You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,168
    edited May 2017
    Been a bit distant recently so missed the earlier post, but well done on the result and hope you found your tyre :)

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited May 2017

Morning Y'all. 

So a little elaboration on the above now my limbs have recovered sufficiently for me to brave sitting on an actual chair at the computer. 

Race Start @ 9am.

Advised to arrive no later than 8.30 due to a 10 minute walk from the car park to the Race HQ. 

No problem.

Alarm 5.30am. 

Shower 5.45am. 

Cuppa #1 6am. 

Still 3 hours to go. 

Porridge & Cuppa #2 6,30am. 

6 bathroom visits 6,30am -----> 7am. 

Hashtag Nerves. 

Dressed 7.15am. 

Bag Prep 7.20am. 

Leave house and drive to venue, 7.30 am (25 minute Journey)

Arriving into Scunthorpe on schedule, no traffic, no delays, 7.55am. 

Car begins to thunderously shake for no apparent reason, 8am. 

Back left Tyre pops 8.01am. 

Sh it. 

A game within a game now. 

8.25am. Old man arrives to help me out due to me not being able to adult on my own. 

8.40am. Tyre is changed, traffic is significantly worse, 3 miles away from the car park and a further 10 minute walk from the start line. 

8.50am. Park up. 

8.58am. Arrive at the start line having ran uphill for half a mile :/ 

8.59am. Pee behind a tree whilst trying to stretch :/ 

9.00am Made it. Why am I doing this to myself?????

11.05am = Done it! I want to do it again !!!!!!

11.15am - Eat a chocolate muffin <3

11.20am - Traditional post race bottle pose pic. 

----

Im over the moon with the result. 

The one thing I love about running, and competative running (against myself and the clock, not other people) is that you get out exactly what you put in. 

No luck, no variance, no run good or run bad. 

In poker you can work harder than anyone else in the game, and still go 6 months without winning a tournament. 

Likewise you can rock up to the main event having never played above $5 MTTs, never read a poker book, article, watched a strategy vid, used training tools, or anything, and go ahead and make the final table. 

In a way that of course has it's own appeal, it's probably how many of us got in to the game, and indeed why some of us are still playing the game. 

But the re-assurances that come with running make me love the game (game? sport?). 

If I work hard I WILL succeed on race day. 

If I don't, i'll fall flat on my face. 

Not literally.

Well, maybe literally. 

For that reason, as Gary said above, I know I can get sub 2 hours this year, if I don't ill only have myself to blame. 

And I love that sort of motivation. 

Heres to the next one, likely to be the Humber Bridge Half Marathon on 25th June which I entered last month because it sounded "fun". Apparently this one is very unlikely to be a PB shot, but it should be a good experience and great training running a race with lots of ups and downs (i hate hills) :/ 

Maybe I can squeeze one in inbetween now and then! 

Back out for a wee jog later on today, i've been itching to get out again since Sunday, definitely got the running bug back and I'm not letting the fitness levels drop this time!

I can't wait!  :)

*Edit* Ive just been infomed via the sticky note on my desktop that Sunday was also the 2 year anniversary of me packing in the ale and starting to try and fix everything I'd screwed up throughout my 20s. 

2 yrs and 2 days sober. 

Gna celebrate with a drink! Cheers :)
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    edited May 2017
    Well Done DOHHHHHHH X
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    edited May 2017
    Long time lurker (anyone remember The Lurkers-great band).

There was a time when I feared for you. Now you are an inspiration, both to yourself and others. Well done.

Phil
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    Long time lurker (anyone remember The Lurkers-great band). There was a time when I feared for you. Now you are an inspiration, both to yourself and others. Well done. Phil
    Posted by Essexphil
    Thanks Paige, and Thanks Phil, very kind words that mean alot. cheers. :)

• Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    edited May 2017
    Long time lurker (anyone remember The Lurkers-great band). There was a time when I feared for you. Now you are an inspiration, both to yourself and others. Well done. Phil
    Posted by Essexphil
    +1
  • Options
    ajmiltonajmilton Member Posts: 1,458
    edited May 2017
    Nice one JJ, 
    looks like you got your mojo back.
    Keep at at it lad. 

Regards Alan (fancy playing the plo8 champ...go on av a go)

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : +1
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    Quickfeet-you are an inspiration to EVERYBODY!
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    edited May 2017
    Hi Dohhhhhhh,

Congratulations on your PB.

The turnaround you have managed in the last 12+ months is truly amazing.
    I have no doubt you will achieve the sub 2 hours on your next run with your effort and determination.

I hope you find the answer at the fatigue clinic.

Keep up the posting. Even when you think there is nothing interesting to write, it is still a pleasure to read.

Good luck
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited May 2017
    gr8 write up Dohhhh - Inspiring stuff - congrats on the PB
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited May 2017

HI JJ ,
              You should be very proud of yourself ,
    A very very WD from me .

Kind Regards
                        Denis
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited May 2017
    Congrats on the PB
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    edited May 2017
    played mate and like i said in one of me earlier posts , inspirational
  • Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited May 2017
    Dohhhhhhhh legend

You read any Voltaire yet?
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    edited May 2017
    Still lurking
    Great stuff re PB and tyre change.
    Love it when lives are turned around for the better, be proud of yourself ( just the one celebratory drink ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Good Morning! 

.....and thank you to everyone for more kind works. 

Back home from my wee hollibobs now, having had a nice week away in not so Sunny Bridlington. 

