun and inspires us to go that little bit faster. There's a competitive spirit in all of us, particularly poker players. A running race is pretty much guaranteed to bring it out.

I'm delighted with my 47-23 in the Exeter 10K on Wednesday. In the same event I finished in 49-39 last year, 50-43 in 2014. I got the pacing just right for once, managing a coveted negative split (running the second half faster than the first half). In the final couple of miles I passed at least a dozen other runners without any passing me. I'll be trying my best to go even faster next year.

May you run as well on the poker tables as you are in the parks :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Nice work with the times Gary.

I was chuffed with 29 mins for 5k, you've done 2x 5ks in a row both faster than 25 mins!

I've got a long way to go :)

----

Not long in from my first endurance run for a while.

Decided to use it as an assessment to see where I am with the half marathon training.

Set off jogging and wanted to jog till I couldn't anymore. 

1 hour and 49 minutes later....

<3

It's a little bitter/sweet.

I'm over the moon with 9.2 miles, within 4 miles now of half marathon distance...

But I really really wanted to crack 10 miles, it felt so close.

Unfortunately I wanted to stop even more, so I 'settled' for the 9.2.

The last .2 was so tough, but I think I could've got to 10 if I wanted it enough.

Around 6 weeks to go until the provisional half marathon date, and 4 miles to find.

Can I do it????

--------------

I've been looking around for some local 10ks. 

Found 1 in Grimsby but apparently it's "full".

How? 

Just let me tag on the back end ffs. 

----

Poker since last roll update...

Alot of hours, not alot of profit.

+£40 bwin

- £6 sky. 

Roll = £2667. 

---

Going to eat 10 sarnies then sleep for a week xxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    edited July 2016

For what it's worth, the longest run I did in preparation for my first half-marathon was 11 miles, which I did two weeks before the event.

You do not need to, and should not, run the full distance in training. On the big day the spectator support and adrenaline rush you get when closing-in in on the finish line will carry you the rest of the way. 

Full races; the most annoying thing is that 20% of those with entries won't turn up on the day. Everything from the Hull 10K to the London Marathon. Such is life.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    For what it's worth, the longest run I did in preparation for my first half-marathon was 11 miles, which I did two weeks before the event. You do not need to, and should not, run the full distance in training. On the big day the spectator support and adrenaline rush you get when closing-in in on the finish line will carry you the rest of the way.  Full races; the most annoying thing is that 20% of those with entries won't turn up on the day. Everything from the Hull 10K to the London Marathon. Such is life.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I have to know that I can do it though, right?

Today I was absolutely spent, every single yard beyond 9 miles felt like a mile in itself.

I know from brief park run experience that support and adrenaline can help alot, but for me to expect it to carry me another 4 miles when I'm running on complete empty would be alot to hope for.

Especially if I'm thinking of running for charity.

I would not be happy about advertising myself as 'running' a half marathon, and then having to walk part of the way.

Most people can do that, I could do it 3/4 months ago.

I have to all but guarentee that I can run the whole distance, that was the challenge to begin with regardless of charity involvement.

Maybe you mean I should get to a stage where I can run 10 miles comfortably?

ie, voluntarily stop after 10 miles, knowing I could go on for more. 

That would make sense, but I'm a long way off that. Lots of work to do! 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I had pretty much the same approach as you going into my first, my thinking was 'It's supposed to be a running event, not a walking event, I don't care how long I take as long as I manage to run the full distance'. Which I managed to do.

You'll know when you're ready. Don't rush in. Over-prepared is better than under-prepared. Obviously if you're utterly exhausted after 9 miles you're not quite there yet. But you're not far off either. When you can run 10, or 11, and stop knowing the tank wasn't quite empty you're good to go. You should taper (cut back the training miles) in the run-up to the actual race. So your legs will be fresher than usual, which helps carry you the rest of the way too.  

The best thing to do on the day is go really easy for the first three miles, treat it as a warm-up jog. Then all you have to do is run 10 at your normal pace, which you know you can do from the training.

Getting over-excited and starting too fast is far and away the #1 most common mistake. It's a disaster, your legs will be knackered with several miles to go. I did this myself recently in the Torbay Half. Missed my PB by 32 seconds after fading really badly in the second half because I went 15/20 seconds per mile too fast in the first half. Avoid :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Thanks Gary, all good advice.

Here are my 1 mile split times from the 9.2 mile run.

It's pretty consistant throughout, aside from the last .2 of a mile where I was out on my feet. 

I'll definitely not be getting carried away early in any race, unless it's on a stretcher! 

----

Do you have any reccommendations for some good outdoor running trainers? Shops/Sites/Brands?

• Options
    edited July 2016

Good even numbers. Mile 8 was the fastest, looks to me like you paced it very well. Just need to extend the stamina a little. You're not far off, carry on doing whatever you've been doing in training. If you're still losing weight that helps obviously. Each pound lost is a pound less of dead weight you have to carry around with you.

Personally I don't buy into the hype of expensive branded running shoes. I use Sports Direct's own brand (Karrimor). I bought two pairs online recently for £30 total. They feel great to run in and I never get any problems with blisters or injuries.

I'm doing a crazy run tomorrow lol. Will tweet details. #mad