Of course I overdid it, pizza and chips, chinese, kfc, curry x 3, ice cream, beer x 333, etc. 

I've gained 10 lbs in 6 days. 

How does that even happen. 

Some people eat this stuff every day for years and dont gain anything. 

14st 12 becomes 15st 8 in the blink of an eye. 

was it worth it?

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa course it was. lovely week with good people. 

----

I booked via sunholidays, getting 4 nights in a very very nice modern caravan that sleeps 6 people for £58, with on site entertainment included. 

Although I booked for only 2 people, the cost would have been exactly the same for 4 people. 

4 people, 4 nights, £60 = £3.75 per person per night. 

Such a great promotion especially for people with young families. 

Well, for anyone really. 

With lots of availablility and parks all over the UK (and indeed continental Europe) it's definitely worth checking out if you want to treat yourself or your family to a break on a limited budget. 

(search for the sun holidays facebook group and read the pinned post, all the information and codes etc are there)

------

Back on the exercise grind today, got that wee bit of weight to shift and the Humber Bridge half marathon to aim for in 5 weeks time. 

9 miles done before 9am and a bike ride to asda to look forward to to fill up on healthy veggies ! 

I'm going to start trying to use the car less now the weather is improving, as theres really no excuse to drive alot of the places I go.

Not that I ever really go anywhere, but still.

Anyway, brocolli and bananas incoming. 

Have a productive weekend y'all ! :) 

• Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    edited May 2017
    So Happy you had a nice time away DOHHHHHHH,Please keep us up to date with your training for the Humber Bridge half  marathon,good luck and I no how you feel about the gain in weight, I only have to look at a bar of choc and heck where did that gain come from, my husband can eat and eat and never gain one ounce, Kid you not DOHHHHHHH, My very best wishes I send you love paige xx
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,499
    edited May 2017
    Good Morning!  .....and thank you to everyone for more kind works.  Back home from my wee hollibobs now, having had a nice week away in not so Sunny Bridlington.  Of course I overdid it, pizza and chips, chinese, kfc, curry x 3, ice cream, beer x 333, etc.  I've gained 10 lbs in 6 days.  How does that even happen.  Some people eat this stuff every day for years and dont gain anything.  14st 12 becomes 15st 8 in the blink of an eye.  was it worth it? yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa course it was. lovely week with good people.  ---- I booked via sunholidays, getting 4 nights in a very very nice modern caravan that sleeps 6 people for £58, with on site entertainment included.  Although I booked for only 2 people, the cost would have been exactly the same for 4 people.  4 people, 4 nights, £60 = £3.75 per person per night.  Such a great promotion especially for people with young families.  Well, for anyone really.  With lots of availablility and parks all over the UK (and indeed continental Europe) it's definitely worth checking out if you want to treat yourself or your family to a break on a limited budget.  (search for the sun holidays facebook group and read the pinned post, all the information and codes etc are there) ------ Back on the exercise grind today, got that wee bit of weight to shift and the Humber Bridge half marathon to aim for in 5 weeks time.  9 miles done before 9am and a bike ride to asda to look forward to to fill up on healthy veggies !  I'm going to start trying to use the car less now the weather is improving, as theres really no excuse to drive alot of the places I go. Not that I ever really go anywhere, but still. Anyway, brocolli and bananas incoming.  Have a productive weekend y'all ! :) 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Been there, done that, & I agree, how DOES that happen?

We can put 10 lbs on in no time, easy peasy, but losing 10lbs is another kettle of fish altogether & takes us a month or more.

And nice food - sausages, bacon, sticky buns, thickly buttered toast is all BAD for us, & piles on the weight. Meanwhile, broccoli, brussel sprouts, onions, greens & other vegetables, which are the devil's food, are supposed to be GOOD for us. How wrong is that? 

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Been there, done that, & I agree, how DOES that happen? We can put 10 lbs on in no time, easy peasy, but losing 10lbs is another kettle of fish altogether & takes us a month or more. And nice food - sausages, bacon, sticky buns, thickly buttered toast is all BAD for us, & piles on the weight. Meanwhile, broccoli, brussel sprouts, onions, greens & other vegetables, which are the devil's food, are supposed to be GOOD for us. How wrong is that?   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes, if ciggies, chocolate, thickly buttered toast, cakes, biscuits and bacon rolls were actually good for you then I would probably be a shining example of good health!

I always wondered why we tend to crave all the calorie laden junk food...

Well the answer to that can be found in evolutionary psychology. Back in the human species less evolved days food could be quite scarce. The people who ate a lot of high calorie food survived (for obvious reasons) and passed the high calorie craving genes onto us via natural selection. So now we are all mostly hard wired to crave all the high calorie food. So yup, I blame the ancestors!

I remember watching a food show on TV I found quite amusing about a year ago. This guy was severely overweight and housebound. The doctor advised him to eat healthier etc and about 3 months later they took his weight. The doctor asked if he had been eating better and the man replied... 'Yes, mostly just fruit'. The scales indicated the chap had put on around 2 stone though and the doctor was puzzled. The doc asked the man exactly what he had ate the day before to try and get an idea of what was going on. The chap replied 'only oranges yesterday, yes, 87 oranges'. The doc done a kind of facepalm and said 'well, yeah if you eat 87 of pretty much anything a day you are probably going to put on weight'...

I guess that means if I stay clear of oranges and stick to only 4 or 5 bacon rolls a day I should be fine :)
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited May 2017
    Hiya Dohhhh -  Have you got a link to that thread/post  you did ages ago on strategy for 2p/4p

Thx